PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful Park

mellybean
04-07-2015, 09:03 PM
My latest painting and first shared on this site! Took several days to complete and I ended up completely changing the background at least 3 times (no reference photo used - just my imagination so I couldn't figure out what would look good.) C+C always welcome.

ColinS
04-07-2015, 10:10 PM
I like this. It has an almost surreal sense to it. If I were to offer a comment it would be to match the shadows to the configuration of the trunks of the trees a little more closely. The tree to the left of the path makes a V shape, but that isn't seen in the shadows it casts across the path. I like how you have done the leaves and sky holes.

jonc50
04-08-2015, 01:10 AM
I like this also. Very nice colours and I think the shadows on the sidewalk would show more dappling from the tree foliage on the left side.

~JMW~
04-08-2015, 01:21 AM
My main thought is the path seems to stop abruptly and probably could be softened /grayed a bit in the distance.
I'd like to see the path go up the far hill as a thin line...
Perhaps the smaller far trees are a bit too straight looking.

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2015, 05:53 AM
Yes, a nice serenity to this.
You've handled the tree foliage and bark very well indeed.:)

I agree with Colin about the shadows of the trees and with Joy about the trees at the back ......... giving trees character in twists and gnarling would add interest.
AS we don't know how far away the hills are it would be better to allow the path to go behind a rise of ground rather than uphill ..... and tone it down to stop it attracting the eye too much.:)

It might also be a good idea to add more of the flowers in clump forms leading us into the painting, around the trees perhaps, rather than suddenly making them only dots immediately behind the front rows.:)

mellybean
04-08-2015, 05:59 AM
ColinS - I completely agree about the shadows, I struggled with them for a bit.

jonc50 - Again yes, I had some trouble with the shadows. I'll get on it :)

tj84 - I also thought this about the path but couldn't figure out how to make it look better. I like the idea about sending it up the hill - I'll try it and see what happens!

Thanks all!

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Melly - we x-posted earlier but I made a suggestion in my post above your last one.:)

LavenderFrost
04-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Very nice scene, I would like to take a walk there, if it existed. lol

anotherelizabeth
04-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Very calm scene, I love it! I'm not sure whether the white dots in the grass are flower petals falling from the trees, or small flowers in the grass.

mellybean
04-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Charlie's Mum - I had been attempting to tone down the path towards the back but couldn't get a color that I liked that actually made it look farther away haha. I probably gave up too soon on that front, though, so I'll give it another shot :) Same goes with the flowers, I painted them on the grass and wiped them away several times before just going with dots, and I agree it looks a little odd. Will try again :)

LavenderFrost and anotherelizabeth - Thanks for the comments!

Fox_eNova
04-08-2015, 08:36 PM
I like it also a nice serene scene. If I were to enhance anything it would be some definition to the path. a few dark splotches or some gravel maybe. It's kinda perfect is shape and size, so it could be like a cement walk, which would expansion cuts. Ditto on the flowers a little graduation in size as we go depth. Perfect tree foliage, really done well !!

Pippa
04-09-2015, 07:15 AM
I love the foliage in the trees! The light on the leaves is well done.

If I could offer one suggestion for the background, I would try to make it a little lighter in value and make it more blue in tone. That would add to the sense of distance, as hills decrease in value and get more blue the further away they are. Then if you were to work some of the same blue into your painting elsewhere, you would keep the nice harmony that you have currently. If you are feeling really adventurous you could also add another line of hills either above or below the line you have currently. :)

mellybean
04-10-2015, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone! It is greatly appreciated :) I'll be working a little more on this painting over the weekend.

DizzyD
04-10-2015, 10:45 PM
very good job,, I really like the Bark on the trees and the sky holes in the upper left,, the only things that stick out for me were already mentioned, the first shadow needs a V in it, and the coloring of the path could fade more in the distance, but it sounds like you're already working on those..

Ms.Sakr
04-14-2015, 10:18 AM
I love it! Beautiful work.

jocko500
04-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Tones are created when you add both black and white to a hue. You could also say grey has been added. Depending on the proportions of black, white and the original hue used, tones can be darker or lighter than the original hue, and will also appear less saturated or intense than the original hue. Tones can reveal subtle and complex qualities in a hue or combination of hues, and are more true to the way we see colors in the real world.
This may help you on tones.
The hills in back need to be tone down as other say. You can put the paint out of the tube up close no matter what color but you need to tone them down with grays or whites and blacks. Good to look at the Hudson river school paintings on google and see what the back ground was done.
Do not use so so much theater look to it . Not saying they did but I can not spell the word I need to use:lol: and spell check can not help and google can not help:eek:
I do like the painting :)

jocko500
04-21-2015, 11:19 PM
Tones are created when you add both black and white to a hue. You could also say grey has been added. Depending on the proportions of black, white and the original hue used, tones can be darker or lighter than the original hue, and will also appear less saturated or intense than the original hue. Tones can reveal subtle and complex qualities in a hue or combination of hues, and are more true to the way we see colors in the real world.
The hills in back need to be tone down as other say. You can put the paint out of the tube up close no matter what color but you need to tone them down with grays or whites and blacks. Good to look at the Hudson river school paintings on google and see what the back ground was done.
Do not use so so much theater look to it . Not saying they did but I can not spell the word I need to use:lol: and spell check can not help and google can not help:eek:

jocko500
04-21-2015, 11:35 PM

jocko500
04-21-2015, 11:37 PM
:confused: tried to delete the other two post. do not know why this happened????:confused: