PDA

View Full Version : Joan's IFJ 2015 - Floral Fantasy

Joan T
04-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Once again this year I am participating in the International Fake Journal Month (IFJM) that takes place every April. If you are curious about exactly what IFJM is, you can follow this link to Roz Stendahl's blog. She is the founder of this concept.
http://officialinternationalfakejournalblog.blogspot.com/p/what-is-ifjm.html

For my fake journal subject this year I am trying to keep my entries easier than I have done in the past, because previously my fake journals required too much research. I am pretending to be a woman who is temporarily helping her friend with her flower shop/nursery called "Floral Fantasy." This way I can get a lot of practice sketching flowers. :D Here is my entry for April 1.

DrDebby
04-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Fun subject for your fake journal. :) Lovely lily.

Glynda B.
04-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Can't wait to see all the flowers you use in your journal. I doubt really much of it will be fake in the long run. The shop and the friend may be, but surely with all the paintings you've done, you've painted most flowers before. This will be wonderful. I loved the lily.

Gribbey
04-03-2015, 11:18 AM
I like your fantasy. I think this idea of a fake journal is just great.

Joan T
04-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks Debby, Glynda, and Libbey.

Here is my post for April 2.

Joan T
04-03-2015, 11:18 PM
And my post for April 3.

DrDebby
04-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Wonderful flowers.

zebby
04-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I love Fake Journal month - and Roz' work! Love your flower also. I was thinking Fake Journal was May - but I'll go back and starting following along.

LynneDe
04-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Neat idea, I'll have to keep this in mind for next year...but will follow your work throughout this one. Thank you and blessings!

Glynda B.
04-05-2015, 09:32 AM
Oh, these are so pretty. Makes springtime come alive to see your work.

Joan T
04-05-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks Debby, Zebby, Lynne, and Glynda. These are fun to do, but sometimes it is hectic to keep up.

Joan T
04-05-2015, 09:45 PM
My post for April 5.

LynneDe
04-05-2015, 10:52 PM
I'm loving this! I wish I had a thumbnail's worth of your talent, Joan. I am enjoying it immensely. Thank you so much for sharing it...I may have to attempt a fake journal for another month besides April...it is a marvelous idea. :)

DrDebby
04-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Beautiful drawings and journaling.

Joan T
04-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks Lynne and Debby. There are a lot more people doing fake journals, or at least posting them, because there is a closed group for it on Facebook that Roz Stendahl organized. It is fun to see the creative journals people have come up with.

My entry for April 6.

DrDebby
04-07-2015, 03:19 PM
The vibrant colors on the pottery are great.

KreativeK
04-07-2015, 03:46 PM
This is delightful, Joan! I've been a student of Roz' and follow her blog...she is a genius.

Glynda B.
04-08-2015, 06:09 AM
Joan, the whimsey of the peeps and the thoughtful cross were just perfect for Easter. I love sunflowers and the Mexican vases are perfect for them. I think you've chosen the perfect setting for your journal. A flower shop moves through the days exactly right.

Joan T
04-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks, Debby!

Kay, Roz is always such fun! Her journals are amazing. Thank you.

Glynda, thanks. The flower shop is turning out to be a lot of fun...and luckily not as much work as the last few I did for Fake Journal Month. If you want to see those I'll post the links to them.

I thought I only had a few more to catch up but there are quite a few. lol

Joan T
04-13-2015, 10:52 PM
More recent pages.

Gribbey
04-14-2015, 07:25 AM
These are really delightful, Joan. Do you know your flowers! So well represented...
And I love the layouts.
And I wish I was one of your friends sketching in the shop ;)

DrDebby
04-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Just gorgeous. Love the flowers and gardening theme.

Glynda B.
04-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Joan, your paintings of the goings on at the flower shop are so interesting. I loved the pansies and the anthuriums. Please do post the links to your earlier fake journals.

vhere
04-15-2015, 03:58 AM
Fun :)

Joan T
04-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks Gribbey, Debby, Glynda, and Vivien. I'm having fun imagining scenes inside my fake workplace.

Glynda, here are the links to the 3 former fake journals I did. Like most blogs they have the most recent post at the end, so to start of the story you have to go all the way back on each blog. If you have time I'd love to hear what you think of them. Those were a lot more involved than this one.

chevyroadtripapril2013.blogspot.com

themagicfeatherbyjoant.blogspot.com

angelinaslifeinvenice.blogspot.com

April 13

Joan T
04-17-2015, 08:01 PM
For the friends that appear on the previous page and this one I used photo references that I either had for the person (like my sister Mickey & my friend Gina) or used an image from their blog or Facebook page( Roz who started the Fake Journal Month, and Kate who is also participating in IFJM).

April 14

Joan T
04-17-2015, 08:02 PM
April 15

Joan T
04-17-2015, 08:03 PM
April 16

Glynda B.
04-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Joan, your road trip journal in the Chevy was really good. It would be hard to spot it as a fake; it almost makes you feel like you'd been along for all your adventures. Pennsylvania's Amish country was spot on. Shoo Fly pie and the carriages and quilts are some of my best memories of it. I loved the cherry blossoms in Washington, D. C. The ponies, bald eagle and lighthouse on Assateague were wonderful. I was hoping you'd get a stop at Monticello, Jefferson's home, but you did make it to Richmond. I liked the cannon in Richmond, I had to laugh when you stopped at South of the Border, biggest tourist trap on the East Coast. After all that advertising, you feel compelled to stop, and it never quite fulfills your expectations. You nailed it by sketching those ads! I loved the Charleston Battery sketch--I'm always taken by the colorful homes in Charleston, and the sweetgrass baskets that are sold in the markets there. Your sketches of Savannah were fun. That sidewalk scene was special. You do a lovely job of painting buildings, etc., in your scenes. If I'd known you were in the area, I'd have met you in Augusta and shown you some of the lovely old homes there. Tall columns, Spanish moss, and ghosts of long ago are plentiful. My husband used to kayak on the canal. I'm glad you got to Memphis and saw Sun Studio and some of the Elvis exhibits. Oh, I'm forgetting that wonderful beach scene at Virginia Beach and the alligator you sketched in SC. That journal is a winner. Just loved it. I'll get to the other two sometime this weekend. Thanks for posting the links.

DrDebby
04-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Great pages. The orchids are beautiful.

Glynda B.
04-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Joan, I viewed the two other fake journals--the magic feather and Angelina's life in Venice. I really liked them, especially the magic feather. Your sketches are quick, just a few lines in most cases with a dash of color, but great images that reflect the scene you are sketching. Wow, I'd love to be able to do that. Your confidence in your lines and your knack for showing a really good angle for the subjects are especially good. The Jerusalem and Key West scenes were wonderful. I particularly liked the sunset in the Key West sketch. The bridges, the laundry and the gondolas in the Venice journal were my favorites. Thanks so much for sharing your links to those.

Joan T
04-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks, Glynda. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the other journals and all your comments about them. They are a lot of fun to do but the Magic Feather and the Chevy Road trip meant I had to do a lot of research and find images of each location to work from. Some of the places I had visited at one time, but many of them I didn't. The one about Venice was done from photos I took in Venice or by resketching parts of paintings or sketches I had done there when I visited. That's why this one is a lot easier...I don't have to research all the information.

Debby, thanks so much for keeping up with me.

Somehow I double posted April 14 and didn't post April 13...so here it is out of order. Roz that I sketched is the founder of "Fake Journal Month" and Mickey is really my sister.

Joan T
04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Now I'll do the next one in order.

Joan T
04-20-2015, 05:55 PM
April 18

Joan T
04-20-2015, 05:56 PM
April 19

Joan T
04-20-2015, 05:56 PM
April 20

DrDebby
04-21-2015, 02:12 PM
I am delighted with this fake journal. So much brightness and color. I love spring.

Glynda B.
04-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Joan, I thought I'd read somewhere that you'd visited Venice, and I'd wondered if some of those sketches were done from photos taken during that trip. I think you did a great job researching the things you put in your fake journals. It reads real.

I really liked the butterfly sketch and the flower arranging sketch in these new ones. You make me wish we had such a flower shop here. Imagine one that supported artists sketching. What fun.

Joan T
04-22-2015, 09:52 PM
Debby and Glynda, thanks so much.

Glynda, my plein air group has actually gone inside a garden center several times to sketch. They were very welcoming and it was fun to have a variety of flowers and objects to sketch.

Joan T
04-22-2015, 09:53 PM
April 22

vhere
04-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Fun :)

robertsloan2
04-23-2015, 01:27 PM
Wow! You've done it again! I loved the others, especially the Magic Feather of course, but this one is so bright, sweet and colorful! You've created an utterly delightful story with so much interesting information... thank you for the azalea especially.

There's an azalea bush down at the clinic I go to that's planted at the Patient Pick-Up and Drop-Off area patch. I was fairly sure it was an azalea with a double blossom and have called my paintings of it that - but yours just confirmed it. The leaves are the same!

Many of these grow in the garden I visit year round every two weeks, so it was a special delight to see them painted so well. You've got most of my favorites, any irises to come?

Also, please do me a big favor. It's too late for me to start this year and I have other projects in progress. But next March, please, please message me and remind me about IFJM! I wanted to do one every time I've seen one of yours but always wind up finding out about it way too late.

Of course being a science fiction/fantasy writer I'd probably get a bit weirder with the story, a month of nocturnes from a vampire or alien city a la James Gurney, or maybe just a month in the life of a magical cat who borrows his human familiar's hands and watercolors to journal!

DrDebby
04-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Absolutely delightful pages, especially the nursery school one. :)

Glynda B.
04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Joan, the azaleas and the bus trip were just wonderful. I love the colors and the feelings of the people in your sketches that you manage to show. I need to find one of those garden centers. Lovely work!

zebby
04-28-2015, 12:26 AM
stopped by to see some more in your journal - love all the flower sketches Joan - they're so pretty.

JennyMK
04-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Delightful is the word that pop in mind when going through your thread! What a nice fantasy journal to keep in spring!!

Joan T
05-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks, Vivien, Robert, Debby, Glynda, Zebby and Jenny. I've been having a hard time getting back here...too much sketching going on. lol

Joan T
05-06-2015, 09:34 PM
April 24

Joan T
05-06-2015, 09:35 PM
April 25

Joan T
05-06-2015, 09:37 PM
April 26

DrDebby
05-07-2015, 02:38 PM
This is such a neat journal. Did you have fun?

Joan T
05-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Debby - Thanks. It was a lot of fun but a lot of work!

Joan T
05-07-2015, 10:09 PM
April 28

Joan T
05-07-2015, 10:10 PM
April 29

Joan T
05-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Here is the final page of my fake jounal.

Glynda B.
05-08-2015, 12:56 PM
What a wonderful journal you painted, Joan. It was like reading a real journal. I really, really liked the lavender page. My favorite scent. However, there were so many lovely flowers in this journal. You did a great job of it.

DrDebby
05-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Like your ending. Great journal all around.

Gribbey
05-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Super journal, Joan. I loved the propositional depth- my enjoying vicariously you enjoying vicariously the daily life of a florist. Now back to reality! Where's my trowel? p.s. the little details like the repetition of the windows in the jet to Holland in the dots of the border- brilliant!

KiwiKate
05-08-2015, 03:06 PM
I do love your imaginary journal Joan -- so creative in so many ways. My favorite so far is the iris -- I left some wonderful ones behind when I moved cross-country to the desert. This is a sweet reminder that they'll soon be blooming in Wisconsin.

Joan T
05-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Thanks, Debby. And thanks for sticking with me the whole month.

Gribbey - Thanks so much for all your comments..

Kate - Thanks! They should be blooming here soon. With the winter we had everything here is blooming late.

tamiea
05-19-2015, 06:49 AM
Joan T lovely sketches :) I like all of them they are co colorful and fun :)

Joan T
05-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Sylwia, thank you so much!!!