PDA

View Full Version : Sign it or burn it? Candid comments please.

cliff.kachinske
03-23-2015, 10:24 AM
This painting is facing the wall at the moment while I work on other things.

All comments welcome. Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2015/1965263-flowersredux.jpg

joelaidler101
03-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Wow thats a bright yellow flower!

cliff.kachinske
03-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Wow thats a bright yellow flower!

Thanks, Joel. Sign or burn? Keep it or bin it?

Kathy1234
03-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Crop it. Leave about 3/4 of the yellow flower

joelaidler101
03-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Keep it as it is, would look great on someone's kitchen wall!! I like it! :clap:

cliff.kachinske
03-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Crop it. Leave about 3/4 of the yellow flower

Thank you. I don't usually paint on square format, so that might be part of my problem.

Painting is 14 X 14 in.

LavenderFrost
03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
I like it, you just need to bring out the details in the orange flowers and sign it.

Charlie's Mum
03-23-2015, 12:27 PM
I agree with Michelle - you've done alot of work on the yellow flower - good! .. bring the orange ones to almost the same state of detail - a little less allows the yellow to take centre-stage. I'd also be inclined to add either more orange shapes down left, or green leaves of a similar intensity, taking them off the edge to anchor it all.

PS - that means 'keep it!' :lol:

dmacmanus
03-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Charlie's Mum must have been reading my mind- good advice she has given! A little more color contrast or inner shading on the orange marigolds will help them "punch" and certainly adding another one or several to the bottom left (especially if part of the flower is cut off by the corner) is an excellent idea for more interesting framing. Possibly place a trace of a drop shadow atop the middle small orange marigold.

chammi kaiser
03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Definitely burn it!! I am only joking. You have done such a good painting here and it deserves to be sorted out. Really good advice from Maureen. Once you have incorporated those ideas, it will have to be framed and enjoyed. Good luck.

Andrew
03-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Definitely keep it.

Bring the orange flowers/buds to a little more refinement for certain, and pull out a little a few leaves too.

If it were me, I would work back into the main flower and play with the edges a bit. They are all a little too hard form my tastes ( in this sort of artwork), and I would soften a few up. It makes the composition stronger, but it also adds dimensionality to the flower.

Cropping a finished painting can be problematic. You could detract from the square, which is a weak format visually, by bringing in something from outside the picture frame. This could hinted at with a cast shadow or some reflected light, or just some filterd/dappled sunlight coming through the leaves, or could leave coming over and breaking the plane of the flowers.

Andrew

Sketchee
03-23-2015, 03:48 PM
Love it as it is. Lots of good suggestions in this thread already if you want to take it to another step.

Some more development on the orange and green would be my priority. Some blue shadows into the orange. I often like to find ways to put my strongest brights next to my darkest tones, that's personal preference for depth. I like the style and treatment of the yellow flower so much, it would be pretty to bring that kind of work into the orange and green. =)

PattiLou
03-23-2015, 03:48 PM
I agree, just a touch more work and it is a keeper for sure!

cliff.kachinske
03-23-2015, 05:30 PM
So many great thoughts. Thank you, everyone. :clap:

Michelle and Maureen, I agree with you on the orange flowers. Seems most everyone who'l answered agrees also.

Maureen I think you are correct about the background. The way I see the painting now is there's a lot to pull your eye away from the center of the yellow flower but nothing to help your eye take a tour of the rest of the painting and come back. Anything I do to the flowers/background has to fix that. I also think I need a better entry into the painting from bottom, so that would be the "off the edge part."

Chammi, I almost got out the matches and gasoline. :lol: Not really.

dmac, good call on the drop shadow. Has to be subtle, though. Color will be tricky, as the orange is broken and transparent and the purple underpainting shows through. Definitely a transparent layer of something cold, though.

I am very pleased that no one has told me the painting would be fine if I just painted over that hideous yellow thing. As Maureen realized, that has been the bulk of the work on this painting up till now. Or maybe I should say struggle.

Thanks again.

DMSS
03-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Sign it.

Nature2Canvas
03-24-2015, 07:21 AM
It's striking, I like it! The purple looks good with the yellow. Maybe the orange flowers could have a bit more detail.