PDA

View Full Version : German Shepherd Dog (x-posted)

TamiP
04-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Really would like suggestions, comments or critiques on this. I really tried to hit a more realistic piece with this than what I normally do.

LavenderFrost
04-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Nicely done. Definitely more realistic than your other works. Just not sure about all the empty space.

TamiP
04-07-2015, 12:00 PM
I agree on the empty space. At first I thought it would be sort of a nice counter balance, then I thought what you did (but too late) that it was too much. I should have done it in portrait instead of landscape canvas... sigh. For a little while I thought of something I might do to fill that space, but decided that would just muddy up the portrait, so just left it. Also, for some strange reason, it looks like 'more' space in the picture than in the actual painting. I think it might be the slight angle I was at taking the picture. Still--too much space either way.

TamiP
04-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Sorry to bug you guys with this, but I just kept staring at all the white highlights on the first version of this, and it was too much, plus I still wasn't getting what I felt was depth in the fur. I hope I have made improvements here, but this is the newer version of 'finished'.

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 01:03 PM
He? She .... looks obedient ... well done , its more realistic than i could portray. I love alsations. When i was 10, i said i wanted to live on a farm with 8 of them !! Its good, but comes across imo to be an older dog, is your dog an older dog?
And the nose looks wet to the touch, which is at should be! I like this.

TamiP
04-07-2015, 01:08 PM
He/She,... poor dog is going to have an identity crisis. haha. Thank you so much Joe. I love GSDs/Alsaitons too. I have had several friends with them. I used to own Dobermans, but always wanted to find a well-bred, healthy GSD (that I could afford). The best ones cost a fortune, but you have to be very careful over here, many (sometimes even the 'well-bred' expensive ones) have serious health issues. It's such a shame, because it's such a noble breed with so many fantastic abilities and a huge heart.

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 01:23 PM
i was brought up with border collies, there like, 'wheres the ball, wheres the stick? what are we doing now, can i round you up??

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 01:26 PM
I'm going to have a german shepherd one day for sure.

TamiP
04-07-2015, 01:42 PM
When I was living on a farm a few years ago, I DID have two border collies (loved them) and yes, if they could have, they would have never stopped playing ball/frisbee -- anything they could catch. They were great herders too. Here's a few pics of my insane duo from back then.

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks i love the pics. I took my mums dog for a walk the other day, he , just all of a sudden turned and riggled under the fence, then started bolting it to a herd of sheep, and started randomly, rounding them up, i nearly got pinned by the RAM. The dog is a rescue dog from ROMANIA. It was sooooo unexpected but quite funny at the same time. We had a dog called 'Josh' who was much alike to the dogs in your photos. He was a tough, cool dog.

TamiP
04-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Dang, typed out a reply and it got eaten.

Thanks for the comments on the pics. Those BCs can be a real handful, but they always seem to be able to make ya laugh. I don't think I ever owned dogs with more of a sense of humor or jovial attitude than those two had. I sure am glad you didn't get hurt by that ram though. They can pack quite a wallop.

By the way--their names were Fly and Jet, and the female 'Fly' literally could. In fact, she could jump a 6' fence from a standstill. We had to build a cover for the dog run because we would stand at the kitchen window and watch her stand by the gate and then take a leap and grab the top bar of the run and get over... then proceed to head toward the sheep pen. LOL

Bob in Florida
04-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi Tami, You've done a good job getting a realistic look. IMO you were correct in toning down the white highlights. And you succeeded in getting more depth.

I love painting fury pets but struggle with the fur. Some on WC, especially over on the animals and wildlife forum are unbelievable in how well they do fur.

Good job.

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 05:17 PM
It looks like the dog is waiting for a command. You could paint a hand on the left witha treat maybe, or thinking leftfied, as i'm an abstract forum dweller another dog facing this dog head on, that would be interesting imo.

idylbrush
04-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Very distinctive style and fresh approach.

TamiP
04-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks Bob and idylbrush, and thanks again Joe. :)