PDA

View Full Version : Spring on First Avenue - could use feedback

AnnieA
03-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone! This is a small (8x10) painting that I started several years ago, and that sat on my easel for nearly a year, untouched. It's almost done, but needs some tweaking. I'm aware a a few areas needing further work - streetlight pole needs a shadow, windows on the sunny side need reflections, foliage above the car needs to be pushed much further into the background, and the lower right turret window looks a little wonky - but there may be other things I don't see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2015/85002-DSCN8124_REV_SCALE.JPG

I'm really pretty new to oil painting in general (although I've done artwork in other media), and this is one of the first cityscape I've ever attempted, and the very first one in oil. I could use some help. I love the painterly style, and I think I managed to achieve that in the figures, but not so much in the building, which is more detailed and tight. I was thinking that painting this scene at a larger scale would have worked better for the building, but then would the figures, if painted with the same looseness, look odd? I'm thinking it might be difficult to paint them with such a minimum of detail at a larger scale.

Any other impressions or thoughts on what I could do to improve this painting, or to improve my oils in general, would be appreciated!

Folio
03-12-2015, 05:02 PM
I like it as it is. The verticals on the lower right turret window might be off by a whisker but if that's fixed it would be fine. I love the figures and also the leafiness at upper left and the contrast lower right. Also the "Inn" sign, it's nice and solid and chunky. Nice painting!

AnnieA
03-12-2015, 05:06 PM
I like it as it is. The verticals on the lower right turret window might be off by a whisker but if that's fixed it would be fine. I love the figures and also the leafiness at upper left and the contrast lower right. Also the "Inn" sign, it's nice and solid and chunky. Nice painting!

Hey, thanks Mary! I had hoped for a moment that the off-kilter verticals in the turret windows were just in the photo, but I just checked and no such luck. So I do need to fix that. To be honest, the idea that it might be done is hard to wrap my head around! I appreciate the feedback. :)

Dcam
03-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Annie: can you go bigger? really small on my screen.:)

AnnieA
03-13-2015, 02:42 AM
Annie: can you go bigger? really small on my screen.:)

Sure, Derek...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2015/85002-First_Avenue_Spring.jpg

As always, the color is off - the photo shows it as a little greener than IRL. And there's a little glare at the trees - it may be retouch varnish. The trees and the upper part of the shady side of the building - well, everywhere you see the lighter glare - in general are actually much darker in value.

It still may not be a photo that does the painting itself justice. I'll try to shoot a better one outside tomorrow, after I do a couple needed revisions.

Dcam
03-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Annie: This is very nice. I love the way you do people. Great composition as well.
Did you varnish first and shoot later? Always good to photo the work and then coat it. Also if you tilt the painting just a tad forward, you can avoid some glare. I like it Annie.
sent you a PM by the way:wave:
Derek

AnnieA
03-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Annie: This is very nice. I love the way you do people. Great composition as well.
Did you varnish first and shoot later? Always good to photo the work and then coat it. Also if you tilt the painting just a tad forward, you can avoid some glare. I like it Annie.
sent you a PM by the way:wave:
Derek

Thanks, Derek! It's a little bit of a surprise to read "the way you do people," since there was really only one other painting - in oil pastels - in which I painted them this way. But I like that phrase and I'm going to own it! :D

Yes, I think I put some retouch varnish on there; it's been untouched for so long that it may just have been an experiment with medium, which I'm only beginnning to use. Thanks for the photo tips; I'll have to try the tilting forward method. Again, thanks for the positive comments on my painting.

I said I would work further on this, but I'm debating with myself about that now,. Based on what Mary said and the fact that I let it sit for so long, I may call this done and do a larger version later. I think I need forward momentum.

AnnieA
03-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Thinking this was done, I tried it out in a frame, but found the right side had not been painted out far enough toward the edge. So since I had to make changes anyway, I fiddled with the whole thing a little more. I made the cap on the right-most figure a little brighter red, put more definition in the foliage, shadow on the lamp post, and reflection in the sunny side windows of the turret. Those reflections didn't turn out so well, but even so, I think this is finished.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2015/85002-First_Ave_DSCN9345.jpg

Trikist
03-13-2015, 09:27 PM
This a good, fun painting to view. It is great that you include people, really finishes the painting. Gary

ColinS
03-14-2015, 12:28 AM
I like this. I might be inclined to add a dash of bright reflected light on the glass globes of the streetlight as the sunlight seems pretty intense. They just don't seem as bright as some of the other light reflective surfaces and I think it would sparkle up that quarter of the painting.

AnnieA
03-14-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks, Colin! I'm not certain I really am emotionally able to do anything more to this. I really need ot move on.

But here's my reference photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2015/85002-85002-DSCN7116_Virginia_Inn_ORIG_REV_SCALE.jpg

I had them lighter at one point, but I didn't want people's eyes to stop there. The glass globes are kinda frosted-looking, so I think they're probably OK, especially relative to the rest of the painting.

So what do you think?

Cerastes
03-14-2015, 10:25 AM
It's not wonky it's 'painterly'. Don't lose all the spontaneity! Nice painting as-is, interesting the way everyone is wearing faded blue jeans.

AnnieA
03-14-2015, 10:34 PM
Hey, Cerastes! Thanks a lot! That's what I was going for so the feedback is especially appreciated! :) And, yeah, I thought it was kinda odd about the blue jeans too.

bhavani.krishnan
03-16-2015, 07:22 PM
Annie. This is very good. I like how you cropped the scene and you have nice light and shadow going on. I too like the way you did the people :). Good job! The only advice I will give is to keep painting!

Katie Black
03-16-2015, 09:53 PM
I really think this is a successful painting. I was going to suggest a strong splash of red somewhere and then you made his cap a brighter red..I think its great, more so that it is one of your first cityscapes. I think your going to be naturally good at them Ha ha!

AnnieA
03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Bhavani and Katie: Many thanks! I really appreciate the feedback and encouragement, especially since I really love the painting styles of both of you.

Fox_eNova
04-12-2015, 12:11 AM
You could muddle over all the sharp edges and corners.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2015/1714334-walk.jpg

Dcam
04-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Success Annie.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Derek

Trier
04-12-2015, 11:36 PM
I would gladly help Annie, but I can't see anything that needs helping..It is a very enjoyable painting right now IMHO, so I hope it doesn't get changed.

Regards,
Trier

chad23
04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for sharing, Annie!

Excellent work! You brought an amazing atmoshpere to your painting!:thumbsup:

AnnieA
04-13-2015, 11:51 PM
Eric, Nah, this one's done. Thanks for the feedback, though.

Derek, Trier and Chad: Wow...thank you all very much! :)

Artchrispy
04-25-2015, 07:27 AM
I think this is fantastic Annie! It looks like one of those new impressionist cityscapes you see in the magazines by the likes of Ken Auster or Scott W Prior. Love the cluster of figures. Everything works in this one. Well done!

AnnieA
05-04-2015, 08:50 PM
I think this is fantastic Annie! It looks like one of those new impressionist cityscapes you see in the magazines by the likes of Ken Auster or Scott W Prior. Love the cluster of figures. Everything works in this one. Well done!
Hey, Chris, I don't know how I missed your comment earlier. My apologies. Ken Auster...wow. You sure know how to flatter a girl! :D

In all seriousness, I really am very flattered. Ken Auster is a master. Would that I could be that good...but I'll gladly accept the compliment anyway. Thanks, Chris!