PDA

View Full Version : Practice papers... Advice sought

Ladylabobo
03-27-2015, 02:40 PM
What is the best kind of paper to practice on? I don't want to waste canvas when I'm only testing out how the medium works. I've never used acrylics before, only oils so I'm guessing some test pages of blending, mark making and texture might be a good idea.

Thanks in advance :)

RobD
03-27-2015, 02:58 PM
I use Strathmore 300 bristol paper and it seems to work fine. It behaves different than canvas, and can buckle a bit when wet, but seems to flatten out pretty well when dry.

EnPassant
03-27-2015, 04:17 PM
You can also get pads of paper specially for acrylic. They are primed with acrylic. W+N do them. So do lots of other firms.

idylbrush
03-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Strathmore also makes an acrylic paper and a multi-media paper that might be useful.

Jon Bradley
03-27-2015, 09:22 PM
I use cardboard boxes when I'm just experimenting lol

Andrew
03-27-2015, 10:38 PM
I typically use regular sketchpaper or inexpensive watercolour paper for quick studies and sketches in acrylic. Matboard and cardboard scraps work equally well. Currently I have been using cheap used trade hardcover I picked up at used bookstore. It was a one of those overly verbose romantic sagas, that the binding had seen better days. I fixed it, at the cost of a few loose pages and voila!

I use it to test out priming options, mediums, compositions, and mixed media applications. Time and 25 cents (which actually bought two damaged hardcovers) is all I needed.

Andrew

Priti
03-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Canvas paper works well for me. Tape it on a board to set it upright.

Ladylabobo
03-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Thanks all. I already have boards & oil paper, is canvas paper different to the oil paper? I hadn't thought of cardboard, I will probably try that. It's just for practicing strokes and blending and effects so I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money I don't have on expensive papers for testing purposes. I'd rather save that for actually painting pictures.

Andrew
03-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Thanks all. I already have boards & oil paper, is canvas paper different to the oil paper? I hadn't thought of cardboard, I will probably try that. It's just for practicing strokes and blending and effects so I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money I don't have on expensive papers for testing purposes. I'd rather save that for actually painting pictures.

Cardboard and construction paper work well. Toulouse Lautrec did many of his quick gestural paintings on that sort of support.

Andrew