PDA

View Full Version : question about dry brush

basalsa
03-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Hi folks
I saw some videos on dry brushing technique and got two questions about it, first is that they put paint on a napkin and it absorbs the oil and apply paint with almost a 'dry' brush :D but is the final work have the characteristics of a normal oil painting in matter of drying oil and lifetime?
And second one, is this technique can be used for the grisaille or value layer in glazing?
Thanks in advance for great responses.

Patrick1
03-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Dry-brush is one style of thin paint application, so I would expect it to dry faster than thicker, more 'regular' brush strokes. Maybe with less oil it would be more underbound and a bit more prone to abrasion? I dunno. But dry brush/scumbling is a very common technique in oils and also acrylics. If it gives you the look you want, I dont see why not to use it. And yes I think it would be ideal for grisaille/value underpaiting in oils. Most people actually want the underpaiting to be thin, lean, and fast-drying.

jorri
03-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I've generally heard the term scumbling over flat surfaces.

But dry brushing as a model-painting term that is to highlight relief on 3d objects to give an illusion of depth and bring out the physical surface. I used to do this over impasto or heavy marks in acrylics.

In oils does that not go against the thick over thin rule? Is that rule actually that important always, many glaze over impasto as an effect too.