PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing

purplepansey
03-21-2015, 11:53 AM
From a ref. photo in RIL is the source of my painting. She contributes loads of photos to that site and this is one of her. I love the pose of complete relaxation and comfort and really enjoyed painting her. Hope she is recognizable. I wish the photo image was sharper !
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2015/52562-Just_Relaxing.jpg

LavenderFrost
03-21-2015, 12:57 PM
I haven't seen the photo but I think it looks pretty good. I do think the colouring on her face should be a bit smoother though.

purplepansey
03-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Michelle I had a hard time painting this one as I used a linen covered canvas board from Michaels and didn't realize it wasn't primed and the surface was very rough to paint on. To be sure I won't be using those again. Thanks for your input.

edtree
03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Purple, you are right...you have painted so well her relaxed pose, which involved some tricky foreshortening (to which you rose splendidly to the challenge!) I am in admiration to anyone who attempts portraits, and especially to artist's who get so much right - pose - color - expression - likeness - composition - as you did in this piece.

Great job!

Elizabeth

opainter
03-24-2015, 08:57 PM
To me, the coloring of the face looks fine because it is consistent with the rest of the painting.

You want a rough surface from Michaels? Try their "burlap" canvas. Unprimed.

For the sake of full disclosure, I have not tried their "burlap" canvas. They may have had some trouble selling unprimed burlap to sophisticated artists such as ourselves, which is why they have begun to coat them with gesso. About two inches inside the edges of the burlap!!!

purplepansey
03-25-2015, 06:32 PM
Thank you Elizabeth for the nice comments on my painting and thank AJ for your input too. I've not seen burlap at Michaels but after using the unprimed linen I don't think I'd like to try burlap. Again, thanks to both for taking time to comment, most appreciated. shrl

ColinS
03-26-2015, 01:20 AM
Nice portrait, Purple. There is a real sense of the subject being present, that's a great accomplishment.

Charlie's Mum
03-26-2015, 09:15 AM
You've portrayed the relaxed pose well Purple ....... and I recognise her too ........ Oldrockchick - aka Lin - and if you like to add the link to the RIL ref, I'll add the acknowledgement to your first post.:)

purplepansey
03-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you Colin for the pleasing comment, made me feel good as so few commented I was beginning to think it wasn't a very good painting.
Thank you Maureen, I will add it to the ref. picture and thanks for telling me and also that you recongnized Lin.