PDA

View Full Version : After Da Vinci Mona Lisa by C Gillim

CinderellaG
02-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Hi all, I have been reading and looking at these beautiful works of art for days. I am new here . I have just gotten back into painting after several years and one of my first paintings (finished in Dec) is the Mona Lisa...Please give me your constructive criticism on her. I hope to be able to just be an artist and not have to work 8 to 12 hr days....Thanks in advance for your critiques and your time! Cindy

CinderellaG
02-23-2015, 09:16 PM
I would really appreciate some feedback if someone would help me out...thanks so much..

Nathalie Chavieve
02-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Hello Cindy and welcome to the "Painting from the Masters " :wave:

Sometimes it can be quiet here and you need some patience and wait to get a response :)

You did a very nice copy. The landscape in the background is very beautiful and you done it masterfully.

Now some critique. In my opinion, you did the Mona Lisa's chin very massive, which gives her a masculine appearance. I suggest that you check the face proportions.
Also the hands looks small.
There is a lack of deeper shadows on the face, neck and hands.

Here is a picture of recently discovered copy of "Mona Lisa" in the Prado museum in Spain. The experts says it was painted in the same time with original Mona Lisa by one of the Leonardo's pupils. Here you can see more clearly the original ( more or less) colors and features which almost disappeared in the original painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2015/189689-gioconda800.jpg

I also think that you can do softer blending of tones and passages from one tone to another, or use glazes and scumbles to create sfumato effect.

I am also a big admirer of Leonardo Da Vinci and now I am working on the copy of "La Belle ferroniere", which will be my second copy of the same painting. I started to do a little study of "Mona Lisa", but it is only a face and shoulders and the canvas is very small.

Please, share your painting process, if you don't mind. Would be interesting to see your approach to Leonardo's technique.

CinderellaG
02-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Thank you Nathalie..I see you are right about the chin. I will work on that some more and on the blending. I think the hands need more light but in measuring I think the size may be about right. now I want to get in the studio and paint on her chin some more. I will post my changes! I saw your work on La Belle Forroniere and it is lovely! I actually thought I might give it a try...

CinderellaG
02-26-2015, 02:43 PM
I have been working on my copy of the Mona Lisa and have made the changes to her chin as well as added more color and shadow. I think I have now lost the famous "Mona Lisa smile" and will need to work to get it back to at least where it was. I also added a glaze to the dress fabric and will be adding more. My question is ...is it getting better...or is it worse than it was? I do think its better but sometimes its hard to see when your "in" it...It's wonderful having the help provided here!
My photos are a little bit washed out but its snow here and I cant go outside to take the pic...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2015/1181973-IMG_3096.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2015/1181973-IMG_3097.JPG

CinderellaG
02-26-2015, 02:49 PM
I also am painting on canvas and I wonder would it have been much better on a prepared board that had been gessoed and sanded? Its very difficult to get this smooth with the canvas texture...

ural jones
02-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Yes, a prepared board will give you better results for your needs.
My portrait for example was painted in a gessoed illustration board. Leonardo painted on pear wood panel.Now, let me say this, you have
got the idea right about blending but what you are currently doing isn't going to yield the results you want. I suggest that you use a value
system of colors that will give you the darks and values to create a smoother curved face, etc.The jaw line is too harse and is a result
of trying to blend instead of paint. If you use the correct colors you
will see the softness of the female face come alive.
Here is Leo's Mona Lisa , here is you WIP and you correction.
I feel you should look at values and not scumbling or blending the wrong colorsAs for my opinion, and that is all it is, you are jutting the jaw out when you really want it to recede and be softened around to the neck...right? Your eyes have improved. You hands are the right size but not the right plumpness....hers are softer and plumper.
Now, I realize that you are in the process of painting and that process takes a lot of time. But hey, it snowing.(by the way, my b-friend lives in Dawsonville) Highlights will help you to show depth and depth is need here.
Deeper shadows recede & highlights come forward and therefore the roundness of the object is shown. Make her neck a little thinner too.Look at he original back and forth to yours and see where yours needs modifying. Lips, eyes, etc it takes time as I said but it is also enjoyable moments for you!

All of this is strictly how I feel about it and anyone who disagrees certainly may do so. remember....you asked me for my help....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2015/1032892-comparions_photo.jpg

sidbledsoe
02-27-2015, 08:08 PM
Here is a picture of recently discovered copy of "Mona Lisa" in the Prado museum in Spain. The experts says it was painted in the same time with original Mona Lisa by one of the Leonardo's pupils. Here you can see more clearly the original ( more or less) colors and features which almost disappeared in the original painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2015/189689-gioconda800.jpg

Hey, this is another copy that also has the two columns on each side. There is another copy near me in Baltimore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculations_about_Mona_Lisa)that has them and experts think that the original mona painting got sliced down in size somewhere along the line. This would seem to lend more credence to that theory! :D
they argue about it, but I can't see why Leo would only put in the stubby end of the column and I can't see why some many students would "invent" those columns.
btw cinderella, yours does not have the column stubs.

Nathalie Chavieve
02-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey, this is another copy that also has the two columns on each side. There is another copy near me in Baltimore (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculations_about_Mona_Lisa)that has them and experts think that the original mona painting got sliced down in size somewhere along the line. This would seem to lend more credence to that theory! :D
they argue about it, but I can't see why Leo would only put in the stubby end of the column and I can't see why some many students would "invent" those columns.
btw cinderella, yours does not have the column stubs.

The mystery will remain mystery, I suppose, as almost everything about Leonardo Da Vinci. It will give some headache to a few more generations in the future too, not only to us. ;)

Here is an article about Vernon Mona Lisa and the most famous copies of Mona Lisa :

http://en.ivankrutoyarov.com/2013/02/mona-lisa-copies.html

CinderellaG
03-01-2015, 07:56 AM
Thank you so much Nathalia, I will keep working on it! I am, having trouble with the right colors but will work more on it today!
Is your B friend and artist? THats great he lives in Dawsonville. I used to teach at the Sr Center (art) I wonder if he knows me??

ianos dan
03-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Hello!
Cheers for your courage to take this master to study !
l remember doing my version ,and l think l followed some already prepared colors ,some of them in their pure state (not combined with any other color),and simply adding hues to my initial imprimatura ,that was followed by a almost pure use of white.
The system used by Leonardo was a simple one ,in the first stages:
1- establishing the drawing with a dark chocolate brown ( could be black and red ocher ,)
2- establishing the form ,this was the stage were a big quantity of white was used ( about 95 %),to build up the form ,and this was done ,by scumbling over the imprimatura ,with this white pigment ,to obtain ,in the most perfect way ,the monochromatic underpainting .In this stage only the form matters ,the color was not yet present ,not in the form we think.
3- using the semiopaque glaze ,to darken the shadows ,tints of burnt umber ,or simply grey green or ,kind of violet hint ,obtained in lights ,only with a lake red probably .
From this stage ,glazes ,from 30 ,to 50 or more stages involved ,to mask ,to hide ,to blur ,to convince optically that the flesh has depth ,distance ,air between the figure and background ,and all around .This was the "matematics of painting" ,as l wanted to call it.
then followed detailing ,that was done probably with the precision of a goldsmith ,with small brushes ,probably custom brushes, kind of one or two hairs on one brush ,to elaborate the patterns of a dress ,or eyelashes ,or the hair itself.
Don't paint a 15 th century painting ,as you paint like a member of your family.try to capture that technique ,because you cannot pain MOna Lisa ,in the style of Velasques ,you need to find the styles developed in Florence.
Maybe you should go with some gazes around her chin ,and cheek bone ,try to give more round aspect .
this was my method on my copy ,maybe it helps you ,http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2015/1165823-mona_stages.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2015/1165823-SP_A0391.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2015/1165823-monalisa4.jpg

ianos dan
03-01-2015, 06:48 PM
if you are painting like in our century ,it will be much more difficult ,because the Mona lisa was not painted with a huge palette ,with 20 colors on it ,he painting ,l will suspect ,2 or 3 colors on a session .
Do you work with already prepared tones? if not ,try to mix the colors separately ,with a palette knife,prepare the tones ,for lights ,highlights,halftones ,shadows.>when this tints are mixed ,put them on the palette ,and start paint.Don't mix with paintbrush ,just apply with it ,and blend ,when you fill with your fingers,the most sensitive tool .
You can do it !

CinderellaG
03-02-2015, 08:19 AM
Thank you all for your time and your help! Dan the step by step you included is awesome. I am feeling like after I fix this painting Ishould start over on a prepared board? Now I am going to try using only 2 or 3 colors on my palette at a time and doing it again. Sid, you are right I did not show the side posts in my painting I will add them thopugh. The photo I was working from did not really show them well. I am learning from all of you that I need to slow down and do more research first. However since this is started I will continue! Nathalie, I did ask for your help and am in no way ever offended! I thank you all for your interest and your time! I feel like I am not alone here because of all of your input! Thank you so much. I will keep you posted!:)

sidbledsoe
03-02-2015, 05:13 PM
You are doing a great job Cinders! (and dan's stuff is always topnotch.)