PDA

View Full Version : How many colors would one need..

flug
04-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Really not sure about the title..
So while there are way to many :angel: threads about how many colors or ones favorite colors over in the watercolor forum, there seems to be a complete absence of that around here. At least that's what my searches have led me to believe.
This is not about brands but rather, since I am thinking I might wish to try out acrylics:
how many colors would I need to be happy? and which ;)
(yes.. I know this is subjective.. but I do wonder about the lack of threads about this)

oramasha
04-05-2015, 10:24 AM
I just wrote down my "regulars" and the ones I like to have on hand in parenthesis or my "like to haves if I need it". That totals 16 paints which make painting enjoyable.

But, my curiosity is endless and I will always try new lightfast pigments for fun and variety.

LavenderFrost
04-05-2015, 10:37 AM
That's strange because the subject has come up quite often. There are always new painters trying to figure this out. We actually just has this discussion not long ago.

WaltWally
04-05-2015, 12:29 PM
My recommendation to someone new to acrylics, especially someone coming from an oil painting background, would be this introductory set from Golden, in their OPEN line:Introductory Set of 6, Modern Colors This set contains .75 oz (22 ml) tubes of 6 modern colors, including one each of Hansa Yellow Opaque, Pyrrole Red, Quinacridone Magenta, Phthalo Blue (Green Shade), Phthalo Green (Blue Shade), and Titanium White.

Benefits: smaller tubes, so minimum investment, a good selection of lightfast colors, and the OPEN series is slower drying than 'regular' acrylics
I would supplement with a tube of red oxide, and a tube of chromium oxide green. Inexpensive, highly opaque and colorfast, very useful for modifying other colors.

This page describes the mediums (I'd start with the gloss medium, 4oz.)

http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-open-acrylic-mediums/

My personal 2 cents.

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2015, 12:30 PM
Try a search of keywords -
colour palette ........ primary primaries split-primaries

What you read in w/colours would probably be similar for acrylics (if it's the colour combination rather than make or name).

A safe start would probably be a warm and cool version of each primary, plus titanium white and one or two earth colours ... umber, sienna, ochre. ... black if you think you'll use it, many don't!:)

oramasha
04-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Really not sure about the title..
So while there are way to many :angel: threads about how many colors or ones favorite colors over in the watercolor forum, there seems to be a complete absence of that around here. At least that's what my searches have led me to believe.
This is not about brands but rather, since I am thinking I might wish to try out acrylics:
how many colors would I need to be happy? and which ;)
(yes.. I know this is subjective.. but I do wonder about the lack of threads about this)

I think I misread your question. I have no idea how many paints will make YOU :) I spoke for myself, but that's not a recommendation to anyone. Many people paint with far less pigments than I do. Charlie Mum's suggestion is a good one and is one that I adopted and utilize. (black included)

TamiP
04-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Basically if you have the primary colors you can create any other color... but it's a real PIA to have to constantly mix the most common ones, so it helps to have them in your drawer/shelf, etc. Need though--just the basics.

LavenderFrost
04-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Okay, I meant to go find the thread I was talking about and I guess I got distracted lol. I think it was this one. There are a lot of questions and answers here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375347

saaz hop
04-06-2015, 03:53 PM
If you have been doing watercolor already and have a favorite palette, I would recommend you start with those pigments and also a white for mixing.

flug
04-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the answers! :clap:
And sorry for the late reply, I had network problems..