PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with Acrylic

glass22
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM
I've been trying to learn acrylics for a few months but I'm struggling.

How do you know what method to use in what places? when do I blend wet paints on canvas? when do I dry brush, stipple etc?

How can I make a shadow skin colour?

TamiP
03-28-2015, 02:09 PM
I am in about the same place as you. There are tons of great youtube videos that can help with ideas and tutorials. Also on here there are a lot. Mostly, I think we're just going to have to do a lot of trial and error.

idylbrush
03-28-2015, 02:20 PM
IMHO, it takes, time, practice and a whole big bucket of experimentation. In time you will find what effect you want and how to get there.

DMSS
03-28-2015, 02:32 PM
I have been painting for two years and I am still experimenting with and learning techniques. For me it helps to visualize how I want my painting to look: translucent? opaque? no brushstrokes? brushstrokes? thin paint? impasto? This helps me figure out which techniques, medium, paint viscosity, etc. to try out. For me learning all of this is fun. Someone told me the following, which I quite like: "We don't learn to paint. We paint to learn."

Andrew
03-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Don't look at it as a struggle. Look at is as play. Every medium has its quirks and eccentricities, as well as each artists.

Just play around and just see what can be done with different brushes, mediums, just water, surfaces, and paint. Keep it light and easy, and don't worry about making a picture or creating the next great masterpiece.

Andrew

EnPassant
03-28-2015, 03:37 PM
I've been trying to learn acrylics for a few months but I'm struggling.

How do you know what method to use in what places? when do I blend wet paints on canvas? when do I dry brush, stipple etc?

How can I make a shadow skin colour?

Keep it simple. Paint a still life with two objects or a simple landscape - don't start a group portrait with 17 people. If you make small paintings you'll make your mistakes fast and learn fast without being demoralized. PLAN your work. Paint it in your head first then do it for real. You'll get there!

Shadow skin colour is brown or grey or bluish. Look at people and see what colour it is. (Try not to stare at people in restaurants, like I do. People will think you are weird!)

Charlie's Mum
03-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the forum and to the medium! You will learn, you will find your way, just takes some time.:)

Don't look at it as a struggle. Look at is as play. Every medium has its quirks and eccentricities, as well as each artists.

Just play around and just see what can be done with different brushes, mediums, just water, surfaces, and paint. Keep it light and easy, and don't worry about making a picture or creating the next great masterpiece.

Andrew

I cannot emphasis strongly enough what Andrew is saying here:)

this from David is also very true.
For me it helps to visualize how I want my painting to look: translucent? opaque? no brushstrokes? brushstrokes? thin paint? impasto? This helps me figure out which techniques, medium, paint viscosity, etc. to try out. For me learning all of this is fun. Someone told me the following, which I quite like: "We don't learn to paint. We paint to learn."

Try to think and plan what you're aiming for ... realism? .. . looseness? ... impressionistic strokes? .... bright, unrealistic colour? ..... or recreate colour as closely as possible to the reference?

We have some really good classroom threads in the Information Kiosk (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329) here - Classroom Index (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432555) lists them - just click and read.:)
Also in the IK you will find various PAL threads where some of us have Painted-A-Long together and explored how to paint various subjects, styles, techniques.

Next, if you have a painting on the go and you're not sure what's wrong, ask yourself questions about what you really want it to look like, then post it in the forum with your questions and we'll try to help.
WE also have a 'What's on Your Easel' thread each month - always near the top of the forum page - you can post and ask there also.:)

Chiefly though, PLAY with the medium and ENJOY yourself - it's only paint and paper and it doesn't have to be expensive!:)

cliff.kachinske
03-28-2015, 04:37 PM
What they all said, plus this: keep heart, it will come.

I've been painting, with some interruptions, since the 1960's. Sometimes I still struggle but it's worth it.

Jon Bradley
03-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Yup, just keep at it!

The answers to the former 2 questions are: whenever you want.

There are a lot of good info bits on skin tones in the learning section on the portraits sub-section.

Fox_eNova
03-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Andrew said it right. Enjoy the experiment.

Charlie's Mum
03-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Yes, for skin tones, try the Portrait forum:)
Skin will reflect colours next to it and obviously different skin colours react differently!
If you look at some of Cezanne's portraits you'll see green used a lot for shadow - that's a fairly common practice - just usually done less obviously!:)

jocko500
03-31-2015, 10:43 PM
skin color use google for acrylic skin colors. there a lot of diff ways of doing it so if you have two or more people in a painting it good to use diff colors on they skins. and as one say if you have 17 people then use will need 17 differ colors of skins ???