PDA

View Full Version : Winsor & Newton acrylic gloss varnish - reviews and opinions welcomed

alpha101
03-24-2015, 03:54 PM
hello all -

Does anyone here have any experiences to share in regards to W&N's acrylic gloss varnish? I'm interested in trying it because I keep reading where it is removable. Everything I've read or been taught about conventional acrylic "varnishes" is that they are not removable at all. I've read conflicting accounts/info/opinions about solvent-based varnishes for acrylics (i.e. Liquitex's Soluvar). Being that solvent-based varnishes would require turpentine or mineral spirits to remove, I'm hesitant/skeptical about using them on anything acrylic, even with an "isolation coat" that protects the paint film which is acrylic-based anyways.

Sennelier, Liquitex,etc. varnishes are "permanent," and therefore unable to be removed.... which makes me ponder whether they should be considered varnishes at all. I've always thought varnishes had to be removable in order to be considered a varnish in the first place.

So, I'm especially interested in W&N for their "removable" varnish. Any experiences in applying it, and removing it? I'm going to guess this varnish isn't acrylic based since its removable (?). Thank you for the help!

Charlie's Mum
03-24-2015, 04:17 PM
We have a stick thread - always available near the top of the forum page - it's an 'Umbrella' thread of FAQs (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1363257) - you'll find a lot of info about varnishes - maybe even soluble ones!
Follow the link and read :)

Also, you could check W&N website, most manufacturers are good at sharing and giving information.

JimR-OCDS
03-24-2015, 08:59 PM
I only have experience with Golden Acrylic Varnish and never tried to remove it, which can be done with ammonia and water.

Anyway, here's the thread on the subject that got me into it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354220&highlight=Varnish

Jim

idylbrush
03-25-2015, 07:22 AM
I also used the ammonia removable varnish and find, so far, that it is a good option. My only warning is that the satin or matte versions have matting agents that may interfere with dark colors. I have removed the varnish and find it relatively easy to do and redo.