PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Medium Substitute?

nick_hemstreet
03-15-2015, 09:26 PM
Does this Behr Faux glaze work as an acrylic medium? I am looking to use it to seal and mix with gesso to put on my panels before painting with oils. Read an article by Marc Hanson (I don't know if I can tag a user on the forum on here) about using acrylic medium. I found this at home depot and was way cheaper than golden acrylic medium at an art store. Looks like it is used for pretty much the same purpose. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Prem...4804/100023057

cliff.kachinske
03-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Never used it, but this touched my curiosity bump. A little Googling led me to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for this product. It contains zero, not one drop, none at all acrylic resin.

I wouldn't mess with it.

Keith Mayberry
03-18-2015, 12:16 AM
I will try some. I feel it is worth a shot.

Keith in Colorado

cliff.kachinske
03-18-2015, 09:17 AM
I want to make paintings that people will value long after I'm gone. That's why I don't use house paint any more.

George Servais
03-18-2015, 07:26 PM
Please don't. It is a bad practice to use home center paints and their additives. There is a world of difference between artist paints and house paints. There is always the danger of film failure.

old_hobbyist
03-18-2015, 11:47 PM
There is a world of difference between artist paints and house paints.
I guess I don't understand this comment. I just checked the MSDS on Benjamin Moore Latex Interior Semi-Gloss house paint. Here's what it lists as hazardous chemicals
Titanium Dioxide 30% by wt
Kaolin 10% by wt
Amorphous silica 5% by wt

Now Kaolin is better known as clay. Not normally toxic except perhaps to potters. And what about amorphous silica. It's used in toothpaste and ice cream as a thickening agent. Probably not that toxic. That leaves Titanium Dioxide. What about it?
The MSDS indicates that Titanium Dioxide is listed on OSHA as a "possible human carcinogen." Wow! and again WOW! So that must be the world of difference, right?
Of course we would never use titanium dioxide in any of our paints - like gesso, and tit white, and on and on and on. Hey folks, it's a standard opacifier in all but the very transparent of our paints.
So where is this "world of difference"?

nick_hemstreet
03-19-2015, 11:49 AM
I discovered that Liquitex Matte Medium is about the same price at my local art supply store. I just went that route instead.

Charlie's Mum
03-19-2015, 12:02 PM
About 10 years ago some of us tried using PVA as a medium for extending the paints - an experiment.
The painting I did is still fine, no deterioration in colour or texture or adhesion.

PVA is a glue (http://www.bakerross.co.uk/washable-pva-glue-1?gclid=CMqn9Y_ktMQCFeHItAodsDgAyQ), white, dries clear - used in craft projects and as a wood glue ....... various qualities ..... a better/more expensive one is Evostick.
It does tend to be tacky but added water is OK.

I haven't used it again but would if I had to ............. as to longevity of my paintings, when I 'pop my clogs' I won't care what happens to them!:lol: .. if the family can't sell them or give them away then they can bin them .. I won't be here!:lol:

cliff.kachinske
03-19-2015, 04:04 PM
pop my clogs

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That was so funny I almost flipped my grommets.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Or was it "toasted my holsters?" I forget now.