PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes - A Forum Project April 2015

LavenderFrost
04-01-2015, 10:46 AM
WELCOME TO THE APRIL 2015 DIFFERENT STROKES CHALLENGE

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302516)
Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:

On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

All entries must be for this challenge and in acrylics - any type of acrylic.

Join in the discussion about the project - it's friendly and fun to learn how others are coping/struggling/thriving!!! But no visual images!

Help can be gained from asking but also from looking for resource materials elsewhere - the RIL e.g.

A 'reveal' date for all is 21st of the month - that gives us 3 weeks to make the work, plus an extra week for latecomers.
Interpret the ideas any way you wish - be inventive, realistic, influenced by another style or '...ism' - it's up to you!

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 21ST OF THE MONTH.** Much more exciting and fun to see what 'masterpieces' appear!

If work is uploaded early it will be moved to a safe place until 21st.

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ......
that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!

The challenge this month is MACRO FLOWERS.

For some of us in colder climates this is the time to think about the warm weather and a new growing season coming. This is what made me choose this theme for this month, looking forward to seeing flowers blooming, planting more of my own, and visiting other yards. Always on the lookout for new references. I think this is a good time to dig one out from a previous season. Or if you don't have any, the RIL has a lot to choose from.

I also realize that some members are from the other side of the world where the seasons are the opposite from ours. That is so hard to imagine, the seasons are so tied in with the months and holidays for me. And some of you don't have winter or snow. Please tell us about April in your part of the world and what it means to you.

So your challenge for this month is to paint any flower you want, but it has to be a close up, or macro, shot.

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks Michelle - macro it is (might even use a BIG canvas for it ...... or not!)

If anyone is not a floral painter, think Georgia O'Keeffe - and fill the space with the close-up:) (even if you're doing a miniature!):lol:

amdaoh
04-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Oh! I am so excited about this one. I had an idea about doing something like this already. Perfect! Thanks LavenderFrost!

Pips
04-01-2015, 12:31 PM
:clap: Good one Michelle - I've always liked Georgia O'Keefe's work so it'll be fun trying to come up with something along those lines. A couple of days ago I might have been thinking about going out and taking some photo's as the daffodils were breaking into bloom quite early but the cold snap we're having just now has made them retreat so it'll be a trawl through the photograph box to find some inspiration instead.

DizzyD
04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
A great idea Michelle! I've never done flowers before, so it should be interesting... we could use some spring here in Nova Scotia.. it's been a long hard winter and we still have 3 feet of snow on the ground, so i won't be using any photos of my own..

TamiP
04-01-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm up for a challenge. I've always kind of sucked at floral work, so it will be a good chance to practice something I tend to shy away from. :)

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Nice to see you all up for a challenge! Go for it!:D

Mrs B
04-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Hey Michelle, thanks for hosting this month and what a lovely challenge!! I've always wanted to have a go at something really close up and never seen to get round to trying a floral painting! Sounds like its going to be a lot of fun! :clap:

cliff.kachinske
04-01-2015, 05:14 PM
O noes! I just did one of those.

But thanks for hosting this one anyway Michelle. :thumbsup: :clap:

I'm in anyway, as soon as I figure out which of the weeds in my yard to paint. They flower first, ya know.:lol:

Imogene Thomas
04-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Michele,
Perfect timing in my area Spring has sprung....lots of flowers to choose from.

windspirit50
04-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Spring has sprung in the northwest of US. Thanks, Michele, for this month's challenge. Flowers are one of my favorites.

ColinS
04-02-2015, 01:45 AM
:eek:

Flowers are tough. ;) But we have lots in bloom now, so I have potentially a wide selection to choose from. We visited Butchart Gardens with friends over the weekend, so I might ask DW if I can paint one of her photos.

chammi kaiser
04-02-2015, 03:02 AM
I am a lousy floral painter but like the challenge and will definitely give it a go.

LavenderFrost
04-02-2015, 12:25 PM
Great to see so many responses! If this is your first time painting flowers, don't be afraid. Just be sure to find a good reference, and paint what you see. If you are really timid, choose something that is already kind of 2 dimensional, like pansies. I know in the beginning I was afraid of flowers that had petals everywhere lol.

Well, the snow here had nearly all melted twice already and today it's snowing again. We never have what I would call a normal spring. It isn't until the end of May that I can feel sure it won't snow or freeze again. Then it turns hot.

I actually didn't have much to choose from in my reference pile. I tell myself every year to take more flower pictures but then I'm too busy battling weeds lol. I know what you mean Cliff, I think those things keep growing under the snow.

I had to look up Georgia O'Keeffe. Yeah, those are really nice.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2015, 05:10 PM
The RIL has lots of macro images of a whole host of blooms, so do go there!

A macro flowers should absolutely fill the space - even to elimination any sense of background - so don't just think a number of blooms or bouquet - a macro is a single HUGE flower :)

The Plant Parade this month is 'dahlias' so I've been looking at those, and there's a good selection of macros there.:)

O'Keeffe said she wanted others to see what she saw in a flower - hence her macro florals!:)

windspirit50
04-02-2015, 09:10 PM
I just typed in Macro Paintings on Google Images. Great for looking through and getting ideas of what a macro painting should look like.

LavenderFrost
04-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I often use Google images for inspiration. It's a nice way to relax with a phone or tablet and just gaze at the pictures.

I hope I get my own challenge done in time, lol. Can't believe it's Easter this weekend already! And my dad's birthday. I'm making him a gift, and I'll be baking him a cake. And I really need to get my income tax done already.

Ms.Sakr
04-03-2015, 02:00 PM
That's new for me! Nice challenge, Michelle. Will definitely give it a go :).
What April means here is: it's too warm for any smooth blending :D. Because my room has an east-facing window, the paint dries within seconds.

LavenderFrost
04-04-2015, 11:41 AM
I have trouble with smooth blending no matter what time of year. lol

mellybean
04-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Ooh a good subject for my first Different Strokes! I haven't done a floral painting in yeeeeeears!

Violetta
04-04-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm participating in a DS challenge for the first time in a long time. But I have to admit I had the painting already started before it was announced. :D It still counts though.

LavenderFrost
04-05-2015, 10:35 AM
Glad you like it mellybean.

Yes it still counts Judy. Isn't it great when the project coincides with something we wanted to do anyway?

Happy Easter to everyone celebrating this weekend.

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm wondering if I dare kill two birds with one stone!!!!!!! - well, not literally, but the Plant Parade and this coincide!:lol:
Don't usually 'cheat' on the challenges:lol:

Welcome mellybean - you're sure to enjoy this! ......... Judy, glad you're back with DS again:)

msoshu
04-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I've got one foot half in in this challenge. Think I will join in, and see how it goes for me.

Rose4U
04-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Great Challenge Michelle

I hope I have the time to join in. I have always wanted to try one of these.

LavenderFrost
04-06-2015, 11:13 AM
That wouldn't be cheating Maureen, it would be saving time if you need to.

Welcome msoshu and Rosanne!

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Ah well, if I have official permission ................ :lol:
Thanks Michelle!:)

Karendart84
04-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Michelle this subject got me going. I had so much fun doing one I'm going to do another. Maureen I thought the same thing about the two forums and another site is doing Georgia O'Keefe. :D I think my studio is going to be full of macro flowers. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

ColinS
04-06-2015, 08:08 PM
You are all making me queasy with your enthusiasm and progress. :eek:

I haven't even started my drawing yet. Went out today and battled real life weeds and have to go out of town for a few days up to see Prince George. (The town not the baby :D ). It will still be late winter up there I expect.

LavenderFrost
04-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Glad you're enjoying it Karen.

Now Colin, stressing yourself out already isn't going to help. lol Tell yourself this will be fun.

Well, today is the day I'm going to buckle down and get our income tax done. Ugh! I hate that stuff, and even worse since my husband started his own business. Wish me luck that I get it done quickly so I can get back to more important things! lol

cem
04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I have selected 3 references, now to decide which one. I know I won't have time to do more. Need to get started.
Had another injection in my right eye yesterday. Need to get one every 4-6 wks. GRRR. Not fun! Today it is running and achy. But I will persevere and get started.

LavenderFrost
04-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Omg Cindy, my eyes hurt just thinking about it. It sounds scary. I think you mentioned this before but I forget the details. What will the injections do?

cem
04-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Michelle: The injections are suppose to reduce the swelling in my eye caused by diabetic retinopathy. Yes it is kind of scary. Very stressful for me.

Well I started on my painting. Trying to loosen up a bit with this one. Looking forward to seeing everyone's work!

Charlie's Mum
04-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Hugs for you Cindy:)

LavenderFrost
04-10-2015, 12:14 PM
As long as it's not hard on your eyes Cindy. I find painting can be a good distraction from physical discomfort sometimes.

I'm still struggling with income tax. I hope I can get it done soon so I can get that off my mind and I'm hoping that I can get enough quiet time (meaning 4 year old out of the house) next week so I can make a video of this one.

mellybean
04-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Cindy - Hope you feel better soon!

Trying to decide between two difference reference images....such a hard decision! Maybe I'll have to do both if I have time :) Hoping to start the first one today, just need to paint a closet first (not the fun kind of painting, unfortunately!) and bake something delicious for a coworker's birthday tomorrow.

cliff.kachinske
04-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Oh Cindy ... what Maureen said.

Taxes. Blech.

LavenderFrost
04-11-2015, 11:29 AM
You could practise painting flowers in your closet mellybean. :lol:

mellybean
04-11-2015, 04:42 PM
You could practise painting flowers in your closet mellybean. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I should have! I don't think the hubby would approve tho!

Pips
04-12-2015, 12:07 PM
:eek: Decisions, decisions. When I looked through my photo stack I was amazed at the number of macro flowers I've got there - so I suppose I always intended to have a go at one someday.

Well I got started today, fairly happy with the first blocking in but am using canvas paper for the first time and not sure yet whether it's a support I'm going to like - will wait and see how it progresses.

PattiLou
04-12-2015, 03:37 PM
I prefer the canvas pads which are canvas instead of canvas textured paper. You can always adhere it to a sturdy support. The nice thing is you can cut it any odd size you want to fit odd frames or other projects.

CinderellaG
04-13-2015, 09:18 AM
What a great subject for spring! I thought I wouldn't be able to join in this month but my plans changed and I will be home . I have a photo I took last year and wanted to paint but didn't.. Now it fits right in. Cindy, my heart goes out to you and I totally admire your courage and strength to do what must be done...you go girl!

LavenderFrost
04-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Well, I've been preparing my support and cropped my reference. Normally I would start with a grid and make a careful outline, but this flower has so many petals, I might do it more free hand to save time. I have the outer outline on paper to get me started. I'm so unsure of myself, it's hard to do things free hand. I've had a few bad experiences of getting things way off. But isn't it funny how just applying some paint can be a scary thing. Let's remember to have fun!

I have used acrylic paper, which is probably the same thing you're using Pips. I really liked it, but everyone has their own preferences. It's good to try it out and see if you like it.

Glad you can join us Cindy G!

LavenderFrost
04-15-2015, 11:49 AM
I started mine yesterday. It does have some background in it, obviously not much, but it still took a few hours just to do that. Why am I so slow? lol And yet it feels like I'm working quickly.

I'll get started on the actual flower today or tomorrow. I drew the petal outlines with charcoal. I really wanted to let go and just draw the petals freely, but couldn't help myself and was staring at the reference and trying to imitate the shapes as closely as I could. Probably better off that way anyway lol. At least I didn't grid the whole thing, that's something.

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2015, 12:13 PM
I might be a little late with mine - unless I can do it tonight!:lol:
We'll be away for a couple of days from tomorrow - providing the weather stays decent, if it doesn't we'll be heading back home again :rolleyes: :)

cem
04-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Have a good time Maureen!

I have made 2 attempts and produced 2 failures! I fell in love with a particular reference but it doesn't love me back! I may just have to give up on this challenge. I am not a floral painter!!! Well, maybe one more stab at it:)

Charlie's Mum
04-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Cindy - they're just shapes organised differently!:)

Pips
04-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Managed to get a bit more done on mine today - finding the canvas just sucks the paint off the brush and that is taking some getting used to.

Cindy don't give up - If you find a ref that gets right into the flower you can forget what the subject is and just concentrate on the almost abstract patterns you see (at least, that is what I am trying to do - reveal day will show how far I succeed :crossfingers: )

PattiLou
04-15-2015, 05:27 PM
I started one today. The way it is looking it might not see the light of day outside the studio! :lol: I have trouble painting on mat board... gessoed it and it still sucks the paint off the brush. :eek: I do keep trying though... stubborn I am!

Imogene Thomas
04-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Background and base coat down.....and drying. I will attempt the second wash and some detail tomorrow.. :) feeling happy.

LavenderFrost
04-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Going on a holiday Maureen?

Maybe third time's the charm Cindy. As others said, just look at the shapes.

Sounds like Pips and Patti are having the same problem. Might just take more layers.

At least you're happy JT, lol.

cem
04-16-2015, 09:42 PM
By George I think I've got it! Third time and I think it may actually turn out pretty good. Yay!!

LavenderFrost
04-17-2015, 10:35 AM
I think I'm done. It's hard not being able to post for critiques lol. I'll admit I was a bit worried about this one so it's a relief to be done.

Mrs B
04-17-2015, 02:26 PM
Hey Folks, been away on holiday for Easter and my birthday and now back and desperate to pick up a paint brush again!!
Sounds like loads of you have made good progress! I took some photos of the blossom of one of the trees in my garden, but am really not happy with the shapes I get when I zoom in close up, so am going to spend this evening trawling through the image reference library to see what tickles my fancy....!

PattiLou
04-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Gesso............. starting over!!! :lol:

LavenderFrost
04-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks for joining us Gemma. Sounds like your holiday has you refreshed and ready to paint!

Good luck on the next try Patti.

Charlie's Mum
04-18-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm back home - so ref and paper at the ready ........ just need the urge!!!:lol:

amdaoh
04-18-2015, 03:19 PM
I finished my flower in Macro today!! I can't wait to show you all on Tuesday!! :)

PattiLou
04-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Things are going much better today.... except it looks like I'm painting something for Christmas. :lol:

ColinS
04-18-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm back home - so ref and paper at the ready ........ just need the urge!!!:lol:

I just started - urge or no - so I have something in progress. :D Time will tell if it's going to turn out. I have a tough time with flowers. They are beasts. :)

msoshu
04-19-2015, 06:17 AM
Finished mine, whew!

mellybean
04-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Just starting today - after changing my mind on the reference several times. Kept meaning to start the past few days but the weather finally got really nice and I spent the day doing yardwork and gardening outside!

Charlie's Mum
04-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Yes Mel - the weather is better here too today, so I've been gardening too!!

I'm such a procrastinator!!!!!! - came into the study from the garden and soon I'll have to cook dinner ..... then the light will not be good ...... and I'll be tired :( ...... maybe tomorrow?:lol:

LavenderFrost
04-19-2015, 02:04 PM
Enjoy your nice weather, it's trying to snow here. I hoped that for once we could have a normal spring, but I should know better.

Just a couple more days. I still have to get the hard part done, taking a photo.:lol:

Colin, here's a flower beast for you.
I hope this works.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140221152759/finalfantasy/images/2/2e/Triffid.png

ColinS
04-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Enjoy your nice weather, it's trying to snow here. I hoped that for once we could have a normal spring, but I should know better.

That's rough. It's been beautiful this weekend here, after nearly a week of cold & rain. I did put in a couple hours outside yesterday and will head out again, but I am making progress on my "beast". :)

Just a couple more days. I still have to get the hard part done, taking a photo.:lol:

Colin, here's a flower beast for you.
I hope this works.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140221152759/finalfantasy/images/2/2e/Triffid.png

I remember reading that Day of the Triffids book in high school and being creeped out. Didn't like working around plants for a decade. :lol:

mellybean
04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
After 2 hours on one attempt, decided to nix that one and go a completely different way. New canvas and everything - hopefully I make the other one work at some point so as not to waste the canvas! Another 2 hours on the second attempt and I'm almost happy with it - finishing touches tomorrow.

Charlie's Mum
04-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Canvases are never wasted, fortunately! Just paint over or gesso over for the next!:)
Still haven't started - going out now too!!!:rolleyes:

LavenderFrost
04-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I never read that one Colin. This one is from Final Fantasy. They have a lot of plant based monsters, some of them like this one are really pretty.

Glad the new one is going well mellybean.

You're really waiting until the last minute Maureen!

I still have to take my photo. And start going over my video. I managed to get my 4 year old out of the house while painting but for some reason my husband kept coming in and interrupting me and bumping the camera.

Charlie's Mum
04-20-2015, 12:00 PM
I've started!;)

ColinS
04-21-2015, 01:07 AM
I've started!;)

I've finished! :clap:

cem
04-21-2015, 07:24 AM
After all my grousing I can't believe I'm the first to post! I didn't mange the looseness I said I was going for. Oh well. After the failures I actually enjoyed doing this one, still, I'm nobody's floral painter! Reference by Stephanie20. About 8x9 on cheap canvas paper. C&C welcome.824239

cliff.kachinske
04-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Daffodil, 16 X 20, canvas on sealed MDF panel.

This one was all droopy and looking down at the ground. I turned its face up and the sunlight touched it. In the reference foto you can see my thumb, but I left it out.

Hope you like it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1965263-daffy-macro.jpg

cem
04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
I like it Cliff! Dramatic yet delicate. Complimentary colors well used.

cliff.kachinske
04-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Thank you Cindy.

I think yours is wonderful. It has a lot of gracefulness and naturalness. You made it look like the easiest thing ever. I like it.

Imogene Thomas
04-21-2015, 08:48 AM
Dogwood at Dusk is a 9 x 12 acrylic on gessoed black canson paper. C & C always welcome! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/157219-IMG_0571.JPG

Imogene Thomas
04-21-2015, 08:51 AM
I love the entries Cindy and Cliff! Beautiful color and soft appeal.

msoshu
04-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Here is mine.
I tried out the glazing method for this and spent a lot of time on it. (Glazing did not come out as expected. The dead layer looked better!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1963949-purplflwr_msoshu.jpg

cliff.kachinske
04-21-2015, 09:05 AM
JT, that's very good. I like it a lot.

Msoshu, that's awesome. The dead layer must have been an amazing painting indeed.

ColinS
04-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Here is mine. It's a magnolia, taken from a photo by my wife taken a couple of months ago when we were out for a walk. We had such an early spring.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8184Camellia.jpg

This one is on 9 x 14 Canson paper.

Everyone's entry is so beautiful - will comment on each shortly.

msoshu
04-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi, forgot to mention it is on 12"x 16"canvas board.

msoshu
04-21-2015, 09:17 AM
All of you have so much light in your paintings.

ColinS
04-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Cindy - well you sure did a lovely flower. Very delicate water-colour colours.

Cliff - Love it! Great light and dark. Beautiful crop. This is a stunner.

JT - beautiful whimsical dogwood blooms. Very effective with the light against the dark background.

Msoshu - your flower is wonderful. Very moody look to it. Great crop. makes for a very effective painting.

cem
04-21-2015, 10:00 AM
JT...I love Dogwood trees. We don't get to see many of them around here. Nice work. Great contrast against the dark background.

Msoshu....That is stunning! Wonderful colors! I'd definitely hang that on my wall!

Colin...Very nicely painted Magnolia! I have only seen white ones. I can only imagine how beautiful a pink Magnolia tree is.

Gingerstx
04-21-2015, 10:35 AM
There are some beautiful flower gardens in my area, so ever since this challenge was posted, I thought about doing it. However florals aren't my forte and Georgia O'Keefe's isn't my regular style, so I kept putting it off. A few days ago, as the deadline approached, I looked through my tulip photos and decided to give it a try. It still needs some tweaks, but here's my result: Spring Beauty, 11x14 on stretched canvashttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/100864-Anderson_Spring_Beauty.JPG

Pips
04-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Some great work here - still got to photo mine so will post it in due course

Cindy – love the gentle ethereal feel you have here, the tones suit the delicate shaping of the petals perfectly.

Cliff – super daffodil, one of my favourite Spring flowers and they are often seen as brash and bright but your choice of colour has really brought out the delicate beauty of the flower

JT – I like the contrast of the fragile blossom against the dark background

Msoshu – great rendition, I really like the texture you’ve achieved with the centre of the bloom

Colin – you made a beauty of the beast! I like the delicacy and light in this

Gingerstx – I like the gentle colours of your tulip – a real contrast to the one I chose to do as you’ll see later

amdaoh
04-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Here it is! I did this Purple and Yellow Pansy flower on a 12x12 Canvas. I used, Liquitex Basics Dioxazine Purple, Primary Blue, Cadmium Yellow, Primary Yellow and Titanium White. I also tried using one of the slow drying blending medium and the Iridescent medium.

I found the reference picture either on pinterest or google images.

My biggest struggle is I get overly excited to paint and I just do it. I have many lessons learned. Overall, I am happy with it.

Reference:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1969627-amdaoh-different-strokes-april-2015-reference-image.jpg
Painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1969627-amdaoh-different-strokes-april-2015-purple-pansy.jpg

Violetta
04-21-2015, 11:34 AM
For this project I chose a different format--12 x 24 canvas with only a part of the flower image painted. See what you think of the experiment.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/102127-Day_Lily_IMG_2087_resized.jpg

LavenderFrost
04-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Cindy, you are a floral painter now, that's lovely. Looks familiar too, I painted one something like that years ago.

Cliff, very nice glow in there. Good move to leave your thumb out.

JT, very pretty. You put a lot of flowers in there, and you only had to do one. lol

Msoshu, very dramatic! I've also had paintings that looked better in the dead layer. It may be a bit dark but still looks good. But you need to look at it in person to judge if it needs some brighter highlights.

Colin, your beast is lovely!

Ginger, nicely done. Very bright and cheery.

Amdaoh, I can see why you chose that reference. Nice work.

Judy, that is wonderful!

LavenderFrost
04-21-2015, 11:49 AM
I chose a photo of a peony I took in my mom's friend's yard last summer and painted it on a wooden plaque. The painted part is 10 1/4 x 7 3/4" at the longest parts.

I left out the ant, lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/104871-RedPeony800x612.jpg

I still have to put my video together. I'll let you know when it's up.

old_hobbyist
04-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Ginormous Magnolia ITSO Magritte - 12 x 12 canvas panel

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/214919-ginormous_magnolia-resize.jpg

Karendart84
04-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Wow! Beautiful works. I will come back and comment later.

I had a lot of fun and did 3. I will post 2 at this time. I did a Dahlia for the floral forum. It is a macro so will also post here after the 25th date for the plant parade.

Hibiscus 16x20 canvas. ref from RIL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1579710-macro_hibiscus.jpg tulip 8x10 canvas board ref Jen artist daily http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1579710-macro_tulip.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-21-2015, 12:40 PM
My goodness, what a magnificent display Peeps ..... and I'll be back later to comment.

Mine serves two challenges (wouldn't normally do that but time is short!) - so anyone also doing the Plant Parade, DON'T LOOK YET!!!!!:lol: :lol:

Macro dahlia from a ref by etoiledusoir, in the RIL.
Approx 8"x12" on Brittania w/c paper (Hahnemuhle) and using acrylic inks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/30494-macro_dahlia_-_also_for_PP.jpg

BBL :wave:

cem
04-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Gingerstx....What a colorful tulip. Looks like you had fun with it.
amdaoh.......Nice work on the pansy. One of my favorite flowers.
Judy............I'd say your experiment was successful! Great bold color!
Michelle.......Gorgeous peony! Now hang it!
Jim..............Had to laugh at your "ginormous magnolia". It certainly fills up that room. I can hear it yelling "FEED ME".
Karen...........You are ambitious! Of the two, I prefer the hibiscus, but both are nicely done.
Maureen.......You sure do like those inks. Can't blame you. Lovely painting with lots of depth in the center.

Thanks for the nice comments on my entry everyone:)

ColinS
04-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Thanks for your comment on my "magnolia" Cindy. I was asleep when I posted this morning (literally 6 minutes out of bed!) It's actually a camellia. No points for my botanical skills at 6 am. Ha ha. :lol:

Gingerstx - Beautiful tulip. You got up close and personal.
amdaoh - Greatpansy. Stunning cropped view.
Judy - Your blending is really well done. I remember the first post with one of your paintings that I saw was a flower that you were trying to blend colours on - you have really got the hang of it. Great color too!
Michelle - Beautiful rich peony. i like the light you have on the edges.
Jim -.Now that's a "ginormous magnolia" and not a camellia pretending to be a magnolia .
Karen - Both of these are really spectacular. The hibiscus really draws the viewer in.
Maureen - Knocking off two birds with one dahlia? Beautiful painting with a great fluid sense to it - the centre is really stunning.

Thanks for the nice comments on the 'beast'.

msoshu
04-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Cindy: Your flower petals look really delicate. Nicely done.
Cliff: Love the translucency of the central petal whorl.
JT: A cheerful painting, I like it.
Colin: Lovely flower, it seems to radiate light.
Ginger: I like the bright look of your painting
Amdaoh: I like how you have feathered the centre of the flower.
Judy: That is lovely.
Michelle: Your flower seems to pop out of the frame, in 3-D. Very nice.
Old Hobbyist: A very different take on the subject :) . I like the flower's shadow areas/colours.
Karen: Wonderful painting of the hibiscus.
Maureen: I like the vivid colours, and how the white ring of petals stands out against it.

Thank you all for the nice comments on my painting!

Pips
04-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Catching up on new work -

amdaoh – nice ref and you captured the ‘cheeriness’ of the pansy,

Judy – great crop, I’m envious of your blending skills

Michelle – Love this, looks as though it could be plucked from the plaque, looking forward to seeing the video

Jim – love the style and the fun of the enormous magnolia– but I hope Colin doesn’t have nightmares about the ‘Tryffids’

Karen – I like both of these but especially the flowing lines of the Hibiscus

Maureen – great crop and superb vibrancy, makes me want to have a go with inks

Pips
04-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Michelle, thanks very much for this challenge, I've enjoyed having a go at this in a strangely masochistic way :evil:

OK here's mine. Tulip (no idea what variety) on canvas paper about 8"x11"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/975606-Tulip_macro_800_pixel.jpg

Really struggled with the canvas paper and it could probably have done with more layers but I'm out of time and if I keep going I have a feeling it will get even messier.

Charlie's Mum
04-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Cindy, yes you are a floral painter! Beautiful ice blue petals and lovely light!

Cliff, an unusual colour scheme but how well painted! :clap: :clap: That strong patch of yellow is magical!

Jean - love these pinks - a very pretty painting.

msoshu - meticulously observed and painted - you've handled that complex centre so well - and I really like the colours - beautiful!

Colin - this is so vibrant! You've sorted out the petal formation really well and the colours are lovely!

Ginger - really like the back-lighting on this tulip giving that lovely central glow.

Amanda - Well done! - good try here using a deceptively simple ref! It's not at all easy!:)
If you lightened the central area (check your ref) and really made that yellow impact on the eye, you'll have a good painting ...... it's all about contrast!:D

Judy - love the format, love the image, love the way you used the paint! This has to be one of your best, if not the best!.

Michelle - wow this is a complicated ref! You've sorted out the complex formation exceptionally well and great form to the individual petals and the flower as a whole. Excellent!:)

Jim - wondered what you'd come up with for this challenge!:lol: - and I'm not disappointed! I love the idea of the flower filling the room - a take-over of mammoth proportions by the Magnolia Brigade!:lol:
Truly like your colours too :thumbsup:

Karen - gosh, you have been busy! That hibiscus is lovely - but so also is the back-lit tulip - so delicate and lovely colouring.

Pips - nice crop for the tulip and HOT colouring - very nice!:)

Thank you for the comments on mine, they are much appreciated.:)

Michelle, thank you for the challenge, it's produced some really good work from everyone!

mellybean
04-21-2015, 06:51 PM
Here's my contribution - "Poppy Trio" - 12x16 on canvas. Not quite as macro as other submissions, but oh well! :angel: Love all the other paintings so far - great job everyone!

windspirit50
04-21-2015, 09:24 PM
well darn it! My painting is ....still....sitting and waiting to be finished. Maybe this weekend..I'll try to get it done! Everyone's is beautiful! Well done.

Bob in Florida
04-21-2015, 11:05 PM
The Yellow Rose of Texas

I actually did this a while back, but since its flower posting time, what the hey. 9" x 12" on canvas board.

There's some really nice flower paintings being posted on this thread.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2015/1966537-Yellow_Rose.jpg

cliff.kachinske
04-22-2015, 07:19 AM
So many great paintings since the last time I looked in.

Colin, that magnolia looks so simple but the technique is teriffic.

Ginger, love your colors and expressiveness.

Amdoah, your pansy has amazing bushy eyebrows. I like it.

Violetta, that thing is on fire. Great crop, too. Lots of movement.

Michelle, superb as always. I hope that ant doesn't feel left out.

Jim, love that big honkin' flower. Very well done. Colors are subtle and well used.

Karen, two lovely delicate blossoms. Nice.

Maureen, I'm speechless. Perfect.

Pips, struggle or no, I like the result.

Melly, wonderful texture on the blossoms. Nice background, too.

Bob, well executed rose. I especially like the way it integrates with the background. Nice sense of light also.

Michelle, thank you for the challange.

Ms.Sakr
04-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Ooh, let's see!!

Cindy - Love the blues with the yellow center. The colours sing together.

Cliff - Nice work lifting up this flower.

JTMathis - Very lovely, I love how the branches frame the main flower.

Msushou: Now that's dramatic! I like how you zoomed into the flower's heart. Great work!! :thumbsup:

Colin: I like how the flower is 'posing'. Nice colours, too.

Ginger: flowers aren't my strong point either. Painting them up close, makes it even more challenging. But your flower is definitely a good start. :)

Amdoah: So lovely. I love yellows when coupled with soft purples. Really good work!

Judy: I really like your crop. It concentrates the focus on the heart of of the flower. Love your colours, too. :thumbsup:

Michelle: Wonderful work. I love the reds and the bright greens. Interesting surface to work on. Love it! :)

Oldhobbyist: Love the painterly-ness. I like how you managed your whites.

Karend: Love both the hibiscus and the tulip. Looking forward to see your third piece. :)

Maureen: what a lovely splash of colours. Really like how flashy your painting is. :cat:

Pip: Another great zoom! Love the reds and oranges.

Mellybean: absolutely beautiful painting. What's a floral challenge without some poppies? :)

Bob: I like how the rose pops against the dark green background. Great work on the flower's shades.

I'm still empty handed; only started working on my entry today. Hopefully it will be finished before the end of the month! :smug:

Gingerstx
04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
I’m so impressed with the all the talent I’ve seen posted here as well as the variety of painting styles and approaches to the challenge!
Cindy: Your blue flower is soft and lovely. I’m impressed at how your blue petals stand out against their blue background! That yellow center is really striking!
Cliff: Your choice of colors is dramatic and really works. You’ve given a droopy flower new life!
JT: Great contrast and detail! Your pinks are soft and lovely!
Msoshu: What a great close up and detail! I love the deep colors.
Colin: Your camellia is delicate and sweet!
Amdoah: Your pansy colors are right on!
Violetta: Your use of color creates a striking flower!
Michelle: Great piece of work! The details and colors in the peony really make it stand out!
Jim: I love your use of color! Now I want to paint a magnolia, too! Your choice of background gave me a laugh: it really accentuates the genourmosity of your blossom!
Karen: Both of your florals are beautiful! Your dark background really accentuates the hibiscus petals. Your tulip colors are soft and blended beautifully.
Maureen: Your dahlia is bright and happy! The vivid colors really work well!
Pips: Great color use and blending in your tulip!
Mellybean: Your reds really pop against that background!
Bob: Good composition and great contrast between background and subject. Your yellow rose is gorgeous!

cem
04-22-2015, 10:45 AM
Pips...Up close and personal. Great, hot colors.
Mellybean...Love the contrast. Great form too.
Bob...Lovely yellow rose. Mine are in bloom now. Love to look at them. The bushes must have at least 30 buds each, I have 2 bushes.

Violetta
04-22-2015, 10:56 AM
Thank you for all the kind words on my painting. I really appreciate them. I discovered that I have difficulty getting my darks dark enough so for this painting I decided to exaggerate the darks and lights. Lo and behold, it worked! Now to keep it up.

BTW the secret to my blending is Golden Satin Glazing Liquid. It really helps. I mix it in my paint rather than water and it makes blending much easier.

We have a real bevy of beautiful entries. Congratulations to all who entered.

Cindy, I love your delicate treatment of the daisy macro. Lovely.
Cliff, very interesting treatment of the daff, one of my favorite flowers this time of the year.
Jean, your subtle pinks are lovely and those tiny blossoms really add to the impact.
msoshu, I admire the detail you achieved. I don't think the dark photo does it justice.
Colin your camellia is lovely. Such a delightful color and the petals almost look damp.
Ginger, I like the colors you used in your tulip and the different perspective.
amdaoh, beautiful use of complimentary colors.
Michelle, your peony is gorgeous and what a stunning look on the plaque.
Jim, your magnolia is commanding and filled with subtle colors. Nice.
Karen, I love your hibiscus. Great colors. And the tulip has such subtle, delicate beauty.
Maureen, stunning is the best word for your dahlia. Love the colors and the movement.
Pips, your up close and personal tulip is lovely. I can almost feel the pollen in the air.
Melly, your poppies are almost translucent and you achieved great texture on the petals. Any one of them could almost be a macro on its own.
Bob, beautiful rose. Great color and form.

Thank you Michelle for a terrific challenge! I really enjoyed it.

I hope I haven't left anyone out. If I have, someone tell me so I can correct it.

msoshu
04-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Some new ones I see...

Pips: Very vivid and beautiful.
Mellybean: Love the tulips, the background too.
Bob: Beautiful rose and the blues in the background make it stand out nicely.

Pips
04-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the nice comments on my effort folks

melly – good texture on those petals, really captures the papery nature of them

Bob – lovely rose and it really pops on that background

Charlie's Mum
04-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Melissa - lovely bright red poppies, simplified, making a very nice pattern across the canvas - nice b/g too.

Bob - glad you joined us, maybe you will next month also?
Very nice rose of Texas - and now I keep singing the song! :lol:

Mrs B
04-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Wow, what fantastic entries this month!! Still working on mine as baby is a bit restless due to teething but I've finished all the underpainting and background, so cant put off the flower any longer!!!

ColinS
04-22-2015, 08:20 PM
A few new ones:

Pips - Colourful and beautiful. Very "macro". You have shown a bug's eye view! :)

Melissa - Wonderful poppies! I also like the background as well.

Bob - Beautiful rose of Texas and the dark background really provides a dramatic setting.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for your comments on mine, and for the tip about the glazing liquid, Judy.

Thanks for hosting Michelle. :clap: :clap:

DizzyD
04-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Wow there are a lot of beautiful paintings in this months challenge,, unfortunately i had too many things crop up to be able to contribute this month,, been trying to set up a spare room as a place to paint, and built a studio easel and work table for it, so i'm prepared for future months.. I'm having Knee replacement surgery on May 8th though:eek: so not sure about May either.. unfortunately the Studio is upstairs... once again congratulations to all who took part,, the paintings are really nice :clap:

msoshu
04-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Violetta: So sorry I missed yours. Wonderful work, nice blending. Thanks for the tip about the glazing medium. (Not available in my local brand, only have acrylic gel medium which I used for glazing in my painting. If and when I upgrade, I will surely keep the tip in mind)

LavenderFrost
04-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Oh Jim, you gave me a laugh with that one! That's definitely a macro flower.

Karen, nice work on those two. Looking forward to seeing the third.

I see Maureen couldn't wait, lol. That is bright and bold!

LOL Pips, you're funny. I have always believed that artists are all masochists. You did a great job though, I don't see any struggle there.

Mellybean, that is lovely. And it's close enough. :p

Pam, there is still time.

Bob, that is beautiful. Love that golden colour.

Dizzy, I hope you will recover quickly from your surgery so you will be able to enjoy your studio.

old_hobbyist
04-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Wow! Lotsa variations on close-up posies. Amazing details.
Had no idea that you could get so close and personal with them flower things (without getting intimate with them critters what make their homes in them).
Sure wish I could paint them like you folks.
Well, maybe next month's challenge will be more to my liking!

LavenderFrost
04-24-2015, 11:26 AM
It depends on how much of a masochist you are Jim. lol I'm already wondering what you have planned.

talisman
04-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Wonderful works here this month. Everyone's works are so great. Great colors and super flowers well done!

Karendart84
04-25-2015, 01:24 AM
Still have not had the time to comment on everyone individually. I love them all.
This is the dahlia. Had a lot of fun with this.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2015/1579710-macro_dahlia.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-25-2015, 08:01 AM
Ah Karen, that's a beauty!

Michelle - I'm late in re-posting mine in the Plant Parade as we've been away - I'd have really late for DS if I'd waited until today!:lol:

Violetta
04-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Karen....The first word to come to mind is WOW! That is stunning! And well worth waiting for.

Pips
04-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Wow Karen, that's a beauty - I don't know how you even began to sort that out but however you did - it's a great success

LavenderFrost
04-25-2015, 11:20 AM
Karen, another beauty!

The video is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrlAvzD-s48

ColinS
04-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Karen, another beauty!

The video is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrlAvzD-s48
Looks good Michelle. I am heading out the door for a weekend getaway so can't watch the whole thing now, but will have a look when I get back home again.

Gorgeous flower Karen. Stunning!

PattiLou
04-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Cindy Oh yes you are a floral painter, looks good to me.

Cliff Nice daffodil with the sun catching the edges. Why did you leave your thumb out? :evil: :lol:

JT Don't you just love the delicate pink dogwood blossoms? Good job!

Msoshu Wow what a beautiful color and well done. Lots of detail there.

Nice oneColin Your wife should take more photos for you to paint.

Ginger Pretty tulip, I think you did a good job.

Pansies are one of my favorite flowers Amanda. Especially the purple and yellow which you captured so well.

Judy I love the format and your blending is fantastic.

Michelle A very lovely peony... such detail. I really enjoyed the video too.

Jim You certainly did make the magnolia look "ginormous" ... and beautiful.

Wow Karen you were very productive with these beauties. I commented on the Dahlia in the Plant Parade. Really lovely color.

Hi Maureen, I commented in the Plant Parade and I still admire your work with Acrylic Inks.

PipsI like that crop "deep down in the belly" of the tulip.

Mellythe first thing that came to mind was "paper thin poppies". Lovely painting.

BobYour Yellow Rose of Texas is looking very good.

Everyone did a fantastic job.

PattiLou
04-25-2015, 08:12 PM
And now for mine... also posted in the Plant Parade. Binned the first one, did an OK, not great job on this one but at least I was in the studio painting.

7 x 7 - inches on canvas covered mat board. Just can't get on with plain mat board. :lol: A nice plain Dahlia but I discovered it was very Christmas looking after finishing it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2015/125378-Dahlia-s_pbh.jpg

TamiP
04-25-2015, 10:30 PM
CEM, I love your creation. It is so light and airy, and fresh feeling. The blue tones are soothing and the splash of yellow at the center is the perfect counter point.
Cliff- If a flower could look hauntingly beautiful, yours captures that feeling for me. It’s stunning.
JTMathis-Very pretty, springy feeling.
Msoshu-Wow, that is awesome.
Colin, for all your complaining, you did a beautiful floral painting. It’s vibrant and just feels good to look at.
Gingerstx- Beautiful work.
Amdaoh, very nice. I have the same problem with over-impulsive starts.
Violetta – Beautiful work.
Michelle – Great detail. Very pretty. Love the setting too.
Old Hobbyist – Beautiful, very O’Keefe feeling.
Karen, both are lovely. I like the red one most.
Maureen – wow, vibrant, bold and still fragile and beautiful.
Pips – Looks like flames and still very recognizeable flower. I had the same love/hate relationship with canvas paper until I got used to it. Nothing beats stretched canvas, but the paper isn’t bad after a while.
Melly – Really like that.
Bob – Great work.
Karen – Very pretty.
Patti – Really like the strong colors and lovely detail.

Pips
04-26-2015, 03:28 AM
Great rendition Patti. Love the contrast of the smoothly blended petals with the ' ring of fire' in the centre.

Charlie's Mum
04-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Patti - that's gorgeous! Fiery, bold, beautifully blended ....... and scarlet dahlia's don't bloom at Christmas (here in the north!!!!:lol:), so def. not Christmassy!:)
It's really good news to have you picking up the brush again.:thumbsup:

ColinS
04-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Patti - that's a real treat. The red colour is so rich and the structure f the petals and leaves is very well achieved.

LavenderFrost
04-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Patti, that is more than OK lol. It's beautiful! I do think more of summer than Christmas, in spite of the colours.

Charlie's Mum
04-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Michelle, enjoyed the video!:)

windspirit50
04-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Finally finished mine! It wasn't that hard, just time goes by so fast! 8X10 Canvas board.....I have decided I don't care to work acrylics on canvas board. Or I'm doing something wrong. I couldn't get my paints thin enough to work well and I didn't want to add any water than necessary. Did use Acrylic Glazing Liquid which helped some.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/205340-Macro_Orchid.jpg

Pam

anotherelizabeth
04-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Cindy - I love the bright yellow against the blues.

Cliff - I like the sunlight highlights.

Jean - Gorgeous dogwood flowers. One of my favorite spring trees.

msoshu - Wow, I think that looks great!

Colin - Magnolias are one of my other favorite spring trees. Camelias are nice too...

Ginger - Lovely colors

amdaoh - That's a really interesting view of the flower, I like it.

Violetta - Nice - bright, happy orange. I'm studying your petals for ideas on how to improve mine.

Michelle - Your peony is beautiful! So detailed.

old hobbyist - Ha! I like it.

Karen - both the hibiscus and tulip have nice details in the centers.

Maureen - I commented in the plant parade, but I still love your colors.

Pips - Great tulip!

Mellybean - Those red petals really pop out against the background.

Bob - Lovely rose

Pam - That's gorgeous. I love the colors and the details in the center section.

I did mine twice, once on paper for practice, once on card stock for a Mother's Day card. Plus then I don't feel like I'm cheating, posting the same thing to two forums (acrylics and florals). Both about 5x6.5".

You can see why I'm glad I did the practice version! I didn't have enough contrast between adjacent petals so I added some lines, and I didn't like the gray.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/1893286-Dahlia_practice.jpg

And the final version - still not happy with the shadow color, but I don't want to change it and make it worse. I want to practice with a simpler flower.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/1893286-Dahlia_card2.jpg

LavenderFrost
04-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Time really does fly Pam! Glad you got something done, it's lovely! I never used to like canvas because I didn't like the texture, but these days I like the look of it.

anotherelizabeth, you did give yourself a challenge with such an interesting flower and all that white. It's very nice!

Mrs B
04-27-2015, 04:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2015/1962755-WP_20150425_10_11_01_Pro.jpg Hey folks, I'm really loving all the gorgeous entries this month! Just finished and have to dash as I'm trying to sort out baby's first birthday party!!
Mine is a daffodil on a5 canvas board. Really struggled with this one but am relieved it's done!! Looks cheerful on the wall at least!! :lol:

Karendart84
04-28-2015, 10:47 AM
I finally have some time for the computer. I hope I don't miss anyone.

Cindy - Your daisy has a soft delicate look. Beautifully formed petals.
Cliff- very interesting. Great contrast with the lights and darks.
Jean- Your dogwood dances
Msoshu- very dramatic. Great detail. I really like this
Colin- your magnolia has great light and a lot of delicate petals
Ginger- bright and cheery tulip
Amdaoh - Nice job on this pansy very cheery
Judy- Very bright and cheery. I really like the crop. Great colors.
Michele - Great idea to paint on a plaque. Very nice peony
Jim - I love this. Agree with Cindy..."Feed me" came to mind. Great piece.
Maureen - vibrant dahlia. Nice form on petals and center. Beautiful colors
Pips - love the crop on the tulip. Great colors
Mellybean - nice light and great texture on the poppies
Bob - beautiful yellow rose. The rose just pops.
Patti - Beautiful red petals and your center pops. nice job.
Pam - great tiger lilly
Elizabeth - great job on a difficult reference.
Gemma - Beautiful delicate daffodil.
I hope I didn't miss anyone. I love looking at the great macros in this challenge.
Thank you everyone who commented on my macros. Had a great time with these. Thank you Michele for posting a great challenge.

LavenderFrost
04-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Gemma, that is lovely. Now enjoy that birthday party!

cem
04-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Patti...Very pretty. Love the details in the center.
Pam...I see no problem with that. Its quite lovely.
anotherelizabeth...You chose a difficult bloom in my opinion. But you did well with it. Practice, I know I need to.
Gemma...Beautifully painted!

If I missed anyone, forgive me. All entries are sooo lovely.

susme48
04-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Michelle...hope it's ok to sneak in so late...:) Been kind of "hiding", plus been buried with work for my son.

Cindy...really nice!!

Cliff...nicely done!

JT...nice!!

msoshu...great detail work!

Colin...how lovely!!

Ginger...nice work!

Amdaoh...love the colors!!

Judy...I love it!!

Michelle...yours is gorgeous!!

Jim...beautiful work!

Karen...wow, 3!! The first two are good!! and love the third!!

Maureen...lovely!! You are so good at florals!

Pips...nice work!!

Melly...really like this!!

Bob...gorgeous rose!

Patti...lovely!!!

Pam...wow!! Really good!!

Elizabeth...nice!! Whites are really hard!

Gemma...love it!

Had a hard time getting a good photo...here's the best I could do for tonight. It's from a photo of bougainvillea in Paint My Photo,,,a flower I have never seen, but want to!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2015/51170-bougainvillea1a.jpg
11x11 canvasboard

msoshu
04-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Wow, wonderful colours, everyone.

Karen - nice flower, like the other two. Love the petal whorls
Patti - gorgeous, love the centre
Pam - nice flower, nice and bright colours, love the speckled petal
anotherelizabeth - must have been difficult working with white, you did a nice job.
Gemma - really like it, vibrant colour used so well, and the petals look as thin as they are.
susme - beautiful, you've caught the light really well

Hope I have not missed any painting!

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2015, 10:56 AM
Pam - lovely bright, spring colours for this lily.

Elizabeth - glad you joined us! I can see your change of thought from the practice to the final - well done - and really good to paint the same flower twice!:)

Gemma - beautiful daff! Your colour is really good, so is the trumpet form.:)

Susan - really rich and beautiful! I love these plants, can't grow them here, but in Spain and the Med, they look gorgeous with their papery flowers. Nice job you've done!

Hope I haven't missed anyone - my visits have been a bit sporadic!:)

LavenderFrost
04-29-2015, 11:14 AM
Glad you made it Susan! That's really pretty. Though of course I just put together our group picture yesterday, lol. I hope you don't mind me just adding it on the side.

Here's our flower garden.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2015/104871-DSApril2015group.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2015/104871-susme48_2.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Thanks for doing the Gallery Michelle - wow! a lot of entries this month! ... think you captured the collective imagination :D

Thanks again for hosting for us.:)

PattiLou
04-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Pam... love the orchid and I know what you mean about time slipping by.

Elizabeth... you did a fine job on a difficult blossom.

MrsB... I thought the sunshine had invaded my computer. Really nice!

Hi Susan... nice to see you back and taking the challenge. Bougainvillea grow here and put on a spectacular show when they are blooming. Unfortunately my daughters get frost bitten every year but then they grow back. I would like to have one but no place to put it.

The gallery looks so nice. Thanks Michelle. I'm ready for May.:lol:

susme48
04-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Msoshu, Maureen, Michele, and Patti!

Michelle...not a problem, I know I was late. :)

Violetta
04-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Michelle, thanks for a delightful challenge and a lovely flower garden.

Susan, it's great top see you back among us I really like the velvety look of your entry. Take good care of yourself during this difficult time.

LavenderFrost
04-30-2015, 12:04 PM
A big thank you to all who took part. I am really pleased with the number of participants and the beautiful work you all did.

Imogene Thomas
04-30-2015, 05:25 PM
What a beautiful gallery of flower paintings, Michelle. Thank you.

Imogene Thomas
04-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Karen, Lovely and vibrant colors in your painting.

ColinS
05-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Pam, AnotherElizabeth, Gemma and Susan: great stuff!

Michelle - good looking gallery. Thanks again for hosting.

asmith38
05-01-2015, 08:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2015/26997-IMG_0009.JPG

Yes, I know, I am late and I have been MIA. But I did not forget my friends from Wetcanvas. Here's my entry for April, which is a bad photo from a while back.

I love all the entries! You all are so talented!!!

LavenderFrost
05-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Better late than never Ann. That's a very interesting flower.

cem
05-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Great gallery!
Susan, glad you snuck that in for us all to enjoy. Love bougainvillea. It was prevalent in So. Cal where I grew up. Wish I could grow it here. Glad you are back with us.
I apologize if I missed anyone.