PDA

View Full Version : Portrait

EnPassant
03-29-2015, 05:15 PM
This is a first sketch for a portrait I'm going to do. C&C welcome before I start the final version. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/1966540-Hair.JPG

cliff.kachinske
03-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Lots of good stuff here. LIke the way you've handled the hair. By and large the drawing is well done. Not sure about the shape of the eye. Also I can't get a good read on the light source. Shadow placement and depth seems inconsistent.

Charlie's Mum
03-30-2015, 06:27 AM
It's a very nice sketch, lovely 'feeling'. Skin tones are good and well-blended. Hair is good too.
I'd check the neck area carefully though - I see reflected light from the (our) left but it wouldn't continue all the way down the edge of her top - that would throw shadow ... at present, her neck looks mis-shaped there! Also check tendons and hollow of neck ......... and the size of the chin are - her nose is long, makes the chin/mouth area look small?
Also check the centre line down the face - it will curve because of head shape but at present, the features are a little 'off'!:)

cjkok
03-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Nice start... I think the eye is slanted a bit. Normally it would be aligned to the line of the mouth and the nostrils. The way you depict the light makes the face look very narrow. I assume your light source is from top right, but the edge of your cast shadow (viewer's left) is near vertical, which would indicate light from straight above. I'd advice to play around with the shadows a bit. With the strong shadows on the cheeks, I'd expect a shadow around the nose and perhaps in the orbit of the eye.