PDA

View Full Version : Great Books on watercolor (update)

Uubald
06-14-2000, 12:09 AM
First, and absoutely interesting and clear!

Painting People in Watercolor: a design approach, by Alex Powers.
Watson-Gupill Publications, New York
ISBN 0-8230-3816-5

Now that's a book to have! That guy has clearly defined every single aspect of his design approach to
watercolor painting. He was a computyer programmer before, so he had the logic and method to help him.
It works!
I've been reading his book for a week now, when I can find the time, and everyday I learn something
incredible about the way I work, and why it seems to fail sometimes. He's also a teacher. I wish I lived in
his area, to take classes live.
I would reccommend this book to any artist interested in making his or her pictures work, in any style. By
far the clearest book I have ever read on any technical and intellectual aspect of artmaking. His approach is
applicable to all form of drawing and painting. He says design, and I would add easy!
Hope you find the Powers Book. It's worth a lot more than money. It's a book I really have to buy. ( I
borrowed the book from my universitie's library).

Other very good book:
A Wash In Color: Homer, Sargent, and the great American Watercolor.By Sue Welsh Reed and Carol
TRoyen, the Museum Of Fine Arts, Boston.
Bulfinch Press- Little, Brown and Company.
ISBN: 0-8212-2619-3 (in 2000,trade paperback edition

A lot (127) of artists in watercolor, history, even techniques are discussed. Very complete.
Very Good color pictures, as I can actually see good contrast!
I paid it 55$ canadian, but I bought it in a museum, so it's probably cheaper elsewhere...

The Art of Hollie Hobbie
Drawing on affection

A wonderful book filled with love, sweet memories, experience and life lessons for artists, and, of course, watercolor.
A must for the sentimentals.

First, and absoutely interesting and clear!

Painting People in Watercolor, by Alex Powers.
Watson-Gupill Publications, New York
ISBN 0-8230-3816-5

Now that's a book to have! That guy has clearly defined every single aspect of his design approach to
watercolor painting. He was a computyer programmer before, so he had the logic and method to help him.
It works!
I've been reading his book for a week now, when I can find the time, and everyday I learn something
incredible about the way I work, and why it seems to fail sometimes. He's also a teacher. I wish I lived in
his area, to take classes live.
I would reccommend this book to any artist interested in making his or her pictures work, in any style. By
far the clearest book I have ever read on any technical and intellectual aspect of artmaking. His approach is
applicable to all form of drawing and painting. He says design, and I would add easy!
Hope you find the Powers Book. It's worth a lot more than money. It's a book I really have to buy. ( I
borrowed the book from my universitie's library).

Other very good book:
A Wash In Color: Homer, Sargent, and the great American Watercolor.By Sue Welsh Reed and Carol
TRoyen, the Museum Of Fine Arts, Boston.
Bulfinch Press- Little, Brown and Company.
ISBN: 0-8212-2619-3 (in 2000,trade paperback edition

A lot (127) of artists in watercolor, history, even techniques are discussed. Very complete.
Very Good color pictures, as I can actually see good contrast!
I paid it 55$ canadian, but I bought it in a museum, so it's probably cheaper elsewhere...

Watercolor is my only hobby outside of my job. I am very passionate about it. I can't stop thinking about
all kinds of projects!
I think this time I really found MY medium...Oils are great, but I cant' stand the smell and toxicity and
inconvenience of it all...

Have fun. In fact, let's all have fun!

-Uubald