PDA

View Full Version : M. Graham color shift?

Barbara WC
03-22-2015, 06:44 PM
I am primarily a pastel artist, and have a lot of watercolor experience, but am starting to dabble more in other paint media. Lately I've been experimenting with oils, but thought maybe I should give acrylic another look.

My acrylic experience has been with student liquitex years ago, which I didn't like, had a class 10 years ago in color theory that used Golden heavy body acrylics, much better, but acrylic dry so fast! I tried some retarder, but wasn't really thrilled with the texture of the paint. And hated the drying shift I was getting while painting!

About maybe 4 or 5 years ago, I got a few tubes of Chroma Atelier and liked them better than the Goldens, but found them versital, but a bit fussy. I tried a few tubes of Golden Open acrylics and didn't like the texture and thought the pigment load a little wimpy.

There seem to be some acrylics on the market now that I'm interested in trying.

M. Graham is one of the brands I'm interested in trying- mostly because their watercolor, and now their oils, are my favorite brand.

What is the color shift like with the M. Graham paints? do they dry much darker like the Golden heavy body?

I may pick up a few tubes of Winsor Newton artist acrylics at the local art store tomorrow to check their color shift claims.

The M. Graham I'd have to order online though, and before doing that, thought I'd ask here about color shift. I looked at reviews at Dick Blick, and most people love the texture of the M. Graham paints, but I didn't see anything about color shift mentioned.

I eventually want to paint portraits and still life with either oils or acrylic (or both). There are qualities of oils that I love, but at the same time, the long drying time can be a hassle. I used to hate the quick dry nature of acrylics, but since I've been working in pastels the past few years, I'm now thinking that quick dry nature of acrylics might be my friend. I build up my pastel paintings with layers...

Thanks.

idylbrush
03-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Of all the brands I have used, Graham is without a doubt my favorite. Great colors and texture. Unfortunately, many acrylic, by nature, will have a color shift. Some are less than others. As the water evaporates out of the base acrylic, it goes from a milky white to clear and that is the color shift. With experience, these shifts become second nature and your mind will automtically adjust. It is just a matter of experience.