PDA

View Full Version : Flowers in a vase

NorahT
07-02-2001, 10:08 AM
I look through my Charles Reid books when I want to nourish my soul :)

This is my attempt this past weekend:

ameliajordan
07-02-2001, 10:24 AM
I agree about Charles Reid. I have watched his videos also and they make it look so easy and natural - not for me - oh well. Your shadow shape is a super shape and draws my eye there.

Javier
07-02-2001, 12:04 PM
NorahT, I have Charles Reid's books. Do you think if I sent him an email message he might send me the ability paint some of his stuff? :)

Your painting, 'Flowers in a Vase' is a beautiful floral scene. One to be proud of for sure.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

j

NorahT
07-02-2001, 02:04 PM
Thank you Javier for your kind comments. I have been through a bit of a dry spell lately, but I think this one might be a "framer".

If Charles Reid is handing out ability, then I am right behind you in the line-up :)

NorahT
07-02-2001, 02:17 PM
Hi Amelia, Nice to meet another Charles Reid fan. Haven't come across his videos yet - a treat in store:)

TeAnne
07-02-2001, 08:33 PM
Nice work :D Who is Charles Reid? Does he have a website?

NorahT
07-02-2001, 10:43 PM
Hi TeAnne, Charles Reid is an American artist known for his loose style in water colours. He does have a website (www.charlesreid.org) which puts you through to his gallery and gives a short biography.

He also paints lovely nudes in the same loose style. Try www.artnet.com and click on artists index for a couple of examples. Other than this I have been unable to find much about him or his work on the net.

Rod
07-03-2001, 04:43 AM
Great flower painting, love your lost edges.
I too am a fan of Charles reid, watched his videos on portraits
and thoroughly enjoyed,
Rod.

Rosebud
07-03-2001, 06:11 AM
Nice:clap:

Love that loose style.
I had a detail/realism/photo-like watercolor teacher. I'm trying to work on letting it flow :)

I'ld frame that one !

Rose

ameliajordan
07-03-2001, 09:35 AM
In his book, Reid says he doesn't believe in a focal point but areas of interest all over the page. He rather leads your eye from interesting area to interesting area. Of course, he's really good. btw, a friend took one of his expensive workshops and he doesn't critique everyones work but only that of a few in the class. She said it was a treat to watch him paint but a lot of money for no instruction or critique.

Rosebud
07-03-2001, 10:29 AM
I have his new book "Painting Flowers in Watercolor".
Love his style...."Keep it simple". Hard to do when you've learned to focus on details !!

I'm working on a pot of flowers now.

How about a "FLOWERS IN A VASE" project ??

Anyone interested ?

Rose

NorahT
07-03-2001, 12:04 PM
Amelia - thanks for the heads up about the workshops. I had thought that if Charles Reid every strayed up into Canada I would love to attend one of his workshops, but knowing that he does not critique the work of all the participants, I would think twice.

Rosebud - I too have his new book - and have tried some of the exercises, but it is not as easy as it looks:) I have one of his out-of-print books on order from Alibris (www.alibris.com); they have a great selection of second-hand watercolor books.

I would be interested in a pot of flowers project, although I am still not sure quite how the projects work or what the exact aim is! I have a pot of pink african violets blooming on my windowsill which would fill the bill.

Rosebud
07-03-2001, 05:49 PM
Norah,

Go over and look at "new project guidelines" under Community.
Sounds like fun. Go for it !
Let us know if you decide to start it. I've got my "Flowers in a Vase" finished and ready to post !

:D

Rose

NorahT
07-03-2001, 06:55 PM
Rosebud - :) It was your suggestion:) I would need to be a lot more certain of the aims, etc. before I would initiate anything.

Rosebud
07-04-2001, 12:25 PM
Norah,

Did you go over and look at projects ?

My understanding is...it's just starting a theme and letting everyone display their interpretation in a gallery.

I don't want to "steal" your theme (Flowers in a vase).

:o
Rose

NorahT
07-04-2001, 01:40 PM
:) Go ahead and steal :) Flowers in a vase or pot is a favourite subject with many artists - it should make a good project.