PDA

View Full Version : Mount Baker

ColinS
04-04-2015, 02:46 PM
This is a view of Mount Baker which is from my own reference photo taken from a local mountain with a telephoto lens. This dormant volcano in northwest Washington State is often visible from the beach or local mountain tops in Victoria and is a favourite of mine.

Not sure what I think of this one. I like a lot of it. Other bits are bothering me. Tried to take inspiration from seeing one of Cezanne's paintings of Mont Ste-Victoire last month at an exhibition. Perhaps I will become as obsessed with Mt Baker as Cezanne was with Mt Ste-Victoire.

16 x 20 Canvasboard. C&C welcome., especially if there are bits that don't work for you it will be interesting to see if they match the things I am less happy with.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-image.jpg

Edited to substitute slightly better photo.

TamiP
04-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I love how you captured the mountain. One thing that grabs my eye is the 'line' where the sky meets the mountain, The clouds should have extended behind the mountain line breaking the line more. I think the reds in the sky might be blended a bit more as well. There's a great feeling of depth in this.

mellybean
04-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Love how the colors in the mountain came out! My immediate thought when I saw the painting was that the bushes/greenery in the foreground may give a better feel if they are more detailed, as we are assuming they are closer to the viewer. Just my two cents :)

joelaidler101
04-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Like it! I went to Victoria BC and didn't see it though. though someone said you could see Baker from Grouse Mountain, i didn't maybe it was a cloudy day though at the time.

cliff.kachinske
04-04-2015, 05:40 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Beautiful painting, Colin. There's some wonderful work in there.

Here's my nit. It's a little hard for me to ascend across the top of the tree line. There are tantalizing little upward paths through the trees, but the top of the tree line blocks them.

LavenderFrost
04-05-2015, 11:10 AM
I also think you could put a little more detail in the foreground, but I am a plant lover, lol. Other than that, it looks good.

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I like it on the whole Colin - some really good painting ..... and love the rhythmical/lyrical horizontals.
The foreground could be a little more detailed and perhaps less of a straight
line but what I do think it needs is a strong vertical to link all those horizontals - think of Cezanne's 'tree' (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cezanne+mont+sainte-victoire&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UGEhVfS9BY3eaLX_gvAB&ved=0CCwQ7Ak&biw=1368&bih=709#imgdii=_&imgrc=MJqFtbbML_ItEM%253A%3BOmVOL4sNWNGmlM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fcommons%252Fd%252Fd2%252FPaul_C%2525C3%2525A9zanne_107.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FMont_Sainte-Victoire_with_Large_Pine%3B2686%3B1983) that sent rhythmic branches flowing across the sky following the mountain line .... (one of his views!:)) :)

ColinS
04-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Thank you for all your comments and compliments. Much appreciated. I agree with a lot of what you have picked up on. The foreground does need a little more detailing.

Maureen your comment about the need for a vertical is good. I do have a tree on another photo just to the right of this view that could do the trick. I was tempted to put it in, and now I think I will.

Joe Mount Baker isn't always visible. It depends on cloud cover. Today was quite sunny, but lo wish clouds against the Cascade mountains largely obscured Baker. Occasionally on the clearest days we can even see Mt Rainier the old volcanic cone that is the backdrop for Seattle.

Thanks again everyone.

cem
04-05-2015, 10:28 PM
You have a nice painting there. I really like the sky. I agree about the foreground needing more detail. I also think, maybe, a little of the sky colors could be reflected in the water as it looks a little flat to me. Overall, a pleasant scene indeed.

Margaret 59
04-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Colin, I like your mountain very much but think that there's too much in the foreground. If you scroll down to just below the pine trees, the mountain is the centre of attention with no barrier.

drc8
04-06-2015, 07:31 AM
Very nice

chammi kaiser
04-06-2015, 07:54 AM
I love the colours Colin - really brave palette here. You have had some good tips. It is a super painting.

ColinS
04-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Thank you Cindy, Margaret, Denver and Chammi.

I like to be brave with my palette, as it's only paint!

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 04:42 AM
I think it would look good on a sitting room wall.

joelaidler101
04-07-2015, 06:34 AM
You must have a good view ha ha! I live below sea level in cambridgeshire. I want to walk the appalachian trail, while its still wild out there. I might do a section of it in the next few yrs.