PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Challenge April 2015

AllanWaiShingMak
04-01-2015, 12:13 PM
what ? it is April . Yes itís April .the weather get so warm over here already, l hope your country will soon be warmer then before when the sun moves closer to north atmosphere ÖÖ..

This month's Oil Pastel 'Challenge' is for ALL abilities and you can experiment with new techniques if you like; just sketch or leap out of your comfort zone and try an unfamiliar subject. It's entirely up to you how you proceed, as long as 75% of your painting is completed with oil pastels.

You're free to post as you go, even if a 'WIP' to show us your process, which we love to see, or if you get stuck and need help and advice. We are all friendly and happy to help. No body will bite so donít worry that your work is not good to show.

When you post your finished piece, it's really useful if you state:
- the type of support you used including any surface prep,
-the finished size of your painting or sketch,
-the brand of Oil Pastels used
-whether you used anything under the OP as an under-painting or wash.

Other mediums may be used to compliment, but the work must be primarily Oil Pastels.

It's true that this message repeatly appeared so many time but this' the games rules.

:thumbsup: :angel: So here we go.......

AllanWaiShingMak
04-01-2015, 12:26 PM
there're more photos on Japan theme :wink2:

AllanWaiShingMak
04-01-2015, 09:42 PM
l missed a photo

tuscanny
04-02-2015, 12:30 AM
Beautiful photos to choose from! Thanks for hosting, Allan!

Pat Isaac
04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Great pictures...thanks for hosting..

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
04-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks Pat, thank for moving the challenge thread up, I did check I had not put 2014. These photos some came from my sister, and the Japan photos are mine. Osaka was where I took these photos. I prefer to try flowers firstly , & I hope everyone now pick your choice and enjoy this month new challenges!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Thanks Tuscanny & Pat, thank for moving the challenge thread up, I did check I had not put 2014. These photos some came from my sister, and the Japan photos are mine. Osaka was where I took these photos. I prefer to try flowers firstly , & I hope everyone now pick your choice and enjoy this month new challenges!

tuscanny
04-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Here is my cropped version of the bridge repainted in red, 7x10 on gouache paper with Pentel ops.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2015/1256189-april_ops_7x10_gouache_papers.jpg

robertsloan2
04-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Wow! Thank you for hosting and bringing such fantastic photos! I knew I wanted to come back to OP this month so I checked the challenge and there are so many inspiring scenes! I love the flowers, like you I think of those as an easy start, but I may also try one of the landscapes or more. Health permitting of course.

Christel, beautiful painting of the landscape that took my breath away. That one is my favorite, I think. You did it so bright and rich! Gorgeous aerial perspective. Nice detail in the bridge too. Great foliage. Lovely composition. Well done!

tuscanny
04-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks Robert! I'm looking forward to seeing your version.

AllanWaiShingMak
04-07-2015, 02:53 AM
Sorry my late response . As a host of April , l would like to make OPStudio better. Thanks ! Robert and Truscanny your sharing and thoughts .

That likes the Japanese jurassic park entrance . the suspension bridge is 14 ft above the stream . 5ft wide to walk over.

l like your fresh green colour and the red & orange of the changing colour leaves . made absolutely the best representation of the scene. your crop and perspective of the view was excellent and revealed your great observation. gorgeous painting ! keep on

l'm trying the paris blue mormon butterfly , l'll pose it soon .

Allan

AllanWaiShingMak
04-07-2015, 03:35 AM
this' better view from the bridge:eek:
Lightly modified of the photo .

tuscanny
04-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks Allan! Wow, nice view of the bridge!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Not 14ft. Actually 5 floors above ground . I was nervous and trembling all along .

Midian
04-07-2015, 04:19 PM
My debut with OP. Sennelier OP on A5 notepad for pastels.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2015/1969713-gib.gif

AllanWaiShingMak
04-07-2015, 10:02 PM
This' a nice painting , Nice and organized composition that helped to make this painting simple and interesting. Midian you did a great job on colouring and rendering. The beautiful cool green contrasts the pale orange hibiscus just vividly brilliant. I like that you used dark blue to compromise deep green & shadows, nice try Midian !

tuscanny
04-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the forum , Midian! A lovely debut too!I'm looking forward to seeing more of your artwork!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-09-2015, 06:42 AM
here is my finish work the paris mormon butterfly quite interesting .

if you look closer, you could see l have some crumbs of oil pastel pigment which had pressed hard on the support paper by a flat palette knife; for instance the blue pattern on the butterfly and the flower petals. This technique by B. Creevy. Add rich textures to any work. l also put orange and dark green underpainting before l start. you would see some green under paint shows through on the left.

:clap: :wave: :cat:
5.5 x 8 inch A5 paper Caran D'Arche oil pastel

tuscanny
04-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Beautiful work Allan! Lovely blending of the blue and green in the butterfly wings.

AllanWaiShingMak
04-09-2015, 11:54 AM
This' nothing ! Tuscanny Just intend to bring out some skills learned from master. Like underpaint help to speed up progress . Pressing pigment onto the paper to create uneven surface or texture. Thought these are great to share ! It is better to know some tips and new tools . Keep on have fun !

mariemarie
04-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Good day Allan,

I just could not pass away without telling you how much I like your interpretation of the butterfly. It is so painterly; exactly the rendition that I favor!

I also have some Caran d'Ache but I just keep making mud with them (which is not the case with my Holbein). Do you work in layers and let the painting set between them? Also, do you use sanded paper? Which medium do you use for your underpainting? Any other ways you prepare your surface?

Any tips to share so I make peace with my Caran d'Ache? For example, it seems that you don't blend much; is that correct?

Thanks for sharing,

Marie

Pat Isaac
04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
nicely done and it does have a nice painterly feel.

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
04-11-2015, 09:43 AM
here is my explanation .read the diagrams !
l hope l answer your questions Mariemarie
l use thick paper like Stonehenge or Mayfaire. sometimes l use canvas too. use something that will last long . and will not deteriorate easily . l remember my instructor in art college said if l continuous using cheap paper , l 'll get failure simply.

Pentel is hard oil pastel . Caran is medium kind and Sennelier is lipstick kind. if you lay soft on hard , it will be a pleasing result but the other way around is undesirable , the hard is either mixing the below pigment or scraping the bottom color off . so consider what colour goes firstly. Block-in with hard and then medium to soft after.

AllanWaiShingMak
04-11-2015, 10:00 AM
l use soft pastel for underpainting . You could use watercolour too . Then l use alcohol to dilute the soft pastel .
once you add alcohol to it , the pigment becomes watery like water-colour. Alcohol drys fast but still take time the paper to be completely dry.

the underpainting colours depend on what you going to put later. some people
advice using the method of colour wheel . You could use complementary colour set such as blue to orange, green to red , yellow to purple ,or Analogous colour set such as blue to purple or red to orange. and finally monochromatic
color set which you only pick one colour and then dilute it with alcohol .
however this is not a rule , the underpainting colour is up to you, it either covers or enhances the final painting

Thanks Pats and Mariemarie .!

mariemarie
04-11-2015, 11:52 AM
Good day Allan,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I did not know that alcohol could be used to thin OPs. I certainly will try it. I use oil painting mediums which work great as well.

Keep on painting. Your work is an inspiration!

Marie

AllanWaiShingMak
04-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Mariemarie, I don't want to get you wrong , you don't dilute oil pastel to make underpainting . In my description I said l diluted soft pastel to make underpainting .

mariemarie
04-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Mariemarie, I don't want to get you wrong , you don't dilute oil pastel to make underpainting . In my description I said l diluted soft pastel to make underpainting .
Oupss! Thanks Allan! My bad :D Of course, it is SOFT pastels that are diluted with alcohol. That I knew...

Sorry for the confusion,

Marie

AllanWaiShingMak
04-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I tried that already that oil pastel does not melt very well. The chemistry doesn't success ! Someone said turpentine will do and you may attempt this way. Open windows firstly !

mariemarie
04-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Yes Allan,

I use OMS to blend OPs. It works wonderfully!

Marie

robertsloan2
04-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Allan, thank you for that tutorial and the butterfly painting is so beautiful! Love the freshness of it and the crop you did. The darks are very rich and the colors just shine!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-16-2015, 04:47 AM
Hello, just remind you half a month gone ,the challenge is still on ,there're some easy and some difficult photos, but in my opinion,they're nothing to be afraid of . Keep on !
I'm trying the Japanese shopping mall , it looks like a thrill. I saw a lot of people painting city late night life , I'm impressed ........
Here is the beginning view.
Allan

tuscanny
04-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Interesting start, Allan. What medium is your underpainting?

Pat Isaac
04-17-2015, 12:54 PM
It is an interesting start and looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

Pat

poulpi
04-17-2015, 05:29 PM
I tried a crop of the temple's gate.
Sennelier (from 24 assorted colors set) on sennelier pastel pad (16*24cm)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/1350140-IMG_2697.jpg

tuscanny
04-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Lovely close up, Poulpi! I like your bright and cheerful colors. You could try and lighten the background green going up to the sky to give a better sense of depth. It's quite a challenge getting the right hues with 24 colors.:thumbsup:

AllanWaiShingMak
04-19-2015, 03:35 AM
Yes Poulpi , just as Tuscanny said that you could brighten the distant mount to create field of depth. , I like your render of the sunlight casted on the bird-gate. It's perfect , the beautiful color of the red gate complementary of the green made your gate looks sharp and attractive. your work is great good job ! Keep on !

AllanWaiShingMak
04-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone ! I hope you're still working on some of the photos posted this month, just like me ! It is not a challenge if you try it !

Here is an update of my work , though not finish but good to view it anyway
Sorry it's not HD
Allan

AllanWaiShingMak
04-21-2015, 02:52 AM
The Sennelier's White oil pastel is perfect for this illustruction. And i had retouched the white area over again to completely cover the bottom layer . It is now whiten to imitate flurensence light and color some blue edges to give a glow effect.

poulpi
04-21-2015, 05:53 AM
I am so impressed by your painting !
The lights really come out from the night.
Waiting to see the finished version...

tuscanny
04-21-2015, 11:21 AM
This does look great. Looking forward to seeing the finished version!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Sorry just little bit late to response ! My excuse is time zone absolute different
(:-D ...

Just do it and after that you could ! Don't surrender that easily ! Sometime you also need imagination and see as many paintings as you could and should learn from those beautiful paintings too. don't just following the instant answer suggecting by photo . Photo could be deceitful although we need it . Thanks Tuscanny .

purpletrader
04-21-2015, 11:46 AM
I am working on the flowers. I started with a layer of hard OPs and then placed Mungyo OPs on top. I have some more work to do but will try to get it done soon.

ed

edhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1580605-red_flowers_2_low_res.jpg

AllanWaiShingMak
04-21-2015, 12:31 PM
That's great ! The peaches blossoms are beautiful , and their color, size & position gives us a sence of depth , the bright green on the right side bkground created a spacious background and intensified space illusion . Look forward to see your complete painting ! Keep on

tuscanny
04-21-2015, 11:28 PM
Great start Ed!

purpletrader
04-23-2015, 01:45 PM
here is the final version. there are a few things that i might want to change but doubt that i will have the time and i am reasonably satisfied with it now.

ed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2015/1580605-red_flowers_final.jpg

tuscanny
04-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Lovely work, Ed. You could still add some lighter color to the center flower as highlights, to make it more the focal point. To make it pop even more, you could darken the darks in the background. To see your value range, look at a greyscale version of your photo. Great going!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Great job ! Ex. I think you could draw some white lines assemble the stigma which will give the flowers more realistic look . Yes I agreed Tuscanny suggests that gave the Center flower some highlight which the Center of interest will become clear. Do it when you have time ! Actually the peaches bloomsome is very hard but you done it beautifully . I had thought this month challenges was very hard but you guys were doing great ! Two thumb up !

AllanWaiShingMak
04-24-2015, 11:58 AM
My Japanese shopping mall almost done ! Watch out soon debut

AllanWaiShingMak
04-25-2015, 09:19 PM
here is it ! Completely used Pentel , Sennellier oil pastel the size is 16 x 5 in

tuscanny
04-26-2015, 12:13 AM
Wow! Well done, Allan!

AllanWaiShingMak
04-26-2015, 01:38 AM
Maybe the photo is poor I'll change it later . Thanks Tuscanny.
But this isn't the end . I have some tips to share !

Lori Keets
04-26-2015, 03:20 AM
That is so awesome Allan!!

I might not want to post mine now....

Lori Keets
04-26-2015, 03:38 AM
Ok, I will :thumbsup:

I picked one of the shops in the japanese mall

Mungyo and Micador OP on smooth drawing paper, original size is A4.
I use coloured pencils as blenders, and to help define some of the edges :heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/1190686-japanese_shop2.jpg

AllanWaiShingMak
04-26-2015, 04:51 AM
Don't be hesitated to post , this is the forum to share thoughts and works .
I don't bite & bark !

Lori Keets , you're doing just great ' love your drawing ,your choice of color
give the drawing an harmony look. I urge you then to finish your beautiful work later.

AllanWaiShingMak
04-26-2015, 06:17 AM
here is just another update of the file , it is a lightly edited version . Allan

tuscanny
04-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Beautiful painting, Lori! I also use cp as blenders sometimes and it works great. I like your brickwork and lettering. The street is cool too.
Allan, beautiful.

Lori Keets
04-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Thankyou so much Allan and Christel for the encouragement :heart:

Allan, the editing on your streetscene has made the colours sharper, and given the painting more 'energy' , how was it done?

I am finding it a bit tricky to tweak a photo or scan to make the image have the same vibrancy as the original drawing. A bit of contrast and midtone adjustment in Microsoft PictureManager is all I have done so far :)

purpletrader
04-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Nice painting, Lori. It has a definite CP feel to it. I have never tried using colored pencils the way you did but it looks interesting.

ed

AllanWaiShingMak
04-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Thank you everyone , thank for your opinions .

The white entrance on the left had its diagonal frame edges colored blue that will help tocreate a glow effect. then l drew all thing around it dark . The white door will be radiant

The analogue colour of yellow is green and orange . They are side by side colours on the colour wheel,
these colours used in here shopping mall giving a spacious interior look . the centre arcada sits at the background and the people come forward to the foreground . the colour contrast separate features.

l may post some tip next day or then.. thank for replies . :clap:

AllanWaiShingMak
04-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Hello , sorry my tips will be post ASAP ,though it was late, ! But just to say thanks to whom took the Japan challenges and to those visited the thread , and also those left a comments , and also to our kind moderater Pat who behinds the curtain . Good painting , should keep on doing ! Allan

AllanWaiShingMak
04-30-2015, 05:48 AM
here is what you may do after finished your artwork

you may use a very soft flat bamboo brush to sweep your painting once it finished. it will sweep away those loose pigment on the work. then you could lay a transparent tracing paper on top of your work ,and if any bumps occur , this compression on the tracing paper will secure pigments on the work. pigment will not come out later ...

AllanWaiShingMak
04-30-2015, 06:04 AM
l love this below technique

sprinkle some crumbs or bits of broken piece of oil pastel on the painting , then use a flat palette knife to compress them . because oil pastel is adhesive so they'll be flattened and leaving a beautiful uneven surface behind.

here is an example , l smeared the oil pastel pigment on the left and right side of the leaves , that technique gives your work more textures and oil painting look

AllanWaiShingMak
04-30-2015, 06:14 AM
here is another way to make highlight on shiny surface such as flash on a pupil or glasses

l cut a very thin layer or peel off a skin on a oil pastel stick by a razor cutter
and you cut the skin to whatever size or shape you want .

Pick that tiny piece of oil pastel skin by the tip of a razor, and place it wherever you want to . you could even make a stencil to achieve the same high light effect here . but l found the former method is easily

AllanWaiShingMak
04-30-2015, 06:17 AM
Keep challenge yourself and you could paint better ! Good Luck

tuscanny
05-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Thanks Allan for those tips. Thanks also for hosting this month. We've all learnt a bit more.

poulpi
05-01-2015, 05:53 PM
I updated my paint thanks to your advices about the mountains : it makes the background less flat, thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2015/1350140-IMG_1171.JPG

AllanWaiShingMak
05-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Oh ! Poulpi, It's much better , the contrast gives a sence of dimension , this color contrast separates foreground and bkgr. Wish you benefit from this technique next coming project !

poulpi
05-20-2015, 04:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2015/1350140-Sans_titre.jpg

tuscanny
05-21-2015, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the lovely gallery, Poulpi!

AllanWaiShingMak
05-23-2015, 07:55 AM
wow Poulpi ?

Thanks for this beautiful index of April challenges >you deserved my applauses and appreciation . this is fabulous and lovely ...........