PDA

View Full Version : Another Marker Pen Cityscape...

JayCeeGee
03-22-2015, 03:23 PM
... this in South Kensington, London...

Folio
03-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Very fresh ... love the red postbox! Are the verticals slanted or is it how the drawing was photographed?

ColinS
03-23-2015, 12:09 AM
Love the spontaneous feel of this. If I stood on a street in London after two glasses of wine and took off my glasses, this is just what I would see! It takes me there, to a sunny afternoon.

Jon
03-23-2015, 10:12 AM
I like the movement in this and you added just enough bright color to keep the eye dancing through the piece.

AnnieA
03-23-2015, 10:22 AM
I really love the loose quality of this piece, and the light quality as well. I used to use markers to apply the color to architectural renderings, which were by necessity pretty tight (although there was some flourish at times), so seeing you use markers in this highly expressive way is enjoyable. Very nice!

Dcam
03-23-2015, 11:21 AM
nice movement James. great linear aspects.:thumbsup:
Derek

JayCeeGee
03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
I really love the loose quality of this piece, and the light quality as well. I used to use markers to apply the color to architectural renderings, which were by necessity pretty tight (although there was some flourish at times), so seeing you use markers in this highly expressive way is enjoyable. Very nice!

Thanks - I take a few pics on my iPhone, get home and then do a quick sketch with pencil then just go for it - normally less than one hour, trying to 'express' rather than be accurate, especially with shapes not in the foreground. I really liked the different light values I saw around the pillars and stuff, so I hope I captured that aspect!

JayCeeGee
03-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Very fresh ... love the red postbox! Are the verticals slanted or is it how the drawing was photographed?
Erm, no, I just always end up curving things a bit, it just happens...

tangleweeds
03-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Erm, no, I just always end up curving things a bit, it just happens...
It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

I always love the sense of motion in these too, the way a city never quite holds still for you...

chad23
04-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks for sharing this!
You made it so realistic and alive.
It's like everything's moving on this picture!

opainter
04-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Your use of quite different techniques for painting different elements of this painting is kind of cool. The streets, sidewalks, and sky are painted using horizontal and vertical strokes. The grill work is painted in the curved manner in which it appears. The trees are painted in an entirely different manner, which I'm not able to exactly describe. And you have brought all of these different techniques together in a very convincing (and beautiful!) painting.

Bevahlee
04-23-2015, 04:43 PM
aw this is nice. Makes me think of a Sargent

Artchrispy
04-25-2015, 07:51 AM
The word that popped to mind was 'fresh' before I saw the first response.

DMSS
04-25-2015, 08:55 AM
This reminds me of Walton Street. Is it? Either way, a very fine painting.