PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Scumble March 2015

Shirl Parker
02-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our monthly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives! I hope you will all chime in and look forward to hearing about them.

:wave:

*Deirdre*
03-01-2015, 02:35 AM
Hi Shirl, thanks for starting this thread as usual!
I'm going to be in and out over the next few weeks as we're in process of selling up and moving nearer to our daughters, one of whom is going to make me a grandmother again by early June! Making a total of 2 Granddaughters, 3 Grandsons, not to mention 2 Great-Grandsons!...but I'll still be around, just busy clearing out 13 years of accumulated 'things', where on earth do they come from? I've even had to take 2 old pcs apart to remove their hard drives before throwing them out! Still, it's a good exercise, makes you feel really good that you finally got around to doing something about it, thinking tomorrow never comes...but it does!:evil: :lol:

robertsloan2
03-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Purr thanks for hosting, Shirl!

Wow, Deirdre, yeah, people who have houses wind up with a lot more stuff over time. 13 years is a long time for things to accumulate. Cool that you're saving the hard drives. That totally makes sense. Yay and congrats on the new grandchild, you've been very successful on the family thing!

I'm still grumpy because this has been the worst winter for my getting colds in the past decade. Seriously. I haven't been sick this often or this long since 2005 and I'm not living in Minnesota so it's not the weather alone. Maybe the viruses just made some kind of leap. I've lived here for 3 or 4 years now so that's time to have local immunities, unless the viruses just had a good year. I've seen a lot more other people getting colds too, it's just, yuck. The year of Stupid Colds.

Unfortunately I can't phone in sick from being disabled and have my regular disabilities turned off till I get over it. Nope. Just stuck with cold on top of all the usual chronic. There's down sides to this retirement-by-disability thing, and that's one of the biggies. It would've been lots easier to just be healthy and have a job. Heck if I was just healthy I'd be living on art.

ural jones
03-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Oh boy, looks like I have experience with both Deirdre and Robert!
Three years ago, we sold our place and moved 150 miles due to a grandchild birth.
I recovered from the flu I had for over a month and a half !!
Now days I am taking the little precious boy to
pre-school three days a week. And I don't miss the nice
studio I once had. It is happiness everyday for me!:heart:

DBfarmgirl
03-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Shirl- I can't imagine moving after being there for 13 years. My last move was from a 300 square foot apartment to this farm. I didn't have to get rid of anything and it was hard. Goodluck

Robert- I hope you finally kick the cold. It seems like some of them linger forever.

Ural- I look forward to grandchildren but (hopefully!) have a couple years to go. I hope I get the chance to help in their upbringing. I think a Grandparents help is priceless.

More snow here. ice. cold. I'm ready for spring.

the famous white rabbits escaped another close call with a rough legged hawk big enough to carry even a rabbit that size. Maybe they're smarter than I think?

I have a new visitor to my bird feeder- a carnivorous one.
I am pretty sure it is a immature sharp shinned hawk. they are not much bigger than a robin, but it can clear out all the birds in the area every time it shows up. It was only 6 feet from my sunroom window and was eating an unfortunate, but well fed bird.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2015/215035-IMG_4516re.jpg

Norma46
03-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Greetings all. As I look at all the complaints about the lousy weather, I, who have been grousing about the relatively bad weather we've been having in east central Florida, feel ashamed. My friends in Baltimore report they received 13 hours of sleet that froze on top of the heaps of snow they had earlier. And, another storm headed for the northeast. At least I can sit out on my balcony today and get a little sunshine, after several days of foggy and drizzle. Best to all for an artful March.

getdusty
03-02-2015, 09:17 PM
Norma, please sit on your balcony and enjoy it for those of us who can't even see their balconies, porches, decks...my pool is just a big mound of snow, but...spring is coming! I'll live vicariously through you :)

Leelanau
03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Having a puppy at home is a lot more work than I remember from the last one 10 years ago. He has me trained now. :) Everytime he goes to the back door, I let him out, because I'm tired of mopping. Unfortunately, we live on a river, full of wildlife, and I've found him going out to sit on the bank and watch the raptors, deer or squirrels while chewing on an acorn, instead of relieving himself.

Since this is every 15 minutes or so, I haven't done any painting since he got here. I have to break this cycle, or I'm never going to get any work done around here... except mopping.... LOL

robertsloan2
03-06-2015, 06:26 PM
DB wow! I love your immature sharp shinned hawk. That is a gorgeous photo! May I please paint that bird? She's beautiful, the photo you captured a great pose. I think I'd probably change the background a bit to make the hawk show up more in a painting but the pose is fantastic.

Lot of snow and bitter winter weather everywhere. I've been having sunny CA weather, it's just I haven't kicked the cold yet. Blech. Really tired of being sick. Norma, enjoy it and take some pastels out there in the sunshine to paint whatever you see - if you don't like the view pick out something specific or set up some fruits and stuff on a tray. Or just leave out everything but the trees, that's one way to do it.

I've got yellowish sunlight coming down the light well at the moment, it's just the right angle that the light's indirect but warm. And a lazy cat laying around the room being quietly fluffy.

We had New Bag Day a couple of days ago. When I sent my home care guy Elgie to Petco to get him a month's food, it comes in a pretty heavily sealed Mylar bag. When that bag is first opened, it's like when you take the seal off a fresh can of coffee grounds. Wow! Intense odor puffs out. Ari goes wild and dances around singing in his high kitten voice being all happy and thrilled and then he has to eat the fresh good food right from the bag. It's like a monthly little cat holiday, first opening the bag.

I do keep his food in a sealed plastic tub, something like tupperware, so it's not like it goes bad over the month. But New Bag Day is when he gets all crazy for it like he's in a cat food commercial and it's adorable. That's actually why I stopped getting the giant bag every four months in favor of the smaller bag every month, because he has so much fun with the odor seal opening. If it makes him happy it's worth it.

blr2449
03-06-2015, 09:14 PM
The icy cold is loosening it's grip o the upper Midwest. 40s and 50s here starting tomorrow for a week or so.:clap:

I finished my little 4"x 6" snow owl and will be looking for a frame and mat for it. My sister put dibs on it so I'll be sending it out after I post here in the gallery. :)

Next, I want to do a pastel-along with Bishnu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaiShRJNMWk

I want to break out the oil paints and do a Bob Ross painting and then play with my new water-soluble crayon.

Shirl Parker
03-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Robert, I've been having allergic/cold/cough/respiratory symptoms for months. I've been taking generic allergy pill like Claritin, and used up several bottles of nasal spray similar to Flonase and Nasacort. Finally I bought some "sterile saline nasal mist" from Walgreens and then some "simply saline nasal mist" by Arm and Hammer. Both are non-habit forming, non-addicting and can be use as often as needed. I'm almost normal now.

DBfarmgirl
03-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Shirl- that stuff is a life saver! I have used it for sinus problems. I bought my son a can to use after swimming to rinse the chlorine out of his nose. Last year he was stuffed up all swim season, this year he hasn't had any problems.

the weather here is finally warming up. There's still a lot of ice to melt, but it's supposed to be above freezing for a week. I miss seeing "land".

robertsloan2
03-15-2015, 06:24 AM
Claritin is what I use to keep my allergies at bay and I take it year round because of house dust. But I can't stand nasal sprays, it just grosses me out. I use Vicks when I've got a cold and an herbal tea called Gypsy Cold Cure. It's fantastic, beats Nyquil and all the other over the counter things.

And it's finally more or less over, what's left is the usual allergies stepped up because the management no longer lends vacuum cleaners to tenants' home care workers. So the longer I go without vacuuming the harder it is. I may have to look for one on Freecycle and send my home care guy with the car to go get it, sacrifice a Tuesday errand day to try to get one and hope it's not gigantic.

DB, yay for your seeing dirt soon! Hope your snow melts! Spring is here and weather bounces around, it was super hot yesterday and still hot tonight. After a chill day a hot one, that's what kicks the arthritis is the changes. You didn't answer about whether I could paint your hawk, I still love that reference and can't guess whether you meant to say yes or not. I would love to do a painting of it. Hawks are almost as beautiful as cats!

And yay, painted today as all the exhaustion of going out with the elevator not working wears out. Left me on a funny schedule thogh, it's 2:30am and too hot in here to sleep. I took a walk in the hallway with Ari, let him go sniffing the trail of the other cat in the building down to her room as he always likes doing so we could both cool off. My room gets mysteriously hot. I suspect it's someone on a lower floor with a space heater or the radiator really turned up combined with hot water pipes through one wall. It varies. Sometimes it gets cooler in here on hot days than cold ones!

DBfarmgirl
03-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Robert- I missed your question about the picture- yes you can definitely paint it! I would like to see what you do with it. There have been 2 small hawks hanging around the bird feeder. I haven't gotten a chance to ID the second one, though my sister thinks it must be a female kestrel based on the size.

The 2 white rabbits have been spending a lot of time in my yard. I think they're relocating.

My computer was down for a week getting a transplant, still don't have everything back, but it's much better now. I missed it more than I expected.

robertsloan2
03-17-2015, 03:21 AM
Oh purr, thank you! I love that hawk. Kestrels are beautiful too, I did a colored pencils realism kestrel once. Actually did kestrels twice in that series, had two good references. It would be great if you have a pair of them! They are beautiful small raptors. I think the one I did was a male though, he was very dramatic and had these gorgeous eye markings.

Goofed around today, no painting. But I did have some quality time with my cat and a very long time with my daughter on the phone. Starting to get over the pain from Wednesday's overexertion so maybe tomorrow I can get back on the tulip. Really want to. Got my pastels sorted out today.

And eh, if not will have a go at the hawk! Depends on how messy I want to get... there's always Pans...

CM Neidhofer
03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
My almost five year old granddaughter made and painted an Easter birdhouse. Mom helped her with the glue gun to construct it and Saundra painted it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2015/40633-Saundra_painting_birdhouse.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2015/40633-Saundra_and_birdhouse.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2015/40633-Saundras_birdhouse.jpg

DBfarmgirl
03-26-2015, 08:59 AM
Robert- have you painted the hawk yet?

Christine- the bird house is awesome! I miss kid art projects, I wore a blue macaroni necklace to work for about a year. Enjoy her!

My computer is almost back to normal. I still haven't gotten everything sorted out yet, so I haven't been on it much.

the weather is clearing up a bit here. Spring makes winter almost worth enduring. almost.

I've been spending more time painting lately, hope to post a couple for critique.

robertsloan2
03-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Christine, that bird house is cool! She's getting an early start!

Sorry, haven't painted the hawk yet. Still been wiped out, yesterday's sketches from the garden came out bad or unfinished, might look at them again once I feel up to it but today I'm in a lot of pain and exhaustion. I'm not sure when I'll do it, with how I feel, but I will definitely show you and post here if it's not in pastels. I love the photo. I just can't plan for when.

I've been really out of it this month, no sketching to speak of, that one Spotlight came out well in three sessions though.

ural jones
03-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Christine it is an important part of a grandchilds' life for a grandparent to get involved making something with them. The little bird house is a delightful thing and I'm sure she will keep it forever.
Yesterday, my wife made muffins with our grandson. She let him do most of the job. He even washed up the pans!
He took them home and had Mom & Dad enjoy them,

blr2449
03-26-2015, 08:52 PM
I love the little birdhouse. It's so Spring-y! Can't wait to find out if any birdy families take up residence. :-)

Shirl Parker
03-31-2015, 11:30 PM
Time for a new chat thread. Click here. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20435215#post20435215)