PDA

View Full Version : Today's Painting - Eyeing You

TamiP
03-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Felt like doing an eye study. This is an acrylic on 5x7 canvas board. Done from memory... had a lot of trouble with the lashes and brow. Also, started drawing it as a left eye and ended up being a right eye, may have lost some of the perspective because of the flip in decision mid-stream. Any suggestions on how to make it better next time?

Charlie's Mum
03-26-2015, 04:28 PM
It's still a left eye!:lol:
It's OK working from memory if the memory is good and accurate but you'd do well to use a good ref - either from life (your own eye) or from a photo.:)
The brow and the eyelashes/upper lid are rather close.
The lower lid should show the 'thickness' or depth of the flesh from front to touching eyeball.
The eyeball is a sphere and should be rounded side to side as well as top to bottom (think of it disappearing inside the socket.
The lashes do not stem from where the lids touch the eye.
See what I mean? If you study a ref, you'll see all these things ;):)

Of course, it all depends how realistic you want to make it!;)

TamiP
03-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Thanks Charlie. I see what you mean about where the lashes should have started, lol, the funny part is I created the little 'lip' at the bottom of the eye but still started the lashes from inside it. Dang.

I knew there was something off about the brow, I see what you mean on that.

I tried to get the roundness, I guess that didn't come off well. I'll have to work on that harder.

Yeah, I'm going to have to try and find reference photos.

Charlie's Mum
03-27-2015, 08:03 AM
You can also try working ideas out in pencil, on paper, first - plan the whole thing, shapes/forms/tones ....... easier to sort out errors there than on the canvas!:)

cem
03-27-2015, 08:19 AM
All good info from Maureen. A good reference photo would be invaluable for this subject.

TamiP
03-27-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to doing it again soon.

chammi kaiser
03-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Tami, there are some good tips in the Portrait Painting forum here on WC. Here is a link to an eye tutorial in acrylics on UTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_W8ZBuv6vI

TamiP
03-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks chammi! I'll watch that today.