PDA

View Full Version : Paint question

janjanssen
03-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Hi!

My name is Simon and I became a member of this forum in the hope to benefit from the experience of the users. :)
My question is as follows: I'm looking for a paint that dries quickly, leaves no brushmarks and is opaque in the first layer.
I'm using acrylics now, but I don't like the visible brushstrokes and the fact that I have to paint some layers twice if I go over an other color because I then lose the sharp edge of the form I paint, and also the paint ridges that show underneath.
I already know about Maimeri Polycolor through this forum, but I read conflicting about it, some say it's opaque, and other that it isn't.
I hope this isn't a very strange question. :)

Simon

EnPassant
03-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Tempera?

Charlie's Mum
03-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Sorry simon but it's difficult to get a flat layer without using a number of layers!
All colours are not the same degree of transparency/opacity.
Thinner layers will show the brushmarks less.

You could try the Golden Opens or the Atelier Interactives, both have a longer opening/useable time, but they don't dry quickly!

Try a colour which has high opacity (should be marked on the tube), keep the surface damp (have a spray handy) so the paint stays workable and using plenty of paint, use a side to side, back and forth stroke to keep it smooth and worked in.
All you can do is try!:)

cliff.kachinske
03-12-2015, 10:27 PM
What Charlie's Mum said, plus a bit: soft body paints will build less texture and they have the advantage of being full strength. You can also add gloss medium to your paints, but the paint becomes slightly more transparent.

The mineral pigments are more opaque than the modern synthetics. You can download The Acrylic Book from Liquitex's web site and learn about the differences. Liquitex even recommends a basic palette for mineral pigments.

LavenderFrost
03-13-2015, 11:27 AM
My question is as follows: I'm looking for a paint that dries quickly, leaves no brushmarks and is opaque in the first layer.

Digital. :rolleyes: I know, probably not what you're looking for.

cinderblockstudios
03-14-2015, 01:57 AM
hrm, never heard of that kind of paint before. Keep in mind though that the texture of the finished paint has to do not only with the paint, but with your brushes and your surface. In particular stiff bristled brushes will leave more brush strokes than a synthetic soft haired brush.

idylbrush
03-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Have you considered acrylic gouache?

janjanssen
03-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies! :-)
I have considered acrylic gouache, but they don't seem to sell it where I live (the Netherlands). I'm now considering Lascaux Studio, L&B Flashe or Maimeri Polycolor as an alternative, but I don't know which of them will suit my needs the best...

cliff.kachinske
03-14-2015, 11:58 AM
There is one other ingredient. You must acquire this, but you cannot acquire it in a store or over the internet. You can only get it through practice. It is technique.

Sometime you might find it interesting, even enjoyable, to see what happens if you barely load the brush and barely touch the surface with it; or with the same brush scrub the paint into the surface. See what happens if you load the brush heavily and make a long stroke with it. Twirl the brush during your stroke, roll it sideways across the surface, turn it in a circle, paint with the flat surface, paint with the edge, paint with the tip, load it with two colors and try all of the above and more.

Try this on scraps or failed paintings or the back of your panel or anything that will take paint.

Do this not with any specific goal in mind, just to see what happens.

You may even find it fun.