PDA

View Full Version : Paradise 1

Cerastes
02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Posted this unfinished painting sometime last year in another forum, anyway have decided to redo it as part of a series of 5*7's I'm working on with a similar theme. This version was 7*7 wide edge canvas in oils.

This is near Boise, ID in mid July. It was 105 Fahrenheit outside and this was the empty back parking lot of a big box store. Boise is surrounded by gray-brown sagebrush desert most of the year not counting irrigated agricultural areas. I found this lush, perfectly landscaped parking lot to be weirdly beautiful but also artificial to the point of being unsettling.

Dcam
02-23-2015, 09:51 PM
I like your your style. Great way to paint foliage.
Parking lots can be beautiful.
Derek

AnnieA
02-24-2015, 01:29 AM
Welcome to WC, and to our new Urban Art/Cityscapes forum, Cerastes! :wave:

I really like this. The pumped up color really does give it a "weirdly beautiful" appearance. Just an aside, but I know what you mean about how areas like this can be unsettling in their artificiality. When flying from Tuscon to LA years ago, I remember that the sudden emerald green golf courses and water features that Phoenix is full of seemed an incredibly strange sight after the miles of desert we had just flown over. Good work, Cerastes!

baptist
02-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Great composition and use of colors....................jan :)

bhavani.krishnan
02-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Very nice! Beautiful colors.

ColinS
02-24-2015, 11:36 PM
I like this too. It has an unsettled mood to it, so you conveyed the scene well.

Wilsonart
02-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Nice lighting.
Really liking the brushwork and colors in the shrubbery.:thumbsup:

Cerastes
02-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll post the new series I'm working on of the Boise area when I get a few more or less finished, and learn how to adjust my camera so they don't look horrid.

Once again I'm so happy about this forum.

Aussiesrus1
03-01-2015, 02:25 AM
Wonderful colors & an interesting composition which displays a pleasing balance of the vertical & horizontal - Well Composed !

Michael