PDA

View Full Version : US Navy P-3C Orion, circa 1970's

JATART
03-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys! :wave:

I just finished a painting of a P-3C of Patrol Squadron VP 8, tracking a USSR Victor III class submarine in the 1970's. The work is 18 X 24 inches, acrylic on canvas.

All comments are very welcome!
Jim T.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2015/90846-p-3c_wc.jpg

vegaskip
03-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Nice painting, thanks for sharing.
Jim

NeilF92
03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
A good painting - the aircraft looks fine . I'm not too sure of the perspective of the sub /sea . You could well have it right though knowing my perception of perspective!
Overall the painting works well .

JATART
03-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Thanks Jim, I appeciate your kind words!

JATART
03-21-2015, 06:47 PM
A good painting - the aircraft looks fine . I'm not too sure of the perspective of the sub /sea . You could well have it right though knowing my perception of perspective!
Overall the painting works well .

Hi Neil!

Thanks for your support! The perspective is supposed to be based on a height above the water of about 150 feet, and I intended the viewing angle to be as if you looking back from an aircraft slightly ahead of the P-3, also in a left hand banked turn, hence the tilted and raised horizon. Hope this helps!

Thanks again!
Jim

Chas McHugh
03-21-2015, 08:12 PM
A very nice painting.

What would I have done different?

It appears that you have created your tints with a strong white alone (Titanium?). This erases an opportunity to reserve pure white for highlights. I would recomend you adopt using whites as a mixer inclusive of a little Raw Umber (others will do) to take the power of the white out. A study of the actual cloudscape outside your home tomorrow will reveal almost no pure white for example.

The other thing I would have done (contious of the smoke that Allison engines make) is a glazed gesture of the flightpath based on the sooty exhaust fumes held in the air.

You have every right to be justifiably proud of this achievement.

JATART
03-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Hi Chas!

Thank you so much, and really good pointers! True, I think I overdid the pure white in this one. Great idea to use raw umber, I'll try that on my next work.

Thanks again!
Jim

Shamrock15
03-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Nice looking piece. Needs the good old Canadian lightning bolt down the side though. Ours looked better!

Trumper
03-22-2015, 05:55 PM
I love the way you just get the sense and shape of the nose of the sub under the water,just that sinister suggestion :) oh and the rest of it :)

JATART
03-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Nice looking piece. Needs the good old Canadian lightning bolt down the side though. Ours looked better!

Ahhh, I must admit, True! In the 70's I was a controller in the Tower at Lajes Field in the Azores (VP-8's deployed station), and we also had the old RCAF CP-107 Argus' assigned for ASW work. Now THERE was a beauty! The sound of those radials was something special! :thumbsup: Here's a blast from the past for you:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2015/90846-Argus53.jpg

Thanks for your comments!
Jim

JATART
03-23-2015, 09:38 AM
I love the way you just get the sense and shape of the nose of the sub under the water,just that sinister suggestion :) oh and the rest of it :)

Hi Trumper!

Thank you so much! The sub was one of the things I struggled with, I looked at hundreds of photos, and finally decided to just draw what I had in my head.:lol:

Thanks again!
Jim

Gray539
03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
I like the angle you've used on the plane, JATART.

JATART
03-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Thanks Grey!

I do try to spend considerable time figuring out the composition before I start painting.

Thanks again!
Jim