PDA

View Full Version : A seascape, some flowers, C&C welcome

cliff.kachinske
03-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Thank you for looking. I hope you find these enjoyable.

Thought I would try a seascape, never done one before. 16X20 canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2015/1965263-seascape.jpg

I may develop this one a bit more, but I hate to lose the immediacy of those big brush strokes.

I apologize for the glare on the upper right corner. I used a lot of gloss medium. The whole thing is glazed over a warm purple underpainting. 14X14 canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2015/1965263-flowers.jpg

Fox_eNova
03-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Waves are done well, good color! Great work!

Charlie's Mum
03-13-2015, 05:54 PM
I like the seascape Cliff! The gentle movement of the waves and crests is lovely!

The flowers - it's OK to paint over the edges when doing the b/g, then build up the colour and form of the petals ....... because these are close-ups, they do need rather more form, light and shade.:)

bluefish
03-13-2015, 06:47 PM
that seascape is very well done....especially the sand area....very nice work....you should do more seascapes.....:thumbsup:

ColinS
03-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Really beautiful seascape, Cliff. Maureen has offered good advice about the flowers.

LavenderFrost
03-14-2015, 12:03 PM
The seascape is wonderful!

The flowers have some great colours. I agree with Maureen's advice.

chad23
03-14-2015, 01:22 PM
seascape is very good: wave crests are painted smoothly and colors are beautiful.

cinderblockstudios
03-15-2015, 01:43 AM
Not bad. I see some very nice painted areas and your use of color is very good! However, your missing some darker values in both of them.

EnPassant
03-15-2015, 05:51 AM
I like the seascape but the background of the flowers is very dark. It might make it look like the flowers are stuck on if you make it too dark.

cliff.kachinske
03-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Eric, thank you.

Maureen, point taken on the flowers. You are always tough but fair, Mum. Thank you.:thumbsup: :)

Blue, thanks. I'll have to get more references because the nearest big water is six hours away, Atlantic or Gulf. By the way I about tore my hair out getting the colors of the sand right so I'm glad you like it.

Colin, thank you for the kind comment. I repeat, Mum is always tough but fair. :lol:

Michelle, I am pleased that you like the seascape. Thanks for commenting.

Chad23, thank you for taking the time.

EnPassant, I'm glad you like the seascape. Thank you for the warning on the flower pic. As I develop the painting I may suggest some lighter foliage in the background. I won't make it any darker.

Cinderblock, Thank you for calling my attention to the dark values. The darkest part of the horizon line in the seascape comes in around a value two when I check the painting against a value finder. In the digital image they come in around a value four. So the value range in the painting is really pretty wide, ~2 to 10. Were it a monochrome painting or B&W foto I would certainly chase some darker values but for a color image I think it's sufficient.

chammi kaiser
03-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Cliff - great colours in the seascape. Good advice from Maureen regarding the flowers. I like the shapes and energy of the background.

cliff.kachinske
03-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Chammi, thanks. I'm working on the flowers today. The big blossom went right from "interesting but underdeveloped" to "ugly phase." So, more layers. Acrylic is all about layers, right?