PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dry Cafe, March 2015

idylbrush
03-01-2015, 05:49 AM
Time to start over. A new month and a new beginning.

idylbrush
03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Yay! My paint cabinet is almost ready to put paint back in. I have yet to peg and insert shelves. But I think is is far more stable than it has been in years.

Freesia has started to sprout. Tomatoes are growing but not in the ground yet. I need to get on that soon.

PattiLou
03-01-2015, 01:30 PM
:wave: Hi Howard! I'm going to have to harvest collard greens in the next couple days. Not much else in my garden ready but there are things growing... like weeds. :evil: Actually I also have broccoli but it is not ready although the lettuce and spinach are ready to make a salad or add to a sandwich!

Bone chilling cold from the very windy, cold and damp air one day... to hot and sweaty the next day! Good ol' Florida! Since the weather is supposed to be in the 80's all week things will really start popping up or out, whichever the case may be. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
03-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Hi all - welcome to March and the hares should be dancing soon!:lol:

Cold and windy, winter having a last fling but we're lucky on this side of the country it's dry and sunny.
Clematis has started showing shoots so must get them pruned - otherwise, all the growing is done by weeds, like yours Patti!:lol: .... though actually, I do think the daffs are starting to bud!:)

Rick G
03-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Hi all - welcome to March and the hares should be dancing soon!:lol:

Bunnies again? And here I thought we had put the whole "rabbit", "rabbet", "Welsh rarebit" thingie behind us last month. :cat:

cem
03-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Cold, windy and wet here. Another round of winter precipitation is due Wednesday. Glad all the ice has melted. Cats are happy about that too:) Nothing but weeds growing here. Since we're losing all our shrubs out front, I'm looking into native grasses, etc.....drought and disease resistant, to replace them. But first I need to find out how to neutralize the soil before planting. The shrubs are dieing due to some sort of scale? (White, fuzzy stuff) GRRR.
I envy those of you with green thumbs. My mother could grow anything, but not me:(

Shirl Parker
03-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Here a search on Google -

white+fuzzy+stuff+killing+shrubs

It yields some possible answers for you.

Rick G
03-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Let's see...white, fuzzy & killing shrubs...sounds like a rabbit to me. ;)

cliff.kachinske
03-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes, bunnies. Bunnies. Bunnies to eat the pansies in winter and the impatiens and sweet potatoes and every other dang thing except zinnias and marigolds in the summer. :( :(

And deer to eat everything else except, of course, the kudzu and wild garlic in the yard. I think my gardening project this year is going to be treating everything with herbicide and putting in artifical turf and a few cell phone towers. The local Michael's is having a sale on artificial flowers, so that's gonna be it for this year. :evil: :evil:

Not to mention the nine foot fence, because deer can clear eight feet. Eight. Feet. The critters are inhuman.

Charlie's Mum
03-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Easter bunnies yes, but March hares are different :) 'Mad as March hares' ..... their courting rituals in March look like dancing ..... do you have hares in the US?
Rabbits are destructive in gardens, eat almost anything .... but it's fun watching them play, jump and twist!
Oops, sorry, back on to rabbiting about rabbits:lol:

Lady Carol
03-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes, bunnies. Bunnies. Bunnies to eat
I am quite fond of bunny for dinner.

Fox_eNova
03-02-2015, 05:44 PM
My preference is pit bunnies.

Rick G
03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
I think that jackrabbits common in the western US are actually hares.

ColinS
03-02-2015, 07:55 PM
We had a problem with a riot of rabbits on the local university campus a few years ago.

We sent them to Texas (sorry Cindy).

Causing the local town to consider passing an ordinance against foreign rabbits.

http://www.macleans.ca/education/uniandcollege/former-uvic-rabbits-could-be-evicted-from-texas-sanctuary/

We have no native rabbits or hares on Vancouver Island, just a plague of cottontails from the east introduced in the 70s and the plague of domestic rabbits dropped off at the university campus by thoughtless pet owners.

idylbrush
03-02-2015, 08:01 PM
All I end up with is dust bunnies!

No chocolate there...

About have the reconstructed cabinet back in order. It is much improved and far sturdier.

Tomorrow I go to Bay Pines for an appointment.

bluefish
03-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Maureen.....since we do not have them, do you have an 'Easter Hare' ?.....:rolleyes:

Charlie's Mum
03-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Shucks Blue, we have Easter Bunnies of course - like yours!:lol: ;) ;)

Couldn't get onto WC for a long time yesterday - anyone else affected? - maybe it just doesn't like me!:D

idylbrush
03-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Later today, after getting back from my appointment, I am going to try and assemble a frame stock. I got some poplar and hope it is a good wood for frames. It seems to be rather straight and solid.

PattiLou
03-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Shucks Blue, we have Easter Bunnies of course - like yours!:lol: ;) ;)

Couldn't get onto WC for a long time yesterday - anyone else affected? - maybe it just doesn't like me!:D
Had some trouble too. I was reading a forum and when I went to post it just stopped working... did it more than once. Or I would be reading and try to go to the next post and it locked up. Gave up after awhile. :lol:

cliff.kachinske
03-03-2015, 10:54 AM
I just realized that my yard, though an eyesore, offense and bane to the homeowners' association, is a delight to the birds. Right now I have robins, cardinals, and 2 doves. Yesterday there was a blue bird and several tiny grey and brown things with feathers.

Also the daffodils are showing yellow. Some year I have to thin them.

Rick G
03-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Later today, after getting back from my appointment, I am going to try and assemble a frame stock. I got some poplar and hope it is a good wood for frames. It seems to be rather straight and solid.

Howard - I just finished a project where I used poplar. I liked it and it worked well, but if you're building finished picture frames, it does take stain pretty unevenly. I found using a pre-stain sealer helped quite a bit.

Rick G
03-03-2015, 12:33 PM
There were a couple of woodpeckers working over the old oak snag in my backyard a little bit ago. Not the greatest picture, but I was shooting through my window...which is much in need of a bit of spring cleaning.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Mar-2015/147850-Woodpeckers.jpg

Charlie's Mum
03-03-2015, 04:09 PM
How great to see, and photo, two woodies Rick - never see them around the village here but do when we're down in Yorkshire - love to hear them!
Saw the funniest thing on the news - an amateur photographer saw a green woodpecker flying, looking terrified, with a weasel on its back - amazing film/photo. (Do you have weasels over the Pond?) - they are incredibly ferocious little things and so fast.
The tale had a happy ending, the woodpecker managed to dislodge the weasel! Hope it gave it a great shock taking it for a flight!:lol:
Woodpecker and Weasel (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31711446)

Boxing hares (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_IwHrRLoMc) - sorry, don't know how to embed this!

Rick - I believe hares and jack rabbits are similar.:)

cem
03-04-2015, 12:38 AM
I think your pic of the woodpeckers turned out rather well, Rick. For a short while, we had a woodpecker pecking the metal hood of the street light across from my house. Made an awful racket!

I was surprised to see how small the weasel is on the back of that woodpecker! How funny! I watched the Boxing Hares too. Comical. Must be mating season? Spring fever? When we bought this house 30yrs. ago, we had tiny brown spotted rabbits. My daughter's cat made short work of them I'm afraid. Like Howard, just dust bunnies now.

ColinS
03-04-2015, 01:54 AM
Great picture of the woodpeckers Rick.

Maureen that photo is hilarious. Poor little weasel. :lol:

That will teach it a lesson.

PattiLou
03-04-2015, 08:28 AM
I'm surprised the woodpecker could fly with all the extra weight. Interesting... also the boxing hares. They were sure getting their exercise! :lol:

Troebal
03-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I took this picture of a bird in a dead tree just outside our property. All the branches make for a really interesting picture. Whether I could turn it into a decent painting I don't know. Joe

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Mar-2015/1514764-Bird_in_a_Tree_S.jpg

Shirl Parker
03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
...Maureen that photo is hilarious. Poor little weasel. :lol:
Word has it that that poor weasel was planning on having that woodpecker for brunch. Talk about eyes being bigger than your stomach...

idylbrush
03-04-2015, 03:28 PM
At noon today the temperature was 87 F.

Went from winter to summer with no spring.

Picked up more wood today at the home store. Also got an orbital sander.

Turned air on today. What!

CinderellaG
03-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Hello everyone. What interesting conversation. We have very large Piliated Woodpeckers that hang out in our back yard, so fun to watch ,especially in the spring when they have little ones. I'll snap a pic when I can. Here in N Ga we are expecting more ice tomorrow so not seeing too many critters yet. Our pool is covered and holding water on the cover and many times we have 15 to 20 doves drinking from it. Really neat to see..
Troebal, I think the dove in the tree would make a great painting. Hope you do it and post it when done.

Fox_eNova
03-04-2015, 05:18 PM
I think the reason that weasel ran off so quick was to change his shorts..
Cool links Maureen, thanks. I have one of those one-way mirror nesting boxes up. Hope I get a tenant soon with spring coming, be fun to watch a bird family grow into maturity.
My Airbrush Kit (http://deals.ebay.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/airbrush-kit-with-compressor.jpg) came today. For how cheap it was, it looks like good quality equipmen, compressor, hose and 3 brushes. Also, the compressor is surprisingly quiet, about the same db. as my AC unit. The learning curve starts today. Can ya teach an old dog new tricks? :lol:

Charlie's Mum
03-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Absolutely Eric - have fun!:)

... and how are those urban reflections coming on - hope you haven't abandoned it!:)

Fox_eNova
03-05-2015, 09:42 PM
No no, have not given up, they look fairly good, will post later today. Played with new toy last night and got nothing done on my painting.

Fox_eNova
03-05-2015, 11:11 PM
You Florida folk are missing all the fun.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/xKy2lLNQYrI?rel=0&iv_load_policy=3&showinfo=0

ColinS
03-06-2015, 12:37 AM
Welcome to the Café, Cindy. Troebal I agree that photo would make for a great painting.

Eric that video is hilarious but people in the US sure fall down a lot in that white stuff.

Charlie's Mum
03-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Hilarious Eric! ....... good way to start the morning ..... well, spend the morning!:lol:

PattiLou
03-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Eric... been there, done that... including falling down in the middle of a busy intersection when I was 7 months pregnant and big as a circus tent! I prefer sun and sand now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shirl Parker
03-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Troebal, fabulous photo :clap:

idylbrush
03-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Just picked from my garden. Doesn't get any better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2015/36241-Pineapple.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
03-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Enjoy that Howard - scrumptious!

Fox_eNova
03-06-2015, 05:37 PM
That's nice Howard, I love em'.

idylbrush
03-06-2015, 08:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2015/36241-BeefStew.jpeg

Made beef stew for dinner. It is delicious.

Rick G
03-06-2015, 11:29 PM
You're killing me, Howard. That stew looks awesome and I'd love to follow it up with a slice or two of that pineapple. If you've made bread, I'm going to start checking for airline flights.

idylbrush
03-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Worked in the garden this morning. Augmenting the veggie beds. About ready to plant.

Then I made strawberry jam for the first time. Hope it gels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2015/36241-strawberryjam.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
03-07-2015, 12:12 PM
I see the pineapple is still whole!:lol:

cem
03-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Howard, could you bottle some of that energy and send it my way?:) You put me to shame with all your talent, culinary and others. How long does it take to grow a pineapple? That stew looks yummy.

idylbrush
03-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Pineapples take about 18 months from planting to picking.

What energy? I'm pretty lazy these days.

ColinS
03-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Howard you are certainly very energetic - compared to me you are a "captain of industry". The stew looked very good for sure.

Off to Vancouver for the weekend. Bob Seger concert tonight and Cezanne at the Vancouver Art Gallery tomorrow.

idylbrush
03-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Strawberry jam has set. It is delicious.

Charlie's Mum
03-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Mouth is watering ... have scones, will travel!:lol: ...... and also pop up to Vancouver for concert and Cezanne exhibit ............... I wish!:lol:

idylbrush
03-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Worked in the garden this morning. Got the compost/watering system in place and planted tomato plants. If you look closely, the plant on the right has a tomato set.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/36241-tomato-compost.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/36241-Pineapple2.jpeg

Sweet as candy, no added sugar. That would be criminal. Tastes great!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/36241-Framepieces.jpeg

Round over the edges, then cut to size. Hoping this will end up being a black satin finish frame.

idylbrush
03-08-2015, 10:52 AM
A wee bit later...I think I have my miter saw well adjusted.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/36241-frame3.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
03-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Looks very professional H. Toms good - saw the baby! Pineapple look delicious!

Just managed an hour in the garden - very blustery and far from warm but got the clematis plants cut back and some roses pruned a bit ..... fingers crossed I'll get time this week.

idylbrush
03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Sanded frame, had lunch, prepped strawberries, washed dishes, and had some pineapple.

Getting ready to do some paperwork.

PattiLou
03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Another beautiful day! We put a new satellite dish on the motorhome this morning then took a break for a late lunch. Trimmed the big oak tree, sprayed some weeds coming up in the driveway cracks, had visitors and now I quit for the day! :lol: I think dinner may be some leftover I find in the freezer. Wish I had Howard's pineapple to go with it but I know it is probably all gone by now. Guess I will have to wait a few more months on mine... I have about 6 plants growing and one in water to root.

In between all the chores I have been trying to set up my new notebook computer. First item on the agenda was getting rid of all the crapware/bloatware that all the manufacturers install. I think I accomplished that until I find more. Now I am loading my favorite programs and that could take a good little bit of time. :lol: :lol: :lol: How am I supposed to find time to paint???

Fox_eNova
03-08-2015, 07:05 PM
Miters look perfect Howard :thumbsup:. They will be nice frames, much nicer then off the shelf...and DYI.:thumbsup:
I like pineapple on the grill, just a bit carmelized. Goes good with anything.

ColinS
03-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Great concert in Vancouver. Bob Seger played almost all his golden oldies. The stadium itself was filled with oldies. :lol: Great little hotel only 3 blocks from the stadium. Saw the Cezanne exhibition today, and really enjoyed it, my favourite being a painting of Mont St-Victoire. There were also paintings from the Pearlman collection on tour by Van Gogh, Toulouse-Lautrec, Modigliani, Degas, Manet and some sculpture by Gauguin... Also some work by artists I had not heard of before that were collected by Henry Pearlman who were contemporaries of the Post Impressionists, like Jaques Lipschitz and Chaim Soutine.

Plus there was an exhibition of modern Chinese artists, including a huge sculpture by Ai Wei Wei called "Bang" which consisted of a couple of hundred traditional three-legged stools assembled together into a huge sculpture.

After we checked out of the hotel we went for a walk in Stanley Park. It was a beautiful day and Vancouver is lovely when the sun shines. Not so much in the rain. ;) But today was beautiful. A good weekend, except no painting.

Tokk this photo of the Lion's Gate bridge as a bank of fog was rolling in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2015/1183569-VancouverDSCN8045.jpg

idylbrush
03-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Colin, Sounds like a wonderful weekend to me.

Charlie's Mum
03-09-2015, 09:11 AM
The stadium itself was filled with oldies. - you'd feel like youngsters then!:lol: Glad it was all good :thumbsup:

cem
03-09-2015, 11:30 AM
What a great weekend Colin. I never got to see Bob Seger:( Love the photo with the fog rolling in.

The snow has all gone and the rain has set in. Temps are rising to 60's, so they have predicted. Spring! I sure hope we don't have any more cold snaps!

CinderellaG
03-09-2015, 06:24 PM
So I thought I would show you a pic of what I've been working on since Friday...Started early in the morning and was completed by midnight..Several different colors and still promises to be very time consuming...at least for 8 to 10 weeks or so!! Don't worry, it's not a painting! My Cocker Spaniel, Zoe, delivered 5 beautiful puppies Friday night... (Sadly we lost 1 with a cleft palette) We have 1 girl and 3 little boys!! I haven't painted since Thursday evening, been a little wrapped up in other things, like puppies!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2015/1181973-Cocker_Puppies_just_born.JPG

Had to get a pic of puppies Mommy in here too...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Mar-2015/1181973-IMG_3202.JPG

Charlie's Mum
03-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Aren't these pups gorgeous?
Good job I don't live nearer, I'd be wanting one! :lol:

It was Crufts Dog Show at the weekend and it's now very International ..... the sad thing is, one of the dogs (an Irish Setter, 2nd in its class) was poisoned at the Show and died within 24 hours ........ reports of another 6 dogs being poisoned too.
Words fail me .... :(

cliff.kachinske
03-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Phooey is what I said when this happened:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2015/1965263-brokeknife.jpg

Yes, it really was phooey. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, and that's not all. There's the admittedly ancient but still expensive in its day brush that started shedding bristles when I had the nerve to ask it participate in the painting activity. Then there's the ounce or so of paint that I wasted by completely botching a color match.

But there's a happy ending ;). The wrong color is the almost perfect complement of the color I wanted, So now there's some nice color flipping going on in the foreground.

idylbrush
03-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Cliff, That is a tough break, seems that as soon as you get them broken in they break and you have to start over.

Crazy day today, trying to get prepped for taxes. A bit tricky getting all the proper paperwork in order. Some companies don't send out the forms and you have to go on line, answer three thousand questions and find out you may not need that form. Better to cross the Ts and dot the I's.

PattiLou
03-10-2015, 07:38 PM
It was Crufts Dog Show at the weekend and it's now very International ..... the sad thing is, one of the dogs (an Irish Setter, 2nd in its class) was poisoned at the Show and died within 24 hours ........ reports of another 6 dogs being poisoned too.
Words fail me .... :(
That's awful and I don't understand why someone would do that. Jealousy??? I hope they get caught.

ColinS
03-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Cute puppies Cindy-rella G

Cliff what a bad luck day. I usually do that to our dandelion hoe trying to prise up the varmints from between bricks in the driveway. :angel:

CinderellaG
03-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Maurine,,I went to a dog show and saw several people kick at the dogs, tell them to stay away...why do people go if they don't like dogs? I love dogs but even if I didn't I wouldn't hurt them! I really don't understand what someone would gain by poisining dogs at a show...so sad!

CinderellaG
03-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Sorry Maureen, I spelled your name wrong...I'll catch on soon (I hope) !

Fox_eNova
03-11-2015, 01:06 AM
How can anyone poison a dog? Not the dogs fault he's being shown. Had the same thing happen here at a local small show a few years ago. The perp got caught, don't know what happened to her.

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Lol Cinders, don't worry about it!:D
How are the pups doing? Is Mum being good too?

Our son and D in L bought a pup a few weeks ago - she's about 3 months now, black lab ...... they were calling her Satan because she was so hyperactive, jumping on their little King Charles spaniel and driving them all up the wall ....... even got a dog trainer to see if he could figure out what was wrong with her .......... (They've had dogs for the past 25 years, so not inexperienced). We were talking about her food - the breeders had given her a so-called quality food since weaning. So, 24 hours after changing her diet to supermarket brand puppy food, she's a different pup - quiet and more amenable! As we said, if additives can make some children hyperactive, why not also affect other animals? Fingers crossed for a quieter life for them and hopefully they can enjoy the pup instead of being frantic about her!

CinderellaG
03-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Puppies are growing sooo fast! Mommy wasn't too good at first but the vet said her hormones would kick in 24 to 48 hrs later and thankfully they did! She is now caring for babies like a good mommy should! When I start the pups on food it will be on a puppy chow anyone can go to the pet store and buy easily, or Wal-mart. There is no reason for "designer" foods with all kinds of additives that haven't been tried and tested to see the results! It's all about marketing for $$$.. I have always used the stuff that has been around for years and had wonderful little babies..
I'm really glad your sons pup is settled down to a normal ,active and loveable guy!So many people just give up on a dog without trying to solve the issue.In about 5 more days our little pups will open their eyes and then it will be fun time for me! Right now I just change the bedding and take care of "Mommy Zoe" I'll post some more pics when they open their eyes.
I'm painting a large landscape right now in oils so that's keeping me busy in the studio. I know my painting time will slow way down soon.

idylbrush
03-11-2015, 02:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2015/36241-Frame4.jpeg

This is the finish of this work. Think it came out okay.

The puppies are adorable. Don't think I can even imagine another dog in the house right now. The last one ruined me. She stole my heart, and took it with her when she passed away.

ColinS
03-11-2015, 03:55 PM
We had a black lab cross when I was a teenager. (It was a real mongrel, the mother was part chihuahua :confused: ). It was a very hyperactive and kind of stupid dog all the way through its all too short existence (hit by a car outside our home eventually because it would escape and run into the road). And we would only have fed it some kind of supermarket kibble and dinner scraps so we can't blame it on a specialty diet.

Have to go for some minor (please let it be minor :crossfingers: ) surgery around my eye this afternoon, so may come home looking like a pirate with a patch. :lol:

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Oh Colin - best of luck and will be sending a few good thoughts your way.:)

Cinders - Wal-mart (Asda here) (or vice versa!) is the food they've changed to ........ had long talk with D in L this afternoon , Satan might soon be back to Sadie!:lol: - she's been a lot quieter and just normal puppy boisterousness today!

Like Howard, can't think of another dog yet .......... well, I do, but I also have to think of what would happen to it if anything happened to us first ...... they fill so many empty spots in the home and our hearts.

H. the black frame looks elegant.:)

cliff.kachinske
03-11-2015, 05:01 PM
Prayers for your eye, Cap'n, er Colin.

idylbrush
03-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Colin, hope your eye is doing well. Until then, pick a good nickname. Something comical would be good.

Get well soon!

idylbrush
03-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Load in today for the FASS show. It will cover the next three days. Think this is the last show I will be in. I am not excited about it all but know I have to do it. This too shall pass.

Charlie's Mum
03-12-2015, 11:22 AM
What's the FASS show Howard? Florida something?

Cap'n C - how's the eye? (Blame Cliff for the name!:lol:)

idylbrush
03-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Fine Arts Society of Sarasota. Invitational show.

Rick G
03-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Cap'n C? I think that Colin should change his profile to Captain Crunch, but with an eye patch colored in. ;)

Hope you heal up quickly, Colin.

cliff.kachinske
03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Cap'n C - how's the eye? (Blame Cliff for the name!:lol:)

Right, blame the new guy. :wink2:

Hope it was minor Colin and you are well on the mend.

An invitational show, Howard? I'm impressed. :thumbsup: The only things I've been invited to do at an art show are a) seek another venue for the submitted work, and b) pay admission at the door. :lol:

idylbrush
03-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Right, blame the new guy. :wink2:

Hope it was minor Colin and you are well on the mend.

An invitational show, Howard? I'm impressed. :thumbsup: The only things I've been invited to do at an art show are a) seek another venue for the submitted work, and b) pay admission at the door. :lol:

Of course we blame the new guy. It is part of the initiation!

This is a part of the creator's and collectors tour, also showcased are several art studios. It is a huge event in the local arts community. I came out of retirement to do this show. Finding my energy isn't up to it. Had to walk from parking lot to the building three times, carrying artwork and toolbox. (About a quarter mile each way) Wore myself out. Only hung a bakers dozen of work. Hzave been struggling with a few health issues and that hasn't helped much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2015/36241-Iris.jpeg
Four iris blooms in the garden today.

Charlie's Mum
03-12-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks Howard - and good luck!
Love the iris blooms.

ColinS
03-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Yes thanks all, it turned out to be a simple procedure. The "oculoplasticist" :confused: was very good. Doesn't seem to have added any plastic to my face. Had a patch on overnight and went by the name of "Captain" though the family couldn't decide between Jack Sparrow and Long John Silver, neither of which had eye patches anyway. :lol: I like Cap'n Crunch!

Decided not to go into the office, though just to let the healing get started, but did some work remotely so the day wasn't a total waste.

Nice looking iris Howard. Nan is out weeding today trying to get ahead of the invasion.

CinderellaG
03-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Colin I really like the name "cap'n C". I think you should keep it.
Wonderful to be invited to show....maybe someday I'll be so blessed. Congrats!

idylbrush
03-13-2015, 06:39 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Mar-2015/36241-FASSshow.jpeg

Opening went well. I am not up to the rigors of openings.

Charlie's Mum
03-13-2015, 06:44 AM
I understand Howard - I hate all the sitting around!:lol:

Cap'n C - glad all went well :thumbsup:

idylbrush
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
If I was able to sit it wouldn't be so bad. The chairs I ordered were used to allow attendees to sit. It wasn't bad, the whole thing is somewhat exhausting. Today is five hours. What happened to the days when I worked 22 hours and thought nothing of it?

CinderellaG
03-13-2015, 09:02 AM
We finally get old enough to retire and have time to paint...then we just have no energy to do it! But hey, it beats the alternative!

PattiLou
03-13-2015, 11:16 AM
If I was able to sit it wouldn't be so bad. The chairs I ordered were used to allow attendees to sit. It wasn't bad, the whole thing is somewhat exhausting. Today is five hours. What happened to the days when I worked 22 hours and thought nothing of it?
I think those are called the "younger years". :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you are old enough to retire you start falling apart piece by piece. :eek: Who thought this up anyway, should be the other way around... you should get better with age! :D

bluefish
03-13-2015, 11:50 AM
you do get better with age.....better @ napping, better @ deserts, better @ complaining, etc.....the list could go on and on.....:clap:

Fox_eNova
03-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Better :thumbsup::thumbsup:, improving daily :lol:

Charlie's Mum
03-13-2015, 04:16 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: at the last few posts - couldn't agree more!:D

PattiLou
03-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Don't do naps, great at desserts, DH says I'm a perfectionist but I'm not,I just like things in their place... so I complain (a little :evil: )

idylbrush
03-13-2015, 07:35 PM
Tired tonight. One more day to go. Sales have been good. Tomorrow is the big day.

ColinS
03-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Don't do naps, great at desserts, DH says I'm a perfectionist but I'm not,I just like things in their place... so I complain (a little :evil: )

You sound like my DW. I swear she follows me around when I am at home putting back in place any cushion, towel, book, chair, coaster, stool, or whatever that I might touch. :lol: it's as if the house has a "look" that I ruin by living in it. :D

idylbrush
03-14-2015, 07:21 AM
Framing up a few more pieces for today. As many as I can anyway. It takes time the way I frame these days. Managed one and hoping for two more works.

PattiLou
03-14-2015, 07:49 AM
You sound like my DW. I swear she follows me around when I am at home putting back in place any cushion, towel, book, chair, coaster, stool, or whatever that I might touch. :lol: it's as if the house has a "look" that I ruin by living in it. :D:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not that bad, but I refuse to move things from the kitchen table so we can eat... he lays things there as soon as he walks through the door. And... if you can carry your glass to the kitchen you can surely open the dishwasher and place it in there. Then there is "Do you know where (fill in the blank) is? I can't find it." Now why would I know where something is that you were the the last one to use said item? And it is usually not where it is supposed to be! :D I can find my things and usually his. :evil:

Fox_eNova
03-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Mine says the only reason I kept her this long is because she can find my stuff!. Can't think of another reason...lol!

Charlie's Mum
03-14-2015, 11:27 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not that bad, but I refuse to move things from the kitchen table so we can eat... he lays things there as soon as he walks through the door. And... if you can carry your glass to the kitchen you can surely open the dishwasher and place it in there. Then there is "Do you know where (fill in the blank) is? I can't find it." Now why would I know where something is that you were the the last one to use said item? And it is usually not where it is supposed to be! :D I can find my things and usually his. :evil:

Could be our house Patti!:lol:

Colin - I like the place tidy too but I'm not as bad about it as your lady!:lol:
The one place I don't dare touch is DH's desk - but then, I wouldn't like anyone moving my bits of paper around either!:lol:

Howard - well done on the sales.:thumbsup:

Lady Carol
03-14-2015, 01:31 PM
Could be our house Patti!:lol:
Could be any house where a bloke resides

PattiLou
03-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Aye, that's probably true Carol, although we have a friend who sounds like Colin's wife. Everything in his closet and kitchen cupboards was lined up perfectly, trousers and shirts matched, labels facing out, silverware squared to last fraction of an inch.

I don't touch DH's desk either Maureen and he can't blame me when he loses something. :D

Whew, I think summer has arrived! Humidity 49% and temperature mid 80's.

Rick G
03-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Now why would I know where something is that you were the the last one to use said item?

Well, in the case of my DW, it's because she most likely moved it from the spot that I left the thing in the first place. ;)

Actually, I suspect that there are gender differences in the way we perceive our environment. I can't tell you how many times I've opened a cupboard door to look for something that I know is in there and simply don't see the stupid thing. My wife walks over moves a can or a box and hands it to me with a "poor-stupid-male" look on her face. Now, if she steps into the garage, all bets are off.

I love the woman dearly.

PattiLou
03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
:lol: Guess that's one reason we need each other, huh? BUT I can find things in the garage/shed too. I bugged the heck out of my Grandpa and Dad so I know what most tools are and how to use them. I'm not much into frills and lace. :D The nice thing is DH can fix most anything so he is pretty handy to have around. Guess I will keep him, might as wee since he has hung around for for 53 years already. By the way I think you are right about gender differences, I can't begin to count how many times that has happened around here.

Shirl Parker
03-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Aye, that's probably true Carol, although we have a friend who sounds like Colin's wife. Everything in his closet and kitchen cupboards was lined up perfectly, trousers and shirts matched, labels facing out, silverware squared to last fraction of an inch...
This sounds very close to the plotline of the movie "Sleeping with the Enemy".

ColinS
03-15-2015, 01:36 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not that bad, but I refuse to move things from the kitchen table so we can eat... he lays things there as soon as he walks through the door. And... if you can carry your glass to the kitchen you can surely open the dishwasher and place it in there. Then there is "Do you know where (fill in the blank) is? I can't find it." Now why would I know where something is that you were the the last one to use said item? And it is usually not where it is supposed to be! :D I can find my things and usually his. :evil:
I swear she moves things to new places so that I am perpetually at sixes and sevens looking for stuff...:lol::lol::lol: Just finding a light bulb or a battery can be a daunting challenge. Now where would she be keeping them this week??? :confused: :D

And then she pulls the same trick that Rick's wife does and just points to something sitting right on the shelf in front of me. "It's right there in front of you." And I honestly didn't see it. :D

Fox_eNova
03-15-2015, 04:41 AM
I swear she moves things to new places so that I am perpetually at sixes and sevens looking for stuff... and just points to something sitting right on the shelf in front of me. "It's right there in front of you." And I honestly didn't see it. :D
And here thought it was just me and our house. As I am not very mobile, my bride cleans up after my doings. Seems like she hides the stuff I use most. Not sure if she's honestly helping me or wanting to start a fight..:lol:
Been playing and practicing with my new airbrush :confused:..new painting should be ready to post on WC in about 5 years.

idylbrush
03-15-2015, 06:44 AM
After 2.5 very exhausting days, the show is over for another year. I was delighted that two of the "masks" sold. One to a clinical psychologist. Four of the Spirit Rising Series of paintings sold as well. I was fortunate that sales were good. Others were not quite so lucky. One of the folks that I know well, a great artist and beautiful work, sold one piece for the entire show. I felt so bad for her. Had I the money, I would have purchased a work for myself. Her work is meticulous, delicate and beautiful.

Last night I stopped at the market and purchased dinner. Didn't feel up to cooking a meal. Still just a bit fuzzy this morning. Going to take the day off as best I can and rest. Busy week ahead.

Charlie's Mum
03-15-2015, 01:11 PM
Rick - I think you may well be right about the gender thing!:lol:

Colin -I swear she moves things to new places so that I am perpetually at sixes and sevens looking for stuff. -
D. says I do this too! ....... actually, I am a little guilty - shhhh !!!;)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: - Howard - worth all the angst, meeting and greeting and even the exhaustion! Rest!!!! - no harm in taking it easy.:)

Spent a little time in the greenhouse, while it's still standing, held together with duct tape!! If I add more, might just get this season out of it unless we get strong gales again :eek: Found some mini daffs sprouting last week - in a bag, forgotten about! Planted them and they're flowering - some are still to come up:lol:
Might even have to cut the lawn if the weather warms this week - I'm hopeful!:lol: ...... the season is supposed to open at our holiday home, on St Paddy's Day ... as long as there are no more heavy frosts :eek: . may get a day's trip down to God's Country (Yorkshire)!:)

idylbrush
03-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Lazy day here. Spent most of the day eating and resting. Did make bread and cinnamon rolls this morning.

Was in the garden and found the epidendrum radican in bloom. Oh I think this orchid is a beauty.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2015/36241-epidendrum.jpeg

The tomatoes are doing well. So far the fruit is doing well. 2 flowers have set.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2015/36241-tomatobed.jpeg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2015/36241-tomatoes.jpeg

Lady Carol
03-15-2015, 08:08 PM
This sounds very close to the plotline of the movie "Sleeping with the Enemy".
:lol: is that what they call it now? Way back when....it used to be called marriage.:evil:

Fox_eNova
03-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Good one !

chammi kaiser
03-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Just got back from holiday. Spent two weeks on the Seychelles islands where it was very very hot and humid. We did some snorkelling but the reefs are badly damaged and most of the coral has died due to global warming. The seas was around 28 degrees C most of the time. I couldn't believe how pleased I was to get back to a cool climate. Nice surprise when I returned to find out that one of my two paintings had been sold at the exhibition whilst I was away. I put a hefty price on it as I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to sell it or not. I had posted it on WC - called it 'My Big Fat Red Umbrella'.

Nice to catch up with all the news. Had a good laugh at the discussion about things moving around unexpectedly in households where males have no idea where things should go. When Pete unloads the dishwasher , I find crockery and cutlery in the weirdest places. Drives me nuts!!
I asked him to take the laundry down to the washing machine. No sign of it . I found it in the public garbage bin. Granted it was in a plastic bag!!!

Shirl Parker
03-16-2015, 12:40 PM
It's been said that some of the "mistakes" men make are in fact "ploys" to frustrate so that you just do it yourself. :angel:

PattiLou
03-16-2015, 02:14 PM
It's been said that some of the "mistakes" men make are in fact "ploys" to frustrate so that you just do it yourself. :angel:I've heard that and I also believe it is true in the case of DH. :D

Welcome back Chammi. Nice to have a surprise when you returned home. :thumbsup:

ColinS
03-16-2015, 08:30 PM
It's been said that some of the "mistakes" men make are in fact "ploys" to frustrate so that you just do it yourself. :angel:

Dang she's a crafty one and is on to us!!! :lol: I confess to being like that with new technology. DW is much more clever than I am at figuring the newest gadgets. I look at the mass of wires, connections, plug ins and tiny buttons with impossibly small labels and just give up. She is far more intuitive about what wire goes where.

That's a beauty of an orchid, Howard. Congrats on the show going so well.

Congratulations to you too on the sale, Chammi. Glad you had a nice holiday in the Seychelles. Are they in the Indian Ocean? I always confuse them with the Maldives.

Fox_eNova
03-16-2015, 08:54 PM
AH! Don't want to start a sex war since I'm out numbered here, but are mystique and deception not a natural part of the female chromosomal make up. :lol:

WB Chammi, Congrats on a good profitable sale. I do not doubt that that the coral beds are under attack in places but Global Warming is a hoax blamed for most devastations in nature. We are on a living planet things live and die. Global Warming/Cimate Change, call it what you will, it's just a political money game. You should read more science news. (http://wnho.netglobal_warming.htm) The climate change disasters are being debunked on a daily basis lately. Even NOAH and NASA admitted they falsified temperature documents.

idylbrush
03-16-2015, 09:56 PM
This has been one of the worst days I have had in a very long time. Nothing is wanting to go well. Had to press to get an appointment that should have been made 2 weeks ago, everyone thought they could just ignore it and I would magically get better on my own. NOT!! Had a fellow vet think it was insultarama day at the group meeting. I missed that note and ended up being insulted, angry and disappointed. I think everyone has the right to an opinion but discrimination needs attention straight away. GRRRRR, Bah, Humbug, Argh. I ended up thinking that I may need to take a break from the group for a bit. At least until I get my composure back. I don't stay places where I am not wanted.

cliff.kachinske
03-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Chammi, congrats on the sale. Hope you made a gajillion of whatever currency is the current currency where you currently reside.

Howard, sorry to hear you had a bad day. If it helps, know that you gained a fan today. I googled your paintings. Awesome stuff. Your vision is incredible.

idylbrush
03-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks Cliff. Glad you like my efforts.

Had a trip to the oncologists today. Got home and right back to bed. Bad day.

idylbrush
03-17-2015, 09:02 PM
The company that supplied my server, well, the owner closed it right after getting his masters in computer 3D imaging and animation. So, I am without a web site at the moment. I need to figure something out.

Could this week get any better?

Fox_eNova
03-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Howard my web lives at IXwebhosting (http://www.ixwebhosting.com/hosting-plans). 100% reliable for me 10 years.
$3.95. (now) simple and lots of amenities. Free domain name reg & re-reg, etc.and...... the best part is: NO Advertizing or BS on your site pages !!!

cliff.kachinske
03-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Howard, if you want a Linux VPS, digitalocean.com starts at five bucks a month.

cliff.kachinske
03-18-2015, 09:41 AM
Today's pro tip: when unclogging the palette spray spritzer, point it away from your face. :lol: :lol:

Fox_eNova
03-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Today's pro tip: when unclogging the palette spray spritzer, point it away from your face. :lol: :lol: Cliff Let me add, the same applies for airbrushes that get clogged..from the idiot that knows. Would these tips apply to "Stupid Tricks that Artist Use" ? :lol: Some of us are also well experienced in dipping used paint brush in coffee.

cliff.kachinske
03-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Why do you think I use this? I call it idiot resistant. That's "resistant," because nothing can completely defeat the ingenuity of idiots.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Mar-2015/1965263-cup_foto.jpg

Charlie's Mum
03-18-2015, 04:23 PM
:lol::lol::lol: Eric and Cliff!!!!!!

My spray bottle broke a couple of days ago - well, the trigger did ... but I've had it a long time.:) - guess I'll need to shop!

Fox_eNova
03-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Aye, there is no cure for DA's

idylbrush
03-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the infor on the hosting sites. I will research them.

One of these days I need to get out to the studio and do some work.

idylbrush
03-19-2015, 03:25 PM
I saw where someone cut a stencil with contact paper. So off to the market and I cut the first stencil and it came out well.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Mar-2015/36241-Goldfishstencil.jpeg

Even if used only once or twice it is an inexpensive stencil and another can be cut in 5 minutes. YIPPEE!

Charlie's Mum
03-19-2015, 04:20 PM
All I can say is 'WOW'! :thumbsup:

Fox_eNova
03-19-2015, 05:18 PM
That's cool Howard. Contact paper, good idea!

PattiLou
03-20-2015, 01:29 PM
My neighbor just called me over to look at a snake... she thought it was a coral snake and was all in a tizzy. She beat it to death but even so, when I picked it up she almost freaked out. :lol: I knew it wasn't a coral snake as soon as I saw it, nothing but a harmless Eastern Milk Snake. Don't know why all my neighbors think they have to kill snakes. I keep telling them that they are good to have around. They just want to eat lizards and such and live in peace. :D

Buttons didn't eat this morning, don't know what is wrong, she is always hungry. Now she is snoozing between her bed and the sofa... she likes to be snuggled in a tight place. :lol: Silly dog. Get her a comfy new bed and she lays beside it. She laid beside the old one too if she wasn't on the sofa or end table.

Another nice (warm, heading for hot) day.

idylbrush
03-20-2015, 03:39 PM
After a trip to Bay Pines, I stopped at the market and strawberries were on sale again. So, 45 minutes later I ended up with this...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2015/36241-jam.jpeg

Raymo
03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Don't know why all my neighbors think they have to kill snakes.

Buttons didn't eat this morning, don't know what is wrong, she is always hungry.

Obviously one of the snakes beat her up. :evil:

Charlie's Mum
03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Patti - is Buttons OK today?

Hello Raymo - seldom see you these days and I miss all the news about your feline friends - wild and domesticated!!!:D

Lady Carol
03-21-2015, 08:16 PM
My boy is back. Where ya been Raymo?

ColinS
03-21-2015, 09:07 PM
Obviously one of the snakes beat her up. :evil:

That was my thought too, Raymo. :lol:

PattiLou
03-21-2015, 09:18 PM
Don't know what was wrong with the furball but she is back to eating today. She is always sticking her nose in things when we walk so maybe she snacked on something she shouldn't have. I really have to watch her 'cause she is so curious about toads and frogs and i've seen her eat acorns and cigarette butts. Gonna have to put a muzzle on her if she keeps it up! :eek:

He Raymo, good to see ya. Why don't you stop by more often, we miss your smiling face.

idylbrush
03-21-2015, 10:40 PM
My Yorkie would go off her feed now and again. It generally lasted a day and then she was fine. It is always concerning when they stop eating.

Got a pair of walking shoes yesterday and put the no tie laces in today. Not a bad idea. Also ordered a set of zubits. Should arrive early next month. These are the first shoes of this type I have owned in 12 years at least.

Waiting for surgery on my right hand and elbow. Coming up on April 3rd. I guess it is good that I am left handed. That was done a year ago and is doing fine. Unfortunately, the surgery requires general anesthesia and not twilight anesthesia.

Made ratatouille tonight for dinner. It was delicious. Thank goodness there are leftovers.

Time for bed, night all.

Charlie's Mum
03-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Glad Buttons is OK Patti.:)

Gorgeous day here so have done some dead-heading to allow hydrangeas and peonies to put on a spurt .... hoped to cut the grass but that would be too much after the couple of hours already spent out there! Won't get it done tomorrow either - weather forecast is not at all good for this coming week - more Atlantic wind and rain :rolleyes: ....... anyway, my garden bin is full!!:lol:

DH used to make a delicious ratatouille too Howard - it takes a fair bit of prep though so I'll have to wait until he can stand for a longer period again!

We opened up the other place last week - just went for a few hours but have to go back tomorrow and it's still too cold to stay overnight .. well, for D it is!
But, the boiler needs to be serviced and we have to leave the book out for the engineer ... if only we'd known that last week! These are new boilers installed and apparently the servicing is somewhat different from the older type. (Boiler = furnace in USA? - for hot water and heating.)
I was expecting to see new lambs last week but they're obviously still under shelter - don't blame them, it was cold - brrrr!

Got some mini daffs blooming - in pots - but the bigger ones will be out soon - I already have three or so where they're in shelter - nice to see the bright yellow of Spring!:)

Shirl Parker
03-22-2015, 01:05 PM
This is one of our first signs of spring in South Texas. Taken with my iPhone 6+.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2015/113427-2015-03-19_10.00.33.jpeg

Lady Carol
03-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Daffodils are my favourite flower. They are bright yellow with a sunny disposition, and they stink of spring :D

idylbrush
03-22-2015, 08:11 PM
I feel the same about forsythia.

Todays effort in the kitchen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Mar-2015/36241-chocolatechip.jpeg

Charlie's Mum
03-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Shirl - what is the flower - very pretty!:)

Shirl Parker
03-23-2015, 12:40 PM
It's a Pink Evening Primrose (Oenothera speciosa Nutt.
Pink evening primrose, Showy evening primrose, Mexican evening primrose). Which is weird as they aren't there in the evening, but are open first thing in the morning.

Charlie's Mum
03-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks Shirl - I thought it looked like an Evening Primrose but here they're much taller, bushier plants and most of ours are yellow.

idylbrush
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Today was the accountant. Glad to have that out of the way.

Tomorrow is back to Bay Pines for a follow up.

April 3rd is surgery, may be down and out for a day or so...maybe three.

Nothing happening in the studio yet but was fiddling with some paper yesterday, can work be far off.

Charlie's Mum
03-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Friday 3rd is Good Friday - didn't think they'd do elective surgery on a Bank Holiday Howard - unless it's not an official holiday in he States?

Good luck anyway and hope it's successful.:)

idylbrush
03-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Checked and double checked and surgery is the third. Don't think good Friday is a national holiday.

chammi kaiser
03-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Catching up on all your news. I am pleased Buttons is feeling better Patti. Always worrying when a pet is not feeling well.

I have been on holiday on the Seychelles Islands for two weeks. Fantastic experience with unbelievable heat as they are almost on the Equator. Saw some beautiful fish and a large sting ray floated past me whilst I was snorkelling.

I am always horrified at the way people kill snakes. They are usually shy and only aggressive when cornered. In South Africa, I had a large Cobra that would slither across the lawn and drink the drips from the garden tap. Must admit, I left it dripping on purpose as I loved to see the snake each day. I had to keep the dogs locked up in the early morning until the fellow had gone back into the bush. In Natal where I lived for four years (sub-tropical area), I saw a beautiful green Mamba winding its way across the grass. Unfortunately, I only spotted it twice.

Germany is in mourning for the victims of the terrible air crash of a German Wings flight where 150 people were killed including a number of 15 and 16 year old pupils who were on a week's cultural holiday in Barcelona. My heart just aches for those parents and for all the relatives and friends who have lost loved ones.

idylbrush
03-25-2015, 10:07 AM
The ramifications of this accident are far reaching and personal to many. It is never easy to have so many lost and without warning. Blessings to the families, friends and those who are deeply touched by this.

Charlie's Mum
03-25-2015, 11:52 AM
Dreadful crash in the Alps and such a difficult time for the families and the town and school where the 16 pupils and 2 teachers should be.
So sad - and a horrible task for those involved in retrieving all the bodies - such a difficult place to reach.
We are all touched by such tragedies I think ........ 'there but for the grace of God .........'

ColinS
03-26-2015, 01:04 AM
Such bad news about that awful plane crash. Terrible tragedy for all affected.

Well, DW has moved my studio into the storage room to make way for houseguests. She actually did a great job setting it all up while I was at work yesterday. I think I'll adjust. :) and its a bonus that the storage room has a laundry tub so I have water!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2015/1183569-image.jpg

idylbrush
03-26-2015, 06:12 AM
Can a shed in the backyard be far off?

Have seen some very nice studio sheds on Houzz.

Waxed the black frame to get a satin finish. Think it was a good choice. Thinking it looks fairly good. Found a finish that has orange oil and bees wax. Will put several layers on it but so far am impressed. Also located, but did not purchase, a satin finish spray lacquer. Will investigate that further as well.

More blue iris blooms yesterday.

Looking at a red/white sported camellia bush for the front yard. Very pretty. I like having red and white in any garden.

Charlie's Mum
03-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Colin - and its a bonus that the storage room has a laundry tub so I have water would love this too instead of umpteen jars and trailing to kitchen for washing and refills!

Howard - Have seen some very nice studio sheds would also love one of these! There are beauties around and we have a big enough garden but the costs are huge here! Can't justify one at this stage in my life! :lol:

Cold, windy, sleet today, hail yesterday ....... think Spring forgot to come!

My camellias aren't in bloom yet but there's a gorgeous flower from next door's plant coming through our fence and that one spot of red is just delightful!
In our little walk up to the village park yesterday noticed a friend's bush in full bloom ..... mine are showing only buds!

idylbrush
03-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Looking for a camellia bush. It may take a bit of doing but I will find a way to get one somehow. I am really keen on the red and white blossom. Think it will make a huge impact on the front yard.

Rick G
03-26-2015, 12:27 PM
This is a pretty fun idea:

/CBwpON6HIR8

Charlie's Mum
03-26-2015, 04:33 PM
What fun! There are some clever people around!
Thanks Rick:)

Rick G
03-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Beautiful day here today. I was at the local garden shop picking up a few rhodies and there right in front of me was a potted camellia with red and white blooms. I don't know if it would survive the cross-country trip Howard, but I thought of you when I saw it. I also thought of you and your stencil machine when I watched that video I posted. Amazing how we live all around the globe and yet touch one another's lives through this community.

Raymo
03-26-2015, 08:17 PM
Merwyn has a snake on the patio. Mae just stuck her nose up at it cause it wasn't her capture. It's nice down this way too Ricky Ricardo.
Fly me over, MoMo, I'll build that shed.

idylbrush
03-27-2015, 06:26 AM
Glad today is Friday. Not for any special reason other than I can rest a bit on the weekends. Something that has become a bit tricky on week days.

Was doing something in the studio the other day, got a phone call, and during the call I found myself holding a piece of handmade paper up against a canvas I have ignored far to long. Maybe my muse has decided to return for a quick visit.

cliff.kachinske
03-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Yesterday wasted. Had to go off and accumulate some billable hours. Found a good foto on our evening walk, so not a total loss.

More of the same today.

Charlie's Mum
03-27-2015, 07:59 AM
I see you're in Eritrea now Raymo - OK, hop over here and bring a super-duper studio shed with you!;) ..... I'll make you a dinner ;):lol: - fair exchange eh?:lol:

Been a lovely morning here now the rain clouds are building and strong winds forecast :(

Lady Carol
03-28-2015, 08:51 AM
I guys. I have been kind of absent for a while dealing with BS at work. I think I am finally out the other side of all the crap. To make a kind of long story somewhat short, we had labs at a satellite facility from where I am located and that facility kicked them out. So there was a rush to get them situated elsewhere and I was a causalty of that and had to move my lab in 2 weeks :eek: my last lab was 1000 sq ft, large enough to house my supplies, fridges, freezers etc. so I was told that I was getting two labs about an equivalent size to what I had. One lab had a person in it who had been terminated, their last day mid April.

I think ok I can do this in the two weeks allotted and round up my students and put them to work. I figured 1 lab I would use and the other use for storage. A week into it my boss changes his mind and I am constrained to the lab that has the person in it. She has crap everywhere, so we decide to divide the lab in half although it is not really halved as she has her crap in drawers and I put up shelves and pack in as much as I can. Meanwhile the deadline for me to get out is fast approaching and the boss finally realizes the situation I am in and gives me temporary storage in another lab that is closed but soon to be used by investigators.

I spend two weeks to the end of February stuffing this other lab just so I can be out of mine in time, and then I have spent all this month trying to squirrel away my supplies in various closets and places throughout the building. The facilities people also took pity on me and put up shelves on my side of the lab as a priority and found me a storage closet that they gave me. They are also on the lookout for another storage closet for me to have. Finally I am out of the temporary lab except for my fridge and freezer that will move Monday or Tuesday next week.

But what makes this the most annoying is that, in 3 months I will move lab again to a much larger lab space when that will come available. Moving lab is a huge under worse than moving house taking trying to keep track of where tips and tubes and culture supplies are. Storage of this is mostly plastics, so they keep almost forever. I am a bit of a lab hoarder to say the least, as supplies are expensive and I don't want to throw anything away only to say I wish I had that. The other added benefit of using the spare lab temporarily was that the current owner is closing it, and I got a bunch of stuff and equipment that we will use.

The stress of moving and the exercise made me lose 10 pounds so that is a good thing. To add to the aggravation, the current tenet in the lab who has been fired has caused all sorts of problems, accusing me of taking notebooks, no PI takes notebooks, stealing a pipettor, I have plenty of my own and don't need hers, and just generally made life difficult. The whole situation is not ideal. I can't wait for her to be gone.

Charlie's Mum
03-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Dreadful! What an awful time Carol.
I once went through the process of one school moving, lock, stock and barrel to another school on the edge of town - but we were fortunate, the building was brand new and no-one already in residence! That move was stressful enough - would have hated putting up with all the problems you've encountered.
so ... :grouphug: for sympathy!:)

ColinS
03-28-2015, 10:40 AM
That sounds tough, Carol. Hope it all settles down for you. Your short term lab mate sounds like a piece of work with all the accusations. Seems like she wants to make trouble.

Had to go to Vancouver yesterday on the earliest ferry to deliver a lecture, so I was up and on the road by 5:30 am. But the bonus was a beautiful sunrise as the ferry was leaving the dock, with the sun coming up from behind Mount Baker. And the return trip in the afternoon was just as nice. The Giulf Islands are all lush and green at this time of year. Unfortunately the weather is changing to rain, so the weekend doesn't look as good.

Lady Carol
03-28-2015, 11:26 AM
It has been really awful to say the least. Handling lab stuff gives the sense that it is contaminated even if it is a bag of tubes that is unopened and has been in a drawer for years. This is because they teach us good laboratory practices, wear gloves at all times, lab coat etc and wash hands frequently. Really it is only applicable when handling biologicals. But the feeling that everything is contaminated by association when it isn't, is hard wired. I am also due to years in a lab very sensitive to when my hands don't feel clean, so I am a frequent hand washer as a result, not quite obsessive at it yet :D and that is only a matter of time I think :lol:

Thanks for the hugs and thoughts.

Colin it sounds as though you had a nice ferry ride, although 5:30 is a little too early for me and I would have negotiated a later time for a lecture :lol:

idylbrush
03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Carol, is sounds as though you have had your hands full for a while. Hope it settles out soon. That kind of stress is not necessary.

Had an almost interesting week. All sorts of things going on at the moment. A bit of an overload.

AprilJoy
03-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Howdy, All!
Trying to stay caught up on everyone's news while painting and planning.

Carol- I don't envy all that moving & reorganizing one little bit!

I'm working on my huge canvas ("Impending Doom") while trying to keep work studio busy.

Considering leaving my neighboring "gallery".
The owner isn't discerning and has an "it's all art" mentality when agreeing to "artists" who tend to spend at her place.
The art is being shifted to make room for crafts.
It doesn't feel right to me...

chammi kaiser
03-29-2015, 05:16 AM
Carol, what an awful, stressful time for you. To have someone accusing you falsely on top of trying to move must be pure hell. Hope things are sorting themselves out now. Hang in there and good luck. Big comforting hug from Bavaria.

Off to the Easter Market. Weather isn't the greatest so the brass bands that play every year at the fountains are not going to have it easy. We have a number of natural springs throughout our small town and each year at Easter they are decorated by clubs, schools etc. and are really charming. Here is a typical example.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/39224-17.04.2011_14-35-40_0074a.jpg

idylbrush
03-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Chammi, thank you for the photo. What a charming event this must be.

Today is a day for chores. Have been running most of the morning.

Actually spent a few minutes in the studio prepping a stencil for painting. Going to give it a whirl here in a few minutes. Right after lunch.

Hope all had a wonderful weekend.

Lady Carol
03-29-2015, 01:15 PM
I knew I could vent and i would get cyber hugs. Thanks for the hugs Howard, April & Chammi.

Raymo
03-29-2015, 01:47 PM
My boy is back.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/142029-image.jpg I knew you loved me !

*whatever happened to my lab coat, dark rim glasses, Tina Louise lookalike pic ?

Raymo
03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
:heart: Hi Raymo :heart: good to see ya. :heart: Why don't you stop by more often, I miss you something awful. :heart:
Awww that's so sweet PaddyCakes ! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Love/wink-kiss-034.gif Careful what you ask for. :lol:

Raymo
03-29-2015, 02:00 PM
I knew I could vent and i would get cyber hugs. Thanks for the hugs Howard, April & Chammi.
If you need any glassware for your new lab, I have some old canning jars I could scrounge up for you. Probly work just as well. I saw where you said you were squirreling away supplies. Anyways glad to be of help....later squirrel girrel ! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Love/wink-kiss-034.gif

Raymo
03-29-2015, 02:04 PM
It's drndl wearing season and I wanna pic this year. Don't make me come over there and take one myself.

:heart: You know who you are ! :heart:

Raymo
03-29-2015, 02:16 PM
AprilMay >>------------>http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Love/kiss-106.gif

idylbrush
03-29-2015, 07:34 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/36241-Fritata.jpeg

Dinner. Cheese and herb frittata with woven bacon square.

Perfect way to end the weekend.

Lady Carol
03-29-2015, 07:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2015/142029-image.jpg I knew you loved me !

*whatever happened to my lab coat, dark rim glasses, Tina Louise lookalike pic ?
Of course I loves ya. Why would I not?

As for the pic, I sent it ages ago. What have YOU done with it?

Lady Carol
03-29-2015, 07:41 PM
If you need any glassware for your new lab, I have some old canning jars I could scrounge up for you. Probly work just as well. I saw where you said you were squirreling away supplies. Anyways glad to be of help....later squirrel girrel ! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Love/wink-kiss-034.gif
Sure send over canning jars....whatever. I have some stashed away already. I will send them back when I am done using them.

PattiLou
03-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Woohoo... Raymo is back and feeling his oats. :lol: :lol: :lol: Don't think I would want used lab jars back if I were you. :D

Oh my Howard that looks real good. Bring on the bacon!

Been busy and not getting much done. Well, except spend money! Got new wheels, a Jeep Rubicon with lots of new buttons and gadgets to learn. I finally sorted out my new computer and then we go and get something else to figure out. Had cataract surgery Wednesday and so far everything is going good. Have to see the doc again on Tuesday so he can tell me I am doing well enough to have the other eye done on Wednesday and then a followup on Thursday. Too many doctor appointments take away from studio time and I have not made it out there for any amount of time... at least not productive time.

Charlie's Mum
03-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Patti - been thinking of you during the week and glad all has gone well :thumbsup: - surely this week will too :)

Howard - crispy (kizzened) bacon - ahhhh - goodness personified (food-wise!):lol:

Hi again Raymo :wave: ........ those cats still ruling the roost?:D

PattiLou
03-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks for thinking about me Maureen. I am very positive things are going to go splendidly... too stubborn and ornery for any other outcome. :angel:

Today started out a chilly 42 degrees but at least no wind. Now it's sunny and 70 degrees. You have to be prepared for a clothing change at any time of day. :lol:

DH is putting a base plate on the Jeep for the tow bar. I'm sure I can hear all kinds of 4-letter words even though he is at a neighbors home. After that he gets to rewire the lights for towing. He had the hots for a new car but I think he forgot about the extra bits of work to be done before using it on the road. Good thing we are not going anywhere real soon! :D

Charlie's Mum
03-30-2015, 05:01 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

chammi kaiser
03-31-2015, 03:22 AM
Oh wow, my handsome friend is back. Missed you. How many more photos do you want of me in my dirndl????:confused: :D

Patti. I can just imagine the air being a little blue around that hubby of yours. Pete manages to swear under his breath which produces smoke signals!!

The wind is howling here today. Over 100 km per hour so there is a lot of creaking and groaning in our roof. The huge fir trees are swaying ominously at the bottom of the garden. We have a weather warning from the met station in Bavaria.

Busy making my Easter Card - always a little whacky but fun to do.

Hugs everybody.

cem
03-31-2015, 10:38 AM
I haven't dropped into the cafe for a while now. Goodness, so much going on.
Carol, I can't imagine the stress you are under with that situation. And as for the move, I get overwhelmed when I try to clean my studio:)
Great pic, Chammi! What fun that all must be. Hoping those winds don't damage your property.
Greetings Raymo! It's about time you came back home:)
Patti, good to know the first surgery has been successful. I'm sure the second will be as well. I have that to look forward to myself whenever the docs decide the cataracts are bad enough. Having injections in the right eye every 6-8 wks. No fun!
Howard, you make my mouth water!
Weather is making the big change here in Texas. Not looking forward to the sweltering summer heat.
Y'all have a wonderful day!

idylbrush
03-31-2015, 11:38 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2015/36241-pruneupdsidedowncake.jpeg

Prune upside down cake. My mother-in-law made this and I had heard from family it was great. So, Nephew Ric sent me the recipe and I made it this morning.

Charlie's Mum
03-31-2015, 12:11 PM
Looks delicious Howard:)
I thought at first it was a Florentine but then realised it's much too big ........ course, I suppose one could make a LARGE Florentine - yummy!:)

Shirl Parker
03-31-2015, 12:29 PM
Howard, don't eat more than one slice a day !

idylbrush
03-31-2015, 01:08 PM
To late!

cem
03-31-2015, 02:30 PM
I would be tempted to sneak a bite every time I got near it. Looks delicious Howard!

Charlie's Mum
03-31-2015, 03:36 PM
I would be tempted to sneak a bite every time I got near it. Looks delicious Howard!

I think Howard already succumbed!:lol:

Lady Carol
03-31-2015, 04:45 PM
Prune upside down cake.
:music: :music: prunes, prunes, the magical fruit...............:music: :music:

Is that pic out of focus, or do I finally need glasses?

idylbrush
03-31-2015, 08:33 PM
It has a wiggle to it. I do believe there may be a mix-up in your song.

Had a blue cheese stuffed burger for dinner. YUM!

Beautiful day here. Lots of sun and warmth. Have a pineapple top to plant. I do believe it is ready. The red geranium out front is going wild. Great stuff.