PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a fix - Sitka Puddle Jumper

TamiP
04-04-2015, 12:11 AM
I have always loved planes, so decided to try to paint one. I am pretty happy with this 'in general' although any suggestions overall would be greatly appreciated. The pontoons are screwed up, but I can't decide which one I should try to fix. Actually, the far side one (sharper angle) looks the most like the picture (from paint my photo) but I think that would be the one that might be easier to lengthen a bit and take off some of the sharp angle. Any suggestions?

Oh, and the volcano scene is from a different photo in PMP.

Shamrock15
04-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Tami - drop by the aviation art section if you want. There are a lot of good artists who hang out there. You have picked a good angle for the aircraft that allows for a lot of landscape work and reflections. Make sure you are using a straight edge when needed (wings) and try to add some depth to your colours as they are a little flat at the moment. While the volcano provides a colour change to highlight the aircraft, it doesn't really add to the composition.

As mentioned, come check us out in the aviation section and see what others here are doing. I am in awe of some of the work done here, and it will be a fantastic learning experience for you. For me the link in the menu doesn't always work, so just do a search and it comes up.

ColinS
04-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi Tami - I can't give much advice on the plane - the pontoon on the left looks like what I would expect to see from watching the planes in our Inner Harbour harbour take off. But that could be more of an impression than reality.

I love your water. Nice ripples and reflections?

LavenderFrost
04-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Nice work. Not sure what to suggest about the pontoons. I guess it should be more like the photo, but considering that this isn't a highly realistic painting you could get away with just leaving it. Either way it's a good learning experience.

~JMW~
04-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Not sure if you havenít' gotten to the final details & shadows yet for the plane?
the background-
tree colors seems a bit too bright of a green. Maybe blue/gray them a bit.
the ground /shore & tree line meet seems not quite finished?

TamiP
04-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys, all great suggestions for fixing this up. As for the aviation forum, I have 'stalked' it. The beauty of the work in there is amazing. I thought about the straight edge for the lines, but (and I swear it's true) I looked everywhere for my ruler last night and couldn't find it ANYWHERE.

LavenderFrost
04-05-2015, 11:12 AM
lol Tami. I try to keep a ruler in every room.

Rose4U
04-05-2015, 03:15 PM
to me it looks like the pontoon to my right when looking at it is set back to far. But then I am no expert .

TamiP
04-05-2015, 04:49 PM
LOL Lavender, haha, as soon as hubby got home I 'attacked' him to find out if he nabbed my ruler... I have it back now. hahahha, Sticky fingers Bob, it's all his fault. I'm going to have to take a cue from you and buy a bunch to have everywhere so if one goes missing I can find another.

Rose, yeah, it was hard to place, the plane is tilted just a little, and that's actually how it is, but the fact that the pontoon on the right is 'out of shape' exaggerates the look I think.

Rose4U
04-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Tami I am a member on PMP do you know how I could find the photo you are using? I know that sometimes if you are true to a photo in a painting it my come out looking wrong I guess that is where our artistic license is supposed to take over :)

TamiP
04-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Hi Rose, I just typed 'plane' into the search box to find it, but here is the direct link.

http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/photo/seaplane-taking-off

TamiP
04-05-2015, 06:03 PM
and yeah, I did end up changing it a little already, simply because no matter what I did, if I put it exactly where it was in the photo it looked 'really' wrong in the painting. At least to me. LOL
I think artistic license would also come into play where I should have used more shadow that actually shows up on the photo to give it more of a shape.

TamiP
04-05-2015, 06:04 PM
Looking at it again (not the photo, my painting) I see what you mean, even the strutts holding the pontoon are - are further back looking than they should be even with the slant.

Rose4U
04-05-2015, 06:52 PM
good I am glad you saw that. Always look at angles when you are drawing you can take a piece of paper as a straight edge and look at the angle that the plains wings are at and then the supports that are between the pontoons and the pontoons themselves.