PDA

View Full Version : SCUMBLE!! 7 October

soap
10-07-2003, 04:17 AM
Hi Guys,
We have not had a scumble for the past days....so I thought it was high time to force all of you to admit what mischief you're all up to. :D
EJ should be the first ofcourse, as she changed her tinyhead! OOhh.....and this one is nice! I am wondering if Mo has drowned herself in the kitchen sorrows, or that a sparkling new kitchen is within sight and so also some more pastel works?

In other words, how's everybody doing??

I am painting like a maniac (latest portrait in the portraiture forum - not finished yet though), and today, have some chores to do.

Soap

E-J
10-07-2003, 04:29 AM
hey Sophie ... a quick hello as I'm about to hit work ... it's RAINING out there! ... a shock to the system as I feel as if I haven't seen the wet stuff for ages ... autumn's been all bluesky days so far.

My new tinyhead is of course an eye from my first and as yet only pastel portrait :)

I am trying to find time in my lunch hours to put together a simple website to showcase my paintings ... Thanks Dawn for the link you posted to brinkster.com ... it's very easy to amend and upload files. Will let you all know when I've got something worth seeing ... it won't be very exciting though, as you lot have already seen all my artwork!

soap
10-07-2003, 04:39 AM
Whadoyoumean, it's RAINING???? We're in the same country and here we feel as if autumn has skipped us and it went straight to early winter! It has been raining for days (or is it weeks), it is cold, night frost, and since yesterday gale force wind. Great....:mad:

oooh.....a website!! Great! A place to see all those goodies together! I do really think everybody should have a site, as it is so great to see all the art works together like that. Glad Dawn's got one, I check it out once in a while and go 'ooh...and aah....'....LOL!

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 04:57 AM
Hi Guys...... raining here too..... Im on the late shift this week ha ha.... so you got another 20 mins of me yet :D
.... Oh EJ, not sure if I like your new tiny head...... seems as if you are watching me :eek: :D
Glad you found brinkster and it is easy to use..... if you want to do more .html, try out www.webmonkey.com ..... excellent and easy to follow instructions, or just surf for more specifics..... now and again I pop into your Yahoo thingie :) ...... see if you've sneaked any new ones in...... and yours to Soap :D.... think yours has changed since last I was there..... yours looks so professional..... while WC was down last night.... deleted some of my old ones and uploaded some new

...... going off to see what Soap's been up to :)

Smudger
10-07-2003, 05:19 AM
Hi all...Glad to see you are all keeping busy, i havn't touched a pastel in ages but i will soon i promise:D

Hope everyone is feeling well.

BTW DS... i loved your landscape:clap:

Madder
10-07-2003, 05:38 AM
HI everyone,
Haven't been in touch recently and missed you all. Too busy preparing for my translation lectures this week. Wish me well!
My pastel class started last week and we were asked to do a sea scape! Oh Dark_shades, E_J, Carlanna, and all others who like to paint sea, my respect for you has doubled/tripled/quadrupled! How hard it was! I really didn't do well at all. Still I put it down to helpful exercise. I am gradually beginning to be less anxious if things don't work out :)
Autumn has started for real here too this week and Im finding it hard not to get a little depressed. I so hate winter!
Hope to join you all soon again....
Madder

anney
10-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Hello,

It's raining here too... Nice to be with you: brings some sun!

Yesterday was a very busy day for me, but no pastels: clay and colored ink pens (first trial, water soluble, makes like watercolor). Well, I started two new things whereas I have three old to finish...

Have a nice day,

Anne.

soap
10-07-2003, 07:47 AM
yummie Dawn, your website looks great. For me it is also a great place to be reminded of your past masterpieces. Still love the fruit and lace ones, but your water landscapes are pretty awesome!
I don't find it very handy that I have to go back 'home' from seeing one of your paintings, before I can go to another category.....just a nitpick.....unasked for.....sorry....:D

sundiver
10-07-2003, 08:01 AM
Good morning from the other side of the ocean! It's 7:56 AST and I'm at work, relaxing with my coffee and WC before the students arrive. No rain here, but juuuuust this side of frosty. I'll be scraping it off the windshield one day very soon.
We had a nice weekend at the cottage. Our power had been off there for 5 days because of Hurricane Juan, so everything in fridge and freezer had to be thrown out. We lost some shingles off the roof and our canoe apparently went airborne and flew over a hedge to the neighbour's yard, but otherwise our place was unscathed. Some trees I had painted plein air in the summer were uprooted and blown over, but not on our property.
Here at home we didn't even get the hurricane, but it's a mess over there- trees down, barns collapsed, etc.
Better get ready for the young masses!:)
Have a great day!

Greeble
10-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Morningmumbleslurp

Ain't coffee grand :o

So, Sundiver, not you live at the
Flying Canoe Ranch?

hehehe

They say two hurricanes are fixin to collide in Ca. so we have nothing to complain about Isabel and Juan!

Jen
who slept thru Isabel

E-J
10-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Dawn, what's your URL again? Can't see it in your profile. Even with this great big eye of mine that sees all :)

Yep, Webmonkey is a superbly useful site ... I use html in my work but it's always the same old same old, with no chance to get creative. The information professionals who subscribe to our web products might be a bit taken aback if I suddenly started adding my pastel pictures to pages about the European Union ... actually who knows, they might consider it added value and a damn sight more appealing than the EU :D

I think my website's going to be very simple and functional. I've made a start and hope to have something up in a few days!

Deborah Secor
10-07-2003, 12:00 PM
It's 9:00 AM here and cloudy, looking like rain--but we've nearly forgotten what rain is, so I'm not optimistic. The International Balloon Fiesta is going on this week, with something like 1,000 balloons in town for it, so maybe it WILL rain. (We'll keep them here if that works!)

I have to teach a class on how to paint skies and clouds to my beginners today. I think I'll work on LaCarte so I can blend and not bleed.

Hope to be in soon with some water paintings, too, so I can join the fun in that project.

I wanta see Dawn's pages! Drat! Must get to work or I won't have anything to show my students. Back tonight, I hope.

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Morning (note no qualifyer) It's definately fall here in Puget Sound: Last night I slept to the very bad reggae sounds of rain on the aluminum louvres over the bedroom window. I'm working on that landscape again- may have it better this time, but just now I have to erase what I thought was gonna be a very fine little twisty juniper tree- he just looks Disney-ish there. I need to get a move on, though, since I'm down to five days to come up with a couple more pieces. If I make 'em small studies, Hubby has enough mat for 'em I think, so that'll keep him busy, too.

soap
10-07-2003, 12:28 PM
just decided to go to life drawing class tonight....Haven't been in ages! scary....LOL.....see what monstrous bodies I make of those beautiful models.....

sundiver
10-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by dee_artist
I have to teach a class on how to paint skies and clouds to my beginners today.
Deborah

Wish I could be in your class! :D
But my grade sevens are doing "cubism" today and they're pretty happy with it. Here's a sample by one of the boys: (it's a dragonfly and some cattails)

bnoonan
10-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Hello all.

This is what Deborah is talking about....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2003/13264-balloon.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2003/13264-wide-view.jpg

I just got back from a weekend down in New Mexico and I am over the moon with all the fine art and fantastic scenery I enjoyed during my visit. More later but I need to get out and see green for Deborah.

We're into our delicious fall weather in San Francisco where the fog swallows the golden gate bridge for a few morning hours and then the sun shines through brilliantly. It's lovely out.

I missed you guys and yet I sure wish you were with me as I visited the art galleries in Santa Fe.

Barb

vrashton
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
Well it seems to be raining everywhere but here. We have beautiful sunshine & it's going to get really warm tomorrow, which will be nice before we get our cold and snow. Love the picture of the dragonfly, very talented kid. Those balloons look great too. Today is a painting day already finished one, working on another.
Val

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 01:49 PM
This is my work for the day- my bane-of-existence landscape of Ouray County. If I can manage to pull that pinon pine in the foreground off, I'll be none-too-unhappy with it. However- and I hope you're listening DS- So far there are NO GREENS USED. Closest I came was a teal color- I am so proud of myself! If I can get the damned pinon to LOOK like a tree instead of a mess, then I clean up edges and shapes, and it's finished. I hope. Maybe. (Are they ever finished?)

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Hello all.

This is what Deborah is talking about....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2003/13264-balloon.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2003/13264-wide-view.jpg

I just got back from a weekend down in New Mexico and I am over the moon with all the fine art and fantastic scenery I enjoyed during my visit. More later but I need to get out and see green for Deborah.

We're into our delicious fall weather in San Francisco where the fog swallows the golden gate bridge for a few morning hours and then the sun shines through brilliantly. It's lovely out.

I missed you guys and yet I sure wish you were with me as I visited the art galleries in Santa Fe.

Barb

Ohhh wow, what a brilliant sight...... I thought Dee was talking about the ones you blow up yourself lolol

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by SweetBabyJ
This is my work for the day- my bane-of-existence landscape of Ouray County. If I can manage to pull that pinon pine in the foreground off, I'll be none-too-unhappy with it. However- and I hope you're listening DS- So far there are NO GREENS USED. Closest I came was a teal color- I am so proud of myself! If I can get the damned pinon to LOOK like a tree instead of a mess, then I clean up edges and shapes, and it's finished. I hope. Maybe. (Are they ever finished?)

SBJ...... I REALLY Do like the greens in this one..... much more variegated in colour, gives the eye more interest to have a good 'ol rummage around in the painting :D ..... nice one

PS...... if you use the uploader instead..... we get to see it again when we are replying or quoting back at you..... so double the pleasure

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 02:03 PM
lol, what a chatty lot today..... cant keep up with you all :D

anney
10-07-2003, 02:24 PM
I forgot to ask a question: I understand the principle of the daily scumble (like daily wash in Watercolors). But what is a scumble? My Robert&Collins has no clue, jumps directly from "scum" to "scummy".

Thanks for helping me!

Anne.

bnoonan
10-07-2003, 02:37 PM
SBJ (sweet baby Jane) Love the painting and I'm dang impressed you didn't use green. Keep going.

B

PS: Scum describes the guys I dated in high school

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Man, now I've gotta remember to use the uploader, too- bad enough I hafta remember to re-size the dang things!

I think scumble might be one of those made-up words the Brits use (kinda like "Bubble-and-Squeak" is a made-up food- I hope) which means basically "mess around", or, in 'Merikan vernacular "small, spiral-grooved fastener-around" (just in case "screw" is a bad word). Then again, could be a weird off-shoot of scrimmage, which just means "pile-on" far as I can tell.

I love the balloon fest- my Mom lives in Alamogordo, so she goes all the time. The sunrise lift is fantastic.

(yes, I am deliberately finding things to do so I don't go paint- shhh! Don't tell me and maybe I won't notice)

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
I'll be none-too-unhappy with it. However- and I hope you're listening DS- So far there are NO GREENS USED. Closest I came was a teal color- I am so proud of myself!

:eek: Noooo, I wasnt Listening Lolol.... it was only Barbs comment that made me come back and read what you said...... woooooo hoooooooo .... we've cracked it ;)

.... so divulge.... divulge.... divulge...... mighty impressed.... am proud of you too :clap: lol

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 02:58 PM
I think scumble might be one of those made-up words the Brits use (kinda like "Bubble-and-Squeak" is a made-up food- I hope)

LOLOLOL :p :D

Bubble n Squeak is lubbley :D

I think scumble might be one of those made-up words the Brits use (kinda like "Bubble-and-Squeak" is a made-up food- I hope)

lolol and theres me thinking the Yanks made it up .. ha ha ha :D

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Scumble .... basically is an art/painting technique

have used scumble glazes for painting on walls/wood/furniture, to make them look 'distressed' or 'aged'..... 'weathered'

..... online dictionary quotes:

1 a : to make (as color or a painting) less brilliant by covering with a thin coat of opaque or semiopaque color b : to apply (a color) in this manner
2 : to soften the lines or colors of (a drawing) by rubbing lightly

Ps ....... lol at Barb :D ........ mark left by bath water :eek:

..... going off now to have my din dins....... hope its Bubble n Squeak! ... with Daddies Sauce :D

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Oh I can do that- in fact, I do it all the time....

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 03:15 PM
teal, blues, oranges and deep reds- then ochres and lemons and even creamy-yellows. Plus a small amount of a deep purple-y black if I really needed it- but I think black is kinda cheating, so don't tell anyone my new Rembrandt black looks a little used. It came that way. Honest.

The pinon, though, will get real green in spots- has to, it's too close to foreground to "fool the eye" totally. But I promise not to rely on green. Water's done- just that bit of foreground left...

We 'Merikans never make up a name for food when there's perfectly good furrin language around- escargot, for example. No right-minded 'Merikan would ever consider eating snails, but we will, because we are a class-conscious society, eat escargot. Well- some will- not me. I draw the line at deep-sea spiders (lobsters).

meowmeow
10-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Neat ungreen painting....great balloons.
It sounds like everyone is busy with interesting things...that's great.
Went to figure drawing session last night...maybe I'll put her up if I have a chance.
Mostly still running back and forth to Maine and now wedding plans making my brain spin....ta-da.....not complaining...just in outer space! :D

Sandy

Greeble
10-07-2003, 04:00 PM
I dont EVEN want to know
what goes into
daddies sauce

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 04:04 PM
:eek:

:crying:

..... some people spoil all my fun :evil:

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 04:10 PM
....... but not you Greeble...... so I will tell you :D

Spirit Vinegar
Malt Vinegar (from Barley)
Molasses
Glucose-Fructose Syrup
Sugar
Dates
Modified Maize
Starch
Salt
Rye Flour
Spices
Mustard
Onion Extract

..... from a secret recipe handed down from generation to generation :rolleyes:

meowmeow
10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
from generation to generation

Your family's or is this Daddie store bought?
Sounds...um...interesting.
Actually, it sounds sort of sweet/sour and it's probably good.

s.

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 04:28 PM
sorry, was only jesting hee hee......... its shop bought..... made by HP Foods..... went and looked on the net.... found this which is rather interesting........

History

HP Foods Ltd. has the woeful finances of a Mr F. G. Garton of Nottingham to thank for its existence. Around 1900 he owed Edwin Samson Moore, the owner of the Midland Vinegar Company 150. Moore, a shrewd opportunist, settled for the recipe of a homemade sauce that Garton used to sell in their neighbourhood. The sauce was christened H.P. when someone reputedly saw a bottle in the Houses of Parliament. It captured Moore's imagination wholesale, and a household brand was born.

....... they make Lea & Perrins Sauce..... Tomato Ketchup.... Baked Beans ..... etc

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Nice sounding sauce- but what the hell is Bubble and Squeak anyway? And do people actaully eat it? Or is it like Vegemite- one of those "National Dishes" forced on unsuspecting tourists?

meowmeow
10-07-2003, 04:39 PM
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbubblesqk.html

About bubble and squeak...but I am sure Dawn can tell us all about it. It doesnt sound bad at all and I bet the sauce is good with it.

I was kidding too, Dawn....although you never know around here! :D

I seem to recall some interesting discussions on another board about Vegemite....some people really loved it...and others...well...

Never had it myself!

s.

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Nice sounding sauce- but what the hell is Bubble and Squeak anyway? And do people actaully eat it? Or is it like Vegemite- one of those "National Dishes" forced on unsuspecting tourists?

lolol ..... You should try OUR ..... Toad in the Hole http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2003/12116-Laughing.gif

Bubble n Squeak:

Left Over

Mashed potatoes (you say creamed)
Cabbage or Brussel Sprouts (Prefer Brussel Sprouts) :eek:

Mix together and fry.... serve hot ... (suppose like potatoe cakes)
Must have Daddies Sauce with mine :D ..... and I like sausages with it

ooops..... forgot to add....... when you fry it, the heat makes it
Bubble and Squeak :)

bnoonan
10-07-2003, 04:47 PM
I love brussels sprouts and fortunately for me they are grown here in California in fields and fields. Best try this sometime - with or without daddie's sauce.

B

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 04:57 PM
yeah you should try it Barb...... to me though, not the same without the Daddies Sauce.... thats like a ketchup, so just need a blob...... do you not get HP or Heinz products?.... thought one or the other was American... at least now lol (sure Heinz do a similar one..... but its not quite the same as Daddies)

Mind you I was really shocked the other day, as I have 'gone off' tea!!!! :eek: and while we were away in France, were supplied with Lipton's Yellow Tea bags which is an English Tea Company.... bought some more in the French Supermarkets.... and really enjoyed my 'cuppa' again..... can I find it here.... Noooooo.... so been searching all over the place, on the net..... found a customer services site to email.... which turned out to be in Canada!!!..... they sent me a link back to the UK, to be told...... they ONLY sell it ABROAD!!!! :eek: :crying: ...... so if I want some Nice English Tea, I now have to go shopping in France or Spain!! :mad:

nope, I havent tried vegiemite nor marmite either :p

anney
10-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Dark_Shades, you're a real legend... so you do like Lipton's Yellow?

Anne.

SweetBabyJ
10-07-2003, 05:54 PM
I am not even going to ask about "Toad in the Hole"- it sounds suspiciously organic....

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by anney
Dark_Shades, you're a real legend... so you do like Lipton's Yellow?

Anne.

Hey Anne, you got any Liptons Tea there? ...... :D ..... send me some Lipton's Yellow Label Tea Bags ..... lolol ... yes I do Like it.... very much :)

meowmeow
10-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey Dawn! Lookee: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2349898588&category=38181

I can check in my supermarket for you...not sure if we have the yellow label or not. But if we do and it is reasonable I owuld be glad to send you some. Just not sure how much it would cost to mail.

Dark_Shades
10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
ohhhhh Sandy lol, thats unbelievable..... ha ha..... Thanks!!!

.. the biddings closed :crying: ..... hmm that is a point about shipping..... perhaps I will email them and see if they do this on a regular basis..... and how it would cost....... lol, prob be cheaper going day trip to Calais :) ...... really appreciate that Sandy - thanks....... thats really sweet of you to offer to...... I think they said they only sell it in Europe..... yeah, forgetting erm, the UK isnt :confused:

...... Coming back to Edit..... just noted their location..... Chicago.... I have a good chat buddy there...... will ask her

flower
10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Well here i am again

at the end of a long thread, ive tried to read everything through, but its hard, so heres my story for now, its cold, raining and very windy, at weekend we had 25 degrees and today its 8, ok we can cope with that, nice to see everyone back on the forum, looking forward to the daily sketch again and all the other nice things that come from our pastel forum, dawn what you been up too..................????? i spilt red wine on my keyboard last night so everything is sticking sorry??????????????????? bis bald or see you later everyone :)

Mo.
10-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Hey Sophie... what a scumble you started yesterday.... I've been running through the comments here, so much to read... but I've picked up on Balloons, paintings, Barb! :clap: waving to you.. and everyone else...
bubble and squeak, Daddies Sauce... whoooo..... And Lipton's tea... how British can you get... I mean to say... here in Newport. S.Wales we used to have a Liptons grocery store in the High Street.....and now we can't get the tea:rolleyes: ......Blasted common market is to blame :p.... all these bureaucrats in Brussels messing up our little Island:mad: .......

Anyway Dawn... what's wrong with chimpanzee tea? Should suit you as you have a chimp as your logo:evil: :D
And how about good old faggots and peas while , and some nice Glamorgan sausages to go with the bubble and squeak, or maybe some fried seaweed:D:D..... also known as Lava bread:D

Greeble
10-07-2003, 09:06 PM
And how about good old faggots and peas while , and some nice Glamorgan sausages to go with the bubble and squeak, or maybe some fried seaweed..... also known as Lava bread

Do the british have some agency that sits around all day thinking up these names?

Jen the confused

Deborah Secor
10-07-2003, 11:50 PM
Deborah interrupts all the weird food talk to wave at Barb and say....over that mountain in your balloon picture..with just one balloon... is RIGHT where I live! You coulda waved at me, almost...

nighty night all...

Deborah

E-J
10-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Dawn, I've got a friend from Chicago and she's going back to visit the folks in December ... I'll find out if she might be able to pick up some funny yellow tea for you :p Silly, isn't it ... Lipton's also do a sugar-free peach-flavoured ice tea in cans which I really like, and it seems you can get it anywhere in the world except in the UK!

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Mo.

bubble and squeak, Daddies Sauce... whoooo..... And Lipton's tea... how British can you get... I mean to say... here in Newport. S.Wales we used to have a Liptons grocery store in the High Street.....and now we can't get the tea:rolleyes: ......Blasted common market is to blame :p.... all these bureaucrats in Brussels messing up our little Island:mad: .......

Anyway Dawn... what's wrong with chimpanzee tea? Should suit you as you have a chimp as your logo:evil: :D
And how about good old faggots and peas while , and some nice Glamorgan sausages to go with the bubble and squeak, or maybe some fried seaweed:D:D..... also known as Lava bread:D

lolol Mo, always used to drink good Ol Pg :evil: goes without saying huh? .... lolol, they must of added 'something' to it, coz it tastes awful now...... ewwwwww 'gag' at the name faggots lolol...... lol what about 'jellied eels'....... 'tripe'..... 'trotters'...... nah before you ask, dont!!!, and lol I dont eat them.......
BUT, do you know what.... the BEST, the BEST sausages Ive ever eaten came from Wales :eek: ...... wish I could get more..... we stayed at a place called something like..... llaughlin.... Thomas Dylan and all that

soap
10-08-2003, 04:11 AM
noooooo........aaaaaaarch.....as far as I know Lipton tea is INFAMOUS......it's dreadful!! LOL!! No accounting for taste then? ha ha, sorry Dawn........when we went to France last summer I was dreading the Lipton, and it was as bland and grey dust-tasting as usual. I remember the Lipton even from when I went on Holiday to France or Belgium as a child. Glad they now have Twinings as well in France. They did not used to have that when I was a kid.
Sorry, but to me it is hilarious that a Brit all of a sudden grows a taste for Lipton............whoaaaaa.... ha ha.....

oh sorry.

enjoy your tea Dawn.

:rolleyes:

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 04:51 AM
erm, excuse me!!!....... what would you know about English Drinking tea........ lol you ARE DUTCH!!! :p :D :evil:

....... ps Im not a Brit :D ....... see my flag:evil:

soap
10-08-2003, 04:55 AM
I know! I thought the English would hate lipton as well.....they are so precious about their tea! LOL!!

You're no Brit?? Hate to break the news to you....but you are a Brit. LOL!

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by soap

You're no Brit??

Nooo ....... As My Flag Shows..... Im ENGLISH :D :clap: :)

soap
10-08-2003, 04:59 AM
and England is IN Great Britain? Right? which is IN Europe? right?

(although the English/brits always refer to 'Europe' as that continent there on the other side of the Channel, as if they're no part of it....)

soap
10-08-2003, 05:01 AM
btw, I looooove English tea! nice strong cuppa! They don't have a clue about tea in Holland......lol

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 05:06 AM
WRONG AGAIN Soap.. lolol..... I live in England...... and England is in the United Kingdom (UK)

..... well lol No where not IN Europe..... Europe is a continental Land Mass...... erm, we happen to be divided from it by a puddle of water..... called the Channel...... theres another splash of water..... thats Called the North Sea..... and, over the other side..... (affectionately called the Pond) ...... is the Atlantic :D

soap
10-08-2003, 05:11 AM
lol! So where is Great Britain then? And isn't the UK part of Europe? and the Channel as well, and the North Sea? So the UK is IN Europe then......at least that's what they've tried to teach me in school. lol They never told me Europe is a continental landmass......it's a continent which includes water masses as well.

oooh.....we're never going to agree......feud started here.....lol....

anney
10-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Anyway Dark_Shade, if you like Lipton Yellow, you are european... :evil: :D

Anne.

flower
10-08-2003, 08:36 AM
Talking of teas, ive got teas for stomach, bowels, kidneys, headache, colds, liver, you name it ive got it BUThavnt got liptons..........................?????????????????

Why do all Germans think we only drink tea all day LOL

Mary Robinson
10-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Try www.asda.com (http://www.asda.com) for yellow tea from lipton. They have an online shop and locations throughout the UK. They are the UK's version of Wal-Mart and owned by Wal-mart.

Also try Qualityspices.com (http://www.qualityspices.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/kundanfo/shopzone30.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=169&p_catid=11) Though I don't know if they deliver to the UK.

:cat:

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 09:23 AM
lol! So where is Great Britain then? And isn't the UK part of Europe? and the Channel as well, and the North Sea? So the UK is IN Europe then......at least that's what they've tried to teach me in school. lol They never told me Europe is a continental landmass......it's a continent which includes water masses as well.

oooh.....we're never going to agree......feud started here.....lol....

Guess whose Back :evil: hee hee.. No, UK isnt IN Europe.... Its next to it :D
Great Britain doesnt exist anymore.... gonna have to get my history books out now :p lolol.... Ok, so lets open this Up WIDE hee hee.... so Americans really should be called Europeans too :eek: :D ...... go back far enough, all the same land.... its all aload of rubbish lol..... made up by politicians and leaders...... boundries, borders change... countries change names.... how can suddenly GREECE Declare, they want to be European too... :confused: .......

they can stick their EURO too :p :D

Lol Anne

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by AkaMorgie
Try www.asda.com (http://www.asda.com) for yellow tea from lipton. They have an online shop and locations throughout the UK. They are the UK's version of Wal-Mart and owned by Wal-mart.

Also try Qualityspices.com (http://www.qualityspices.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/kundanfo/shopzone30.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=169&p_catid=11) Though I don't know if they deliver to the UK.

:cat:

Thanks AkaMorgie...... we had an Asda open up here two weeks ago....... rushed round to the tea section :D ...... no yellow label :crying:

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Ive decided......... drink so much coffee now!!!........
Im AMERICAN :D

soap
10-08-2003, 09:34 AM
Im AMERICAN

That's what I suspected all along........:evil: :D :clap:

You're just a eurosceptic. :D

Check your list of European countries.....the UK is definitely amongst them. The UK is even part of the European Communnity, but just does not share the new common currency. Greece is part of Europe as well (the continent), also part of the European Community, and use the Euro.

E-J
10-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Greece joined the EC 22 years ago and they joined the euro in 2001. Just thought I'd throw that in, since I edit an information service on Europe and can check these facts quickly! :)

I'm with Dawn on the 'being English, not British' thing. But the full name of the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so I guess GB must technically still exist...? :confused:

soap
10-08-2003, 09:47 AM
oh...did not know about Greece...I checked a site and it said they have the Euro.....whatever.....:D

You Brits/English are so sensitive....:D:D

E-J
10-08-2003, 09:49 AM
No, Sophie, I edited my post, like you.

For all the moaning you do about England and the British, there must be something you like about us, since you're living here :)

soap
10-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Ha ha.....LOL!! yeah, there's lots to like here! I just find it funny you guys refer to Europe as some strange far-away country, when you're part of it!!
Do you want me to list the things I like about the UK.........could take a while......:D

anney
10-08-2003, 09:53 AM
England has existed as a unified entity since the 10th century; the union between England and Wales, begun in 1284 with the Statute of Rhuddlan, was not formalized until 1536 with an Act of Union; in another Act of Union in 1707, England and Scotland agreed to permanently join as Great Britain; the legislative union of Great Britain and Ireland was implemented in 1801, with the adoption of the name the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland; the Anglo-Irish treaty of 1921 formalized a partition of Ireland; six northern Irish counties remained part of the United Kingdom as Northern Ireland and the current name of the country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, was adopted in 1927

Trusted source: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/uk.html

So unless Scotland has recently claimed for independance, Great Britain still exists...

Anne.

soap
10-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Hey! That's where I got my info from as well. Very informative site that.

E-J
10-08-2003, 10:05 AM
For many English people the word 'Europe' doesn't just refer to a geographical area but has emotive political implications ... Our empire is gone and none of the other countries that make up Britain want to be ruled by us anymore, so we're essentially a small country fearful of losing the sense of 'greatness' that used to be part of our identity. The fact that it's France and Germany (with whom we have a history of difficult relations) who are heading up the European Union makes it harder to stomach for many, particularly older people. I say all this but personally I don't have any great desire either to keep the pound or to join the euro. I don't worry about our identity but I do worry that with 10 more countries joining the EU next year, 'Europe' is going to be a big old economic, political and bureaucratic mess! :)

anney
10-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Have you noticed? It is October 8th today!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137659

:D

Anne.

soap
10-08-2003, 10:10 AM
oh, this is yesterdays scumble.....lol....
Well said EJ, and thanks for explaining that one. I did not loose any sleep over it, but never understood why this was. You've lifted a little bit more of the veil that covers the English in the eyes of foreigners.....

(oh, and as you could guess....one thing I really like in the UK, is its love for old buildings!)

bnoonan
10-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Time for a Revolutionary War I say..... Dump that tea in Boston Harbor and let's move on!

:D

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by E-J
so we're essentially a small country fearful of losing the sense of 'greatness' that used to be part of our identity.

..... sorry EJ, dont agree with you there at all........ we just want to be who we are..... and thats ENGLISH!!!
..... have you ever heard a Scotman, Welshman, Irishman (lol and no joke here :) )..... declaring they are British!!!..... No...... they declare their Nationality..... and thats all Im doing among many others.......... Like your self......... many have changed to flying the St. George's cros, gone is the Union Jack (The British Flag)...... you yourself did in here........ little bit of National Pride coming in there EJ lol

but I do worry that with 10 more countries joining the EU next year, 'Europe' is going to be a big old economic, political and bureaucratic mess! :)

lolol what do you mean, IS Going...... IT IS :D

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by E-J

I'm with Dawn on the 'being English, not British' thing. But the full name of the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so I guess GB must technically still exist...? :confused:

Yup it does........... On Car Stickers, when you are visiting Europe :D

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 02:13 PM

That's what I suspected all along........:evil: :D :clap:

You're just a eurosceptic. :D

Can I get treatment on the NHS for that :confused: :eek: :D
..... hmmmmm probably a long waiting list :evil:

Originally posted by E-J
No, Sophie, I edited my post, like you.

For all the moaning you do about England and the British, there must be something you like about us, since you're living here :)

lolol...... and she flies a British Flag

...... now you know why I say....... Yup...... toldya I was American

E-J
10-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
..... sorry EJ, dont agree with you there at all........ we just want to be who we are..... and thats ENGLISH!!!
..... have you ever heard a Scotman, Welshman, Irishman (lol and no joke here )..... declaring they are British!!!..... No...... they declare their Nationality..... and thats all Im doing among many others.......... Like your self......... many have changed to flying the St. George's cros, gone is the Union Jack (The British Flag)...... you yourself did in here........ little bit of National Pride coming in there EJ lol

Well, it seems it's cool these days to be Scots or Welsh but that it's somehow politically incorrect to be happy about one's English nationality and of course I don't agree with that. There are lots of people of my parents' generation who feel it's important to stay British and it was their feelings I was referring to above ... as I've never set foot in Scotland and my experience of Wales is limited to a single day trip to Cardiff, I hardly feel qualified to represent 'Britishness'!

I can't say I'm either proud or ashamed to be English, it's just something I am and I don't mind being it :D So when I realised I could have chosen the cross of St George (who was Turkish, by the way) instead of the Union Jack on my profile, I did.

I'm not eurosceptic. Euro-sceptic these days really means euro-hostile ... I would say I'm euro-dubious :)

PS. LOL at Barb. Methinks the rest of the world is snoring through this exchange :D

soap
10-08-2003, 03:16 PM
snoring.....lol.....probably.....it is turning into a 'how do I feel English' thing.....lol!
It's funny/interesting how this works. To me, as a foreigner, the English flag is just the flag of one of the UK's provinces/parts/departements/regions -whatever you want to call it. It states from which part of the UK you are from. I chose the Union Jack because I never thought of anything else, and because I don't feel connected to any part of the UK. And I only chose the flag, instead of a Dutch one, to show people where I am actually located.

In Holland, we used to have a similar issue with 'Holland' or 'The Netherlands'. Holland then only refers to the two provinces called North-Holland and South-Holland. The rest of the Netherlands felt left out when talking about the country like this. But the controversy has long died out and people use both terms interchangeable now.

PS: 'euro-dubious' ....lol....I like that phrase.

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 03:59 PM
And I only chose the flag, instead of a Dutch one, to show people where I am actually located.

lol well there you Go Soap........ my flag shows where I am located too..... ENGLAND lolol

lol EJ.... if It wasnt for me Whingeing to Scott about not having and English flag and then someone making me one..... we wouldnt of had the choice in WC lol

Deborah Secor
10-08-2003, 04:39 PM
My goodness...who knew there were such subtleties.

Deborah raises her cup of coffee to the English/British/UKers/Irish/Scots/Welsh/Dutch/(um anything else?) friends she's gotten to know. Thank goodness we have pastels in common!

Dark_Shades
10-08-2003, 05:43 PM
'euro-dubious'

lolol sounds like something Frankie Howard would say ..... In Up Pompeii :D

lolol dee.... see dont just get to learn about art in this diverse forum..... history, culture, geography..... cookery.... and much more lolol

Greeble
10-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Who knew they could fit so many nationalities in such a tin.... er...

so maybe I should go to today's scrumble

<<sneaking off>>