PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for the newbie?

amdaoh
03-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Helllloo!!

I started painting in January this year. I had never picked up a paint brush before then. I signed up for a local "Paint & Drink" type of thing. (Canvas and Cabernet in Walnut Creek, CA). I quickly became addicted, and will be completing my 7 painting with them this week.

However, I couldn't wait for a scheduled class.... so..I invested in a set of brushes, an easel and some entry level acrylics (Liguitex Basics). I have painted 5 pieces on my own over the last couple of weeks... a few are still work in progress.

I'm looking for any advice, or "if i had known then" type of tips.

So far, I have learned that quality of paint really makes a difference. I started out with Artist's Loft from Micheal's. I didn't realize that "Fast-Drying" would have any impact on my ability to paint a sky (doh.) Since, I have upgraded to a starter kit of Acrylics from Liquitex's Bascis... their basic 6 colors. They made all the difference in the world.

I recently discovered Blick's Art Materials in Berkeley. Another well kept secret. I went there on Saturday, and upgraded again to the 24 Pack of Basics.

My brushes, I am still learning their purpose. I started out with a RealValue set from Princeton Art & Brush (#9155). It's the same set they use at the Paint and Drink sessions. I got a little brave and have added the #9175 & #9156 RealValue sets. I don't know how to use the fan brush, but I have it and I am ready to learn.

I did know to buy gesso/pre-primed canvas. no shockers there.. however. I would like to know the difference between the value packs versus the duck hide canvas... and if it matters or not.

Well... I am extremely intimated by all the well-studied and veteran artists, and can't seem to work up the courage to ask the clerks at the stores... so hopefully this forum will offer the advice and guidance that I so desperately need. :)

Thank you!!

cliff.kachinske
03-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Browse the Information Kiosk at the top of the first page.

Paint lots. Experiment and see what happens.

Post your stuff here and ask for C&C. People will help.

Set your computer up to left justify your text. Centered paragraphs are a pain to read.

Fox_eNova
03-30-2015, 11:49 PM
I quickly became addicted Yes, wine will do that to an artist.. :lol:
Raw Duck canvas normally has no gesso on it. Most stretched canvas's from the store will have a light gesso coat. Some people like the weave to show through. So, depending on how you paint, you may want to add a coat or two of gesso. I gesso 2 or 3 coats on new canvas. Makes cleaning up my errors much easier.
Paint lots. Experiment and see what happens. that's the key!
And read the stickies at the beginning of this forum..lot's of helpful things

amdaoh
03-31-2015, 01:36 AM
Mr. Fox_eNova,

You are full of insightful tips! My shopping list for tomorrow contains gesso! I was getting a little frustrated with the texture of the canvas, even though it's "pre-primed". I think next one I'll slap on a couple more coats to even out the surface. Brilliant!

Thank you Stumblefingers! I quickly corrected the alignment of text :thumbsup:

Oh! Don't worry. I plan on painting every spare minute I get!

Off to the sticky threads for some light reading.

Fox_eNova
03-31-2015, 08:28 AM
The jury is still put on this subject, but people are using inexpensive acrylic outdoor house paint or primer like KilZ for the under/base coating in lieu of gesso. Currently I have the large bucket of gesso open, but when it's gone, I am going with the house paint. If you are just experimenting/learning it's a great money saver. Outdoor acrylic house paint has UV inhibitors also and under the harshest conditions will last 15/20 years. 4-5 times longer then years I have left..
http://www.artinstructionblog.com/plain-paint-or-gesso
Once I'm gone, I could care less which dumpster get a gesso or Kilz primed painting.

PattiLou
03-31-2015, 12:00 PM
I did know to buy gesso/pre-primed canvas. no shockers there.. however. I would like to know the difference between the value packs versus the duck hide canvas... and if it matters or not.

Thank you!![/LEFT]
Just a quick note on canvas. I purchased a value pack at Michael's and later discovered they were thin and even had little pin holes you could see through. From now on I am sticking to Fredrix Canvas. It may be more expensive but I don't have to gesso the back and front to fill in the holes.

talisman
03-31-2015, 12:53 PM
Well... I am extremely intimated by all the well-studied and veteran artists, and can't seem to work up the courage to ask the clerks at the stores... so hopefully this forum will offer the advice and guidance that I so desperately need. :)

Thank you!!

Everyone started somewhere! Don't be intimidated. No matter what your level there will always be those above you that you admire and at the other end those less so. Have faith in yourself and keep trying! I have known execeptional artists who do great works and I have known those with limited innate talent who with practice and determination have become amazing artists with time. I count myself in the still learning stage, but striving to become better. This site is great! Don't be afraid to post they will give you wonderful advice and encouragement.
PS the clerks are paid to help you, let them.

EnPassant
03-31-2015, 01:31 PM
You can also get acrylic paper pads to experiment on or watercolour paper will do also. Do lots of research on the net. There's a lot of info. for beginners.

Charlie's Mum
03-31-2015, 03:33 PM
Everyone above has given sound advice so I won't repeat it!

Do look at our Information Kiosk - a sub forum above the main forum page (or follow the link in my signature).
There's a Classroom Index there of all the classrooms we've done over the years, also links to Paint-a-Longs (PALS) which we do from time to time -all for learning!

For fun why not join our Different Strokes challenge each month - always to be found as a sticky close to the top of the main page - new one starting tomorrow.

artrookie
03-31-2015, 03:46 PM
Welcome to wetcanvas, and the acrylic forum. This art thing can be addictive.

One thing I found to be helpful from some great artists on this forum is when buying paints is to only use artist grade acrylics. Also by using a limited palette, it not only keeps your purchases reasonably low, but is invaluable in learning to mix colors.

~JMW~
03-31-2015, 03:56 PM
Look at acrylic painting videos on you tube..Jerry Yarnell and many more... he shows how to blend and avoid too fast dry times.
and watch how they all use the various brushes and strokes made.
tips in my siggy

Jon Bradley
03-31-2015, 04:37 PM
Don't be intimidated by anybody, especially "vets" trying to tell you how to do things. (lol) Play a lot and develop your own way of doing things the way you enjoy, and you'll be better off than most of the snobs.

Good luck! :wink2:

cinderblockstudios
04-06-2015, 01:44 AM
I have a number of videos on my youtube channel that will hopefully inspire and help you along with painting. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96251A0AFD6FD2F7

Also, it's a great medium isn't it!? Welcome to the world of painting!