PDA

View Full Version : Landscape

RandyC
02-22-2015, 07:19 AM
I don't normally paint landscape so let me know what you think.

11" x 14" newspaper mounted on canvas board. I started with a ink drawing, added watercolor then acrylics.

C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Feb-2015/76784-Landscape.jpg

pamkarb
02-22-2015, 07:53 AM
I like it. Has turned out pretty well. But why the newspaper? May be I am not upto that fashion yet?

laf.art
02-22-2015, 07:56 AM
I find this really appealing, the newspaper seems to freshen the landscape

friesin
02-22-2015, 08:34 AM
I like it. The newspaper gives some new accents to this painting

PIZZA SLOTH
02-22-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm planning something like this myself. What kind of adhesive did you use to attach the newspaper to the canvas?

jerrydreesen
02-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Fascinating idea! The newspaper adds an added layer of meaning to the painting. Clever that the article is about Camelot under a serene landscape :-) With the proper sizing, and backing painting like this could be frameable

Artchrispy
02-22-2015, 09:29 AM
This is fantastic. At first glance the newsprint appears to be reflecting off the pond. Great rendering of the leaves and foliage. It's very unique work!

birdhs
02-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Brilliant idea!
pleasing execution
perfect colors
great composition

I feel as if I am sitting on that park bench at the edge of the pond, newspaper in hand, glancing alternately at the view and the paper, back and forth, until they merge, engaged in both views

a perfect way to spend a few hours, the Sunday New York Times and Central Park.

Tanxfersharindiswidus

greggo

PIZZA SLOTH
02-22-2015, 10:29 AM
You know how light passes through a newspaper and you can sort of see what's behind it? That's the impression this gives me.

RandyC
02-22-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

I got the idea for the newspaper years ago from an article in an art magazine. Charcoal on newspaper was trending at the time so I gave it a try and liked it. I couldn't leave well enough alone and progressed to painting on the newspaper.

I use liquatex Matte Gel Medium to adhere the newspaper. For this I covered the canvas board with the gel and hen stuck the newspaper on. I have also glued a bunch of ripped pieces of paper on a canvas board but had to put the gel on the ripped pieces of paper first. That was a big mess.

When the painting is finished and dry I put a coat of Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Matte) on top as a final coat. Someone told me to do that so the newspaper doesn't degrade over time.

PIZZA SLOTH
02-22-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have an abstract with a bunch of open space left on the canvas that I'm planning on filling with bits and pieces of a pamphlet. Y'think the turps/oils in the paint would compromise any adhesive I use? I was thinking of using some 3M spray adhesive on the pieces of pamphlet, and then sticking them to the canvas.

DMSS
02-22-2015, 09:17 PM
The reflections, both of the foliage and of the text, are beautiful. And I love the greens you've used -- they really pop against the blue. The text looks great, and your darks --are they done with ink?-- have lots of depth. A successful piece.

regalou
02-23-2015, 07:56 AM
I really like this effect. My initial reaction was that of standing outside looking into a window and seeing a bit of what's inside but also seeing the reflection of what's behind you on the glass. Did that make sense? Also, if you stand back away from this, it looks very different. Very nice!

Tripod
02-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Thia is extremely effective and a great try and experiment. I was going to comment on using a more appropriate news print until I saw the Camelot ref which fits the forest glade idea.
A smashing job.

Wilsonart
02-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Stunning!
So good to see you and your creative work again Randy!
As always, your ink markings and color combos are intriguing.:thumbsup:

gecko99
02-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Really intriguing - the newspaper has lent a great deal of depth and added to the translucent feeling of the water, I keep scrolling up to look at it again!

Trier
02-23-2015, 09:59 PM
Very likable painting.

This is one of the few I've seen that uses newspaper in a novel and attractive way, IMHO.:thumbsup:

Regards,
Trier

Gollator
02-25-2015, 03:00 PM
I like the newspaper approach, but I also enjoy the painting in itself. The fact that the newspaper orientation stays the same whereas one would expect a mirrored version creates an interesting effect.

Katie Black
02-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Hey Randy! honestly I wasn't sure I liked this at first, it kinda jarred me, but the more I looked at it the more I liked it....the newspaper seems to coalesce with the painting to tell a story.

trufflecat
02-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Quite original and interesting - I like it!