PDA

View Full Version : Burlesque Trio WIP

Jon Bradley
04-09-2015, 02:03 AM
So, I wanted to do some more, larger images that were, well, things of interest (lol) I got an idea to do a painting for my girlfriend's burlesque (a hobby of hers) troupe and try and tackle something that's challenging for me and a decent size. The ladies at Music City Burlesque In TN are happy to see it, so no pressure! :lol:

Here are some rough-ins and progress. It's 30"x40" on canvas.

Jon Bradley
04-09-2015, 02:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/1966978-srtart11111111111111.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/1966978-10922269_10152674507226619_3553004781185563033_o.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/1966978-PART_1428559146279_20150409_005747.jpg

I still have a ton of work to do, but they are starting to look like, one day, they might resemble people! :) Fear not, they are wearing pasties!

I almost (err... probably should have for time reasons) graphed this out before painting, but I'm just not comfortable painting in lines and such that much.

I porbably won't tool the value and color until way later. May surface finish the whole thing right now with a gloss medium to smooth it out--the canvas is kind of rough for skin.

Thanks for looking! Feel free to make fun! :cat:

cliff.kachinske
04-09-2015, 05:32 AM
Interesting to see how you developed this. Seems to be working out fine.

bluefish
04-09-2015, 07:00 AM
lucky you!.....it sure beats painting flowers....:D

ColinS
04-09-2015, 10:16 AM
This is coming along well, actually. A very interesting project! A modern twist on the classical paintings of nudes.

Raymo
04-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Oh I like this !

Jon Bradley
04-10-2015, 01:58 AM
thanks everyone!

Hah, my thoughts exactly, blue! (lol) I was struggling with something that i really "wanted" to paint. So, yeah, I agree. :thumbsup:

Stumble, I just go. Cover the canvas at all costs. Personally, not real into classical under-drawings, and i'm impatient. I just sight-size it and roll with it. I'm learning a lot!

Yeah, the gloss medium with a palette knife really~ leveled everything out nicely, like, a lot. I might have to start prepping boards and stuff that way.

bluefish
04-10-2015, 09:18 AM
I wonder if that one in the front is busy this weekend?....:angel:

chammi kaiser
04-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Oh I like this !

So do I. Looking great.

Jon Bradley
05-17-2015, 07:30 PM
I thought i'd show some updates to this. Life/work has been pounding away, but I'm finally getting some paint time in for this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2015/1966978-11227891_10152750004516619_3059549759944304269_o.jpg

It's coming together, but it sure has been challenging doing this size without any sort of under-drawing or grid lol.

Still tooling the top lady's torso, and I had to axe the left lady's face since ive taken the pic unfortunately, but I'm more content with the overall structure.

A big weakness I've had is tapping into the darker values. I don't know why I get so shy about them, but I'm beginning to see them more.

Thanks for looking.

Bob in Florida
05-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Coming along very well I'd say. Those are real women:lol: :angel:

Jon Bradley
05-18-2015, 04:40 AM
^Haha, Yes, sir, they are. Believe me, they work harder than almost anybody I know and look better doing it! :lol:

bluefish
05-18-2015, 09:29 PM
getting technical....the one in the front is my kind of 'composition'.....:thumbsup: :lol:

Jon Bradley
05-28-2015, 06:11 AM
The end is near ish... Lol ty for giving me support everyone. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2015/1966978-trio_frm._800.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get any sharper. I had to make it smaller a couple times

bluefish
05-28-2015, 06:52 AM
a 'real' work of art!....Monet would be envious!.....well painted...what do you plan on doing with it?....I'm sure it would 'sell' quickly!....nice job! :thumbsup:

Charlie's Mum
05-28-2015, 08:13 AM
I find it quite 'Rubenesque'!!!:D
Sorry I missed it earlier - good to see the figures emerging:)

Tell me - Fear not, they are wearing pasties! ............. now over here, pasties are pastry-filled lunch food - meast and potato or veg, as in 'Cornish Pasties', a real edible delight!!!!!:lol:

Jon Bradley
05-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Bluefish, my initial plan was to throw it together, but do it "well" (whatever that nmeant) and gift it to my city's burlesque group as a promotional gift thing-my girlfriend and i are friends with the Owner. However, lol..., it went from impressionistic to realisism, and more loose to tight and I finally decided on a good direction for it.

Ugh, the closer I get to the "end" the more I'd like to keep it though! Haha

Very kind and encouraging words from both of you. Thank you, and i'm sure pasties in this sense might be considered an "edible delight" to some even still. :lol:

bluefish
05-29-2015, 06:39 AM
from a pure 'artistic acknowledgement'.....they could be considered an 'edible delight':clap: :clap: :clap:

sorry Maureen, much preferred over 'Cornish Pasties".....:angel: ;) :evil: :lol:

brusher
05-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Bluefish, you are slobbering all over this painting, and it isn't even done yet! Down, boy!

Jon, I have much to say, but sadly must leave for work. Back tonight. The ladies look beautiful, and the response here certainly attests to the burlesque costumes ability to "tease" - as opposed to a classical nude. Burlesque has a great, storied history with several bright lights who have performed their craft and become legends!

And I want to talk to you about grids.

Bluefish, I hope you can stay calm today, long enough until I come back this evening! I'm not so sure :)

Cathy

bluefish
05-29-2015, 11:54 AM
Cathy...hurry home!.....;)

Oy Veh!...Grids!

brusher
05-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Another day, another dollar.

Well the ladies look great, and the troupe is very experienced and knowledgeable, I'm not sure much could be added that they aren't aware of already. But Jon, if your girlfriend hasn't already, I would recommend:

The Burlesque Hall of Fame in Las Vegas;
http://www.burlesquehall.com/

and see the film "Behind the Burly Q", in which Alan Alda is interviewed!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_the_Burly_Q

Bluefish . . . well, let's see how the finished painting looks, shall we? Eh? And then we can get all excited? What do you say, worth waiting for?

As for grids, Jon, the last few years I have been working without them or just a crosshair definition if nothing else. It has freed me up so much and has caused me to think more about composition and how one element relates to each other, more than years of taking classes, reading books, making thumbnails, etc. I had an instructor a few years ago who was unhappy with students who started with a grid. I have found that there is less stiffness (a lot of correcting, but less stiffness!) when composing from a photo without it. Kind of like Chinese painting, with creative and different use of "the space".

Having said all that, your composition is great and these figures look good, some paintings kind of "throw themselves together" and it's wonderful when that happens.

Can't wait to see the finished work, or as you make more progress!

Cathy

Jon Bradley
05-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Great feedback! :D

I never really knew a lot about burlesque until my girlfriend jumped in, but when she did, I really recognized the art, beauty and energy behind it. It's great seeing people (especially women *ahem* lol...) rip loose and express a series of emotions in an act like they do. Super cool stuff. I'm planning on doing some interesting pieces on that very idea soon-more "energy" and color.

Cathy, I agree completely with grids. They sometimes do a good job with complex scenery, but that "lock up" is real. I didn't even put a cross hair on this piece until I noticed the left lady was oddly small. I've had to reconfigure her like 3 times now because of some growing pains in the beginning lol.

With this thing alone, I've learned a ton about sight-sizing larger canvas (more than I bargained for.) Hopefully I can refine my approach for later and not paint everything a million times. :P

Ya'll do wonders for my drive. Thanks so much.

Bertoni
05-30-2015, 07:21 PM
The Burlesqcuties have a unique look!:clap:

Jon Bradley
07-01-2015, 11:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2015/1966978-20150701_183257.jpg
I think I'm ready to call it! Hope it didn't loose too much rez. On upload.

Finally got enough time to finish this off, and really I had no idea really what this sort of thing took, but im glad I did it. :p

chammi kaiser
07-02-2015, 04:19 AM
Wonderful expressions on those faces and the skin tones are great Jon. A masterly work. Love that red bed and headdress.

thetech
07-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Awesome!

bluefish
07-02-2015, 06:27 AM
beautifully painted.....I hope you enter this in a competitive show....a sure winner!.....:thumbsup:

Jon Bradley
07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Thank you so much, everyone!

Chammi, I'm glad you like the bed! Lol I tried to correctly "throw it away" to keep the focus on the highlights, but wanted to keep it in tact so it didn't look off.

Blue, I'll sure try! :p I don't get a lot of time these days, and I did this mainly as an artistic gesture to Nashville's burlesque troupe to promote their work as art too. Maybe I'll squeeze one in before I make it over there.

KarinaRose
07-02-2015, 05:48 PM
This is turning out so nicely! Thanks for showing the process, it's a lot of fun to follow along. The ladies will love it!