PDA

View Full Version : Quick dry cafe April 2015

idylbrush
04-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Due to wear and tear, the quick dry cafe, will be shut down temporarily for cleaning and redecorating. QDC will reopen in 18 months. Thank you for your patience during reconstruction.

:angel: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

Happy April Fools Day! LOL

chammi kaiser
04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Nice one Howard. You naughty fellow!!!! Our neighbours caught Pete out beautifully this morning. We had an awful storm last night. Pete is the chairman of the Owners' Assoc. of our building. They called him downstairs to say the entire glass entrance had caved in. He rushed down - bah April Fool's joke.

The storm has caused havoc in our little town. Trees have been uprooted and there has been other damage everywhere. Several people have been killed. The poor old fire department have been on the go for hours.

cem
04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
:):) Howard.

Chammi, so glad you and yours were not injured during the storm. Sorry to hear of all deaths and damage in your area. Mother Nature can sure be mean when she wants to!

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Nice one Howard!!!!:)

Chammi - awful about the storm and the deaths from it - it hasn't been so bad here, but bad enough! Winds supposed to be easing but not showing much of it ....... trouble with living on top of a hill is that it's always getting full blast for any wind around!
Glad the glass was a joke!:lol:

Pips
04-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Nice to start the month with a smile - good April Fool Howard.

The force of Nature can be as scary as it can be beautiful. Chammi that sounds a rough night but glad you're ok - we seem to be missing the worst of the winds this time around but have had more snow today than at any time during the wet and windy winter and it's the 1st of April! It's not hanging about on the ground for long but the cold blast is doing nothing for all the spring flowers that were venturing out. :(

Raymo
04-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Ohhh a Scottish lass, I'll have to break out me kilt.

Pips
04-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Sorry Raymo, I'm English born and bred - moved up here 15 years ago to escape the city and enjoy life at a slower pace.

But by all means bring on the kilt! :wink2:

Charlie's Mum
04-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Oh Pips, don't encourage him with a kilt - we have enough problems with his faux leopard-skin leotard!:lol: ......... especially in the late Spring when he rides the motor mower on the lawn!!!!!!!!!!!:D

oramasha
04-01-2015, 03:39 PM
He got me. I was like, "This is the first time I'm visiting and the forum guide is leaving?"

Yep, I came to the right place. :D Hi all! Happy Fools day!

idylbrush
04-02-2015, 08:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2015/36241-succulent.jpeg

Picked up cages for the tomato plants. Opened the trunk when I got home and found this little fella there. It must have jumped in while I wasn't looking. LOL!

I have tomatoes about the size of a tennis ball right now. Should ripen in the not to distant future. Yippee! Tomato sandwiches.

Charlie's Mum
04-02-2015, 05:12 PM
How surprising that the little succulent grew legs seeing your vehicle!!!!!!!!

Those toms are growing rapidly!:eek:

cliff.kachinske
04-03-2015, 07:55 AM
In my garden, tennis ball size tomatoes are a signal for the tomato worms to show up and the tobacco mosaic virus to attack.

The gardening gene in my family was passed from my grandmother through my father and then on to ... my sister. If we had to depend on the food I could grow we would soon starve to death.

bluefish
04-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Maureen...what are 'the fens' ?

'blue....:wave:

Raymo
04-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Why you little punk...:mad: ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2015/142029-image.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Maureen...what are 'the fens' ?

The Fens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fens) are in Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and Norfolk - the part of England that bulges out into the North Sea and just north of the Wash - the big bay there..:)
Very flat with water-ways ...... originally drained a few hundred years ago for arable farming ...... very rich, very flat, very popular for tourists taking boats on the Norfolk Broads.
Pics (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+fens&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=R_oeVZm6EKXn7gbNzIDgDQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1368&bih=709) to give you an idea!

Raymo - I see Merwyn is in to trouble again:rolleyes:

bluefish
04-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Maureen....the 'fens' certainly are very attractive and an artist delight!....thank you for the geography lesson...I had never heard of them, now I'm an expert,thanks to you....;) have a nice holiday with DH....I hope he is feeling better.....

chammi kaiser
04-04-2015, 03:05 AM
Oh dear. Poor old Merwyn. Bet you taught him that trick, Raymo. Two naughty boys together!!!!

Fox_eNova
04-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Happy Easter !!!

Charlie's Mum
04-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Happy Easter tomorrow everyone:)

ColinS
04-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Happy Easter to Everyone

Here are a few photos we took in the Butchart Gardens on Palm Sunday to cheer your Easter:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8076.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8064.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8074.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8067.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8065.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8063.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/1183569-DSCN8089.jpg

windspirit50
04-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Gorgeous pictures of the Garden! I've been there only once.
I'm so jealous about the tomatoes!! I won't even buy any plants until beginning of May.
Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Lady Carol
04-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Same here Pam. It is about 6 weeks before I am brave enough to fork out dosh for plants without the fear of frost.

idylbrush
04-04-2015, 03:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Just a little booboo.

Charlie's Mum
04-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Hope you're being a good patient Howard!:)

Colin - magnificent pics - certainly do cheer up a dull day here - and our plants are not nearly this advanced:D

Happy Easter Day to all:)

PattiLou
04-04-2015, 08:16 PM
I see you are picking on the nurses again Howard!:lol: Hope you heal fast and your physical therapy is short and effective.

I went out to the studio yesterday and began a little cleaning, organizing and adding some paint to a canvas that has been on my easel for months. I looked out the door and noticed a pile of dirt on the concrete that was not there when I went through the door earlier with dirt flying everywhere. Called Buttons name and she came to the door with a big sheepish look on her very dirty face and paws. She had been digging in the dirt under the shed (she can't get under it, there is just a small space). Sometimes cats or other animals hide under the shed and I think she was trying to get to something. Spent the rest of the morning giving her a bath. Today she received a hair cut to go with the bath. Painting was put on hold again but I did think about it and had good intentions.:D I think Raymo's kitty has been sending bad ideas to my puppy dog. :lol:

Fantastic pictures Colin.

PattiLou
04-05-2015, 09:51 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2015/125378-HappyEaster.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-05-2015, 12:12 PM
An absolutely glorious day here - temps in the upper teens - so welcome after the freezing ones of earlier in the week/last week.
Cut the lawn - BIG job for first cut - heavy work, phew! ....... then, after lunch, a little bit of weeding - more tomorrow :crossfingers: ....... but have so enjoyed being outside!:)

Patti - Button's escapade reminded me of Charlie and his digging!:lol:

Rick G
04-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Maureen, it sounds like you need Raymo for more than just shed building. Have him bring along his riding mower and Speedo, too. ;)

AprilJoy
04-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Happy Easter, Everyone!
Gorgeous pictures ,Colin.
Howard- ouch! Heal quickly!

bluefish
04-06-2015, 07:16 AM
Howard....we are all curious.....what happened?.......see you are back on line, so happy you are a little better...take care.....

'blue:wave:

chammi kaiser
04-06-2015, 07:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2015/39224-191_Easter_2015.jpg

Here is my Easter sketch for this year. A belated happy Easter all.

Fabulous photos Colin.

Look after yourself Howard. Heal quickly and take it easy.

Horrors!! It is snowing lightly here. We have had a very dull, some hail, sleet and snow over Easter and it is very cold. Taking the opportunity to do some housekeeping on my computer files.

idylbrush
04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Chammi, delightful, charming card with a touch of humor, FUN!

Blue, It is for a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome. They operated on the wrist and ulna. All five digits were involved. A nasty bit of business I assure you. Now, it doesn't wake me at night. It appears they did a good job. Most of the hardware comes off tomorrow. Stitches come out at a future date.

bluefish
04-06-2015, 09:16 AM
WOW Howard....all that time on the computer, got you the 'computer virus'(CTS)...:lol: ....so glad the operation went well and you are sleeping without pain....well wishes to you...:clap:

Pips
04-06-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm envious of all of you who are beginning to see signs of Spring - it's been a long, wet, windy winter up here and we now need a few dry bright days (but still with the wind albeit a bit gentler) to start drying the ground up. I went into the garden to cut back some willows etc and sank into the turf as I stood there 'cos it's a veritable bogland:( The daffodils are flowering but no sooner bloom than they are flattened by the wind so we are having to cut them and bring them in to enjoy them rather than leave them to rot

Heard some brilliant news today though - we have Sea Eagles nesting in Orkney for the first time in over 140 years - hoping to get a view of them sometime :crossfingers:

Howard - glad you are recovering well, take care
Chammi - lovely card, enjoyed that

Charlie's Mum
04-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Maureen, it sounds like you need Raymo for more than just shed building. Have him bring along his riding mower and Speedo, too. ;)

Now why didn't I think of that eh?:lol: :lol:

Glad things are all heading in the right direction Howard.:thumbsup:

Hello everyone:D:wave:

Chammi - love the card!:)

Pips - it's HOT here (well, 18C) - and yesterday Scotland was supposed to be hot too - 20C ...... what happened between there and Orkney huh?

Been busy again - swept the patio and fixed the storm damage to the greenhouse ...... I found the missing bits under the hedge and had to cut away brambles and holly to get to them - wellies and tough gloves job that!

RAYMO!! - could have used your help ;) ........ Rick suggested it:lol:
Oh, also washed the kitchen floor and did other housework this morning - must be the warmer weather waking me up!:lol:

Pips
04-06-2015, 12:39 PM
It sounds as though you've been busy Maureen. - Whatever the weathermen say for Scotland rarely (if ever) relates to what we get in the islands. We're huddled under low damp grey stuff apparently known as cloud with a permanently chilly breeze blowing. The thermometer in the garden has only just got into double figures, it's 11 today and feels less than that in the wind. It can be frustrating at this time of year because once the clocks go forward the days get longer very quickly - I just have to remind myself that everything does catch up once the temperature starts to rise.

Lady Carol
04-06-2015, 12:49 PM
RAYMO!! - could have used your help ;) ........ Rick suggested it:lol:
I can just see a bloke riding a lawn mower sporting a pair of budgie smugglers, terrorizing your small community.:eek: :eek:

idylbrush
04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Hoping the brace and bandages come off tomorrow.

Found a new to me Italian specialty foods deli. Think I may drop in there on the wat to the doctors. It really looks interesting.

idylbrush
04-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Just off the phone with Elaine, she sends her best to everyone and misses us all.

cliff.kachinske
04-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Just this moment our neighborhood hawk buzzed low by my window and settled in a neighbor's tree. My guess is some unlucky rodent has become brunch.

We had five deer waltz through the back yard yesterday. Checking out the freshly-sprouted hostas, no doubt.And wondering when the lazy man who lives here is going to install the salad bar in the garden.

"Budgie smugglers?" Seriously? Please don't explain. I strongly suspect I do not want to know.

Howard, sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel. Glad to hear the surgery seems to be working. Hope you get a full recovery.

mellybean
04-07-2015, 11:25 AM
We've been having a rough time actually having it feel like spring here (Northeast USA)....the snow is almost melted but now its raining constantly and everything is soggy. It's only 43F/6C right now and no buds on the trees or flowers to be seen yet :( I am so looking forward to sunny, warmer days with birds chirping and flowers blooming!

idylbrush
04-07-2015, 04:46 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Bandage change today. Still have stitches. Brace for wrist removed, YAY!

Rick G
04-07-2015, 06:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Bandage change today. Still have stitches. Brace for wrist removed, YAY!

Glad to hear you're improving, Howard, but why are they making you hang upside down? :lol:

PattiLou
04-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Glad to hear you're improving, Howard, but why are they making you hang upside down? :lol:
So that he won't complain when they send him to therapy???:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fox_eNova
04-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Aussie Doctor?

PattiLou
04-07-2015, 09:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Eric!

cliff.kachinske
04-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Aussie Doctor?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2015, 05:37 AM
I love the wit here!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chammi kaiser
04-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Hi all, it is a glorious sunny day here at last. I went for a nice walk and just enjoyed the fresh air. It is still a little chilly - only 7 degrees C . We are expecting around 22 degrees on Friday. Yippeeeee!

Maureen, don't overdo things with all that housework and fixing up the storm damage.

Pips, do hope things warm up for you soon.

Wonderful news regarding Elaine, Howard. I miss her a lot. You really look as if you have been through the wars. Glad you are getting better.

Cliff, how lovely to have all those creatures around you. I am envious.

Melly . hope things improve your way too. I know how you feel.

Rick and Patti. You have made my day.:lol: :lol: :lol:

ColinS
04-08-2015, 09:58 AM
You guys are hilarious. :D

Hope the healing continues, Howard. Will look forward to the pics of an upside down cake.

Great Easter Card Chammi. We had a quiet weekend here. Our visitors cleared out and my mum didn't feel well enough to travel so we had just the boys.

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2015, 11:49 AM
So you'll have your studio back Colin? :)

Been playing with my favourite toy this afternoon - the pressure washer!:lol:
Cleaned the big patio - still got other areas round the other side of the house to do, but had fun ......... well, I am a Scorpio, a water sign!!!:lol:

cliff.kachinske
04-08-2015, 01:44 PM
One day's accumulation of pine pollen on the neighbor's truck.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2015/1965263-pollentruck.jpg

This goes on for ten to fourteen days. Today there's a visible haze from it.

Charlie's Mum
04-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Wow! Breathe that and what happens?:eek:

PattiLou
04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Cliff that looks like pollen after a drizzle... you need a good hard rain to lay some of it down.

Wow! Beware of Maureen, she handles the power washer, they can be mean. :lol: Something we need to do (again) before the green stuff takes over the house. Seems like it hasn't been that long ago that we had it looking nice and white.

Howard, glad you were able to talk to Elaine, I miss her too.

idylbrush
04-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Cliff that looks like pollen after a drizzle... you need a good hard rain to lay some of it down.

Wow! Beware of Maureen, she handles the power washer, they can be mean. :lol: Something we need to do (again) before the green stuff takes over the house. Seems like it hasn't been that long ago that we had it looking nice and white.

Howard, glad you were able to talk to Elaine, I miss her too.

Yeah, but, that was last week. Things change. LOL

cliff.kachinske
04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Wow! Breathe that and what happens?:eek:

You develop a taste for grits and fried green tomatoes. Free Bird (Lynyrd Skynrd) becomes your favorite song. :clear:

They don't cause allergy or any other known problem. Grains are too big.

idylbrush
04-08-2015, 05:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2015/36241-strawberryrhubarb.jpeg

Strawberry Rhubarb jam. Made fresh this afternoon.

bluefish
04-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Maureen.....you use it for texture in your acrylic paintings....:D

do a landscape and the scattered texture 'pollen' looks real.....:lol:

we can send you a boatload.....good mulch for your weeds....;)

'blue...:wave:

PattiLou
04-08-2015, 07:50 PM
You can also travel incognito since it makes your car green when it's not. :D

Soon as we get out of the pollen season it will be love bugs swarming. I could trap some for you if you want?!?! :lol: Maybe you want to try a new pet. :evil:

Where did you get the rhubarb Howard? It is very hard to find around here.

idylbrush
04-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Publix, in the frozen foods section.

Next, I am thinking orange/cranberry marmalade.

cem
04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
OMG...Y'all are too funny!

No shortage of pollen here either! The wind blows it into drifts in the driveway:)

Howard that jam sounds yummy! My Mother made strawberry/rhubarb pies when I was a kid. MMMM Haven't seen rhubarb around here in many years.

Maureen...You just do it all, huh?! I miss the days when I could too.

Had the dead bushes removed yesterday. Now we need to find out what to treat the soil with before planting. The shrubs died from somethng white. Maybe scale of some sort. I saved a couple of twigs with it to take to the nursery for advice. Hoping we never have it again! I'm anxious to see what we can come up with for the plantings....water wise. Darn drought!

cliff.kachinske
04-09-2015, 04:10 PM
No shortage of pollen here either! The wind blows it into drifts in the driveway:)

That's nothing. Here the pollen gets so bad they close the schools ... oh, wait, I'm mixed up. It's a quarter inch of snow that causes school closings. :wink2: :wink2:

PattiLou
04-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks Howard, I shall have to go exploring in Publix.

Another beautiful day. Trimmed a "gone wild" Hibiscus this morning along with some other gardening. Starting to look better if you don't look at the green stuff appearing on the sides of buildings. :lol:

idylbrush
04-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Check the frozen fruit section.

The black and blue areas seem to be getting a bit better and the stitches are begining to feel a bit better. Have to keep those little buggers for another week.

ColinS
04-09-2015, 09:20 PM
So you'll have your studio back Colin? :)

Nah, the Oirish rellies is comin' in 4 weeks, so I am in the Underground for a while yet. Besides, #2 Son has taken a real liking to the room that was my studio - it is a better space for a student so I suspect this switch will be long term. But I don't mind the space to be honest. It has lots of bench room, water, decent light. It is just lacking a window. I'll survive. ;)

Been playing with my favourite toy this afternoon - the pressure washer!:lol:
Cleaned the big patio - still got other areas round the other side of the house to do, but had fun ......... well, I am a Scorpio, a water sign!!!:lol:

Well as a Leo I am a fire sign and love playing with FIRE. The new barbecue arrived today!! In time for the Oirish and the big family barbecue we are hosting in May! :clap: It's a Weber and looks like it could fly to Mars. :D

Today was a beautiful day, but I had to go into work. The weekend is looking wet, unfortunately. Wish we could send some rain to Texas or California.

idylbrush
04-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Colin, I am really thinking a shed is in order.

bluefish
04-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Maybe a 'greenhouse'.....lots of Northern light!.....:clap:

cliff.kachinske
04-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Maybe a 'greenhouse'.....lots of Northern light!.....:clap:

Too much attention from the, um, helpful neighbors. Not that any of my "helpful" neighbors are nosy or anything.

idylbrush
04-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Maybe a shed with a translucent roof. that would soften the light and keep others at bay.

Charlie's Mum
04-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Oh, a Garden Studio - painted a beautiful light colour - one-way glass even!
Heaven!:)

mellybean
04-10-2015, 01:16 PM
You can also travel incognito since it makes your car green when it's not. :D

The pollen's got nothin' on my car's paint color! :cool:

Morton
04-10-2015, 01:24 PM
What green car? There's just bushes and trees :clear:

bluefish
04-10-2015, 01:54 PM
love the color....so easy to spot in the parking lot, especially in a snow storm....:thumbsup:

and everyone will say...."here comes the Green Hornet"!....:lol:

cliff.kachinske
04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
love the color....so easy to spot in the parking lot, especially in a snow storm....:thumbsup:

and everyone will say...."here comes the Green Hornet"!....:lol:

A green Hornet would be better than a Yellow Yugo. Or a Puce Pacer.

Ref: just Google 10 worst cars ever. At least two of those will be on the list.

mellybean
04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
What green car? There's just bushes and trees :clear:
I am quite stealthy when the trees are actually green (not sad and bare like right now)....like a ninja :smug:

cliff.kachinske
04-10-2015, 02:47 PM
In my opinion, bare trees aren't sad any more than a sleeping puppy is sad.

I'll tell you what's sad: taxes are sad.

PattiLou
04-10-2015, 03:15 PM
I'll tell you what's sad: taxes are sad.
Filling out tax forms are we? We got it over and done with, had to pay anyway and it wasn't going away! :eek:

Melissa... At least your car is supposed to be green, I think. :lol: Could be an extra dose of pollen though.

Charlie's Mum
04-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Melissa's car is in disguise for Spring!!!:lol:

Patti - out tax returns must be in by end of January ........ the tax office still gets things wrong though, perhaps they blame it on post-Christmas blues or January Hang-overs!:lol:

Been shopping in Newcastle - phew it was warm ..... not used to 20C in April ...... back to normal tomorrow with around 11C :(

Raising a glass tonight to our d-i-l who got a new job today: had interview at 3pm and they rang her at 4.30 to say she'd landed it .... more money than the one she was paid-off from at Christmas. :thumbsup:

idylbrush
04-10-2015, 04:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Getting better each day. Moved to non-stick pads and elastic sleeve. still will be next week before the stitches are removed.

Have a display opportunity to get ready for. About 12 to 15 pieces needed.

cliff.kachinske
04-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Filling out tax forms are we? We got it over and done with, had to pay anyway and it wasn't going away! :eek:

Yep, no discount for early filing.

Using an online tax service, so it's not bad. The real grumpy makers are the estimated tax payments. Pay too much and give Uncle Sugar the free use of your money until next filing date. Pay too little and get hit with a penalty.

idylbrush
04-10-2015, 07:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2015/36241-chickenpotpie.jpeg

Made Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Pot Pie for dinner tonight. A childhood favorite.

Fox_eNova
04-10-2015, 08:38 PM
Taxes!!! I am a proud American, a naturalized citizen. But if I didn't go through the process, I could have had a tax free life for the past 54 years.. that should equal to a small truck load of money. Duh, what was I thinking?

ColinS
04-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Maybe a shed with a translucent roof. that would soften the light and keep others at bay.

:lol:

DW would still find me.

And it would have to be winterized in our climate. And I'd need electricity, plumbing, it would cost enough for another big holiday, and I'd rather have the holiday.

Our taxes are due end of April too. We just drop everything on the accountants. I used to spend an entire weekend tearing my hair out over them and it just got to be too annoying. I don't understand why the forms have to be so darn convoluted. "Just take it all, you b*$ds!"

What causes all that pollen? That's crazy.

Lady Carol
04-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Taxes!!! I am a proud American, a naturalized citizen. But if I didn't go through the process, I could have had a tax free life for the past 54 years.. that should equal to a small truck load of money. Duh, what was I thinking?
You were probably thinking citizenship is better than borderline poverty. That seems to be the fate of illegal aliens around here.

Morton
04-11-2015, 08:52 AM
I am quite stealthy when the trees are actually green (not sad and bare like right now)....like a ninja :smug:

Ah, that's us too, no loitering in the frozen section, we do ninja shopping, fast as lightning, very very frightening...

ColinS
04-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Ah, that's us too, no loitering in the frozen section, we do ninja shopping, fast as lightning, very very frightening...

That's my preferred approach too but can't persuade my spouse as she has been shopping at the store for so long that she knows the life history of all the employees and has to stop to chat. And then she invariably runs into a friend or acquaintance. And a "quick stop to pick up milk and chocolate" ends up being a major afternoon visit and three bags of things she suddenly remembered we were lacking.

cliff.kachinske
04-11-2015, 11:09 AM
What causes all that pollen? That's crazy.

Countless pine trees with thousands of branch tips each and each branch tip having 3 to five yellow blossoms each releasing millions of pollen particles.

I estimate the pines on my property grow 2 to 3 feet each year. On a recent walk I spotted at least a hundred tiny pine seedlings sprouted in the crack between the curb and the pavement.

It is crazy.

Shirl Parker
04-11-2015, 11:54 AM

That's my preferred approach too but can't persuade my spouse as she has been shopping at the store for so long that she knows the life history of all the employees and has to stop to chat. And then she invariably runs into a friend or acquaintance. And a "quick stop to pick up milk and chocolate" ends up being a major afternoon visit and three bags of things she suddenly remembered we were lacking.
Always bring a SketchBook or a novel to read in the car while you wait for her. That's what I do with my friend who takes forever to look at everything.

cem
04-11-2015, 01:10 PM
I hate shopping! I know, unlikely for a woman:) Only go when I must! DH won't go unless he knows exactly what he's going for and it will be a quick trip. He usually sends me to get items needed for a repair, etc. His description or word for some items are of his own making therefore those trying to help me locate them have no idea what he's talking about:) My genius husband:) He gets aggravated when I come home with the wrong thing and wonders why! That's okay, I love him anyway!

idylbrush
04-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Cindy, that is when you get out the smart phone, snap a shot and show it to the clerk so there is no confusion. I frequently do that for myself when it has to be exact.

Have a load of Viceroy butterflies this year. Must have just the right plants out there. The frangipani have buds already and the crepe myrtle are starting to show new shoots.

PattiLou
04-11-2015, 02:57 PM
I don't like shopping either, especially when I know what I want and have to visit several stores to find it... and just maybe have success. :lol:

Lady Carol
04-11-2015, 04:47 PM
I don't like shopping either, especially when I know what I want and have to visit several stores to find it... and just maybe have success. :lol:
Same here. I am on the hunt for a pair of jeans. I live in them; work, home, horsing. Wore a pair out recently. Sears closed near us and that is where I got the last pair that I really liked. Now I have to go to King of Prussia Mall :eek: :eek: I only go there if I cannot avoid it. I tried online for another of the same and it was less than helpful.

bluefish
04-11-2015, 05:38 PM
Carol.....that King of Prussia mall will have 10,000 pairs of jeans for you to try on!....that is some super mall....:thumbsup:

bluefish
04-11-2015, 08:45 PM
King of Prussia Mall, located on the Mainline, west of Philadelphia, is the second largest enclosed shopping mall in the USA...only the Mall of America in Minniapolis, is larger....

ColinS
04-11-2015, 09:23 PM
King of Prussia Mall, located on the Mainline, west of Philadelphia, is the second largest enclosed shopping mall in the USA...only the Mall of America in Minniapolis, is larger....

My aunt who lives outside Philly is such a frequent shopper at King of Prussia, I think they have named a wing of stores after her.

ColinS
04-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Always bring a SketchBook or a novel to read in the car while you wait for her. That's what I do with my friend who takes forever to look at everything.

:thumbsup:

The iPhone is a lifesaving device.

Nice lunch at our friends' place out past Sooke. Off to the opera tonight to see /hear/enjoy/endure Madame Butterfly.

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2015, 06:21 AM
Colin - wing of stores ... nearly fell off my chair when I read this - my mind had swapped the 's' and the 'w' (and lost the 't') ..... so sorry!:lol::lol:

I HATE shopping too - especially food and household shopping, especially with DH because I like to get around as quickly as possible and he likes to look at different foods ..... for town shopping for nicer things, he'll sit somewhere and wait while I go looking ...... doesn't take me long!

Howard - I'll remember the tip about the phone next time I'm looking for something hard/impossible to find!:)

Patti - how's Buttons?

Colin - Was the answer to Madame Butterfly 'Enjoyed!'?

It's raining, so my gardening today is off the agenda!:lol:

Lady Carol
04-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Carol.....that King of Prussia mall will have 10,000 pairs of jeans for you to try on!....that is some super mall....:thumbsup:
Yes, I know. But I cannot stand that mall and actively avoid it if I can. It is too big and they are building more stores. The last time I went to the mall to shop was, I am guessing a 12-18 months ago when I bought the jeans. I will go there to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner occasionally.

PattiLou
04-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Patti - how's Buttons?

Buttons is doing good so far today. I fixed her some ground beef and rice which she loved :lol: and she isn't vomiting. We cleaned so many spots up yesterday that we now need to shampoo the whole carpet. Oh well, it needs it anyway!

So, I guess since gardening is off the agenda you will have to find something else to do.... oh darn! :D I'm doing laundry right now, but almost finished.

Morton
04-12-2015, 09:28 AM
I'm pretending it is too windy to do weeding in the garden.

Pips
04-12-2015, 10:00 AM
:wave: Hi folks

Gardening off the agenda this weekend here too apart from a mad dash to rescue some plants that were getting blasted by enormous hail stones - I knew it was a mistake to bring them out of hibernation on Friday :(

I'm not a shopper either and one good thing about living on the islands is that most of my shopping is done online - our high street is fairly limited and I tend to restrict supermarket visits to once a month if I possibly can.

Charlie's Mum
04-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Patti - chicken and rice is good for pups with upset systems ..... Charlie couldn't tolerate red meat at all and we fed him on chicken and rice from quite young ..... he had colitis as a pup and the vet suggested no red meat at all (or its derivatives) ......... fingers crossed she continues to be OK.:)

No gardening, so did a huge pile of ironing instead!
Rain has stopped but wind's not nice. ....... Morton - it is too strong!!!!!

We've had a female pheasant walking and pecking around the garden for the past 4 hours ........ normally they visit for a short while, but this one has stayed .... hope she's OK!

Pips - wish I could limit s'market trips to once a month :( ..... have to go tomorrow, running out of DH's breakfast cereal!:lol:

idylbrush
04-12-2015, 01:24 PM
Tinker was given boiled chicken and rice. I would grind the chicken after it was cooked. No seasonings. Not even salt. She loved it.
Lost a friend this week. It is always difficult to lose someone you care about.

Just learned that a neighbor of 50+ years passed on Friday. She has been in a nursing home for a while now. Just 88 years old.

ColinS
04-12-2015, 02:32 PM
dColin - ... nearly fell off my chair when I read this - my mind had swapped the 's' and the 'w' (and lost the 't') ..... so sorry!:lol::lol:

:lol: I won't tell her. We called her "aunt Goody-Goody" when we where kids because as the "rich American" relations they always had candy and treats to give to us. That said they also had a set of large plastic buttocks that we found one day when we were snooping in basement cupboards. So maybe not such goody-goodies. :evil:

Colin - Was the answer to Madame Butterfly 'Enjoyed!'?

Yes, it was very very good, as opera go. :thumbsup: The lead singer, Jee Hye Han was a sub-in for the lead who was supposed to do the role but cancelled all engagements suddenly a couple of months before the production. The artistic director found Han singing in Vienna and brought her to Victoria for our Madame Butterfly and she did a beautiful job. Got a standing O from the audience last night (not that we are hard to please to be honest, we stand up for anyone who can carry the tune). The set was great too - a Japanese house with sliding shoji screens to create a sense of space and depth, and a full size cherry blossom tree overlooking "Nagasaki" harbour-- which of course could shed blossoms like tears as the story unfolded.

We haven't been to an opera for a few years, so I am glad this one was a success as the second last time we went the "scenery" for the second act consisted of a giant suspended uterus - (to "symbolize" the pregnancy of one of the characters). I thought it was the planet Jupiter at first ...:eek: didn't go back for a while...:rolleyes:

Patti - hope Buttons is ok...

PattiLou
04-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Buttons has been eating chicken for a long time but a couple days ago she just didn't want it. She won't go near kibble or canned dog food so I gave up on that long ago. :lol: I read about the boiled ground beef and rice on Pet Doctor and she likes it. Boiled ground beef sounds disgusting to me but I know the reason to fix it like that is to get rid of the fat. So far today she is doing better, so thanks for all the concern.

IRONING???? What's that. :evil: I avoid it like the plague. :lol: :lol: :lol: T-shirts are wonderful inventions... wash, dry and hang. :D

Glad you had a good time Colin.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Howard. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2015/125378-873122-friend.gif

Just put some ribs in the oven to throw on the BBQ later. Yummy! Lots of napkins to go around.

PattiLou
04-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Satisfied tummy full of "falling off the bone" BBQ ribs.

chammi kaiser
04-13-2015, 03:32 AM
Patti. I am glad that Buttons is a lot better. May she continue to heal.Yummy, those BBQ ribs sound delicious. No chance of an BBQ here. It is still so darned cold but at least the sun is shining.

Colin, the opera must have been great. I am a real opera fan and have a lot of CD's. Unfortunately Pete hates opera so I am always looking for someone share an evening at the opera house in Munich.
There is a lady in my square dancing club who also loves opera but is such a yacker (no stop - like machine gun fire) that I cannot see her being a very successful opera companion!!

I am also no fan of boring day to day shopping but love a day out fashion shopping - always end up buying something I really don't need!

Off to the studio to paint this month's challenge. It certainly is a challenge for me. I am no floral painter!!!

Charlie's Mum
04-13-2015, 11:19 AM
Howard, sorry to read about your friend, and your neighbour ..... yes, hard losing one's friends.:(

Patti - glad Buttons is doing better :thumbsup:

No chance of BBQ here either Chammi - maybe in high summer!:lol: .. actually, we gave our BBQ grill away to my sister - they'll make better use of it ... it's a real struggle even to get DH to eat out of doors these days - even in nice weather.
After a lovely morning, the sun's hiding again and it tried raining :( .... BUT... they're forecasting a heat wave :lol: .. we'll see!:D

I know many people no longer do ironing, and I've cut down immensely on mine, but I don't like creased bed linen (I know, it's going to get creased anyway! :rolleyes::lol:) and I like my day clothes to be uncreased too! :lol:

Managed to do the food shopping this morning in little over an hour, home to home again - couldn't believe the ease of finding parking space and quick through the checkout - store was quiet too ..... probably because kids were still sleeping late while school hols continue!:lol: - by now, the place will be packed!

Fox_eNova
04-13-2015, 03:12 PM
i do almost all my shopping on-line. Never a parking or infectious or obnoxious people problem. Sometimes even the clerks have an IQ above room temp. :lol:
Perfect 2aem day here today. Normally I would be planting my pepper sprouts, but NO pepper garden this year. They'll be missed! Just can't tend to even a small box garden anymore.

PattiLou
04-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Buttons seemed OK yesterday but had a relapse today. Thought it was time for a visit to see the Doc. She had blood work done, two shots and four different pills to take. Doc said the blood work looked good (no pancreatitis or other such things). He said it was probably a bacterial infection, so he gave her a penicillin shot and a shot to coat her stomach and settle things down. Then we get to follow them with pills. Oh joy! She does not like pills! I told her she was worse than a kid... after paying the $304.00 vet bill. :rolleyes: :lol:

In my next career I will be a veterinarian!

We are working up to a good storm, windy, dark, rumbling thunder and lightning. Just need to add rain.

Morton
04-14-2015, 05:54 AM
Yeah, Patti, I missed my vocation as a vet as well. Is Buttons a dog or cat. I used to get pills down my dogs by wrapping it in a cheese and ham parcel and the cats, well, it took two of us and there was use of a pencil to get the pill right at the back where it would go down the hatch. I wish you luck, anyway.

Morton
04-14-2015, 06:03 AM
... they're forecasting a heat wave :lol: .. we'll see!:D

I know many people no longer do ironing, and I've cut down immensely on mine, but I don't like creased bed linen (I know, it's going to get creased anyway! :rolleyes::lol:) and I like my day clothes to be uncreased too! :lol:

Hey if you get the heatwave before us please send it down to Cambridge as it's my job to hang the washing on the line to cut out a load of ironing. Not to mention using no electricity for it :D

idylbrush
04-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Tinker was a mess when it came to pills. I finally got a pill popper and found it made the job much easier for me, not for her. It may be something to consider.

You can generally find them at PetCo or Pet Smart.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2015/36241-thumbnail.asp.jpeg

A recent ironing trick I read about. Using a spray bottle, add a very small amount of fabric softener and fill with water. Spray garment and then shake vigorously. Hang and allow to dry. Not perfect but certainly better.

Charlie's Mum
04-14-2015, 08:08 AM
No heatwave up here:( .... temp is 13C but cold wind and cloud :(:(
We have always said we'd be Vets next time round - or solicitors/lawyers ..... they get to print their own cheques!:lol:

Mind you, since new regulations for electricians came into force about 10 years ago, they seem to be able to charge what they like too! Not allowed to do any electrical DIY these days (though I suspect some still do!:lol:)

Eric, sorry to hear you can't even have your little box-pepper-patch - health getting worse eh?

:crossfingers: for Buttons that she recovers well now - and you both from the shock to the wallet!!!!!:lol:
Try the tablet in something sticky she likes - like jam - and stick to her nose - she'll lick it off!:lol:

bluefish
04-14-2015, 09:15 AM
used to stick the pills in something they love, like 'dog yummies'....they swallow whole and the pill goes in, no problem....:thumbsup:

PattiLou
04-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Patti, I missed my vocation as a vet as well. Is Buttons a dog or cat. I used to get pills down my dogs by wrapping it in a cheese and ham parcel and the cats, well, it took two of us and there was use of a pencil to get the pill right at the back where it would go down the hatch. I wish you luck, anyway.
She is a little Bichon Frise and she thinks she owns the house, duh!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2015/125378-Buttons.jpg

The best way I found to give her pills is to wrap them in Velveeta cheese. The cheese is soft so it molds right around the pill and she loves, loves, loves cheese. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
04-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Love that photo of her!:)

Shirl Parker
04-14-2015, 11:06 AM
Cheese is good. So is peanut butter smooched around the outside of the pill. My dog loves it that way.

bluefish
04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Limburger cheese never worked very well....:D :D :D

cliff.kachinske
04-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Taxes done. I declare victory since I still have hair on my head and no one in the family has disowned me for being a grouch.

Hooray.

idylbrush
04-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Got my refund already. Happy camper.

Tinker would eat the cheese and spit the pill out. Clever little girl.

Lady Carol
04-14-2015, 07:03 PM
We are owed $19k. I am sure they will take a while to pay it.

I have Shark Tank tomorrow. Another presentation to try to get funding for my drug. Please pray for me. Most of the jury are into devices not drugs, so I think I have a snowballs......... you know what.

cliff.kachinske
04-15-2015, 02:00 PM
I still have to write :( estimated :( tax checks:( . So right at the moment I'm about as pleasant a companion as a badger with a tooth ache.

I'll get over it, but :evil:

idylbrush
04-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Made tuna macaroni cold salad today, summer must be near.

Had appointments today.

Not been sleeping well recently. Up and down a great deal.

bluefish
04-15-2015, 02:31 PM
D.C. says 'thank you'!....:lol: :lol: :lol:

idylbrush
04-15-2015, 08:13 PM
D. C. Thanks no one.

Beautiful day here, a bit warm. Picked up seeds for basil, cucumbers and rainbow chard.

Went to the farm market and picked up egg plant, zucchini, yellow squash so rattitouille can't be far off. Also got cucumbers and tomatoes for tuna macaroni cold salad. They also had handmade egg noodles that looked incredible. Amazing produce.

Wish my energy would come back. At this point it is non-existent. I do the daily stuff but not much more.

Morton
04-16-2015, 03:23 AM
Maureen. Solicitors/Lawyers yes or Estate Agents would be a good paying vocation. I'm selling a house and the buyer's solicitor has asked for a Building Regulation Certificate for an extension that was built in 1978, 30 years before we bought the house.

Patti, what a great photo, Buttons oozes character. My Sprolly had a look that said "My Mummy says when I grow up I'm going to be a proper little madam" My fingers crossed that she feels better quickly and your purse gets over the shock soon.

idylbrush. I know that no energy feeling so you have my good wishes.

chammi kaiser
04-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Patti. Buttons is just the cutest little thing. Love the photo. Wow, that was certainly a hefty vet's bill.

Carol - wishing you well with the Shark Tank and crossing fingers. Let us know how things went.

We have a Body Corporate Meeting tonight. We have two vicious old ducks in our building. They live together and are the ultimate nasties.
There is an issue with the our new garden fence which needs to be put back two metres on part of the property so that a dear lady can park her car in the garage properly. But the witches are against it and are voluble about it staying exactly where it was. Poor old Pete is chairman and has to put up with all this nonsense. Living in a building with six apartments is a pain. Grrrrrr.
demanding it

Lady Carol
04-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Shark Tank went well, I think. Well they said it went well. I will not know for 2 weeks if I got the money or not.

I am president of a community of 48 homes. Fortunately, the by laws are well spelled out. For us, moving a fence would not happen.

Raymo
04-16-2015, 12:55 PM
President of the trailer court....I could charm you up and be able to put my plastic flamingos where ever I wanted. Fence, heck no I would want everyone to be able to see me mow. :evil: :heart:

PattiLou
04-16-2015, 02:56 PM
We have a Homeowners Association here. Mostly everyone gets along great but there is always the exception with a couple of people who drive around looking for something to complain about. I think they need a hobby to keep them busy. :evil: :D :lol:

idylbrush
04-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Stitches come out today. YAY! Have been able to work around them but it will be good to have them gone.

Ordered a wireless/bluetooth headset for the voice recognition program. Looking forward to that. It is supposed to have a greater sensitivity.

Started washing the truck yesterday. It is huge. Got the right (passenger) side washed and rinsed. Doing the whole thing in sections. Then the car, that will be much easier as it is a much smaller vehicle.

The red geranium is doing very well. I need to get out in the front yard and do some fertilizing. The frangipani has buds on it now. Always a treat. I now have about 8 plants and it includes yellow, pink, rainbow and yellow and white. The red rose is covered in flowers. The giant pink lily in the yard is blooming. Always a treat. It has 7 stems of flowers this year. Need to go hunting for the blood lilies. May move those to another bed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/36241-Pinklily.jpeg

chammi kaiser
04-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Raymo. I am sure all the old ladies in our block would sweeten up a little if they saw you mowing our lawn. Nothing like a handsome gardener to liven things up a bit!! They might even accept your pink plastic flamingoes.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad the shark tank went well Carol. Crossing fingers that you get the money.

You must be relieved to be rid of those stitches Howard. Lovely lily. You do certainly have some treasures in that garden of yours.

idylbrush
04-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Today was overflowing with craziness. Went to get the stitches removed and appointment was cancelled. So I had to drive 50 miles to spend 5 minutes getting stitches removed and 50 miles back. Arrogant stupidity at its finest.

Crazy!

Very tired, long day. Longer than necessary.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Made tuna macaroni chilled salad two days ago. Delicious!

Fox_eNova
04-18-2015, 02:02 AM
Dutch kroketten for dinner today. I normally do all the cooking but cant anymore.so the wife has to do it. they were excelent! Brought back memories with one of my favorite fast foods. Should have taken some pics. If any one wants my recipe pls email me.

ColinS
04-18-2015, 10:16 AM
All this delicious food...mm. Chammi I hope Pete turned these old "ducks" into a duck confit.

Glad that you survived the shark tank Carol and that it went well.

Good to see you are mending, Howard.

I have been enjoying the new barbecue, although cleaning it is a chore. Grilled some fresh halibut filets for supper last night. It's halibut season on the coast and I love this time of year. Quiet weekend and the weather is supposed to be nice so I am hoping to get out and do some painting.

See you all later!

idylbrush
04-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Took a quick trip to Tampa, about 60 miles each way. Had to have a ring resized at Tiffany's, then the Apple Store, I ordered an apple watch. From there to the container store. Didn't spend near enough time there. Got trays for the studio, "dots", Squegee, plastic bag handle and some special wipes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Charlie's Mum
04-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Glad to see the hand has healed nicely Howard - but why are you standing on your head?:lol:

PattiLou
04-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Oh now you did it Colin. I want some Halibut but not going to pay the prices they for it. Actually have not even looked at the price lately because I don't want to be disappointed. :D

Howard you will be back in business in no time. Did you get the top of the line Apple Watch? :evil:

idylbrush
04-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Uh, let me think about that, NO! I got the sport model in graphite gray with a black band. Even went for the smaller size silhouette. Should arrive in June.

Made it to the container store today. Didn't spend much time there but managed a bit of shopping. Got a handle for plastic grocery bags, dots, squeegee, eye glass case, just little things.

Also made it to Tiffany's to have a ring resized. They had to add a full ring size to get it to fit. The ring should be back in 2 to 3 weeks.

idylbrush
04-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Made a roasted ratatouille today. First time I have tried it this way. I also added some cooked italian sausage. Should make for a delightful "stew". Loaded with vegetables.

PattiLou
04-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Hmm, loud, rumbling thunder!!!

idylbrush
04-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Looking like a thunder bumper may be heading east. Rain, glorious rain.

Blue iris is in bloom again, also a red geranium from last season is back in bloom. Seeing growth on the night blooming cactus. Need to weed the tomato bed, it is getting over-run and it has only been a few weeks.

Ratatouille for dinner.

Lady Carol
04-20-2015, 05:21 PM
President of the trailer court....I could charm you up and be able to put my plastic flamingos where ever I wanted. Fence, heck no I would want everyone to be able to see me mow. :evil: :heart:
Someone has to be Pres. of the trailer park

ColinS
04-20-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't see the prices on the halibut Patti as Nan does the shopping and she doesn't let me see the grocery bill. :eek: But I tell myself it's less than going to a restaurant. And what is the point of living by the sea if you don't eat fish once in a while?

I got out on Saturday morning to do some painting so I was very happy. I found a wonderful spot on a little hill in an oak meadow full of bluebells near Beacon Hill Park. A bit of heaven for an hour or two.

Glad the hand is healing, Howard.

Lady Carol
04-21-2015, 05:14 PM
One heck of a thunderstorm rolled through very early this morning and then again a couple of hours later.

mellybean
04-21-2015, 07:01 PM
One heck of a thunderstorm rolled through very early this morning and then again a couple of hours later.

Same here! Woke me up (at 2am) and scared the cat too!

PattiLou
04-21-2015, 09:02 PM
I don't see the prices on the halibut Patti as Nan does the shopping and she doesn't let me see the grocery bill. :eek:
Probably a good idea!:D

idylbrush
04-21-2015, 09:21 PM
I made Helen Corbitts poppy seed dressing. It is excellent for fruit, lasts a long time.

idylbrush
04-22-2015, 01:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2015/36241-mint-sedge.jpeg

Planted this up today. It is a wire sedge and chocolate mint. It really smells wonderful. Two of my favorite flavors/scents in one plant. Go figure!

cliff.kachinske
04-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Foxes! On. my. street.

A mere five houses away, a mama fox and three kits were enjoying the sun on a neighbor's driveway. The house is on a hill and the yard has a steep slope at the edge of the driveway, so maybe mama fox has made a nice den under the concrete.

She definitely had a "isn't it nice on my roof" look about her.

Also seen here: wild turkeys, a coyote, and of course the obligatory deer (as many as seven at one time).

All we need now is a bear or maybe an alligator.

Lady Carol
04-24-2015, 04:48 PM
That is very cool Cliff. We had foxes where I kept my horse and the mum would bring her kits out in spring to show them off. Not sure if there are foxes where I have my horse now. It would not surprise me as there are a lot of uncultivated fields.

Raymo
04-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Where you at Clifford ? You don't see a lot of foxes here in Paraguay. I have a girlfriend in Pennsylvania, she's kinda foxy...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2015/142029-image.jpg...but she bites !

Raymo
04-24-2015, 06:59 PM
She's a red fox. I also have a red fox in Germany.

Lady Carol
04-24-2015, 08:58 PM
I have a girlfriend in Pennsylvania, she's kinda foxy...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2015/142029-image.jpg...but she bites !
:heart: :heart: beware of that bite

idylbrush
04-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Almost finished with washing the truck. It looks great.

I wear out easily these days.

Today, I am working on replacing a light fixture over stove. Found a LED fixture I think is handsome and will work. Very simple with a cover over the LEDs.

cliff.kachinske
04-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Raymo, Marietta, Georgia.

Howard, LEDs seem to be the wave of the future.

Charlie's Mum
04-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Hi all - AWOL a couple of days - went to our Yorkshire place for a couple of days - lovely, warm weather until yesterday - rained overnight and when we came home in the morning we brought the rain too ... still, today the sun has now come out but it's very cold again.

Saw a delightful sight just starting our journey yesterday, on a narrow country road, the car in front of us slowed and stopped, then, in a couple of mins he pulled to the right to go round .... a charming family of parent geese and about 8 goslings, heading down the road to the gate into the field - it was lovely to see how the parents protected and 'herded' their little family to safety, undeterred by the cars! I think they were Pilgrim Geese - and they knew exactly where they were going.:)

And then I saw the most beautiful, delicate rainbow - pale/pastel colours in wide bands, low down to earth - normally they're brighter and higher. The bands of colour were looking 'textured' by the low thin and fluffy clouds - very pretty!

Today, not feeling so well so will just not do much!:lol: Hope everyone is OK and enjoying the weekend.:wave:

ColinS
04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi all - We are at a cabin (with wifi!) at Rathtrevor Beach up island for the weekend. We have been coming here for ever - since before the kids were born. They loved it here because of the massive beach.

Had my mum in last night to the cabin for a birthday dinner - she turns 85 on Wednedsay. Even the boys left the basement and came up. Nice roast beef dinner and we had chocolate birthday cake. Fun evening. She doesn't get out a lot these days.

We saw - and heard - a nesting bald eagle when we were walking near the beach yesterday. The eaglets were "chirking" away in the nest until the parent returned. What a racket!

idylbrush
04-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Worked a bit in the garden today. Finished up the truck. Got things in order for the next few days. Won't be on-line for a day or so.

Colin, sounds like a great getaway. Maureen, glad to hear you were able to get away to the caravan for a bit.

Cliff, light has to wait till I get back. It is going to be a bit more complicated than I first thought. Good looking unit.

Hand is healing beautifully.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2015/36241-image.jpg

Not sure why iPad seems to want me dangling, but there are worse things in life.

Charlie's Mum
04-27-2015, 05:54 AM
It is healing nicely Howard - but it must be tiring being on your head all the time!!!!!!!!;);):lol:

Lovely day - bitterly cold, frost overnight - not like last week at all, when people thought summer had come! :lol:

PattiLou
04-27-2015, 07:12 AM
Looking better Howard, but I agree with Maureen. :lol:

Frost??? It was 75 degrees at 5:30 am when we went walking and got caught in the rain. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2015/125378-16_6_3.gif I think it might be a wee bit warm later today. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2015/125378-28_1_9.gif

cem
04-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Good morning all! We've been getting plenty of rain here. The drought may be over....fingers crossed. Some of the lakes are full again. Bad part about Texas Spring is the chance for tornadoes is high. I heard about 3 West of here. I'm a big chicken when it comes to violent weather!

Nice to hear of all the critters out and about. For years we had raccoons and opossums frequent our yard. Haven't seen either in over a year now. It was fun to watch the interaction with the feral cats, touching noses and such. Of course the bird population has thinned as well.

More rain in the forecast today. Gotta go for groceries and Rx sometime today.

Howard, glad you are healing so nicely!
Maureen, so sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you are much better soon!

Shirl Parker
04-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Our forecast is for 90F today with 0% chance of rain, but the patio is already wet and it's so muggy you can hardly breathe. Yuck. I'm in agreement with Patti. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2015/125378-28_1_9.gif

idylbrush
04-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Sitting in a hotel lobby waiting for a room. Not my idea of a great day. I guess it is better than the option. Have to be at the hospital at 7 A.M. Today is only clear liquids and green Jell-O. YUM! (not)

Otherwise is a lovely overcast day with no threat of rain. Quite wonderful really.

cliff.kachinske
04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Today is only clear liquids and green Jell-O (not)

Good luck, hope everything is OK.

idylbrush
04-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Just a little bit of testing going on here. I should know the results in about two weeks. Then we go from there.

Bored to tears sitting in a hotel room watching television. So unlike me.

Hope everybody else is doing well. More later.

susme48
04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Somehow I feel like I should apologize for staying away so long...I have peeked in once or twice....but should have said hi. Dad's death seemed to hit me hard...tho' at least I buried myself in doing 5 commissions rather than totally just vegging.

Finished up one my son had commissioned....back in September he told me he wanted a painting that let people know he was a Christian...wanted a cross. The "twist" was that I was to pray about it, and then just paint whatever came out. Whew! I've had paintings that "took over" but never tried one that started out that way. I started it, but was never really quite happy. Now it's done!

Also did 4 more for his business...first I did the graphics for them, on the pc, and then painted them on canvas. Totally different than what I usually do! And harder than I thought it would be....:lol:

Interspersed with that, been dealing with the fact that they put mom in hospice now...sigh. And Mandi has another MRSA infection, this time from a mosquito bite, but on her jaw, with infection running down her neck and into her mouth. If not better by Thursday...back into the hospital she goes. Always something I guess.

Will try to catch up on everyone later! Hugs to all!!

cliff.kachinske
04-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Sue, sorry to hear about your parents.

Been there.

Hope Mandi gets better soon.

susme48
04-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Thanks, Cliff!!

Charlie's Mum
04-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Sue - welcome back cos you've been missed :grouphug: ..... and you know that saying "It never rains but it pours"? ...... that's how you're feeling right now. It takes time to come to terms with death, with your Mom's need for more care and then to have Mandi ill again ...... it's a lot to deal with all at the same time. Take time to spend on yourself.

Howard - hope all is going OK with those tests - travelling straight back or another night in the hotel?

My doc is referring me back to the cardiologist because my AF (atrial fibrillation) is coming more frequently this year ......... don't know the cause or the trigger(s), so he wants to try to find out.:(. Between episodes, I'm fine (thank goodness!) - so more disruption to Life with appointments for me as well as those for DH ......... ah well, these things are sent to try us, so they say!:)

Off to watch the last episode of 'Poldark' - if it ever comes your way, it's a nice bit of escapism (though the books are/were better I think!)
:wave:

idylbrush
04-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Sue, it seems as though you have been through so much this year. Hang in there. Hope things settle soon.

Back from the hospital. Still no idea of what is going on. Now will wait 2weeks to get results.

Just a bit worn out, so resting as I can.

cem
04-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Howard, I'm hoping you get good news about your tests!

Sue, I was thinking of you just yesterday. So sorry to hear of all the troubles. My thoughts are with you. Stay strong. Sending a little prayer for Mandi.

Maureen, I hope they figure out what is causing the AF and then have an easy fix! Heart troubles are no fun.

cem
04-28-2015, 04:33 PM
I thought I would post a pic of my back yard. It hasn't looked this good in a long while. I'm sure it won't last long with the summer heat coming on. Red knock-out roses flanked by purple Lorapetalum(spelling?) and yellow roses next to those (the rain beat most of the petals down but lots of buds in the waiting). They are all thankful for the abundant rain we've been having.824498

Fox_eNova
04-28-2015, 05:18 PM
My condolences Sue. Good to see ya back. MRSA is such a horrible disease. I didn't know it can infect/effect a skeeter bite! Hope things go well with Mandi and she has a full recovery.

My painting MoJo left me again.. I just have no desire or been in the mood lately to paint anything. Not sleeping well at night, so, I'm tired during the day and have no motivation to do ANYTHING short of eating or taking naps. Spent Sunday in bed napping and TV, pretty well all day.... shameful!
This is not how I want to spend my final days.

Lady Carol
04-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Sue I am sorry to hear about all that is going on in your life. It is tough to have to deal with the loss of a parent. Unfortunately if you live long enough it is inevitable.

Cem beautiful garden. I love knock out roses, they bloom no end and always look pretty. Mine have not gotten very far yet as they are still recovering from a good dose of winter. Currently they are gobbling the fertilizer I threw down a couple of weeks ago.

Eric sometimes a day in bed is the best thing. Not shameful, just view it as cathartic which most likely it was.

M & H wishing good test results for both of you.

I had some good new the other day. My shark tank plea was successful and I was awarded the money. Now I can do the next important step in the development and kill lots of mice. This is termed preclinical testing and is necessary part of getting a drug approved through the FDA.

susme48
04-28-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Maureen! It really has been kinda rough...for whatever screwy reason, it tends to feel like I just lost Bob again...sigh. Maybe I never really finished grieving for him...who knows. I have been trying to pamper myself some (so not easy for me), been reading quite a bit, and as I said paint a lot! Hope they find out what's wrong and fix you up soon!!

Thanks, Howard, and Cindy!

Cindy...wish I could trade yards!! Lovely!

Eric...they are not totally sure how it got there, again...dr. did say she could just be a carrier, and will go thru' this periodically because of all the autoimune stuff...yuck!

True, Carol...kind of spooky to become the "older generation".

bluefish
04-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Sue...."time heals all wounds"......so sorry about your Dad, but keep busy and communicate, it helps.....:wave:

Lady Carol
04-29-2015, 07:57 AM
I want to shoot my husband. I was complaining to a waitress about the food. Basically, I was being polite and all I said was please tell the chef that the steak was not the best. It had a huge streak of gristle and a chunk of fat in it. I cut both out and ate around it. Husband had the same thing and his was not as bad but he says, it was alright...."I am a nice person, I am not going to complain" Well screw him. All I wanted was support that the food was crap. I ate most of it and I was not going to bail on the bill. But I wanted the chef to know it was not the best. Any way I got a free dessert out of it, which I did not share.

We are currently not talking. He is such a jack- ass at times.

Lady Carol
04-29-2015, 09:27 AM
He actually apologized for not being supportive. I think I can count on maybe one hand the number of times he has apologized on his own volition. At 52, I suspect he is finally growing up.

Charlie's Mum
04-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Carol - I thought you were/are downunder and in the desert at present? :)

Good news about the money for the testing -well done :thumbsup:

Cindy, the garden looks gorgeous - summery!:) Here, we had hail yesterday - yuk ... and it's still cold and blustery. Did some weeding today but there's no colour left in the garden now the daffs have gone over - bluebells and peonies in bud but the cold will make them shiver!:lol: ........ forgot, the purple acer is now in leaf, so that's rather nice - it's actually a dark red! - everything else is green, green or green!:lol:

Thanks for the good wishes ...... actually, the doc said that the next time it happens I should go to A&E so they could do and ECG ... I said, 'What! in the middle of the night?' ... don't think so! .... if it's nearer 'getting-up-time' I'll consider it!:lol:

susme48
04-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Carol....sometimes they do grow up. :)

Maureen...tell them to bring the ECG to you, they'd get better results if you did not move....:lol: :angel:

Fox_eNova
04-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Carol. as a ex restaurant owner. I WANT to hear from the customer when thuings are not right. No one can correct a problem, if you do not know they exist! Bad cust can be the butcher/supplier or the buyer fault. Either way I always wanted to know. When I had a steak made for me or my wife, I am sure my chef would pull out a nice cut. But, I have sold some bad cuts because the chef bought cheap meat..thinking he was saving me money.
Saving money and loosing customers is bad business.
So, tell hubby, any complaints are for business's improvement and should be voiced, IMHO.

bluefish
04-29-2015, 02:59 PM
he sounds like a very nice person...:lol:

Lady Carol
04-29-2015, 09:43 PM
M, we are and that is the problem. Where we are, we are a bit of a captive audience here. There is nothing for several hundred kilometers, except a wok joint and a very over priced restaurant.

ColinS
04-30-2015, 12:49 AM
Hang in their Susan. Sorry to hear your mom is ailing. Mine turned 85 today and my aunt gave her a walker as a gift. Last year she would have bitten my aunt's head off. This year she accepted it as inevitable.

Maureen hope you continue to feel ok.

Howard hope those test results come back fine.

Cindy your yard is looking great. Ours is at its best at this time of year too before the lawn dries out.

Carol you were right to mention the steak. I avoid getting a steak in a restaurant because I have had too many disappointments. I stick with poultry or fish because they don't usually mess that up.

Lady Carol
04-30-2015, 08:09 PM
I have been invited to the BIO international conference to push my drug. This is a huge opportunity to get my drug licensed or at least heading in that direction. All the major pharma and biotechs will be there.

idylbrush
04-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Bravo Carol!

Rick G
04-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Hmmm...I never thought I'd cheer a drug-pusher, but congrats, Carol. ;)

Fox_eNova
05-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Hmmm...I never thought I'd cheer a drug-pusher, but congrats, Carol. ;) :thumbsup::thumbsup: Go Carol!

ColinS
05-01-2015, 01:21 AM
I have been invited to the BIO international conference to push my drug. This is a huge opportunity to get my drug licensed or at least heading in that direction. All the major pharma and biotechs will be there.

Wow! Way to go, Carol. Where is the conference? Somewhere exotic?

idylbrush
05-01-2015, 06:47 AM
Yesterday was one of those days I wish had never happened. Everything I touched fell apart. The only part of the day that was even close to right was getting a handicap hang tag for a friend. The paperwork was ready and I was able to pick it up with no issues.

The rest of the day pretty much stank. I was shuffled around from one office to another only to be told "we don't do that". Then shuffled off to another office. It was maddening. I spent 9 hours going from here to there and back again and in the end only had an appointment to show for the day. So, today I have an appointment at noon.

Charlie's Mum
05-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Clever girl C. - good luck, you've worked hard for it.:thumbsup:

Howard, how infuriating!