PDA

View Full Version : First acrylic WIP

Delacey68
04-05-2015, 04:09 AM
Hi folks. Well I've had a play now at most mediums except Oil, so I thought I'd tackle acrylics. This is a WIP of my friend's Weimeraner on canvas board, 35cm x 46cm. When I first started I broke out into a sweat as I had no idea how the paint would go on etc. I completely covered up my sketch! So then I took a deep breath and went back over it all and slowly started to build it up. It's great to be able to layer it on, and not worry too much if you make a mistake. I'm going to use this as the under painting, my friend suggested I paint details in white and then go over those in the correct colour to build up fur etc. I'm trying to look for examples of how this is done, can anyone help?
Also apologies, the image is quite low res so looks fuzzier round the edges than it is. I'm using 'Reduce' app to shrink the pics for here.

talisman
04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Nice start. You have some good values and shadowing. I'm new to acrylics also so no advice from me but keep posting and I'll watch.

LavenderFrost
04-05-2015, 10:48 AM
Welcome to acrylics! Yes, I have lost my original outline many times lol. I try to make it dark enough to see it through the paint, or more often now I make an outline on a separate piece of paper so I can transfer it back if I need to.

I have mainly just used white under really transparent colours, like red or yellow, so what you mention isn't something I've really done.

You're off to a good start. I would suggest getting the background done before finishing the dog. I think it looks better if you can overlap a bit when doing the background to avoid that painted around look.

artrookie
04-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Very nice start. Looking forward to seeing it to the finish.

Rose4U
04-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Looking good so far. Wish I could help you out but I am also in the process of learning how to do it.

ColinS
04-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the Acrylics forum.

If you haven't already you might try getting help,on the Nimal & Wildlife forum too. They might even have WIPs from other painters. Look for threads by Fruitcke, as I think he does amazing animal portraits and did a WIP at one point.

Found it! It's a classroom - even better. Happy painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1341913

Delacey68
04-06-2015, 04:07 AM
Wow that was a great classroom / tutorial from a great painter. I'm going to get back to this acrylic dog very soon and see what progress I can make. I've spent all my painting life ( which only started in December of last year) learning from YouTube and Wetcanvas! When I was a kid we didn't have these sort of resources, it makes you wonder how good the kids of today will be,tomorrow,with all these wonderful "go-to" reference sites.