PDA

View Full Version : Need some C&C please!

cem
03-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Like I said, I have a thing for moose. I would really like some C&C on this. Been looking at it too long and not sure if it's finished. 12x12 on wc paper.823465

chammi kaiser
03-30-2015, 11:43 AM
The colours are lovely Cindy. I know the eye is on the shady side but I would lighten it slightly to give it more life. Otherwise no crits from me. Sign it.

Charlie's Mum
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Cindy, I know nothing about the anatomy of moose(s):lol: and he looks fine to me ..... my one crit is that gorgeous meadow looks too shallow for him to be so far down in it! .. I'm thinking we'd see more of his bulk?
Love the lighting and the colours though:)

Raymo
03-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Tundra is real soft and spongy so that's pretty accurate. I would put some reds in grasses, like berries almost. I could post a pic of me and my moose but that might offend some people.

cem
03-30-2015, 02:52 PM
I had that eye lightened somewhat but to me it just didn't look right.
His positioning is like the photo I went by. So I guess Raymo must be right about the Tundra being sponge-like. I will consider putting some red in there somewhere. Thanks, y'all, for taking the time to look and comment.

TamiP
03-30-2015, 03:49 PM
He's beautiful. I like the fact that this scene portrays a more kind of serene emotion. Such a powerful beast and I expect to see a massive, powerful animal kind of overpowering the picture. The juxtaposition makes this very captivating.

Charlie's Mum
03-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Learn something new every day! Never been on tundra - so thanks for the info!:) ....... Cindy, scrap what I said - well, that bit!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

CinderellaG
03-30-2015, 06:38 PM
I really like the watercolor work here. I too felt like the moose almost looks like hes floating on top of the grasses..I would want a little of the dark color of the moose down into the grass..beautiful painting though!

DizzyD
03-30-2015, 09:04 PM
A great looking Moose, very natural appearance,, wonderful job

Don

Linee
03-30-2015, 09:09 PM
I think it looks lovely. My only input for critique would be that the dark shadow on the ear is too dark for the lighting and its position.

Raymo
03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
Walking on tundra is akin to walking across your mattress, seriously.

ColinS
03-30-2015, 10:22 PM
Dangerous killers. :eek: But this one looks very nice & benign in its bed of flowers. You have done a good job on it, Cindy.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2015/1183569-image.jpg

AppalachianArt
03-30-2015, 11:23 PM
Hello cem,

I don't paint in watercolor, but I saw this painting and wanted to give my humble suggestion. I think this is really great! The moose is awesome and you really captured the texture in the fur. I think you have something here.

I hope you don't mind, (*and then inserts what they have already done*) I made some changes to the photo to better explain my opinion. I put them in black and white so it could be seen better. It's could be done with any colors.

My eye is drawn to the far palm of the antler as the focal point. The value that you have painted directly above and below makes that exciting light being caught by the antler get lost. I would suggest that you "set the stage" for the star (being the focal point)

I think paintings are most interesting when the painting is dominated by one side of the value or the other. This will leave a small amount of light or a small amount of dark, depending on what you would like. Our eye is drawn to contrast. In this case, I can definitely feel the lights wanting all the attention.

I wanted to give you a visual on what that would look like if you keyed everything down and let that light shine (cue choir)! You can put the darkest dark behind the far antler. This would give depth to the forest and give huge contrast.

I toned down the meadow so it would not compete for too much attention. I also added some darks in the foreground for variety, along with a shadow for the moose on the grass. I also noticed that since the body of the moose is dark, you could be a bit lighter in front you wanted. Like the light is breaking through trees. Just remember who the star is! It would be a light, dark, light, dark, type of feel.

Remember, these are just suggestions. I am, in no way shape or form, a pro. I just really liked your painting and saw potential. Keep up the great work!

Bobby

LavenderFrost
03-31-2015, 11:50 AM
Very nice work, but I do see what Maureen meant. My first thought was that he seemed kind of flat. Maybe we need to see some of him showing through the plants so he looks more behind them than on top.

cem
03-31-2015, 12:44 PM
All great advice! When I finally find the paperwork I'm searching for here, maybe I can take the time to apply it. (I hate paperwork, filing,....etc. Always misplacing something). Thanks for everyone's input. I knew I needed new eyes to see what it needs. It will be a gift for my dear brother-the hunter/fisher/everything outdoors. He's the one that sparked my interest in art when I was a child although he never pursued it himself. Guess he was too busy traipsing through the Oregon forests and lakes. I will post an update when I done with it.