PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble April 2015

Shirl Parker
03-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

robertsloan2
04-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Purr hi Shirl and thanks for hosting again! I followed your excellent example and posted April's thread early, along with my absolutely serious goals for the next month. They looked tough but I might be able to manage them.

Norma46
04-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I am sitting in my living room watching a parade of boats headed north on the inland waterway. Mostly Canadians who are migrating north. I wish all a warm and productive April. My days in Florida are ticking down and I have to begin thinking about using up all the perishables and frozen items in my fridge and deciding what I will pack to take north with me. Now that I have my own place here there are real decisions to be made. I hope to get to the beach as much as possible this month. Yesterday was my first walk on the beach since arriving in December!

robertsloan2
04-01-2015, 10:38 AM
Oh wow! That sounds so cool. I'm glad you finally got to walk on the beach, that's awesome. Sounds great to migrate with the seasons that way.

ural jones
04-01-2015, 04:28 PM
We just enjoy our grandson everyday that we can. It has been four months since we visited our mountain home in the north Ga. mtns. We hope to go back soon. I suppose to wash off the yellow pollen!

blr2449
04-01-2015, 10:20 PM
The next few months will be incredibly busy as we are going to be renovating our kitchen--a big undertaking. House was built in 1930, occupied by my husband's family since 1950. I moved here in 2002. Was neglected for many years & I just can't take it anymore :lol: Starting with kitchen and we're doing it ourselves.

I don't know how much painting I'll get done but I resolve to make time to do some each month. Working on a pastel still life using the paper I had asked about before. Canson Mi-Teintes in dark gray.

WIP:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2015/163263-20150401_210412-1_resized.jpg

Next up - oil painting.

Enjoy the weather everyone. Been a long time coming.

robertsloan2
04-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Barbara, this is a great start! You avoided the ellipse question by using a flat base, though the top of it would curve up a little you could change the line as it's not even painted unless you want that stylized. With both lines dead horizontal it looks stylized deliberately. Love the color variegations inside and outside the vase.

Now you're starting to see the fun of Mi-Tientes and mid-value paper! It's great to be able to go both directions with values, easy to keep a painting from getting too dark or too light. I love Mi-Tientes, an old favorite unsanded paper.

Drbear
04-06-2015, 10:22 AM
This Sunday I will be in my first Ironman triathlon! I'm trying to relax and paint to keep my mind off of it!

blr2449
04-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Robert - Thanks. When it's done it will look more like this - or a close approximation thereof. LOL As you can see, the top part of the vase is totally obscured
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2015/163263-Flowers_in_Vase.JPG

I can only do a bit at a time due to other things I have on my plate.

robertsloan2
04-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Oh wow, then I take it back about the ellipses! This is going to come out wonderful, you really got it! I think you may have done the base a little cleaner!

Might as well post yesterday's sketch, it's not pastel but I did a page in my little watercolor Moleskine!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2015/70184-4-8-2015_Leaf_and_Tree_Page.jpg
Leaf and Tree Page
3 1/2" x 5 1/4"
Pigma Micron size 01 and watercolor
Twig with new leaves and old from life, tree and shrubs from my photo.

Right now I have a lap cat. I was going to sketch him but he came up to get on my lap and purr and make funny little purring noises. I love him so much!

blr2449
04-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Aw ♥ Ari.

I'm not sure you mean I have to make the base of the vase a little cleaner?

I like your tree. It's light and airy, reminds of summer coming up. :crossfingers: Right now we're surrounded by severe weather.

The branch with leaves? Is it from an oak? I ask because usually oaks are really stubborn about letting go of their leaves.

Too many tornado warnings around here. :(

DBfarmgirl
04-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Calle- good luck with your triathlon! what an accomplishment.

Barbara- I love the colors of the flowers and vase. Good luck with the tornadoes, scary.

Robert- I like the tree, it's accurate, but not overdone, light airy.

I had a 120 pound lap Labrador last night because of the thunderstorms. There are days I wish he was a cat.....

Well my son was offered his Navy Diver contract. My little boy as a Navy Diver, I'm proud of him and scared to death at the same time. His deployment date will change now, won't know that until later. I'm hoping it's later in the year, I'd like to keep him home for a little while longer, I'm going to miss him terribly. There's a big part of me that wishes he would just live in our basement and flip burgers for a living.....

robertsloan2
04-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Barbara, I meant your base of the vase looks better and has cleaner lines than the one you're working from! The curve on the sides of the vase is more accurate on yours. It's beautiful!

I do know what oaks look like, but I don't know what it is. The leaves weren't indented though, just sort of pointed ovoid. LOL the 120lb Lap Labrador, and I thought getting stomped over and wakened by a 15lb cat was a big deal!

Congratulations to the Navy Diver. He'll be fine. He'll wind up having a lot of fun is all. Divers are notoriously careful and safety conscious while monster movies are so not true!

robertsloan2
04-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Yay, sketched again today without even going out. Played with the crayons and I'm pretty happy with the foxgloves, all of it just from memory. Funny how foxgloves stuck in my mind though!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2015/70184-4-12-2015_Crayon_Chart.jpg
152 Crayola Crayons test page
8 1/2" x 11"
Crayola crayons on sketch paper, from memory/imagination

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2015/70184-4-12-2015_Crayon_Sketches.jpg
Detail with foxglove, tomato and daisy.

CM Neidhofer
04-13-2015, 07:18 AM
So using crayons is probably about equivalent to using "hard" oil pastels? Maybe you should start a "Crayon Artists" group on FB and see how many other people work with crayons? Might be interesting!

robertsloan2
04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
That is a good description! I hesitate to start a group though, not sure I'll be spending enough time with them to keep up. It's more of a goofing around thing compared to pastels or oil pastels and I haven't even started an OP group on Facebook. I don't spend as much time there as I should to run a group. I might join it if someone did but keeping up as admin is work.

CM Neidhofer
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
How about if I throw it out there on Facebook? I'll be the admin and maybe you can be a backup? I'm always on FB and wouldn't mind doing it, if you think there might be any interest. I know there are awesome crayon artists out there. Might be fun....whatdaya think??

blr2449
04-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Christine..I asked about a crayon forum once and a told to just the paintings into the forum that fits the subject. Not sure I like that option.:)

I thought 60# of cats was bad. LOL

Thanks, Robert. I've been so busy with work and renovation haven't gotten any further.

robertsloan2
04-14-2015, 08:16 AM
Christine, if you start it I'll probably join but I really have to warn you that I don't get on FB often, would not make a good backup admin letting people in. Even my friend requests wait for weeks for me to remember oh yeah I got facebook. You would be back by the time anyone managed to get hold of me and I might be confused and not even remember group.

It'd be cool to see it on my feed though, especially with people doing Don Marco sorts of things with realism or impressionism.

It's kind of odd - doesn't really fit with oil pastels or in mixed-alternative media, and there are those really good Caran d'Ache artist grade wax crayons Neocolor I as well as Crayolas. I think I brought it up on oil pastels forum once and can't remember what they decided.

CM Neidhofer
04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
I still may do it. I picked up that big set of crayons yesterday. Figured if nothing else, it's a cheaper way to play, or do a preliminary before investing the pastels in something that might not work! I'm playing with crayons today!

DBfarmgirl
04-15-2015, 07:49 AM
I loved a new box of crayons. One of life's pleasures.

Haven't been on here much in the last few days. I hope to post a couple paintings to get a little feedback, but haven't gotten pictures take of them yet.

We've been clearing pasture, pulling tree stumps and cutting firewood. I'm beat. More of the same today, then the husband goes on night shift and my work day will only be an hour or two of heavy manual labor, a nice break. We're trying to get things cut before all the leaves come out and spring is coming on quickly.

The peepers have been out in mass, a bear visited my bird feeder last -night- hibernation over, the ducks are back (we have many different species that live on the river)- I love spring. I hope everyone is enjoying it.

robertsloan2
04-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Yep! Christine, all those things went through my mind and they're all good. That strange little no-name sketchbook I got at Christmas has been getting a lot of use and sometimes it's good to just relax and goof around.

Oh wow DB, yeah, you're doing a lot! Bears at the bird feeder. Wow. You really are right out in the thick of it. Peepers are awesome though. Anything that gets melodious at night. Ducks cool.

DBfarmgirl
04-15-2015, 03:13 PM
A sort of day off- the tractor ran out of gas...

Hoping to do a little painting and photography- the daffodils and hellebores are blooming.

My sister had a bear break into the basement- I'm not sure I could handle that. Thankfully we have black bears here and they're not aggressive.

blr2449
04-15-2015, 07:52 PM
I have a great crayon book, "Amazing Crayon Drawing with Lee Hammond." She goes over a lot and has a lot of great exercises. There's even great a definition and some exercises in burnishing. :) I found it a couple of months ago and really am getting a lot of information from it.

robertsloan2
04-19-2015, 12:48 AM
Oh I can see that. Lee Hammond has a lot of good drawing books and it makes sense she'd do a crayons one, the techniques are very similar to colored pencils but crayons are bolder in line and more transparent generally. Pretty cool!

Leelanau
04-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Just wanted to drop in and say hi. Lots of stuff happening at our house lately, including the puppy training, so I really haven't had time to be online. I'm painting for the next few months, but it will be walls instead of canvas. Patching drywall this week to prep, and then I can finally make this house my home.

I did get to attend the Thomas Tomasek workshop in Owosso, MI a couple weekends ago. Got a lot out of it, and can't wait to dive in to my new Unison pastel darks when I get a second. After that room is painted, I'll have to post a picture of my new sets in their lovely new home.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous early spring!

blr2449
04-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Letetia, same here although not quite to the point of painting, although I do have the Paint colors. :-) Pale yellow on the ceiling and gray for the walls. Still have a lot of dry wall to take down and replace, floor to put down, cabinets to hang...and so it goes. I'm still trying to finish my little pastel vase and flowers. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2015/163263-Kitchen_progress.jpg

robertsloan2
04-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Oh wow, looks like serious drywall patching. Congrats to both of you getting around to it!

Awesome cool you're painting too, Barbara.

Norma, looking forward to photo of your new sets in their new home!

Today I painted the line drawing I did from life on Wednesday, thought I'd share as I havn't been painting much at all. Pretty distracted with pleasant but distracting family stuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Apr-2015/70184-4-25-2015_Wisteria_Trunk_on_Fence_WC_pen.jpg
Wisteria Trunk on Fence
7" square
Pigma Micron pens and Daniel Smith watercolors
Stillman & Birn Zeta journal 180lb smooth watercolor paper.

blr2449
04-26-2015, 08:38 PM
I love the wisteria vine! We had a wisteria tree in El Paso, the flowers were gorgeous!

robertsloan2
04-27-2015, 02:28 AM
I first saw real wisteria in New Orleans when I got an apartment that had it planted outside the tall front windows. It draped into them like a Tiffany stained glass window design and I loved it. Then recognized it again here! It's blooming now so I might back up and do it again or do the upper part with the flowers sometime. I have studied that vine meaning to draw it for a long time - and weird, for all that I love the flowers it's often the base that intrigues me. It twists around like a bonsai and has all the graceful curves of driftwood forms. Got a tangent in that vine pointing off to the upper right corner but I can change that next time.

DBfarmgirl
04-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Barbara- I finally quit shaking after looking at your drywall redo. we have/had a house full of horsehair plaster. what a mess. Goodluck with your remodel.

Robert- I like your wisteria painting. I'd love to have that outside my window!

Here's my latest distraction-
they moved into the tree right outside of my second floor studio window.
Hours of laughs. the mom isn't very big, but she keeps them in line.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2015/215035-IMG_5044_sm.jpg

robertsloan2
04-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Oh they are cute, DB! Squirrels always look cool. Great photo! They must be so fascinating! Purr!

Thanks for your comment on my wisteria trunk. Next time I'll get the flowers, I think. I got photos of them.

The bathtub in my building finally got fixed, to my great relief. Just had a bath and now my home carer has gone out to do my laundry.

Shirl Parker
04-30-2015, 11:46 PM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20466172#post20466172)