PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Michaelangelo - APRIL - 2015

azulparsnip
04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Greetings and salutations my bestest, bestest, Art Buds -

I hope you guys can join us this month. Contribute your current doodle or masterpiece and we will rejoice with you and your creativity cause YOU ARE one of a kind.

We've got a fun thread Religious Art thread up for April. check it out
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20435748#post20435748

I'd like to paint the drawing I did for the March project but first I am really , REALLY clearing out a pile of half finished pieces I've had around for over a year.
For example these two backgrounds I did maybe 2 yrs ago and every time I got them out they really intimidated me......but no more........and VOILA - magic - nice cards or whatever.....anyway....it's back to the pile for me and then I will be FREE to move on.

So lets enjoy April and ART together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2015/88676-on-a-twig.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2015/88676-nestling.gif

tyree
04-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Robin...those are so wonderful ..nice and loose ....I posted tonight a couple of works in the new Religion thread...my computer is old and i still have dial up:eek: :lol: ...it took me one hour to post those works and one for the new Bird thread...now its bed time.....:smug: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2015/65063-owls.jpg two Barred owls from the Corkscrew Sanctuary....goodnight ! tyree

tyree
04-02-2015, 04:17 PM
yea..tomorrow is friday...good friday...:angel: heres a little guy we have a lot of down here ! tyree :wave:

tyree
04-06-2015, 10:43 AM
where did everybody go??:lol: hope you all had a good Easter...I stayed home..watched tv (The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston as Moses) and ate:smug: im getting ready to try one of Junes bird challenges in pastel...tyree:wave:

Nickel
04-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Hi Robin, Hi Susan

Spent the Easter weekend cooking,hiding Easter eggs, playing with children. I didn't see Moses but watched part of some other program about the Crucifixion.

Love the birds! Lol and the alligator! Many years ago, I spent some time in LaBelle. The lagoons appeared full of alligators. Hope that big one is not too close to where you live.

I am painting the whooper swan and am almost finished. Will post soon. I really enjoy birds.

tyree
04-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Looking forward to seeing all your birds Nickel.....!! Boy, is it getting HOT down here...ive had my air conditioning on since Feb...:( ...so the big electric bills will start early this year...I posted an oldie in the Religion Forum and one in the Bird Forum... and getting ready to start another bird.....hope everyone is well ...! tyree:wave:

Nickel
04-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Hi Susan, having your air condition on all ready...wow!
I just turned off the heat. It was 85 today though.

It seems pretty quiet around here in the forums but it's been nice to reconnect with some of my friends.

Today, I started washing walnut oil and am getting ready to make sun-thickened oil for painting.
It doesn't get real hot here yet, but in a few weeks I look forward to some home-made sun loving oil.

azulparsnip
04-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Hi all - been in a whirl of late.....good to connect here with you guys:) . Phew, air-conditioning since FEB:eek: . Susan, did you take those photos? Oh, I feel your pain......uploading for 1 hour....i'm pretty spoiled in that.

Nickel - I'm at a loss to understand how you are washing oil? Are you letting oil thicken in sun for painting purposes? Are these alternatives to linseed?

I'm trying to paint everyday 12 to 2:30 six days a week. Today is day five! It is interesting. I'm learning a lot about my self and techniques to bring something to coherency. I'm struggling but it feels good to have a solid goal.

Here is one I used part of one of our project drawings for.

Hope ya'll have a lovely dayhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/88676-3pointofreferenceB.gif

tyree
04-09-2015, 09:55 AM
Hi all...yes those are my photos...your welcome to use them for painting...I would love it if you did !!!:thumbsup: Nickel..im curious about this walnut oil too...can you tell us more detail ? Robin...I love it...that guy to the side of the ruckus is so funny...what a terrific piece..your style is so refreshing and new ..love it:heart: ...tyree:wave:

Nickel
04-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Robin, way to go! Sounds like you are really busy! And disciplined!
I like how the color is so vivid and enjoy the rhythm.

Yes you got it right about washing the oil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/39040-17091005905_33ae80c051_z.jpg

It is a step one can do in making their own sun-thickened oil. Washing first helps to clean and oxygenate the oil before exposing the mixture to the sun. Just mix your oil and water, shake until all your stress is gone (just kidding) for a few days then proceed with sunning the oil in a glass pan, with a lid, a glass from a picture frame raised slightly to allow air but keep out dirt. Stir gently every other day till you reach your desired consistency of oil thickness. Drain the water, bottle the oil. I sometimes add a little to my painting medium for the final layer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/39040-wop201504washingwalnutoil.jpg

I don't know if you can see it, but it gets what I call slug at the bottom, the stuff that is like fat gobs. So the washing helps to get rid of this stuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2015/39040-wop201504washingwalnutoilseperatedview.jpg

This is the water and oil in a bottle. I guess it is really not a lot different than washing clothes with agitation to loosen the dirt.

You can buy it already made, it's used as a part of a painting medium.

trafford
04-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Everybody here seems to have renewed energy...I certainly need to pop out after this dreadful winter in the North East.

I'm having my right eye surgery Monday and I'm a little nervous, imagining all sorts of things. Tyree help me on this. It would be nice to see again. I miss reading.

I'll let you know how it goes :heart:

tyree
04-10-2015, 06:12 AM
Janet...its nothing to it...you will be amazed how well you'll be able to see in just a matter of a day...be sure to take the drops they give you,,keep up with it..don't neglect it...rest...is also important after the operation...also follow thru with the doctor exams afterwards..colour will be amazing...reading will be amazing...your going to be happy that you did...good luck to ...I will be thinking about you:heart: tyree:wave:

tyree
04-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Nickel...I don't seem to git rid of my fat gobs with washing...:eek: :evil: :lol: tyree

Nickel
04-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Susan, you made my day!
I'll never take a washing again without wondering why my fat gobs don't disappear! LOL! Love it!

See you guys sometime next week!

Good luck and best wishes Janet!

Nickel
04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Janet, thinking of you this morning! :thumbsup:

Hi June, Robin, Susan

Susan, read this on fb this weekend.
Now this explains the whole fat gob mystery!:lol:

Don't shampoo in the shower. It's so good to finally get a health warning that is useful!

I don't know why I didn't figure this out sooner. I use shampoo in the shower and when I wash my hair the shampoo runs down my whole body. Printed clearly on the shampoo label is the warning, "for extra body and volume." No wonder I have been gaining weight.

Well, I've gotten rid of that shampoo and am going to start shampooing with Dawn dish soap. Its label reads, "dissolves fat that is otherwise difficult to remove."

tyree
04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
THAT JUST MADE MY DAY...:lol: :D :D way too funny....I think I have gained an extra 15 lbs this winter....I sit mostly at work...and im very lazy on weekends:rolleyes: ....is it quicker Nickel if you injest it:eek: tyree:wave: :clap:

trafford
04-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Right eye done and follow up yesterday and it's looking pretty good. Lots of eye drops all day. First try splashed drop all over my face, but I think I've got it down now. Have strange bee like patch to put over my eye at night incase I rub or punch myself.

Can do everything except exercise (shucks) and lift big things or bend to pick up stuff. The floor is already strewn with hair clips stockings and everything else I dropped yesterday. Of course I could do a plie, but that sounds like exercise to me.

I can eat....but I think I'd better put that on my can't do much of list.

Here is another try to use a paint thingy on the computer:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2015/42757-Street_scene_with_fish-34-2014.07.26-10.18.37.jpg

tyree
04-16-2015, 06:12 AM
janet...im sooooo glad everything turned out well for you....and I know your pleased to be able to see again...are you going to have to do the other eye too?....I love your new post..great style ! tyree:wave: :clap:

azulparsnip
04-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Yeeeay Janet - that is wonderful news, And a bright perky piece of art now:thumbsup:

You know fatgobbs are important storage units........hummmmm,

Well, hubbie has been away 12 days and comes home today so I gotta move the furniture back in place for two way traffic! No more goofing around. Though I a bound and determined to make an earnest effort to maintain the goofing pattern I have newly established......:cat:

later artbuds:heart:

Nickel
04-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi Susan, Don't think we should drink dawn. lol. I think an old fashion would be good today. If it don't work the first time, let's try two.

Janet, like your painting. You are pretty good at it! Love the colors. Do I recognize those buildings from somewhere? Are those sharks in the water? What kind of program do you use? Just curious as I've never used any. Glad your operation was successful!

It's rainy here. Gloomy. Not hot so I am just chilling. Don't like hot or cold weather. Guess I like a day like today. I can hear birds singing outside my open window, rain, and an occasional car.

I have refused to paint since last weekend. Moody. I have a bird I started painting that stares at me when I go by and questions where are it's feathers?

I'm using a new product for me, the Arches oil painting paper. Not sure what I think so far of the texture. It is just paper so I don't know what I expected it to be otherwise.

Yesterday I put the walnut oil outside to bleach and thicken. I think it will be successful if I can keep all the yellow pollen out of it. The pollen is so thick and heavy you could use it for a pigment.

As for fat gobs, some got mixed back into the cleaned oil when I was moving it into the glass dish I am using to hold the oil in while it transforms in the sun. I'll have to accommodate some. I will believe you Robin that fat gobs are important storage units.

trafford
04-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Hey, guys...every time you mention fat gobs I feel like I've gained another pound :)

My on line art thingy is Fresh Paint. It came with the computer, and I don't think I've got the whole thing as they want you to buy stuff, like a magic brush etc. I play with it once in a while. I posted this one before....and it took forever to do. My hand kept slipping and I'd get a long ugly line.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2015/42757-FreshPaint-35-2014.08.03-02.56.37.jpg

It came out well...but I have no patience to try again for a while. It is fun to use the device like finger paint. :heart:

Nickel
04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
My dear Janet, looks just like you!
Sophisticated, stylish & beautiful lady!

tyree
04-20-2015, 07:32 PM
janet...is this you...wow..your gorgeous...can you give a small tutorial on how this computer art works...i live in the stone ages..i still have dial up..:eek: ....went for a long walk with hb this weekend to clear the cobwebs...it was warm, but the place where we walked is so wonderful and peaceful.....i took a pic of this little guy...i liked how he turned out, plus the b/g turned out cool,,,i didnt plan it...just happened:evil: ...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2015/65063-zzz_wde_photo_for_june.jpg now its monday again, back to work again, and the cobwebs have come back again:D tyree:wave: :heart:

tyree
04-21-2015, 04:22 PM
I had an old friend the other day ask me (i hadnt seen her in awhile) why i didnt sell my art..and didnt i go to art festivals to see what was being bought.....I think in all my years of art, ive only sold maybe two works...I just never have thought of my work as something ..someone else would want...does that make sense? I dont have any works from my twentys, thirtys or early forties...i had stopped art completely for along time...a professor in college had told me that "i" had ruined the whole program for others, i didnt get my degree, and i pretty much quit all art......i didnt start drawing again ..till maybe my fifties....i guess what im saying is..i dont care for the critiques or if you like or dont like my work...its only for me, and those who do...like you all..my art buddies...tyree:heart:

Nickel
04-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Here's the thing with me Susan, I've always liked your art. Your professor was a jerk. Dear friends, we love them. God bless them, they may never understand us. I'm so glad that I've known you by the work you've shared here. You have enriched my life. :heart: :heart: :heart:

You are one of the kindest persons ever!

trafford
04-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Thank you...I haven't looked like that for many a year....By the way the hat and scarf came from the Dollar Tree.

Love your little guy Susan and love your art work too. Imagine me doing my doodles surrounded by my mother and father's art work I wanted to be a ballet dancer and didn't even try painting untill my 40's. Went to a great teacher at an adult center, who had her students leave her with amazing abstracts whatever their skills in the beginning.

My son went to the Boston Fine Arts Museum School and it seemed to me that it was all cliques, competition and very little actual training.

And then there are the artists that are self taught. I post a few artists every day on Facebook and I swear looking them up, finding new artists and looking at their work has improved my drawing. My fellow Classicals have been an inspiration too.

That's my speech for today...now for some coffee :heart:

tyree
04-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Thank you all for your kind words...I knew you would understand my words...tyree:heart:

tyree
04-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Do you all watch movies..? I watched "Big Eyes" the other day...it was a story about Walter Keene and his wife..She was the one who had come up with the idea of painting waifs with big huge soulful eyes..im sure you've seen them...but, he took all the credit for painting them..and left her in the shadow..literally....it made them wealthy...but, left her pretty crippled with anxiety and frustration....My mom and I had travelled at that time from Chicago to san Francisco on a train to visit her relatives...we had visited my uncles studio in frisco, than we went to Keenes studio...I have never heard about this story until the movie came out...it was quite a shocker and surprise and very disturbing....the movie is pretty good and I really like the actors who portrayed the parts...check it out...tyree:wave:

Nickel
04-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Janet love your post on Facebook!
I follow them everyday.

Susan, I'll have to check out that movie.
Interesting your connections!

One thing I've learned in life is when you give something to someone, you don't always get reciprocated back from that person, and not that you should expect anything in return but somewhere, sometime, you do get reciprocated for what you do or did do. What is that called, the circle of life, or it will come back to get you, or you can't escape your due? My momma use to say you can't run from it, it will catch you.

Nickel
04-24-2015, 05:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2015/39040-17069147518_4cf92fe0d0_k.jpg

From the garden :wave:

tyree
04-24-2015, 06:49 PM
those are pretty...wouldnt they look grande in a derby hat :eek: :D ! tyree:wave:

trafford
04-26-2015, 08:57 AM
Such beautiful flowers Nickel..I'm longing for Spring to actually be here. I'm tired of the sneak previews.

I will look up "Blue Eyes" Susan. I have a few dramatized movies on artists, but the best one is a documentary on Hans Hoffman. He was a wonderful teacher and quite a character. Even if you don't like his art it's worth a look. I have a video but I think it's out on DVD now.

I am watching "The Story of Film" on Netflix streaming. A long series with the innovators and story tellers from all over the world from the silent to the 2000's. It's like you are auditing a film course.

I am doodling hoping to come up with some ideas. Here is one of them

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/42757-clothespins_1.jpg

Nickel
04-26-2015, 10:42 PM
Janet, your doodle of wash and clothespins are right in line with my washboard.
Both things associated with wash day.
I like the your doodling. Love the color combination, and really like the effect of the paper.

Susan, this flower would indeed look grand on a derby hat!

I am hoping to do a derby hat this week just for fun!
Anyone up for a challenge to do one this week too?

Nickel
04-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Just in case. :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/39040-obitsoap.jpg

trafford
04-27-2015, 07:57 AM
I want that book of testimonials :)

All artists seem to like washing day. Look at all the clothing line paintings It's a shame some places wont allow you to hang out laundry. In Italy the clothes fly in the breeze from almost every balcony...a sign of life in that dwelling.

I'll do a derby and maybe some other hats too.

Would anyone like a paint a long for May? I think I could throw together some pics. :heart:

Nickel
04-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Would anyone like a paint a long for May? I think I could throw together some pics. :heart:

Sounds great!

azulparsnip
04-27-2015, 12:29 PM
OML - oh my LORD - Susan I think your gater made it into the painting of the two birds I did a few days ago......he is below them, I need to pull him out with some smaller strokes but I knew he was there but didn't realize he was here on this thread till just now!!!! (I just posted the painting in the BIRD thread)

And Susan , Janet, Nickel and June you guys have impacted my life like noe other artists...........art is intimate.........graphic art is important to convey ideas but intimate art is promotes health, life, is prophetic and cathartic.......and sometimes we have to wait a while to appreciate it value of it and sometimes it is just a piece of junk somebody farted out..........the heart of the artist is the point of integration.......an you guys got that in spades:heart:

azulparsnip
04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Heck yeah, I'd go for a paint along right about May, Traffie

azulparsnip
04-28-2015, 09:25 AM
here is what I painted yesterday.....it needs something maybe? but right now I think I'll just look at it from different angles........maybe paint something using it for a wormhole........

What cha think??? http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/88676-sqthree.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/88676-sqtwo.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/88676-squarfour.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/88676-squone.gif

Nickel
04-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Robin......It's very interesting the way your art is headed. You are right on top of something. I like the white as it seems to lead you around the painting.

Can you help me and explain what you mean by "paint something and use it for a wormhole?"

tyree
04-29-2015, 06:36 AM
Ive been trying to buy some of that obesity soap at wallyworld...I think they have everything:evil: and I cant seem to locate the aisle its in ? Janet, that's so neat with the clothesline..i don't see people doing that much anymore....no fresh or clean air for the sheets :eek: .....Im like Nickel, I am not sure what the worm hole meaning is...love the work though, always intriguing..!! BTW...where are we to post our derby hat drawings ? tyree:wave:

azulparsnip
04-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Hey, I'l love to explain what I mean by wormhole painting......It started with a painting titled Point of Integration...it is on by blog (link here in my signature) and then while the painting was drying on the bed I walked by and saw it sideways and saw another composition in the lines and colors , so the next day I painted that composition, (also posted on blog) then that second one was drying again I saw another composition in there....and so on... one after another like a wormhole leading to another place .....so far I have painted 5 different compositions one coming from the previous....I haven't cropped all of them for posting on blog....but there are the first and the following 3 posted on the blog ...........