PDA

View Full Version : Does using egg change the color?

Bastet469
03-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Hi all,
I read about the use of eggs as a paint emuslifier. Does the pigment have to be adjusted to factor in the yellow of the yolk? Just curious...
-wendy

opainter
03-04-2015, 09:57 PM
When egg yolk is used as an emulsifier in paint, the same color changes that appear in foods that use egg yolk as an emulsifier will appear. These foods include mayonnaise and hollandaise sauce. Both of these foods are known for being yellow from the use of egg yolk. So, yes, the pigment does have to be adjusted for for the yellow of the yolk.

Mythrill
03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
To be honest, though, any changes that you get from the egg yolk will be small, and they will be most noticeable on cooler colors (e.g, when using blue pigments). In the cases of yellows and reds, you might even like the changes, since they will look a bit more intense and brighter due to the yellow bias of the yolk.

Gigalot
03-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Egg yolk color is carotene. It is very fugitive pigment and very soon will discolor completely.

karenlee
03-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Maybe Gig means the carotene color will fade/disappear, that than "discolor"?

Gigalot
03-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Maybe Gig means the carotene color will fade/disappear, that than "discolor"?
Yes, exactly, the unwanted, yellow carotene color will disappear! I wrote "discolor" by mistake. :)

opainter
03-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Yes, exactly, the unwanted, yellow carotene color will disappear! I wrote "discolor" by mistake. :)

You just forgot the apostrophe in dis'color. Dis'color is a new word that you just invented that is a contraction (like "can't" for "can not") that means disappeared color.