PDA

View Full Version : Exercise-March 2015

trafford
02-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Here is a fun exercise you might like to try sometime.
You put all this stuff into one drawing or painting and believe me it isn't easy, I've played with it twice and couldn't get it all in.

If you want to give it a try please post the results here.

Good luck.......:thumbsup:

3 mountains
1 sidewalk
1 hill
1 car
1 forest
1 road
4 trees all different
1 fire hydrant
1 house
1 dog
1 adult
1 bush
2 children
3 telephone poles with wires
1 bike
1 open window you can see into
1 path
1 clothesline with long red underwear
1 cat
1 mosquito
2 birds
1 worm
1 television aerial
3 clouds
1 airplane
1 small crod of people
1 flower garden
1 fence

Nickel
03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Hi Janet, Hi Everyone!

What? Put all this into a single picture? Good Grief Charlie Brown! What a great idea! What a real brain teaser to combine all the pieces of Janet's puzzle into a cohesive image.

So I tried a rough sketch idea just to see if it was possible to include all the pieces.

Well, I got them all in. The composition is sort of, mostly, horrendous!

Then I asked myself, "Can you make this work? What style are you going to use?"

Well, I haven't decided all the answers. I'll try to exercise my creative mind and see which way I can manipulate these pieces of the puzzle.

Curious to see how the plans comes together and whether any magical serendipity takes over although chances and plans rarely co-exist.

So now that I've decided to try, I am gathering source materials.

So far, I've collected several ideas for most everything but that notorious mosquito.

Are there any muses in the house?

azulparsnip
03-01-2015, 02:23 PM
Nickel - Yes there are muses in the house but you gotta find 'em.....

So glad we are on this hunt together, though. I am SO happy to see you poppin' in.....

Janet - what a delightful expedition!! Is it okay if I bump your thread up to the March project??

trafford
03-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Hi Nickel....bump away Robin.

This was a student exercise in a how to drawing book. There are two student drawings that I looked at long ago....one was sort of an abstract (Imagine? As if it isn't hard enough) I wont peek again, so I can try one more time and be original.

A fun puzzle

CinderellaG
03-02-2015, 08:07 AM
When I first started the list I thought this isnt so bad...but then I kept reading, and reading. Open window that you can see in? Oh my!!
I think I'm going to give this one a try! I will be anxious to see everyone elses interpretation!
Oh, Im new here and my name is Cindy. Nice to meet all of you!

trafford
03-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Hi Cindy...Glad to meet you.

Yes, give it a try. I'm going to give it another whirl this week. When I did it before it looked awful, because I just threw things around. A bird or cat is ok, but all those trees and bushes UGH!

It will be fun to see all the pictures :heart:

tyree
03-05-2015, 09:46 AM
ooohhhh my...this looks awfully hard....im glad I don't have to memorize all the items before putting them into the drawing:lol: yea !!!!! NICKELS here...so glad to see you !!!! missed you..!! tyree:wave: :heart:

Nickel
03-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Good morning Janet, Robin, Cindy, Susan

I am pretty sure why only a few brave people are trying this exercise.
Lol, having drawn out a few different compositions, this is driving me crazy!
Guess I am over thinking?

Janet, abstraction might be a rather good choice!
Will keep trying.

Anybody having luck?

Thinking maybe a little toward a Dali like surrealism might work?

Still the composition is the challenge.

trafford
03-08-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm going to start this week. My last attempts were pretty bad. You can do a house with garden etc but then you have all those stupid different trees and telephone polls you try to fit in at the last moment. I'm trying to think like Grandma Moses, who seems to get a lot of stuff in her paintings.

I don't think you can add extra things like I put grass in and that's not on the list, but I suppose could be part of the garden. I liked my mosquito solution but ended up with an extra adult. Extras we don't need.

:heart:

Nickel
03-10-2015, 01:06 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2015/39040-exercise.jpg

16x20 inches on vintage drawing paper pad
wax crayon

Overall I am pleased with the composition. Considering the cornucopia of items the exercise required, it was fun to try and arrange all the pieces together. Just realized I forgot the mosquito. But I think I got everything else.

My own self critique I realized that I just couldn't pull all this together without trying to have a little compassion for the subject matter. I've spend a lot of time with young children. Wanting them to have a happy home is kind of what the picture became. Here, I loved having two white pets. One is sound asleep on the window seal, maybe not for long because one child is looking out the window. The other animal, a cat, outside mischievous with the worm. While the second child is sure that bicycle is not their brothers but theirs. Poor momma bent over under the clothes line is sure to find her back is hurting by the end of the day.

Use to I didn't believe much in story telling in pictures. I've changed my mind.

The other thing I got carried away with the white crayon. It reminds me to have caution with titanium white paint. The choice of crayon was to help not be so hard on myself to get it right but enjoy the exercise.

I found the source material I collected did not get used. Lol, maybe you can tell that.

The small crowd of people are on the left coming over the hill or going along the hill. Are they angry? Not sure. Maybe so for being not so important. But everything can't be important. They all have Shepard's crook canes. Their idea came from and are in a manner of "Flight into Egypt."

For the flower garden, the red tulips in yellow represent the Spring weather that I wish would arrived.

trafford
03-11-2015, 06:00 AM
You are a genius Nickel. Wonderful drawing and description....I'm sure there is a mosquito flying so fast you can't see it.

I'll have to get to work :heart:

Nickel
03-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Janet, thank you!

Not only do I followed your own artistic work, I so enjoy all the art you post of your mother and father. I know you have a very discerning eye.

Looking forward to you posting your work.

tyree
03-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Nickel...wow..this turned out so well...I love the style...the road heading out to the mountains....and you know I really expected it to be full ..but it has nice space..hope that made sense:rolleyes: ,,,I think it looks terrific without the mosquito:) tyree:wave: :heart:

Nickel
03-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Susan I know exactly what you mean about "nice space. "

Thank you and thanks for looking! :heart:

azulparsnip
03-14-2015, 08:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2015/88676-allthose-things.gif Nice work Nicklel.......I hope you make it to a painting...

Here is my WIP .....it may be hard to see as it's all just lines at this point. Still minus mosquito and forrest..... I'll post it again with some more clarification.

This IS a wonderful exercise. I'd be up for different lists composed by us every month for a while. :cat:

Do I get extra credit cause my adult turned out to look like Jesus??:lol:

oops, that guy looks like he is gonna pee on the worm:rolleyes:

azulparsnip
03-14-2015, 08:12 PM
Nickel , why did you not have the mosquito?? I wanted to look up a "correct" mosquito so have left it for later.

I like your "crowd" they look like they are harvesting or planting a crop.NICE

azulparsnip
03-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Hi Cindy - nice to meet you too!!

azulparsnip
03-15-2015, 05:41 PM
added some color and contrast.....still lack the mosquito....I may do it on a "real" sheet of paper with some clarifications. ......the path trickles back past the bushes (which look like black blobs) that needs some fix in up. and detail on the group....maybe make ' em bigger....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sometimes I get so familiar with the work I can not see where it is heard to see for others....so , please feel free to comment and help me be better...:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2015/88676-thingsah.gif

also the view in the car window has two children (one in car seat) that is probably hard to see too......yeah, it all needs to be done bigger.

trafford
03-16-2015, 08:29 AM
Very nice Robin and pretty too. I'm almost finished with mine...though not as inventive I'm afraid.

Did you notice there is no water mentioned on the list? No lakes, ponds, rivers, swimming pools or even an outdoor shower.:)

Nickel
03-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Great job Robin. I like your work. Each item seems to draw you in and make you think what is happening at each location. I am particularly drawn to looking at the worm and the little girl touching it with her awesome hand. I like the lady on her cell, and dare I say the brave man doing whatever he is doing. I like the way you added the path. And also like the bird on the rear of the bike. The man kneeling does resemble Jesus. What is he watching on the tv?

A tip for when you do get familiar with your work is to use a hand mirror. Stand with your back to your art and hold up the mirror to see your art in a new perspective. Another way to get fresh eyes is to walk away and not look at it for a few days.

Robin, you asked why I left out the mosquito, I just forgot. I had made a check sheet of items, marking them off, but didn't realize until I posted that it was missing.

Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Janet, I did notice no water was on the list. My fire hydrant kept wanting to leak. :angel: Can't wait to see what you come up with. Especially your cat. You do great cats!

tyree
03-17-2015, 06:28 AM
robin...this is so delightful...I love the movement ...and I especially love the leaning pole..and the knealing Jesus...!! tyree:wave:

trafford
03-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Here's my first one...I don't like the clouds bunched together, but it is done. Want to do another a little more abstract...It is fun

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Mar-2015/42757-lots_of_stuff.jpg

Nickel
03-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Janet, great first one! Seems like the subject matter would make a good abstract. Would love to see it.
I like the clouds, forest, birds on the wire. The trees are great, I love the weeping! I like how you added the hill. Very interesting arrangement. Just like music! Great job with the mosquito~

tyree
03-23-2015, 06:21 AM
janet...how very good and clever this is...I love the pup and kat looking thru the panes..!! tyree:wave:

trafford
03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
STARTED DOODLING AND COULDN'T STOP

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Mar-2015/42757-STUFF_IN_PICTURE_copy.jpg

Nickel
03-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Janet, great doddles!
You are addicted!
I like the artistic arrangement!
Sparks the imagination!

azulparsnip
03-29-2015, 09:15 AM
good work, Janet..... that is a VERY swanky fire hydrant!!!!

tyree
03-30-2015, 06:49 AM
janet..this is terrific...I like the one man to the side overlooking all that you've done ! tyree:wave: