PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost March 2015

*Deirdre*
03-01-2015, 02:42 AM
Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us
here's hoping Robert Sloan will feel better this month and has got over his nasty bout of feelng debilitated:wave:

Mij
03-01-2015, 05:39 AM
Thanks for starting us off Diedre and congrats on the birthday yesterday. I do hope your move goes smoothly, it's always an upheaval to move house. SWMBO loves it, I hate it.

I will try the pastel box again this month.
I have a watercolour with JFD next Saturday and the postponed trip to Ringwood on the twelth.
jim

getdusty
03-01-2015, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Deidre, and a happy birthday from NY. Good luck on the move. More Painting...simple and sweet and yet it seems so hard for me to do. I'm excited that I just registered for an Eliz. Mowry workshop. It's not until October, but she'll be in a neighboring town. Couldn't pass it up.

robertsloan2
03-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Purr thanks Deirdre! Sorry I didn't post yesterday, would've been kind of early on account of went to bed early with stupid cold. I am so grateful you jump in when I miss it. Happy Birthday! Good luck on the move.

Jim, yay for your pastel box, watercolor lesson and trip. I hope that all comes out swimmingly!

Peg, that's so cool about the workshop! Good simple goal.

Spring is here and I'm still under the weather, mostly because this winter has now become The Worst Winter For Being Down With Colds in a decade. Grr. I'm about fed up with dripping, coughing, sneezing, eyes watering and being too drug out to do much of anything. Worst of all, when my whole face is dripping and itchy I tend not to want to get dusty but drift toward water media or anything that's easier to clean up.

Nonetheless, I love pastels...

So this month's goals:

1. Finish my 30 Cats in 30 Days Facebook challenge by doing 21 more cat drawings or paintings, gestures count. I have to do Lots of Little Ari sketches to have 21 done by the end of March 5th, but I still might do it. That's only 4 or 5 cat gestures a day, less if I go overboard and do more cats in a day. I might get silly and include cartoons, I could do anything with it.

2. Pastel Spotlight. I like doing a Spotlight every month, at least one.

3. Daily Painting or Drawing, Health Permitting.

I don't have anything else in mind for March, so I'm going to relax and call that it for goals. Maybe because I'm making them up on a day when I've got a cold, not feeling super ambitious. Except to finish the cats challenge. If I don't get all of them done I'll post cats I've done previously on the last day.

ural jones
03-01-2015, 02:46 PM
My goal is to just keep everything moved outta the way!

spirothet
03-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Decided this month to post a goal. It has taken me a long long time to get moving again and I hope this will keep me focused. So, for March, I'd like to complete two spotlight paintings. In addition, I need to begin 13 small 5 x 7 paintings for my pre-K kids as their graduating gift. I'm not sure what medium it will by, but probably I will do them in acrylics. I probably won't do 13, but if I get half done this month, that would make me happy.

Judibelle
03-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Good goals, so far!
Keep everything moved out of the way OF WHAT? Ural? Made me chuckle.

Can't quite keep my mind focused today...really 'out of it', so to speak.
But the Spotlight photos are enticing....I will do at least 2 of them.
I will also continue my practice with fruits and veggies.
And I vow to comment more this month...been very lazy for a long time...time for a change.

Happy March, everyone!

Mij
03-01-2015, 09:50 PM
I will try the pastel box again this month.
I have a watercolour with JFD next Saturday and the postponed trip to Ringwood on the twelth.

Oooh, nice to see the goals racking up
I forgot, I have booked an oil painting portrait session with Mike Skidmore on the 20th an 21st of this month. That will take me away for two/three days.
jim

Judibelle
03-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Looks like a busy month for you, Jim...Have Fun!

Woke up to about 3 more inches of snow. Enough awready! And it is still coming down strong. Will this never end?

Did some pencil sketches of a couple of the Spotlight flowers...hope to get to do some painting today....we'll see...

getdusty
03-02-2015, 02:53 PM
No, Judi, I don't think it will ever end...this winter has been relentless!

spirothet
03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
I too had reached amen two years ago with snow and cold weather. That's when I decided to make a move to sunny Florida! I thought that was the worst winter, but this winter beats all. My hearts go out to those snow states!! It has taken me this long to get back to painting. So, please hold my feet to the fire for those two spotlights I promised!!

robertsloan2
03-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Awesome! Yesterday nothing, was just sick. I might wind up posting old cats for my 30 cats thing.

Mij
03-03-2015, 05:33 AM
I empathize with you Robert. I was too hot and started out early this morning. It was 09:00'ish when I started this but it wouldn't let me post as the site went down presumably for some necessary maintenance. My muscles are sore from coughing, eyes and nose streaming, sneezing 'til I think the top of my head is lifting off. And I want to consume all the wrong things that I should to reduce mass! Bread! Chips! Beer!

Thanks for the agreeing Judi, on reflection it seems a busy month. I know that only something drastic will keep me away from the portrait session and JFD's water colour session as I have made a financial commitment to them :D. I had to look up your location as I wasn't sure where New England was in the states :thumbsup:.

It looks as if you may be similar Peg, if you are getting the same weather. Over here its just rain, rain and more rain :(. It was raining earlier but looks as if it has stopped for a while.

Hi there Cali, nice to see you again. Yes I too thought that Florida was called the sunshine state? Did you not have a sunny winter then?
No we don't hold onto any goals as hard as that, what doesn't get done this month can always be done next month :angel:.
jim

robertsloan2
03-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Jim, I thought that was the sort of year round default for the UK - sort of sweater-raincoat chilly, with lots of rain, something like a monsoon in autumn sort of climate. Like the first thing any toddler gets is its own umbrella. A week or so of sunny days scattered about the calendar separately in a way that none of them coincide with scheduled holidays or weekends. Sounds like it's more than usual from what you're saying.

I'm still annoyed and still dripping but I finished up 30 Cats by posting eleven older cat drawings and paintings yesterday. So it's done. Not as planned with 30 new cats, but, lots of cats anyway. And one silly cartoon "Why I Like Drawing Pears" as the last new one. Pear with a stem in the first panel. Second panel same pear shape with black ears, tail, one small foot and whiskers like a cat sitting wide-bottomed looking away. Inspired by my daughter's comment that Princess China, my granddaughter's cat, is getting pear shaped and plump. They do when fat or if they sit in a certain way.

Ari is actually quite lean but can do the Pear Pose if he sort of slumps a bit and sits facing away with his rear end relaxed and front end sitting up straight. It's common. A lot of times his front end and rear end are doing completely different things and especially going in different directions. Sometimes each leg is going in a different direction.

But still down with the cold. Itching to do a Spotlight but not quite up to the dust.

Mij
03-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Yay! Quite right there Robert. The weather here is as you describe, it's the temperature that gives us the seasons :lol:. When I come in from out and say "it's really sharp out" That says winter to me. When the north wind doth blow then we shall have snow :angel:.

Then we have "the evenings are drawing out" That means spring is in the air.

If I put the bins out at 12:00 midnight and say "it's a balmy night" then summer is icuminin, gaily sing cuckoo.

Of course Autumn (Fall in USA) gives us the painters paradise with lovely colours in the trees.
We do duck and dive with the showers and always keep a brolly and wellies in the boot of the car :thumbsup:.
jim

robertsloan2
03-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Your language is beautiful and sings in my heart, Jim. English English is the best. That's so lyrical. I like all those expressions but especially "the evenings are drawing out."

Today I have Johannes Vloothuis class on Watercolor landscape and it's great. He's doing green foliage! So that counts as Artish whether I paint along or not.

Judibelle
03-07-2015, 05:13 PM
....and tonight we easterners turn our clocks forward an hour....maybe the evenings will start drawing out....one can only hope...

Mij
03-07-2015, 09:52 PM
....and tonight we easterners turn our clocks forward an hour....maybe the evenings will start drawing out....one can only hope... Aha but your a forward lot. I think ours does that on the Saturday night/Sunday morning of the 21/22 of the month :clear::angel::lol:.
Roll on to the drawing out of the evenings.

BTW I did the JFD workshop today but I realized a problem - we work from a small reference and my eyes are limited - so I make assumptions about the image which fall far from the outcome. BLEUCH! :eek::angel::lol:
jim

robertsloan2
03-11-2015, 01:12 AM
Everyone be very careful on the road and get enough sleep. This is the week in the USA where you stand the most chance of an auto accident. If you do have to go out, be sure you're rested! If you have a choice, it's a good week to stay home and paint.

So naturally I'm going out tomorrow because it's my regular appointment day. Still got the tail end of the cold. It is starting to slowly lighten up bit last time it did that it turned around and came back. Hopefully I will not wind up wiping out tomorrow. What I probably will do is at least a sketch, possibly in water media which is fast and easy and not dusty when my nose is running.

What I'd love to do is a Colourist purple flower and enter it in Blick's current Spring Blooms contest. Spotlight and Blick contest theme together? Would be so sweet! Tulips are a spring flower!

So if I feel really good after going (as sometimes happens due to medication) I might have a go at starting it. Maybe instead of trying to do the whole thing in a day I can do Stage One and post it. That worked for the Rose!

*Deirdre*
03-11-2015, 05:37 AM
Go for it Robert! I did, with my Snapdragon and Bee...but forgot to read the rules, which say ONLY USA residents can enter:crying:
My goal this month is to find a new home....which is talking a lot of my time, but, we'll get there somehow!

Keep safe, all of you!:D

robertsloan2
03-12-2015, 01:59 AM
Oh wow, yeah. Finding a house is hard and complicated. Good luck to you! I did one page in my watermedia journal with some azaleas in it. Originally meant to do a dark background with negative painting but didn't. Processing the image now to post on my art journals thread and Watermedia forum. It's a flower but I think Colourful Tulip or Iris would be a better spring flower.

Though they are judging the contest at random so it almost doesn't matter. I could post this one if I don't get a better spring flowers one. Azaleas are spring flowers here!

Mij
03-12-2015, 05:27 AM
My goal this month is to find a new home....which is talking a lot of my time,

Keep safe, all of you!:D
Best of luck finding a new home Deirdre, I hate moving and SWMBO loves it. This is the longest she has stayed in one place- 22 years :wink2:.
Best of luck with the azelias Robert, I have just noticed some tulips (I think that's what they are) have come up in the pots in the front garden.
I have a non-art goal today - taxi-ing SWMBO to Ringwood and back. The AA routemaster says 2 1/2 hours one way but the traffic can double that. I had better check that the mobile phone is charged.
Jim

Mij
03-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Thanks be we made it there and back safely and the traffic wasn't too bad. 2 3/4 hours each way not including the stop on the way down as a break was necessary :thumbsup:.
Now what was my art goals again, oh yes, pastel box.......:wink2:
jim

Judibelle
03-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi Jim...glad you made it down and back without too much trouble! Yes, on to the pastel box!
Deirdre...hoping you find a home soon!

I haven't done any more since I started a Spotlight on last week...hopefully may get back to it today. It's the Color Purple....

getdusty
03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Jim, glad your trip was safely made and Deidre, that you have success in your house hunt. I've gone to a few extra classes and so have gotten in more painting than usual. It helps to have the same goal repeat every month :) Just noticed some tiny crocus shoots coming up in a small patch of snow free yard and one blooming snowdrop. However, there's talk of a bad snowstorm Monday night into Tues. arghhh!

robertsloan2
03-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Yay Jim! Glad you got through the trip safely and are going to work on pastl box.

Purr yay Peg, more painting rocks. So do crocuses. I love those. Ouch on the snowstorm.

I've been having weird pressure changes banging my joints and bad leg cramps, knee and back trouble from the stairs climb on Wednesday, today was blotto with pain, no painting yet. Might get to my underpainting tomorrow if it lightens up, second day after overexertion is always the worst. This time I think it's been a particularly bad one. But hopefully if I sleep a lot I might get past it enough to underpaint.

Dougwas
03-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Hi Gang!

I haven't been doing much art these days, but I am squeezing in some when I am able. We have been travelling back and forth from our home and the big city and we will probably be doing that for the near future. We just got to the in-law's home yesterday afternoon right and the plan is to return home on Monday morning. Everything is going fairly well right now, but we are all taking it one day at a time.

One thing about being here is I am very close (too close:clear: ) to my favourite art store. The manager and I are on first name basis and she introduced me to the owner as one of her best customers! :eek: That is pretty bad when consider that I live over four hours away from the store. It's all my wife's fault. She is an enabler. She doesn't mind me spending money on art supplies, because she knows that I use them daily when we are at home. True love. :heart:

I better get going. We are off again in a few minutes. Good luck with all you goals, everyone, and I will be back as soon as possible.

Take care.

Doug

water girl
03-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Robert, I'm catching up on my WC and saw your warning about traffic accidents. You are spot on, my friend. Monday, a young gal in a brand new Jeep Cherokee side swiped my husband's pick up truck as he was driving home from work. Yes, just drifted into him for no apparent reason. Less than half a mile from the house. He is fine, but his poor truck....:(

robertsloan2
03-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Aw Karen, that's so rough. Sorry to hear about his truck but so glad he came out of it all right. Hope the truck is at least functional if ugly.

Doug, your wife sounds wonderful! Yay for your local art store. Rough that it's so long a drive but sounds like they really like you. I'll bet they special order things for you even if they don't usually carry them, my favorite art store in New Orleans did before it closed. It was sad to lose that location on Jackson Square, felt like a chunk of history was vanishing.

Still haven't painted since Wednesday's azalea, fighting the sports injuries from the elevator being down and sleeping like my cat. Got the itch to pastel big and bad though. Might put off the coated paper and get out some of me Uart instead...

robertsloan2
03-15-2015, 12:24 AM
Well, finally alive again! The cold's over and today I did get started on my Spotlight Tulip. Stage 1 done and start of Stage 2, did all the Pan Pastels stuff on it. Switching next to sticks or pastel pencils.

Mij
03-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks Judi, Peg and Karen. Was this anything to do with Friday the 13th ?I did get into a close encounter with white-van-man that was too close to our tail and I braked to allow a very heavy truck to come out (he is not supposed to be in the third lane of a motorway) anyway, no way was I arguing with the lorry. I had not clocked whether he was continental as they are left-hand-drive and squash anyone passing them as they do not see them.

Hi Robert. Good that the cold has finally left. Now you might be able to get on with some art.

Hello Doug. Good to hear from you and taking a day at a time. Yes it is good to have an art shop you can rely on even if they are a long way away. Email orders are dealt with quite quickly I find. Well as quick as I can fill my bank account anyway :lol:.

I have managed some non art goals. Source, locate, order and fit a louder doorbell. I keep missing the postal peeps. Visit an archery shop, take delivery and start tuning a compound bow. Order other bits needed to tune. I did make JFD's workshop but have yet to finish the picture. Make plans to go on the portrait in oils course this Friday back on Sunday. It's all go innit!
Jim
PS Deidre, SWMBO must have been telepathic. She has been looking at bungalows.....:evil:

robertsloan2
03-18-2015, 12:01 AM
Oh right, there was a Friday the 13th! Did not get celebrated by any serial killers in weird costumes in my neighborhood, on the other hand my building is not exactly noted for squealing teenagers trying to find a place to have sex. More like elderly and disabled including a serious number of veterans. They may not all have a full set of limbs but they're still pretty tough. Plus a dog that sounds like a kill trained Rottweiler even if she's actually only a 20lb rat terrier. She just has a long neck and a big voice. Ari is no longer scared of her since he actually met her and understands what she's saying.

But if you don't know her you'd swear a very large dangerous dog lived in the room next to mine. She is actually friendly and rowdy, likes to play in the hall, residents all know her and over time I came to distinguish "Happy happy let's play, I feel loud today" barking from "Warning! Danger! Someone not from the neighborhood just came into the building! Stranger, you die if you threaten my friends! I mean it!"

Ari now stops by their door and sniffs and says hi when he goes on his little hallway rambles, ever since he met her he stopped believing the bluff. But when we first moved in we were Stranger Danger and got growled at a lot. Out of sight maybe little Jackie thought Ari was a cougar moving into the city or something.

Judibelle
03-18-2015, 05:33 PM
I consider the 13th a lucky day whenever.....I was married on a Sat. the 13th, but have always considered Fri the 13th to be lucky also....

Doug....it was good to hear from you. Hope things continue to get better, and that you are able to do your painting.. Glad you have a 'friend' at the Art
Store. Hope you and the family continue to heal. Thinking of you, and missing you here on the forum...

Rob..Love your description of Ari and the DogNextDoor...
My Chihuahua barks at everyone who walks by the house, and recognizes certain dogs he wants to make friends with. But he's a scaredy-dog at heart.
He sounds fierce but is intimidated by bigger dogs..

I finally finished my 2 Spotlight works...did the clematis and the tulip together.
Stills need some 'cleaning up' around the edges,but posted it anyway.

robertsloan2
03-21-2015, 01:26 AM
Judi, loved your Spotlight! It's great. I worked on mine today and roughed in my planned background of yellow flowers behind and around my tulip. Going to play with it some more with Ludwigs next time. It needs something, maybe other smaller weedish flowers among them. Or change color on a couple of them to tie them together better.

I'll think about it and look at it, looks better than the plain orange did.

Your chihuahua is cool! Ari likes chihuahuas. He's bigger than they are, a good solid 15 pounds of cat. Very much a gentle giant with dogs smaller than he is, they don't scare him and he gets intrigued. I even thought of signing up for the city dog program to get him one, but I'd still have to walk it and right now the elevator still isn't working. But if I had a dog I could not wait till it worked again to go out, would be overdoing it daily.

Mij
03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Well done on getting so many spotlights completed. You all have done well.
I had my two day portrait in oils course in Lechlade with Mike and Cathy Skidmore. I am still quite unable to get a transfer of the features perzactly as the subject but I am getting better :lol: ....I think.....One of the difficulties is taking a photo with the teeth showing- this poses a problem for the artist. I make them look like tomb stones .....:lol:

I will need to go over them again...when it is dry about 6 months time I think.
jim

robertsloan2
03-23-2015, 03:07 AM
Jim, the trick to teeth that aren't tombstones is a couple of things. First, don't outline them. Draw them as a single curving shape with notches where one tooth meets another, but don't paint the line between them or draw it. Second, pay attention to values. They will be gray or neutral and darkest at the corners, lightest at the center, not actually white. They do read as white anyway but they don't look real without the outer teeth shading off gradually grayer. Each tooth darker as you proceed toward the back of the mouth. Pay attention to photo on values of gray.

I'd suggest using pure white only on one place in a portrait and that might be the catchlight reflection on the eye where it crosses the pupil. Place it there an eyes will become the most important focal point in the painting.

I discovered this about 3 years after I started selling porraits and basically kept people's mouths shut till then. lol

Yay, today finished the tulip painting! Didn't have energy to mat it afterward but I can do that tomorrow or later. It worked! I was really fighting with it, half of that was fighting the paper. Left me longing for Uart again!

Mij
03-23-2015, 05:28 PM
First, don't outline them. Draw them as a single curving shape with notches where one tooth meets another, but don't paint the line between them or draw it. Second, pay attention to values. I did this :)

They will be gray or neutral and darkest at the corners, lightest at the center, not actually white. I did this as well. I could not get them looking anything like the photo :eek:.
Mike did an article in the Leisure Painter magazine some time ago (2 or 3 years) and I followed it but did not do the colouring. Perhaps I can dig out that canvas and finish it :angel:.

I'd suggest using pure white only on one place in a portrait and that might be the catchlight reflection on the eye I remembered to do this as it makes the eye come alive immediately.
Yay, today finished the tulip painting! Good on you Robert, that was a good tulip. I really should try a flower or two, I have quite a few dvd's on how to do them.
jim

robertsloan2
03-26-2015, 12:40 AM
Did a couple of bad sketches but I'll post tomorrow, so tired. A pastel jonquil and watercolor marker palm and deciduous tree. Might continue them and finish them before posting, both are pretty rough.

Mij
03-26-2015, 10:48 AM
If you are going to post the bad sketches perhaps I'll post the bad portrait Robert :lol:.
jim

Judibelle
03-26-2015, 04:43 PM
i'm about ready to post my 'bad' purple flower, since we're all posting 'bad'...
sorry you're not feeling well again, Rob.

Jim, your portrait wasn't so bad...!

today was the first time I've gotten back to my purple flower in a couple of weeks.. I've got to do some more to clean up the background, but I will at least have completed 3 Spotlights. A new record, I guess...

Mij
03-26-2015, 09:31 PM
Jim, your portrait wasn't so bad...!. I wonder what you have been looking at JudiB. I have not posted it yet. It sounds as if you are mixing me up with someone else....I realise jim as a name is common.....:angel::lol:
jim

Judibelle
03-27-2015, 09:51 AM
OhMy, Jim...Could have sworn I followed a link to your portrait! OhWell..old age creeping up on me...Looking forward to seeing it when you do post it....

Mij
03-27-2015, 10:05 AM
I'd better check that it's ok first. I do not think it is a good likenesss and I'd prefer a lighter back ground. But we are our worst critics anyway. I'll have to wait until this layer is dried before I attempt any more.
jim

ural jones
03-27-2015, 10:54 AM
Hi Judib I think I am the only one , so far to post a portrait..(recent one anyway).:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Judibelle
03-27-2015, 11:22 AM
So probably it was yours that I saw, Ural....
Anyway, I liked it....

ural jones
03-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks Judib. If it was an ugly old man, then yes it was mine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

robertsloan2
03-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Jim, post your portrait. I finished my bad jonquil today and posted it. The watercolour marker sketch could also use some more work so I will post when it's done. Or just post it because it was from life and interrupted...

Mij
03-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Jim, post your portrait. I finished my bad jonquil today and posted it. The watercolour marker sketch could also use some more work so I will post when it's done. Or just post it because it was from life and interrupted... I am waiting for communication from my DIL to post on the 'net Robert. I will post as soon as they reply in the affirmative :thumbsup:. I will now go and look up your Jonquil :).
jim

Mij
03-28-2015, 09:59 PM
I will now go and look up your Jonquil :).
jim

It's lovely Robert. And so colourful. The one with a bit of blue really ups the contrast.
jim

Judibelle
03-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Sooo... one more day to go this month.
I actually did pretty well....4 Spotlights, and just today I took out an old one I was ready to throw out, looked at it a bit and decided to see if I could salvage it somehow. It was done at a Plein Aire Workshop with Frank Federico last fall, and it was AWful!
It had a watercolor underpainting on a board, which I wasn't used to....and the result was pretty bad. But today I could see some good in it, fixed a big eyesore, and am now a bit more satisfied with it.

Hope everyone has had a 'good' month, as well...

Mij
03-31-2015, 06:34 AM
Jim, post your portrait.

Ok have done it and I hope this works
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376286
That is the portrait page that I see it on, I hope you do too.
This is my DIL, Sylvia.
jim

Judibelle
03-31-2015, 10:41 AM
I think you have done very well with the portrait so far, Jim! Good for you!

getdusty
03-31-2015, 09:37 PM
Jim, what a great job! (and courageous :) )

robertsloan2
04-01-2015, 12:24 AM
Starting next month's thread a little early! So post the finish here and your new goals on the new thread!

I did very little but I'm happy with my one Spotlight painting!