PDA

View Full Version : Landscape with Trees

sidbledsoe
03-23-2015, 05:10 PM
This is a 20x24 done with a mix of Golden, Liquitex, and Galeria acrylics, trying to get a loose impressionistic style going now:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2015/112587-IMG_0566.JPG

Charlie's Mum
03-23-2015, 05:12 PM
The tree foliage is impressionistic, works well, so does the foreground.:)
Not sure about the very light path - looks a bit unfinished?

stapeliad
03-23-2015, 05:36 PM
I like those trees Sid!

sidbledsoe
03-23-2015, 09:30 PM
thanks chasmum and staples,
yes, i think I will add some ruts or some color to the path, it is faint and lost in the photo, the clouds also have subtle tones that are not seen in the photo, that is because my photos are lousy.

ColinS
03-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Yeah the trees are real superheroes in this. I really like how you handled them.

chammi kaiser
03-24-2015, 04:50 AM
The trees are great Sid. I really like the 'sky holes' . Fix that path and you have a winner!

mapa127
03-24-2015, 05:03 AM
Your tree foliage is terrific and I like your foreground. I think maybe if the path was darker towards the foreground and lighter as it disappears into the distance.

sidbledsoe
03-24-2015, 05:26 AM
thanks a lot colin, chammi, and mapa.

SilverLady
03-24-2015, 10:04 AM
I love the painting. The buildings need to be not so bright. A wonderful job.

LavenderFrost
03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Very nice work. I actually thought the path was a little stream of water.

sidbledsoe
03-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks Silver and Lavender, I will probably tweak all of the things mentioned plus a couple of things that I see that need something, will repost when done.

Thanks for the comments on the trees, as I said in the first post, I am going for a painterly, or impressionistic look. By this I mean that I only want a suggestion of things. I don't really want the trees to look like real actual trees, like where you can see all the leaves and details etc.
What I want to see is paint and painted shapes, forms, and colors that suggest reality, but when you look at the painting, you definitely see paint and paint strokes.
I found that I much prefer heavy body acrylics over thin body paints like the Golden Opens (which also dry much too slow for me :D ).

oramasha
03-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Thanks Silver and Lavender, I will probably tweak all of the things mentioned plus a couple of things that I see that need something, will repost when done.

Thanks for the comments on the trees, as I said in the first post, I am going for a painterly, or impressionistic look. By this I mean that I only want a suggestion of things. I don't really want the trees to look like real actual trees, like where you can see all the leaves and details etc.
What I want to see is paint and painted shapes, forms, and colors that suggest reality, but when you look at the painting, you definitely see paint and paint strokes.
I found that I much prefer heavy body acrylics over thin body paints like the Golden Opens (which also dry much too slow for me :D ).

I think you're well on the way to a more impressionistic look. The trees do look great. You might consider softening the clouds if you could. One of the challenges for me with acrylics is getting soft edges! As a Golden heavy body girl, it's nice to hear your impressions (pun intended) about the Golden opens as I've never used them, but didn't realize they were thinner than the heavy body paint. I'm glad I chose the heavy body! I'm an impatient painter, too. :)

sidbledsoe
03-26-2015, 11:41 AM
thanks a lot oramasha,
yes, I do not like using the Golden Opens at all, I think I may try mixing a little of them with Heavy Body paint, maybe 1/4 or so opens, and then sometimes use them also for a little final glazing, but for the most part, it is straight up Heavy Body high octane paint for me.

saaz hop
03-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Sid, you hit it on the loose painterly feel and the trees are great. One minor nit on composition, the trees have a goal post feel with a pair on each side, maybe a small 3rd tree on the left pair to break it up. I really like the style on this one.

Cindy Schnackel
03-28-2015, 12:21 AM
Beautiful painting!

sidbledsoe
03-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks Cindy and Patrick, I will also incorporate your suggestions when I update this.