PDA

View Full Version : Three Right Curves

Trier
03-17-2015, 11:54 AM
all 16x20 acrylic/paper

This first Middle Age river town picture was the inspiration for the others here and some more.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2015/89990-DSCN0176ObsessaWC.JPG

First try at cubism, sorta.
Take The Yellow Line To Cube City
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2015/89990-DSCN0186YelLineCuberM1WC.JPG

To Lake Shore Towers
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Mar-2015/89990-DSCN0190Shore_TwrsAbsWCJPG.jpg
I think I may explore cubism a little more.

C&C
Regards,
Trier

AnnieA
03-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I like the first one - the energy of it and something about the mountains is very pleasing. The red roofs work to move the eye around in the painting. But i don't understand the cubism comment about the second two. How do they represent cubism?

Trier
03-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Thank you, AnnieA for your interest and critique. Your website has works of a quality that is inspirational to me. This is how I learn.

The second one, 'Take Yellow Line To Cube City', looked kinda cubist to my uneducated eye after viewing a Braque painting on Wikipedia;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2015/89990-CubeBraqueWC.jpg
my idea was to lay the curve and big bldgs on a cubist design to see if it generated anything of interest. I know Braque's work was a precursor of cubism. Looks to me like this is in the neighborhood, so I would like to learn why it is not.

Regard,
Trier

AnnieA
03-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Hi Trier,

First, thanks for your kind comments about my work. I didn't mean to be critical of what you were doing, but I just didn't understand. It's been a very long since art history class, but I seem to recall that the idea of cubism was that objects were shown from several different vantage points simultaneously..

...OK, you got me curious and I looked up the wiki on cubism (http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubism) and here is what it says:

In Cubist artwork, objects are analyzed, broken up and reassembled in an abstracted form—instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context.[6].

So, looks like I remembered a part of it. So was that what you were doing in your paintings? As I look at them again, maybe so. But, either way, that's not a criticism of the paintings themselves.

Aussiesrus1
03-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Very nice Trier - Full of expression captured in your bold brushstrokes, interesting shapes & harmonious colors - Delightful !

Michael.

Trier
03-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi Annie,

Thank you very much for your continued interest. As a self-taught art student, I am very fortunate to have the attention and critiques of an artist of your caliber. I will learn more from an honest analysis and commentary such as yours, than from any other source I can think of; please continue, and call it as you see it.

Regards,
Trier

AnnieA
03-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Thank you very much for your continued interest. As a self-taught art student, I am very fortunate to have the attention and critiques of an artist of your caliber. I will learn more from an honest analysis and commentary such as yours, than from any other source I can think of; please continue, and call it as you see it.

Well, I'm very flattered by that, Trier, but I'm pretty much a beginner as well. I have a design background but not a painting background. I think you're doing fine on your own - whether or not the paintings in question are true "cubism" they're interesting and painted with a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

I'll probably continue to "call it as I see it," because that's just how I am (analytical), but my impressions are just one person looking at your work and not definitive in any way. Others will look at it and have a different reaction and those differences are what makes life interesting. :)

And, - I just want to say it again - I was asking a sort of technical question that I didn't know the answer to, not making a critique of your work.

Dcam
03-20-2015, 03:31 PM
hey buddy:
Your paintings are maturing and show a real confidence in your exploration of this personal style. These are great my Friend.
Derek

bhavani.krishnan
03-21-2015, 03:23 AM
Your paintings are maturing and show a real confidence in your exploration of this personal style.
Derek
I agree.. Love these new explorations.

Folio
03-25-2015, 12:04 AM
The first one reminds me a little of Chagall. The two yellow ones are more abstracted which I also like.

Trier
03-27-2015, 09:57 PM
Michael - Thanks for keeping up and the helpful comments. Hope you guys don't get the kind of winter we had.

Thank you sincerely Annie!

Hey Derek - Thanks for your encouraging words! Appreciated as always.

Bhavani, I don't get a chance to comment on your paintings as often as I would like, but I admire the professional technique you are developing and the quiet beauty that I see. Thanks for your kind comment.

Thank you very much, Mary. You are another whose quiet beauties I admire.

Regards,
Trier