PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Liquitex's Parchment

john Stenger
04-06-2015, 12:48 PM
I use a lot of Liquitex's Parchment color in my paintings, and some of them are very large so I can go thru quite a bit of it! It seems to be a color I should easily be able to mix! ..but it's Tricky! ..after quite a few unsuccessful attempts, I always go back to buying it. Has anyone had any luck closely mixing this color in Acrylic.

Note: The actual paint looks more like the lighter Left side of this sample Image, not the Right side.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2015/27469-436059.jpg

LavenderFrost
04-07-2015, 12:03 PM
If you use it a lot, why not just buy it to save yourself time?

Charlie's Mum
04-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Lol, I have to agree with Michelle - not worth the bother if you use it often!:)

idylbrush
04-07-2015, 05:21 PM
There is nothing wrong about buying it on sale.

BeeCeeEss
04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
This looks a lot like a favorite background color used by (oil painter) Helen Van Wyk. She frequently covered the background of her still life and floral paintings with it. I believe the colors used were lots of titanium white with touches of yellow ochre and ivory black mixed in. I don't know if you would get the same result with acrylics but it's worth a try.

Beverly

Morton
04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
I made this a couple of days ago so just knocked up a batch to check. I mixed a pile of titanium white with a teeny little bit of raw sienna and a very much smaller tidgy little bit of red, acrylics. I was trying to get the warmer white of the oil paint Lead White.

Patrick1
04-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Since this is a low-chroma color, there are many possible ways to mix it. But Morton's suggestion of white + a bit of Raw Sienna is a good start. If needed, a touch of any red, and a tiny amount of black to grey down.

By that swatch, it looks very much like Unbleached/Buff Titanium.

True
05-04-2015, 09:56 AM
This is such an elusive and powerful color. I recall mixing versions of it with its listed pigments (lamp Black, TW, Pthalo Green, but COrange instead of Mars). Close, but no cigar. Now have tubes of it. Given its unusual effect in a painting, I wonder about its history and esp. wonder if anyone has found a version of it in oils?