PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Paper

edm548
02-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Hi,

Has anyone used Fisher400 artpaper? I have finally used up the last of my sanded papers and need to order more. I thought this paper might be a good alternative.

Ruthie57
02-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Yes I have and I love it! It's similar to Uart 400 I'd say, though to me has a slightly more abrasive feel....nicer colour too.

Devonlass
02-25-2015, 02:30 PM
I love it..the only place I know of to get it here in the US is Proart Panels. It takes lots of layers and is similar to Wallis in my opinion.

robertsloan2
02-26-2015, 01:26 PM
I really like it. Charlie sent me a big piece of white and it was wonderful. A lot like Uart 400 and very bright white. You can get beautiful results on it. Just short of Wallis for intense nice strong tooth. Loads of layering.

Ditte3333
02-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I love it, for me one of the best paper in Europe, I prefer more than Uart.
Ditte

Moqui Steps
03-13-2015, 12:07 AM
We tried some for the first time today. Both I and my wife both like it. I am just learning to do pastels and she has been at it for several years. She is down to her last sheet of Wallis so we need to find a replacement quickly. She tried ampersand panels but they don't hold up well enough for her. I think they must use pumice rather than a more durable grit like aluminum oxide.

Slightly less tooth than the Wallis Professional Grade which feels like 320 or 340 grit to me. I am assuming the "400" in the Fisher name refers to the grit size as it feels like 400 to my fingertip. The finer 400 doesn't seem to cause a waterfall of pastel dust like some of the more coarse surfaces I have tried, yet it really grabs the color well.

It held up well to saturation with water and alcohol as well as multiple scrubbings down to a bare surface with some chamois. Easily accepts many layers of pastel though I haven't counted yet to the point where it isn't taking more.

I usually blend with a a heavy duty fingercot turned smooth side out and cut chunks of pipe insulation foam, rarely with a tortillon. The fingercot blended beautifully. The pipe foam tended to remove the color rather than to blend it. I am thinking a finer texture foam would be better. The tortillon removes too much color for me to use as a blending stick on this paper, but works well for an eraser tool for tight spots.

FYI, you can order the paper direct from alpha-artshop.com in the UK, the official supplier of the Fisher papers and have it shipped to you in the USA for 15 (about $22 US). Free shipping on orders over 300. The pre-made panels from ProArt look like they are well worth the additional cost if you prefer not to make your own panels.

I am anxious to compare it with some UArt, Pastel Premier 360 and Pastel Premier 400 when my first samples of those arrive, but for sure my wife and I will be using the Fisher paper in the future.