PDA

View Full Version : Question about drying time of D&R System 3 Original

msoshu
04-03-2015, 04:06 AM
Hello,

I use a local brand artist grade acrylic paint. Today I tried to test it's drying time in comparison with Daler & Rowney system 3 original. I used Raw Sienna (only D&R tube I have). I painted a few strips of each brand, straight from the tube, on a glass piece and timed how much time it took to dry. My local brand paint dried in one and a half minutes. (No wonder it is so difficult to blend.) The D&R paint took more than four minutes to dry.

Is this a somewhat typical drying time for D&R system3 original? Asking because I read that earth colours dry fast and also vary from brand to brand.

Can I expect the same or longer drying times for other colours in the D&R system 3 original series? I am thinking of replacing my colours as and when they run out with system 3 original.

idylbrush
04-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Every color will have its drying time, not only from color to color, but, tube to tube. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules. Drying can be dependent on the surface, humidity, application ,technique. Time, practice and more time and practice is the best learning tool.

msoshu
04-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks for your reply, idylbrush. The colours I use are very economical, I wanted to understand acrylics and establish some working methods and some feel for how much paint I need to mix etc, to reduce wastage (absolute beginner). I was wondering whether D&R would make any significant difference in terms of drying time, hence the question. From your answer, I think buying three primaries and white and maybe an umber of D&R and trying it out is the way to go. ( I may have mispronounced your name in an earlier post, if so my apologies. )