PDA

View Full Version : Travelling back in time .. to April 07

Ms.Sakr
04-04-2015, 03:34 AM
Hello all.. I was recently looking into the layered painting process and the different ways artists approach it. I came across Maverick's thread in the Info Kiosk:
APRIL 2007 CLASSROOM: Flemish Technique in Acrylics (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414645) and I thought why not give it a go; the steps are much clearer than any other I found.

I took a simple subject for practice:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1113642-_MG_8730e22min_Viache_wc.jpg

In this first step, I did the drawing, the imprimatura:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1113642-IMG_20150403_203130.jpg
(sorry for the angle :smug: )

Here I layed in the shadows and some of the opaque highlights:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1113642-IMG_20150403_203311.jpg

I'm currently doing the dead layer:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1113642-IMG_20150403_203548.jpg

Should start glazing soon. Your comments an critiques are appreciated; I hope I got the process correctly. Thanks for looking.. ;)

msoshu
04-04-2015, 05:01 AM
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the next post :)

Ms.Sakr
04-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Thank you Msoshu!

ColinS
04-04-2015, 10:55 AM
It looks very good so far Sara. I am really looking forward to seeing this.

LavenderFrost
04-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Looking good.

maryinasia
04-04-2015, 11:54 AM
looking good. thanks for the link.

Charlie's Mum
04-04-2015, 12:44 PM
It's looking good Sara :thumbsup:
Maybe emphasise the highlights a little more at this stage - they'll dull when colour is added.

I'm sorry Mark didn't get to finish this class as his paintings are excellent - as I understand from him, the idea is to refine more at each successive stage so that by the time the colour glaze is due, the painting is absolutely 'finished' at the dead layer.
Which red are you using for the colour do you think? :)

Ms.Sakr
04-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Colin, Michelle, Mary
Thank you all for your responses.

Maureen, thanks a lot. I needed to hear this; I'm not the patient kind and I was going to start glazing :D. It does need more refinement.
I'm not sure about the reds yet. I think I'm just going to use naphthole red. For the brighter side, I'm going to go with yellow first and for the dark side I'll glaze blue first.
I'm not sure how this will look like, so I'll try it on a separate sheet of paper before doing anything on the painting.

Rose4U
04-05-2015, 05:57 PM
I did a portrait of my daughter using glazing and I did not know what I was doing but what I learned from the process is that you want the dead layer to be to the point that it would be a finished piece as is. Because correcting things with the color glazes does not work well at least not for me.

Looking Great so far. looking forward to seeing you progress.

Ms.Sakr
04-14-2015, 03:56 AM
It's been a looong time. Sorry for neglecting this thread, but the painting had undergone a complete disaster :D. I was spraying water to keep the paint wet while working on the dead layer, and I wanted to wipe of a bit of paint. I was wiping that bit when all of a sudden the paint chipped off completely, revealing the imprimatura layer :eek:. It seemed that the water had softened the layers below and they fell off when I wiped the surface :o . Anyways, the surface became uneven and I sanded the pepper back to the first layers and worked it from the beginning.

I'm happy to announce the painting cured and completed :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2015/1113642-wc.jpg

I had a photo in the middle of the glazing process but I can't seem to find it. It took about ten layers to reach this colour, but I had to lighten some areas with white before glazing over with reds again.

Thanks for looking! Your comments and critiques are welcome.

Morton
04-14-2015, 06:24 AM
Ah you have done well there. Especially after having that disaster. Lost and found edges are lovely. Ten glazing layers.. okay. I must have a go at this I have glazed a little but must have a serious go at this so thank you for the link.

Can I ask if you would use gloss medium or would you varnish it to get an oil painting like finish?

Ms.Sakr
04-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Morton, thank you for your comment. Would love to see your attempt.

I used Folk Arts' glazing medium. It's got a satin finish, not really glossy. I think any medium would work well in achieving the 'rich oil effect' I think you're talking about. Because I think it's the depth of the layers that gives this effect.

LavenderFrost
04-14-2015, 11:32 AM
Nice finish, glad you were able to fix it. I have tried this method a few times but got impatient with it, lol.

Morton
04-14-2015, 11:43 AM
My pleasure, Sara.
I enjoyed seeing the steps.

I've had a painting lay off so I'm just trying to get back what little technique I had. I'll post up when I have something though.

Mm, that oil lustre is the desired finish. Thanks for your advice. I agree it is the optical blending and light bouncing around from the layers that must be responsible for the effect.

I've already got some W&N Slow drying medium, flow improver and gloss medium to play about with a bit more.

msoshu
04-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Very nice, I like the glow and texture of the pepper.
For my current painting, I am trying out glazing for the first time. Just finished the dead layer. Ten layers or more ..hmm..

Charlie's Mum
04-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Really well done Sara - you've achieved a lovely finish.:)

The good things about this quite tedious method (!) is that the many layers produce all the aspects needed before adding the colour and then the layers of colours, being transparent each time, add a richness and translucency not often achieved with an alla prima approach.
You can probably gain just as close a finish by doing an underpainting in the greys without first doing the other stages - but isn't it good to know you can do something well and know how the masters did it too?:lol:

ColinS
04-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Wow this is gorgeous. I love the finish you have achieved.

Margaret 59
04-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Nice one, worth the effort!

Ms.Sakr
04-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Michelle, thank you for your comment. I saw your painting in the original thread; really beautiful. I know what you mean about getting impatient with the process. It takes a very long time, and this was a very small painting, too. I'll try my hand at a bigger one, probably along with something else, so I wouldn't be held up.

Morton, I think gloss medium would work well, will possibly give it even more shine.

msoshu yes, ten glazes but the colour isn't very saturated in any of the layers. I thought light colour with many layers would be better than a lot of colour in a few layers. But honestly I don't know if it makes a difference :D

Maureen, thank you very much. The process makes it much easier to get the values right. I agree with you, I think the umber layer could be safely skipped and still the process would provide great results.

Colin, Margaret, thank you for your comments :heart:

Dcam
04-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Nice finish. Glazing is a terrific technique.
Derek

Morton
04-16-2015, 03:48 AM
I suppose that the Burnt Umber first wash had a purpose at the time with a sized canvas. If not then it'd be a bit reassuring to think that the Old Masters found blank canvases offputting and found it easier to get started by covering up the white!

Ms.Sakr
04-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Derek: Thank you. I agree, glazing is amazing. I like how you can go bit by bit, no surprises, everything under control :D

Morton: I like a blank canvas.. don't you? :evil: