PDA

View Full Version : DVD lesson results

Aligator
04-02-2015, 01:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2015/985441-102_2461.JPG

Bought a few DVD lesson. This is my version of what I learned. I think I will do this lesson a few more time, I did learn from it. Sorry camera date is wrong.

LavenderFrost
04-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Nice work. Looks like there was a lot to learn in there.

Aligator
04-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Thank you for looking, having a good time learning.

LynneDe
04-04-2015, 09:21 PM

And that's the joy of it, isn't it? I love learning something new, putting it into practice and then practicing it again until I have 'made it my own'.

Looks like you are enjoying doing that too. Awesome!

Andrew
04-05-2015, 07:57 AM

Which DVDs did you decided to get?

Andrew

Aligator
04-05-2015, 02:19 PM
I bought two of Jerry Yarnell's. I waned the actual DVD to play on my old TV in my "studio"( garage). For the folks who have not read any of my post, I am a 79 year old(almost Aug.)No formal art training, just having a great time in retirement. An thanks to the fine folks on this site I have received a lot of help and encouragement.
Joe

Andrew
04-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I am quite familiar with Jerry's methodology. He was my first exposure to acrylics as formal art medium (whereas William Alexander hooked me on oils and "happy little clouds").

This is a good start, far better than my first attempt at Jerry's work (pre-vcr/dvd days when I had to work with off public television (and you are screwed if they get one out of sequence or miss and episode). I would recommend thinning your paint a little more. He seems to use his about the consistency of heavy cream (pre-whipped).

Andrew

chammi kaiser
04-06-2015, 08:12 AM
What fun it is learning and watching other artists at work. You have certainly done very well. I am sure you must be looking forward to your next attempt. Enjoy the process.

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Well done Joe, glad you found some lessons of use to you and mostly, that you enjoyed and learnt from them.
This is a very nice painting but I do have a suggestion for your nexr one!:)

I've put the work into greyscale and notice how most of the painting is in the mid range of greys? - mid-tones throughout?
With your next one, try making the lights lighter and the darks darker so you get more contrast.
If you want drama in apiece - or just a dramatic 'spark' put your lightest light next to your darkest dark and watch it go 'Pow'!!!:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2015/30494-alligator.JPG

Aligator
04-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Thank you all and thank you Maureen for your suggestion, it comes just in time. I am getting ready do to something with trees and water and will certainly pay attention to your suggestions.
Joe

JimR-OCDS
04-06-2015, 06:16 PM
You're doing well Joe, keep up the work!

I follow Jerry Yarnell's techniques and have had some good success.

The main thing to remember are the tone values. Tones begin lighter in the background and get stronger as objects become closer to you.

I messed up a couple paintings in that my tone values were all the same. It causes the painting to look flat.

Jim

JoL56
04-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Beautiful painting!

Joachim