PDA

View Full Version : What about «Painter Essentials 5» from Corel ?

mariemarie
02-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Good afternoon,

I was looking for a friendly user software for casual use and someone referred me «Corel Painter Essentials 5» which sells for $40.00 USD.

I am far from being a «computer person» and I don't know what I should be looking for in a «good» software.

Is this one useful? Anything else to suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Marie

ec_creep
02-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Have you tried this one?
Give it a try, 31-day trial period. I love this one!

https://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

Ron Francis
02-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Much depends on what you want to do with it.
I have seen good reports on GIMP, which is free.

ianuk
02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
There is a lot of open source art/painting software such as Krita and others. Just search open source painting software or open source art software. Krita would probably be the closest to Corel Painter in the free range.

mariemarie
02-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Thank you Ron, ec and ian for your fast replies. It is very much appreciated.

I will give Krita a try to start with.

Marie

Dave Johnson
02-23-2015, 10:01 PM
I have Painter Essentials and have used it for several years. I think it is version 4, and used it to create digital paintings from photographs. Mostly intutive to use, and definitely much easier to use than the full version of Painter. I would suggest downloading a trial version of anything before buying to give it a test run. Also, once you commit to a program and decide to buy it, you should consider getting a pen and tablet. Much easier to use than a mouse, but can cost more than painting software. I saved a lot of money by buying a small Wacom 4x5.

mariemarie
02-24-2015, 08:36 AM
Hi Dave,

I wouldn't have thought of a tablet and pen. It makes a lot of sense.

I will get them if I find myself using the program enough to justify the investment since I don't need them otherwise.

Thanks for the tips,

Marie

Elainepsq
02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi Marie,
I'm not familiar with Painter essentials, but i did use the full blown version for years. I prefer ArtRage, which has a free demo. It's a little hidden on their website, but the full program is only $49.95.
I find Artrage to be one of the best at emulating real paint in texture and in mixing colors, and it is not as hard on your computer as Painter. Painter seemed to bog down my computer, I was constantly waiting for the computer to keep up with it, even when the computer was fairly new. But again, that was the full blown version of Painter, not essentials.
Welcome to the digital forum, feel free to bring your questions over here at any time, and when you have some work to show us, please do so, over in the Digital Showcase.
Elaine

LavenderFrost
02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Remember, if you are going to get a Wacom, they usually include some free software. Look into that before you buy anything.

mariemarie
02-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Hi Elaine & LavenderFrost,

I just saw that my post has been moved. Thanks for your welcome!

I will look into ArtRage since the demo of Painter Essentials didn't impress me.

I still have to check Krita as well as the Wacom.

I will take some time to visit your forum!

Marie