PDA

View Full Version : Psychological Impact of Colors

ilanag3
03-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a large abstract painting with fluid acrylics, but I'm not sure what colors I want to use. I know that I want my finished work to be really dramatic (in a darker, intense way, not in a super happy way). So on a psychological standpoint, which colors should I consider? Thanks so much!

red81king
03-06-2015, 01:04 PM
The application is just as dependent on actual colour. Also Colour combinations is just as important as colour. Colour saturation matters. Also Colour association is built around the knowledge of the viewer and knowledge of colour matters. So to say just any colour would be to difficult and probably irrelevant. But if it was in context then it would be easier to say. Example Red worn on the opposite sex has a well known emotional reaction on a oppiste sex due hypothetically that blushes is the colour of a positive physical emotional reaction. Black and Red are power colours... I just saw a commercial about how a truck can make a man sexier. this is a setup commercial. Notice the difference in colour of vehicles. It is manipulated research. Also there is lots research on womens preference in men differ by the type of men but that is a completely different blog. Here is the commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzP2yzrKl28

Research in colour preferences shows colour is preferred through the knowledge of ones built environment. Example preference for blue is due to a persons concept of blue which is built through implicit memory. So the context the colour is presented matters.

Biologically colour is seen through the eyes in two process, trichromatic and opponent process then moves to the LGN and the occipital lobe but then vision splits into two pathways. 1. the what pathway and the Where pathway. Colour ONLY follows the what pathway to the temporal lobe. One can create a direct channel from the what pathway to the amygdala which will create a emotional reaction. This means at its very core, what is being seen matters!. and in context of where differs. unless we are talking at a different level in the colour system like opponent process. Which is complementary colours which is contrast which if we are talking about just colour differs from actual contrast colour. There is much more to this but I just want to try and convey through knowledge, contrast, hue, saturation, tone all work together to create an emotional response that is not just colour dependent and the viewer knowledge differs from persons and what is being viewed matters.

I think I m getting off topic from just the core topic of colour, Anyways hope some of this helps, there is more about psychology of colour. I also recommend checking out mark rothco, who is well known to have an emotional reaction on viewers through simple form and colour. He is well known to use the burn technique in creating this effect in conjunction with colour

red81king
03-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Although the burn technique is used with oils, I dunno how how you would use acrylics with this.

opainter
03-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Although the burn technique is used with oils, I dunno how how you would use acrylics with this.
Rothko used turpentine to do this technique with oils, so one ought to be able to do something similar with the use of acrylic medium (maybe just water?) with acrylics. :thumbsup: or :confused:.

opainter
03-06-2015, 11:15 PM
Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a large abstract painting with fluid acrylics, but I'm not sure what colors I want to use. I know that I want my finished work to be really dramatic (in a darker, intense way, not in a super happy way). So on a psychological standpoint, which colors should I consider? Thanks so much!
Would you just like the suggestion of several colors that might give you something dramatic? Okay, I'll suggest several that could be used together nicely. Whether or not you agree! Here they are: medium red, dark red (i.e., medium red with black added), bright sunshine yellow (bright yellow with a slight reddish cast), yellow ochre, and, finally, to bring it all together, a little light cerulean turquoise.

I hope some others chime in here with their own color ideas, as there is plenty of room for opinion!

red81king
03-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Here are two artist that I really like that I feel have an emotional impact with the use of colour on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiWvvJcmvJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF6EluMNR14

DaveCrow
03-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Deep red, the colour of blood provokes a strong response, as does the pairing of yellow and black. Both trigger instinctive warnings of danger.

There is lots of information available on colour psychology, colour and mood etc.

red81king
03-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Here are some vids on colour and the effects of colour from the environment (context matters in usage though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THTKv6dT8rU

This video explains what I was trying to convey earlier in context of knowledge (culture)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX0DHd5QNS8

jorri
03-12-2015, 12:06 PM
Yellow makes people submissive and passive, it was used in interrogation/torture as yellow lights filling the room. Interestingly most homes are pretty yellow magnolia/tungsten lit.

Bruce nauman made installations about that.

colour combinations are pretty important. Nothing like the interaction of opposites to create visual shimmering, or tricking the viewer into thinking a grey is a green by putting orange next to it for example, there's something in those optical effects. Others i've heard of include making people see non-existant colours (not sure if possible in a painting), but heavily alternating red-green, reports a stimulated imaginary colour of 'red-green' that doesn't neutralise but confuses the brain. i think sometimes using bright optical and perhaps glazing mixing does make these colours seem more alien, or at least a richness if they do neutralise.

chad23
03-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Pay attention to contrast that colors create, contrast gives that dramatic feeling. You can find some useful links on this topic here http://www.drawinghowtodraw.com/drawing-lessons/art-design-principles/art-contrast-composition.html